Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Internet Explorer posted:

Re:MES - Those of you with issues on the panel, do you have it covered from rain and/or do you use a cover for it?

Hell no. All panel issues I've had were from doing everything the owners manual says not to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's good to know. I try to keep good care of stuff as much as I can, so I've always covered my grill and the first thing I bought with my MES was a cover for it. Got blown away, so I bought another and secured it with a bungee cord.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-30-Inch-Electric-Smoker-Cover/dp/B002VZZ1W4

I've actually been thinking about getting the legs for it to, that way it's not sitting somewhere that water could be pooling under it.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20101114-Universal-Electric-Extension/dp/B00Q1VJG52

I was grilling on my father in laws grill about a year ago. It was super dark and he didn't have any lights so it took me a moment to realize that the entire bottom of the grill had rusted out. Essentially, all it had was the heating elements. It was bad, to the point where tall grass was growing up into the grill. I was wondering why I was having a hard time getting things up to temp....

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Don't get me wrong. I treat my stuff with respect... But the masterbuilt can take a beating. If it was a big chief or a Webber, I'd be much more careful. But the masterbuilt is stainless all around, and what isn't stainless is thick plastic. It'll survive. But I do need a new sticker to cover the buttons.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I'm more of a tech guy so I tend to baby my mechanical things, probably overly so, because I am less able to fix them.

It is a great testament to how durable the MES are.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

jonathan posted:

Hell no. All panel issues I've had were from doing everything the owners manual says not to do.

Explains my marriage.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

jonathan posted:

Don't get me wrong. I treat my stuff with respect... But the masterbuilt can take a beating. If it was a big chief or a Webber, I'd be much more careful. But the masterbuilt is stainless all around, and what isn't stainless is thick plastic. It'll survive. But I do need a new sticker to cover the buttons.

Uh, every Weber model I've owned has endured the ages like it's meant to survive humanity. The first time I've had issues with one was with the ash removal spinner thing on the one my dad gave me from 1996, so it lasted for pretty much 18 years before showing the first signs of deterioration.

I know they're comically overpriced, but not lasting long isn't a complaint I've ever heard about Weber models

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I literally set my weber on fire and it was fine. Only thing that burned off was the wheels.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In case of natural disaster I move my valuables into my Genesis Silver and push it to the end of the driveway.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'll douse my MES in gasoline, set it on fire, hook a chain on it and tow it around the block while it is in flames. And somehow it will still make a great brisket. (That is if the 2000' of extension cord doesn't run out.)

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
My cheap offset smoker survived Harvey (it was tucked in a corner and there wasn't much rain in my area).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tezcatlipoca posted:

My cheap offset smoker survived Harvey (it was tucked in a corner and there wasn't much rain in my area).

Just why didn't you smoke something in a hurricane?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Just why didn't you smoke something in a hurricane?

I made kolaches or empanadas instead since I couldn't keep a fire going with the wind.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I made kolaches or empanadas instead since I couldn't keep a fire going with the wind.

You are a drat good person.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
My friend's 22" WSM (minus the plastic handles) survived the Santa Rosa fire, which completely burned his house down around it. It was literally the tallest thing left standing on his lot. You don't have to baby it.

Weber sent him replacement handles for free.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I am smoking a prime rib for my dad's bday this weekend. My only concern is how I will transport it to his house an hour away without it cooling too much. Thinking I may do the majority cooking on the smoker and reverse sear in the oven when I get there to finish. Thoughts?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

I am smoking a prime rib for my dad's bday this weekend. My only concern is how I will transport it to his house an hour away without it cooling too much. Thinking I may do the majority cooking on the smoker and reverse sear in the oven when I get there to finish. Thoughts?

Wrap it with foil and towels, put it in a cooler. Will stay nice and toasty that way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The oven reverse sear will work OK for the outer bits, but if it has any effect on the center of the meat then congrats you've overcooked it after all your hard work.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
What about a Iron skillet at max temp out on his gas grill or something? Just 30 seconds a side would finish the prime rib off.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Keyser_Soze posted:

What about a Iron skillet at max temp out on his gas grill or something? Just 30 seconds a side would finish the prime rib off.

Sure, but it won't solve the "roast generally cooled" problem.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Crazyeyes posted:

How big is it?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

jonathan posted:

Moose roast: Don't do moose roast. Turn it into ground moose or sausage instead.

My friend has a bunch of frozen moose and elk. He gave me an 8lb moose roast. I thawed it, oiled it and rubbed it the same way I would usually do beef: garlic, pepper, light on the salt, small amount of cayenne.

There's no way you could cook it medium rare and have it tender, so I figured maybe I could cook it like a brisket and possibly it would get tender ? I pulled it at 203 and tried a little bit. For one, the bark was horrid. It was nothing like the same rub on beef. And the inside, while stringy, was not tender at all. You could cut it easily but it was not edible.

Also that small amount of salt? It was as if it was drawn to the very center of the roast. Like the salt was extremely powerful even though I barely used any.

Luckily I was cooking solo and it was just an experiment. I ended up tossing it out. But I felt bad about tossing it so I did a pork shoulder for Chris. It finished at 1am, I shredded it, stuck it in a container and went to bed. Tried a bit this morning and it was good.

