Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

iospace posted:

Amazon is also the company that treats its workers like utter poo poo, and investors are hoping that it becomes the norm so more money ultimately flows to them. See also: Uber. There's other reasons why stock does well, but that's the main reason that I mentioned.

Also, reminder that investors freaked the gently caress out when Delta decided, mid-contract, to give its pilots and flight attendants raises. One even said "Labor gets paid while the investors get scraps."
i am coming to think of getting angry at individual companies for this stuff as daft because it goes on absolutely everywhere. decided it's more productive to get angry at my representatives for having laws that allow it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ate all the Oreos posted:

friend of mine is a pharmacist and tried but they don't accept pharmacists or the form doesn't have an entry for it or something

If they're looking for which industrial union to specify, they'd be under 601 (Health Service Workers). But that shouldn't be a bar to joining, and you can switch if necessary (eg I switched into 690 for a time).

literally the only bar to joining would be if they don't meet these requirements:

quote:

You are a worker (not an employer);
You agree to abide by the IWW Constitution and regulations of this organization;
You agree to study the IWW's principles and make yourself acquainted with its purposes.; and
You want to join us

feel free to PM if you wanna talk in more detail about this or get them some help with joining

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 19, 2018

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

coffeetable posted:

i am coming to think of getting angry at individual companies for this stuff as daft because it goes on absolutely everywhere. decided it's more productive to get angry at my representatives for having laws that allow it

you're getting there, but why not try going one step further out and getting angry at the system that causes it

(capitalism must be destroyed)

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

coffeetable posted:

the representatives are just puppets for the companies and the people at the companies are doing individually what makes sense for themselves

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Chalks posted:

SpaceEggs

it'd be either SpaceEX or SpaceXXX but I think the former is more likely

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
most stocks don't pay dividends, and may never pay a dividend. paying a dividend is basically a tax obligation for the recipient (and not deductible by the payer) and an admission by the company that they don't know what else to do with the money other than return some of it to shareholders. its just moving money around and provides an alternative from selling the underlying stock for cash

companies like apple issue bonds to pay dividends instead of repatriating the cash held overseas because again, dividends are not deductible, but interest payments are, and interest rates are hilariously low, so they can issue debt at a few % interest versus paying taxes at 20%+

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

comedyblissoption posted:

im the non-voting stock that removes any doubt that it's just gambling

I still am in awe of that getting approved.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

If they're looking for which industrial union to specify, they'd be under 601 (Health Service Workers). But that shouldn't be a bar to joining, and you can switch if necessary (eg I switched into 690 for a time).

literally the only bar to joining would be if they don't meet these requirements:

feel free to PM if you wanna talk in more detail about this or get them some help with joining

what defines an employer cause only a company would be an employer, not a person.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Shaggar posted:

what defines an employer cause only a company would be an employer, not a person.

years ago i was told that you couldn't be in the iww if you could hire or fire someone. don't know how official that is/was though.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol if true

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shaggar is the Tesla of cars. Thinks he's all that, but really everyone hates him

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

iospace posted:

Shaggar is the Tesla of cars. Thinks he's all that, but really everyone hates him

ooh

ooh

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

lol if true

unions have a clear delineation from management and not having one results in stupid poo poo like police "unions" with zero chance of any kind of balanced accountability structure

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in canada at least i believe the police union is technically a "Professional Association"

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
guys they replaced dividends with stock buybacks a while back. try to keep up ok

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

iospace posted:

The stock market reflects one thing and one thing only: a company's ability to pay dividends.

this is 100% false lmao

did you pull that take out of a lovely 1960s textbook (not that it was even true then)

incels interlinked posted:

most stocks don't pay dividends, and may never pay a dividend. paying a dividend is basically a tax obligation for the recipient (and not deductible by the payer) and an admission by the company that they don't know what else to do with the money other than return some of it to shareholders. its just moving money around and provides an alternative from selling the underlying stock for cash

companies like apple issue bonds to pay dividends instead of repatriating the cash held overseas because again, dividends are not deductible, but interest payments are, and interest rates are hilariously low, so they can issue debt at a few % interest versus paying taxes at 20%+

correct.

