Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I really enjoy working for this particular contract but sometimes my boss can be way out of touch. My departments role is to certify the design & architecture groups proposals, new gear and software. My boss thinks that we should be able to certify everything and our documentation will be bullet proof, no one will have a single question because the document is so clear. But every single time someone will have a moronic question that is covered in the document or it's completely out of scope. We present these certifications to an audience of 45 - 60 engineers so theres bound to be someone who asks something. Unfortunately every time this happens my boss sends us an email saying "guys there should be no questions about these documents" and reiterates it 2 or 3 times a week. Drives me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Am I the only who has a absolutely terrible user desktop at work?

The endpoint load through SCCM (Software) Center, Group Policy and the Proxies we're forced to go through make the whole user experience terrible. This was eventually "escalated" and upon further investigation we found out the cause of our 20% CPU Usage at idle was due to multiple anti-virus programs literally combating each other because they thought the other solution was malicious software.

The best part about this, nothing is happening. The solution would have been too only have one AV Suite but for whatever reason security has gone to management that removing one of the programs will leave the entire company vulnerable to hackers and management claims "Well, we paid for the software. Why would we not utilize software we purchased?".

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 18, 2018

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I woke up with a terrible migraine today. Called my boss to ask if I could wfh. She told me to just take the day and rest and feel better and the stuff I'm working on isn't urgent and I can do it tomorrow.

I have never before had a job like this.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sickening posted:

If I have to look a web dev in the eyes and tell them "Yes, knowing how DNS works on a basic level is a requirement for your job!" one more loving time I am going to throw someone out a loving window.

I am not even expecting them to understands the basics of edge server caching. I am not shooting for the loving moon here.

We have had 4 clients buy services from the same web dev, they host with host gator, and each loving time they've broken email and other poo poo when doing the migration because they don't know DNS; it's annoying.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

If people ask me what they should buy my sentence always starts with "Well at work we use..."

I've had people ask about it for their company (ones they own) where I know they cheap out on their IT support. "It's $3,000/seat every 5 years no matter which way you cut it." I am generally not asked a second time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

guppy posted:

Assuming you don't want to do side work, the best way to handle coworkers hitting you up for free tech support for personal stuff is to have someone else specific to refer them to. "Oh, I don't really do side work, but there's this guy Mike who works at XYZ Computers in (nearby neighborhood), he's who I refer people to." Often it's less about not wanting to pay for it and more about not knowing a trustworthy repair shop; in all my desktop support time I don't think I ever had anyone come back to me after that because they wanted me to do it for free instead.

I generally didn't do side work then and I don't know, but there were a few people who were super nice and I didn't mind helping them now and then.

My old standard was a bottle of single malt, 12 year minimum, 15 for executives. In advance. Got more than a few bottles that way, although none in recent years.

I simply don't support consumer Windows setups, which saves a lot of headaches.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMvY_dBfovU

Tag yourself, I'm the guy slamming and then airpunching the laptop

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

That sounds like a guy my IT director would hire, a (potential) tinkerer.
There are 3 IT job openings on our website and the consensus is that we have to coach our director in not hiring the guy that likes to tinker with hardware/software like it's his homelab.

Username/post combo is excellent.

re: sidework and recommendations, I'm in the same boat as most. I use old stuff at home (usually castoffs from work..) because my needs aren't complex. My personal machine is a 2012 MacBook Pro monster. I'd like a 2013-2015, but $$, and my 2012 works. I pretty much point folks at current i5s and 7s, too.
I haven't had anyone ask about side jobs in a while, but I used to do it some years ago, usually Mac stuff. Made a few bucks doing that, but I'd rather not, now. I do enough computer touching at work.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, showing my ignorance here. Please don't kill me because I still use Putty or whatever.

I inherited an absolute mess of an environment a few years ago and I am finally getting around to deploying a DMZ and moving stuff. Well, I haven't actually started yet, but hopefully soon. I was wondering how insane of an idea it would be to just jump to microsegmentation for a smallish VMware/Microsoft shop. It looks like VMware NSX would be the answer, but it also looks like I'd have to spring for their NSX advanced licensing, which isn't exactly cheap.