Moose is good for tjälknöl. Also sjömansbiff, google translate this:
http://www.barariktigmat.se/index.php/kott/vilt/item/180-sjomansbiff-pa-alg

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I had some great lemon-pepper ribs yesterday from a local bbq place. I got take-out or I would have taken hostages to get the rub recipe. Anyone have one they really like? This was pretty heavy on the lemon.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can use citric acid instead of lemon juice to keep your rub dry and not mess with your bark.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hmm, yeah. I was wondering about brushing with lemon oil before applying the rub, too. Wonder if I have time to dry the zest out first.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I got a 22" Weber classic at Target yesterday for $44! They're clearing out their summer stock. Check Brickseek for local stock if you want to try and find one.

I'm probably going to drop my Stok cast iron grate in there but drat this thing vents and heats much better. Can't wait to throw a big shoulder on there this weekend.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This is an awesome deal.. too bad I live in an apartment... Only electric and or propane for me.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Crazyeyes posted:

If it's a big roast, in the 8-10 lbs range, I know from experience that it will stay warm on the kitchen counter with a towel draped over it for 35-40 minutes. I imagine that if you take the advice above about wrapping it and putting it in a cooler it will be fine.

I also always sear prime rib after it rests and just before serving, usually under the broiler for a couple of minutes frequently checking for the perfect amount of crusted but not burned.

It will be great.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
First time doing pork belly burnt ends! These went on the smoker on racks for ~3 hours, into foil covered trays for ~1hr and uncovered for 30m before pulling them off.

Served with rice and some quick pickled cucumbers and radishes:

Everything was great and I will definitely be doing these again.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Random Hero posted:

First time doing pork belly burnt ends! These went on the smoker on racks for ~3 hours, into foil covered trays for ~1hr and uncovered for 30m before pulling them off.

Served with rice and some quick pickled cucumbers and radishes:

Everything was great and I will definitely be doing these again.

drat that looks good. What did you use for rub? Is the liquid in the pan pic just the juices from the meat or is it something else?

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Trastion posted:

drat that looks good. What did you use for rub? Is the liquid in the pan pic just the juices from the meat or is it something else?

I tried to with a bit of a sweet & spicy Asian style so the rub was a fairly standard pork rub (salt, pepper, garlic, onion, brown sugar, paprika, cayenne) with some five spice mixed in. After the initial smoke, it went into a tray with a little more of the rub, some Korean BBQ sauce and a little butter.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

That's impressive. How tender were they and what temp did you use?

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

That's impressive. How tender were they and what temp did you use?

Texture was perfect in my opinion... Just before melt in your mouth so there was a little bite to them but no chew. I had the smoker pretty stable between 250-275 most of the time.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I bought a Brisket flat and a Pork Belly Slab from Costco. Was planning on making those burnt ends and then use most of the brisket in some Chili.

My heating element seems to have died on my MES...

I have the brisket and pork belly cubes in the smoker right now with the AmazeN going full blast to get some smoke into them. Going to pull them out in a bit and throw it into the oven at 250 and hope it turns out ok.

Debating if I get a new element from MB or I upgrade to the new version which i have been wanting anyways. I know an element will be cheaper and that is good but I also don't know if it is the element or the control panel since that is messed up at least as far as the display.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Get a new element and sell it for more than what it's currently worth broken? I'm assuming a working, used MES is worth more than a new heating element.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

atothesquiz posted:

Get a new element and sell it for more than what it's currently worth broken? I'm assuming a working, used MES is worth more than a new heating element.

I emailed MB support to see what a new element will run me. I have had the thing since March 2014 so I definitely got my money out of it so far. I will probably just replace the element and keep using it for a couple more years.

As for the Brisket and Pork belly they turned out alright. A little over 4 hours in the over at 300 degrees. Most of the brisket is in 2 big pots of chili I am making right now. I did save a few slices for sandwiches tho.

Pork burnt ends will probably be used with some Udon noodles. I am going to freeze some of them so I can thaw and reheat later.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I think it is the $30-$40 range and was fairly simple to install.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Man anyone with an MES needs to get a pellet tube. I've used it for both cold smokes and normal 225 degree smokes and it makes a huge difference in flavor. Got a huge bag of traeger hickory pellets for $15 at costco this weekend and it should last me for at least a year.

Made baby back ribs with a rub of spices I had handy, dried ribs and coated in djion mustard before applying. Smoked 6 hours with a 2 hour foil wrap.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
^^^ What is in the bowls?

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think it is the $30-$40 range and was fairly simple to install.

Their email said it is $19.99, I assume there will be tax and shipping too though. I haven't ordered it yet because they want me to have the serial number when I call in to order and I keep forgetting to grab it when I get home from work.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Trastion posted:

Their email said it is $19.99, I assume there will be tax and shipping too though. I haven't ordered it yet because they want me to have the serial number when I call in to order and I keep forgetting to grab it when I get home from work.

Ah hell even better. They are easy to deal with over the phone.

They include new leads in the kit that you splice into the wiring since often times they are shot/burned up when the element goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Trastion posted:

^^^ What is in the bowls?

Neighbor made chocolate pudding and put it in mini graham cracker crusts with strawberry on top. It was pretty good.