Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
bringing in a qoute from AI eletric car thread

Warrior Princess posted:

I just bought a 2018 volt. I live in a forsaken land and had to drive 230 miles just to buy one. Got a fully loaded premier with an out-the-door cost of 34k. Tack on the incentive as a downpayment on a refinance in March and oh my god a 41k car for like 26k.

I don’t know how I lived without adaptive cruise before but I’m ruined now. As soon as I got home I had to play Electrician. The gfci outside was fried, so I replaced it last night. It took 11 hours to go from empty to full at 12amp 120v. There’s going to be a two month gap where I’m not making car payments now so I’ll use that money to install a level 2 charger.

I feel like a kid again in this thing. 0-30 in 2 seconds lmao.

honestly tesla should be less valuable then GM and not 6~ times the value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

wargames posted:

bringing in a qoute from AI eletric car thread

honestly tesla should be less valuable then GM and not 6~ times the value.

market cap has no relevance to anything.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The stock market reflects one thing and one thing only: a company's ability to pay dividends. Nothing more, nothing less. AT&T has taken out loans to be able to pay dividends, otherwise its stock would crater (despite being profitable as a company), because a company's public perception lives and dies on the stock market because...

You loving guessed it!

:capitalism:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Death to capitalism, by the way

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

iospace posted:

The stock market reflects one thing and one thing only: a company's ability to pay dividends. Nothing more, nothing less. AT&T has taken out loans to be able to pay dividends, otherwise its stock would crater (despite being profitable as a company), because a company's public perception lives and dies on the stock market because...

You loving guessed it!

it's bad

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Vomik posted:

market cap has no relevance to anything.

it indicates the value the ~~free market~~ attaches to them, and while that has issues i don't think there is any other number with the least bit of credibility

i mean, the irrationality is the entire point of this thread, if tesla had a 90% lower valuation i personally wouldn't find shittalking them that interesting (well, union busting is lovely at any scale)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

prior use is no big deal. one of the requirements of having a security clearance is not smoking pot while you have the clearance. executives of companies like spacex are required to have security clearances to do business with the government

the problem from the DOD's point of view is that musk probably has no idea what having a clearance means so they'll revoke it which means spacex loses its launch contracts unless musk resigns
it doesn't matter, no one cares, and there's no air force investigation. as i said in this very thread, the little blurb that said there was was one was fake

all those rules only matter when you aren't a C-level

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bhodi posted:

it doesn't matter, no one cares, and there's no air force investigation. as i said in this very thread, the little blurb that said there was was one was fake

all those rules only matter when you aren't a C-level

it'll matter to elon though? where do you think those air force folks will get jobs after they retire? probably not spacex

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it indicates the value the ~~free market~~ attaches to them, and while that has issues i don't think there is any other number with the least bit of credibility

i mean, the irrationality is the entire point of this thread, if tesla had a 90% lower valuation i personally wouldn't find shittalking them that interesting (well, union busting is lovely at any scale)

its not interesting at any valuation because I don't own tesla stock.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

iospace posted:

AT&T has taken out loans to be able to pay dividends

lmao. that's just lovely.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

This is the correct DoD method.

"And we'll call it SpaceY"

no, it'll be "not spacex" because musk thinks that's hilarious

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

iospace posted:

You loving guessed it!

Amazon's stock is almost $2k a share and they've never paid a dividend

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

President Beep posted:

lmao. that's just lovely.

Yup. It's why stock of company's crater when they announce that they made less than expected profits. It means that the shareholders who are in it for dividends are less likely to be paid out what they expect, and thus the confidence, and thus the stock price, goes down.

It's effectively legalized gambling, more analogous to sports betting than slot machines and table games (though sports betting in the US at this point is also effectively legal via SCOTUS). You're placing a bet that the team (company) you support will do this well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FAUXTON posted:

Amazon is also the company that treats its workers like utter poo poo, and investors are hoping that it becomes the norm so more money ultimately flows to them. See also: Uber. There's other reasons why stock does well, but that's the main reason that I mentioned.

Also, reminder that investors freaked the gently caress out when Delta decided, mid-contract, to give its pilots and flight attendants raises. One even said "Labor gets paid while the investors get scraps."

which is how it should be, fuckface.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

iospace posted:

Amazon is also the company that treats its workers like utter poo poo, and investors are hoping that it becomes the norm so more money ultimately flows to them. See also: Uber. There's other reasons why stock does well, but that's the main reason that I mentioned.

Also, reminder that investors freaked the gently caress out when Delta decided, mid-contract, to give its pilots and flight attendants raises. One even said "Labor gets paid while the investors get scraps."