I'm just loathe to put in the work to setup a DMZ for it really not to be the "right" answer from that standpoint. Am I being dumb?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
If you've just got a handful of small things inside of your office, perimeter firewalling with a DMZ with its own vlan is fine.

You almost certainly don't want to deal with microsegmentation.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Probably.

Microsegmentation is cool, but if it's a simple enough environment where a traditional firewalled DMZ meets all of your needs and you're a small enough business where the extra costs are a burden, you probably shouldn't do it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for the sanity check. Maybe I'll play around with the concept in a lab on my own time. I was kind of just hoping I could do something like AWS's security groups. I supposed I could use traditional guest firewall rules for that, but I'd rather do it at the hypervisor level for obvious reasons.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Internet Explorer posted:

Thanks for the sanity check. Maybe I'll play around with the concept in a lab on my own time. I was kind of just hoping I could do something like AWS's security groups. I supposed I could use traditional guest firewall rules for that, but I'd rather do it at the hypervisor level for obvious reasons.

NSX is good and stable, but has some weird caveats. They have a very in-depth API for automation but powershell integration relies on a third party PowerNSX module that doesn't cover everything in the API. Most things work though.

If you only need DMZ to Prod rules, microseg is going to be massive overkill. If you want to get in to DMZ -> Prod rules, Prod App A -> Prod App B, Prod App -> Management Services rules, Microseg is your answer.

Though be prepared, the second NSX blocks a single function of an app, every app problem starts with hair-on-fire screaming down the hallways "NSX IS BREAKING MY THING!"

You know that DNS haiku that gets posted here regularly? I edited it to say NSX and hung it in my office, because that's how every day feels now.

source: I'm a key resource for our org's NSX microseg architecture across 20+ vcenters so I'm deep in the poo poo every day.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

In ADFS, using AutoCertificateRollover.
ADFS will generate a new self-signed cert, replacing the current secondary cert, then promote the new cert to primary.

Is the old cert (now the secondary cert) allowed to expire?

I haven't been able to find an explicit answer, and don't feel like waiting 2 weeks to find out

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

NSX is good and stable, but has some weird caveats. They have a very in-depth API for automation but powershell integration relies on a third party PowerNSX module that doesn't cover everything in the API. Most things work though.

If you only need DMZ to Prod rules, microseg is going to be massive overkill. If you want to get in to DMZ -> Prod rules, Prod App A -> Prod App B, Prod App -> Management Services rules, Microseg is your answer.

Though be prepared, the second NSX blocks a single function of an app, every app problem starts with hair-on-fire screaming down the hallways "NSX IS BREAKING MY THING!"

You know that DNS haiku that gets posted here regularly? I edited it to say NSX and hung it in my office, because that's how every day feels now.

source: I'm a key resource for our org's NSX microseg architecture across 20+ vcenters so I'm deep in the poo poo every day.
1. gently caress SpoofGuard
2. gently caress NSX agents. We use PaloAlto virtual firewalls and neither PaloAlto nor VMware seems really comfortable with the idea of their two products being integrated.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Fool posted:

In ADFS, using AutoCertificateRollover.
ADFS will generate a new self-signed cert, replacing the current secondary cert, then promote the new cert to primary.

Is the old cert (now the secondary cert) allowed to expire?

I haven't been able to find an explicit answer, and don't feel like waiting 2 weeks to find out

Old certs expire, that's all that happens to them. Are you wondering what happens to the things signed by the older certificate? They will need to be re-issued under the new one. This should (tm) happen automatically. Looks like you can follow these steps to verify things:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-fs/operations/configure-ts-td-certs-ad-fs

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Old certs expire, that's all that happens to them. Are you wondering what happens to the things signed by the older certificate? They will need to be re-issued under the new one. This should (tm) happen automatically. Looks like you can follow these steps to verify things:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-fs/operations/configure-ts-td-certs-ad-fs

I'm basically just wondering if I look at the the ADFS management window in two weeks, will I see an expired cert listed as the secondary cert until the rollover process sees that the primary needs to get renewed again.

This was a question that came up while re-issuing metadata xml files to a couple vendors.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I woke up with a terrible migraine today. Called my boss to ask if I could wfh. She told me to just take the day and rest and feel better and the stuff I'm working on isn't urgent and I can do it tomorrow.

I have never before had a job like this.

Because I am a deeply broken sadbrain I would take this as an obvious indication she was trying to get rid of me.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner posted:

Because I am a deeply broken sadbrain I would take this as an obvious indication she was trying to get rid of me.

Just to reiterate for the person you quoted, this is not correct in any way.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Podima posted:

I'm sure it's not.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Mannnnn. I got some great feedback on a ticket and a seriously big clap on the back from one of our higher ups. Goddamn that feels loving good and the client honestly made it easy because he was so nice.

I was weary taking a job at a MSP but so far I've been pleasantly surprised. My coworkers are all fun and funny and not angry neck beards, I'm getting experience with a whole bunch of stuff only 3 weeks in and I've been assured I won't be on help desk permanently. 2 people moved on to new places so I won't be bottom on the totem pole for long.

What a weird feeling after that unemployed hopelessness set in around June.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Podima posted:

Oh I know! We had a staff meeting on Friday where they told us that they only hire 1% of applicants. Yay I'm in the 1%!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
On the other hand, what if:
Report: Today The Day They Find Out You’re A Fraud

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Reminds me of the guy whose job forgot about him. His story is a good pick me up of possible futures.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I just don't understand why the Onion published my shrink's notes about our last session? Seems unethical for her to have given them those?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Schadenboner posted:

I just don't understand why the Onion published my shrink's notes about our last session? Seems unethical for her to have given them those?

On a serious note, this is a very common feeling among people in the IT field. I think that if you're smart enough to critically analyze your strengths and weaknesses, and you understand how much you don't know, it's reasonable to feel incompetent.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I love this article so much.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

On a serious note, this is a very common feeling among people in the IT field. I think that if you're smart enough to critically analyze your strengths and weaknesses, and you understand how much you don't know, it's reasonable to feel incompetent.

On the other hand, some of us are definitely frauds and do get found out. And I'm definitely one of them, and I will.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

On the other hand, some of us are definitely frauds and do get found out. And I'm definitely one of them, and I will.

I've already been found out, but everyone responsible is turning a blind eye to save face.

oh poo poo is this the management track?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
That's what "don't worry about metrics, it's about quality of work" really means, right?

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Schadenboner posted:

I feel you. There is a meeting in 5 hours about a ticket I wrote a bunch of documentation on. I wasn’t invited because I’m doing downtime work at 3:00am this week and won’t be in that early. I can’t help but feel like the discussion is actually about how terrible I am and not the actual ticket.

I think between all the retail I worked when I was younger and the decade at my last place has broken my brain.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
This is pretty interesting to read. I’ve also almost always felt inadequate when it comes work and some other things. It does explain some of the personalities working IT jobs.

It’s a little depressing too. Sometime in my career I like to imagine I’ll finally reach that magical promised land and finally be happy but who am I kidding. :sigh:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
[quote="Obsoletely Fabulous" post="488091754"]
I feel you. There is a meeting in 5 hours about a ticket I wrote a bunch of documentation on. I wasn’t invited because I’m doing downtime work at 3:00am this week and won’t be in that early. I can’t help but feel like the discussion is actually about how terrible I am and not the actual ticket.

I think between all the retail I worked when I was younger and the decade at my last place has broken my brain.
[/quote

Yeah retail broke me too. I've been out over 5 years and I still have trouble remembering that I'm not actually going to be disciplined for stupid stuff anymore.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
While I'd like to think that working for a very small business who contracted to very large government agencies on a shoestring budget broke my brain, it was probably already too late for me. Either way, I'm very thankful I've passed that part of my career.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Anyone have a good choice for Asset Management, CMDB through Cherwell and SCCM is making me want to throw my computer through the window and follow it down. We need something that can track all our computers what and where and the internals are and that ties into AD and In Tune for on/off domain computers respectively.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Timely.