Amazon treats its workers worse than poo poo because usually poo poo gets buried.

Do you think Amazon would even notice a worker dropping dead in one of their oven warehouses?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Amazon treats its workers worse than poo poo because usually poo poo gets buried.

Do you think Amazon would even notice a worker dropping dead in one of their oven warehouses?
as i recall, they notice and keep their own ambulances on contract because if they use public / outside ones they have to report those figures

e: just looked, they kept them on site to treat people with dehydration and heat stroke so they could be treated and sent back to work rather than to a hospital

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FAUXTON posted:

Nope. Neither would Elon, for what it's worth, to loop this back on topic.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018
I'm too stupid to put something witty here. Sorry. :canada:

iospace posted:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my friend who works in the aws division of amazon swears up and down that the stories about their warehouses are untrue and even if they are, amazon pays above minimum wage so it's okay. it's incredible how much he has drank the kool-aid.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

iospace posted:

I remember this at least once a week and it makes my blood boil every time

Steel workers about to go on strike, by the way. They're none too pleased that the execs are making millions in bonuses while their pay has only gone up marginally.

Endless Mike posted:

my friend who works in the aws division of amazon swears up and down that the stories about their warehouses are untrue and even if they are, amazon pays above minimum wage so it's okay. it's incredible how much he has drank the kool-aid.

First thing I'd ask him is how much time he's spent in one of their warehouses in the past 6 months

Second is how much Amazon is paying him to swallow their poo poo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i lust for a full-on worker's revolt in just about every industry

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

wait he could call it "spacexy" he might actually do it

space s 3 x

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Not a Children posted:

I remember this at least once a week and it makes my blood boil every time

Steel workers about to go on strike, by the way. They're none too pleased that the execs are making millions in bonuses while their pay has only gone up marginally.

Yup, the tariffs are creating more demand for US steel. The steelworkers are asking for a 3% raise year one, 2% years two and three, and 1% years three through six, I believe (numbers may be wrong). A strike is coming soon, and steelworkers are not people you can just pick off the street to do the job.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

iospace posted:

It's effectively legalized gambling, more analogous to sports betting than slot machines and table games (though sports betting in the US at this point is also effectively legal via SCOTUS). You're placing a bet that the team (company) you support will do this well.
im the non-voting stock that removes any doubt that it's just gambling

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iospace posted:

Yup, the tariffs are creating more demand for US steel. The steelworkers are asking for a 3% raise year one, 2% years two and three, and 1% years three through six, I believe (numbers may be wrong). A strike is coming soon, and steelworkers are not people you can just pick off the street to do the job.

doesn't mean they won't try

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i lust for a full-on worker's revolt in just about every industry

join the iww, comrade

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

i believe the traditional military industrial complex thing to do is to find a clearable minority veteran woman to run a shell company that subcontracts everything to spacex :v:

the company name shall be spacexx

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

graph posted:

join the iww, comrade

I've done this but need to participate more :(

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

the company name shall be spacexx

SpaceEggs

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ADINSX posted:

I've done this

👍

ADINSX posted:

I've done this but need to participate more :(

invest emotionally when the time is right for you

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not a Children posted:

First thing I'd ask him is how much time he's spent in one of their warehouses in the past 6 months

Second is how much Amazon is paying him to swallow their poo poo
none and quite a bit

he claims "the culture" won't let it happen, but it's such a big company that there's going to be "a few bad actors"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

iospace posted:

The stock market reflects one thing and one thing only: a company's ability to pay dividends. Nothing more, nothing less.

wrong

iospace posted:

right

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Explain

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Endless Mike posted:

none and quite a bit

he claims "the culture" won't let it happen, but it's such a big company that there's going to be "a few bad actors"

I mean thats fair in a way, its such a big company that the entire warehouse management layer could be described as one huge bad actor, but its a relatively small part of the overall company.

The same way a company's board can be utterly corrupt but in terms of percentage of employees its just a few bad actors guys!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

You shouldn't call it a Reign of Terror just because of a few executions.

Let's not lose our heads over this, people.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, I see. I thought you had new information to share other than things I already acknowledged.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
yes yes but you see the price of amazon is totally justified by expectation of future dividends, it has nothing to do with speculation that some future idiot wants to buy in at an even dumber price than you

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DELETE CASCADE posted:

some future idiot wants to buy in at an even dumber price than you

ding ding

it's just like the price of bitcoins

just gambling on the future price of an asset

if you have five figgies in aapl you get about $200/quarter or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

graph posted:

join the iww, comrade

friend of mine is a pharmacist and tried but they don't accept pharmacists or the form doesn't have an entry for it or something