I am extremely hard on myself in general and for like the past month or so I have been in a tremendous feedback loop of imposter syndrome, worthlessness, and guilt ("I'm awful and ashamed that I can't instantly find the answer to this issue, and so they hate me, I shouldn't be here, and therefore [repeat from beginning, infinitely]" that I eventually figured I was quite likely making my user's lives a living hell. It was following me home after work and haunting me on my weekends and just kind of generally making me loving miserable, so I guess I was kind of making my own life a living hell, too. But yeah, I was pretty much paralyzed and almost completely checked out of any real productivity for literally a month, without even particularly noticing, at the time. I have no idea how my supervisors or anyone else hadn't said anything, but I'm kind of isolated and have a tremendous amount of freedom here as long as nobody complains to upper management.

I only just broke out of it a few days ago once I realized that this feels exactly like some of the other really tremendous legitimate failures I've had in the past, that weren't even particularly my fault, and were just the result of lovely companies making lovely decisions. So, now that I'm in a place where I have all the control I could possibly ever want (probably more, actually), why the gently caress am I choosing to feel like this, and create some bizarre masochistic self-fulfilling prophecy of failure? That's loving stupid, and if I keep doing this, I'm DEFINITELY awful. Instead, I could, I don't know, bust rear end, and at least... only maybe be awful?

So, for the past few days I've been buckling down and tackling all these projects that have been hanging over my head for weeks and touched base with a bunch of users expecting them to be furious and yell and throw things and generally try to throw me into a wood chipper, and instead by and large the responses I've gotten have been "What? Oh, no, that issue pretty much fixed itself a while ago. I forgot it was even a thing. Hey, how've you been lately, though? We haven't talked for a while!" and so now I feel like a different kind of idiot. In a good way, though. Not only that, since I feel like there's a huge soul-crushing weight that's no longer there, I can actually think about technical problems (instead of psychological ones), and start solving a lot of the stuff I thought was impossible earlier.

There may or may not still be some fallout from that whole thing, but I'm fine with that. I know where I hosed up, and I'm pretty sure I know how to keep it from happening again.

Brains are weird, man. :iiam:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

LionYeti posted:

Anyone have a good choice for Asset Management, CMDB through Cherwell and SCCM is making me want to throw my computer through the window and follow it down. We need something that can track all our computers what and where and the internals are and that ties into AD and In Tune for on/off domain computers respectively.

What version of SCCM are you using? We use current branch and after a bit of learning pains with its weird query language i can create pretty much any report/query in few minute, intune integration is pretty much reliant on having CB and not 2012 so maybe that's the issue?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

nominal posted:

Brains are weird, man. :iiam:
No joke.

I've been dealing with ADHD for basically my whole life. It was misdiagnosed as obsessive-compulsive traits when I was a kid, because psychiatrists in the '90s didn't understand the hyperfocus component of ADHD yet. Some of those symptoms have gotten worse in the last few years, probably because of stress and anxiety. I put some solid effort into figuring out how to manage those symptoms earlier this year. I got them under control! Then, having them under control made me depressed. The depression made me pretty ineffective since, I don't know, about late June or so. I sort of snapped out of it this week.

I was talking to a friend about hyperfocus, and this one week last year where I was on fire and managed to get more done than the preceding sixteen weeks. Something about the way I phrased it finally triggered the "yeah, dude, that doesn't actually sound right" reflex in my head, and I started considering bipolar disorder. It hadn't really crossed my mind because I've never had what could be considered a major depressive episode. But based on the DSM-V criteria I'm pretty sure I also have cyclothymia, and the week I was describing was mostly hypomania. Before I even got around to talking to my wife about it, she called me out on behaving like I was having a manic episode. So, I guess I'm on the good long road to having some better idea how my dumb head is misbehaving.

Brains.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

What version of SCCM are you using? We use current branch and after a bit of learning pains with its weird query language i can create pretty much any report/query in few minute, intune integration is pretty much reliant on having CB and not 2012 so maybe that's the issue?

SCCM is working well its more CMDB thats annoying me we need to figure out a better way to do hardware tracking and live updating because we can't trust people to manually put stuff into CMDB and I don't wanna do it manually anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I have somehow become the project manager for a SaaS implementation in our warehouse. this means I am responsible for equipment purchasing, having electricians come out and wire power, mapping out the production lines in the warehouse, mapping out production schedules and SKU information required, and being the only person on a weekly 'status update' call about our implementation timeline. I have to have my team do the actual IT side of this project while I am somehow now an Ops guy :(