certainly when you're a company that has decided to start paying dividends to stockholders, it becomes expected you will continue to do so as long as possible, and you'd even end up in a situation where a company would do short term loans and poo poo to pay out because suddenly missing a payment looks mad sketchy.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

"the working class and the employing class have nothing in common" is literally one of the slogans of iww and lol if you think your off the cuff "well actually" is more powerful than the legacy of hundreds of people who lived, worked, fought and died for the One Big Union, or, hell, Marxism

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle

also tesla sucks

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
shareholders expect dividends and i need cash now!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fishmech posted:

this is 100% false lmao

did you pull that take out of a lovely 1960s textbook (not that it was even true then)

correct.

certainly when you're a company that has decided to start paying dividends to stockholders, it becomes expected you will continue to do so as long as possible, and you'd even end up in a situation where a company would do short term loans and poo poo to pay out because suddenly missing a payment looks mad sketchy.

Thanks for the explanations, both you and incels interlinked. I stand corrected!

Related: death to capitalism

iospace fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 19, 2018

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
share prices are nominally expectations of future cash flow

actually? who loving knows. its whatever u want them to be bby

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

:vince:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of the (many) reasons organizing has been so difficult in tech is because there’s fuzzy edges between workers and managers, I know “vice presidents” with zero reports and people listed as ICs who manage 4 people [in addition to their individual contributor duties]

this isn’t an unsolvable problem but it’s something to think about wrt traditional union language

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Do you have people under you, as in are you a boss of someone?

Congrats, you're management. :colbert:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

one of the (many) reasons organizing has been so difficult in tech is because there’s fuzzy edges between workers and managers, I know “vice presidents” with zero reports and people listed as ICs who manage 4 people [in addition to their individual contributor duties]

this isn’t an unsolvable problem but it’s something to think about wrt traditional union language

it's mostly untangling 'managing' someone ie: dictating work and actually having control over their pay/employement status. i doubt it's something a real union would struggle with

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
unions still have hierarchies and leaders and members in positions of authority

Rex-Goliath posted:

it's mostly untangling 'managing' someone ie: dictating work and actually having control over their pay/employement status. i doubt it's something a real union would struggle with

yeah

my federal union has pretty clear rules on what positions are and are not bargaining unit and im not sure its ever been a serious issue. but there is also clear delineation between management/executive and employees who might be in supervisory positions but don't have final say in performance related issues.

ex: i might have to quit the union if i get a job i applied for bc part of it would be handling grievances

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i think the main problem used to be that everyone was making fat stacks for basically nothing back in the dot-com days which sort of poisoned the well for everyone who was part of it. i think that era is far enough away in the rear view mirror that it should become easier and easier to organize.

god could you even imagine what a tech worker strike could look like? imagine the stock exchange being forced to shut down

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

"the working class and the employing class have nothing in common" is literally one of the slogans of iww and lol if you think your off the cuff "well actually" is more powerful than the legacy of hundreds of people who lived, worked, fought and died for the One Big Union, or, hell, Marxism

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle

also tesla sucks

lol. iww and marxists are dumb as poo poo

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

iospace posted:

Do you have people under you, as in are you a boss of someone?

Congrats, you're management. :colbert:

So if you get promoted to be nominally in charge of a small group do you have to turn in your badge and your gun? Does the union have to roll you out or how does this work? The bigwigs in the unions are all line workers after like 35 years?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shaggar posted:

lol. iww and marxists are dumb as poo poo

Don't sign your posts.

Sell your car, by the way.

Rex-Goliath posted:

i think the main problem used to be that everyone was making fat stacks for basically nothing back in the dot-com days which sort of poisoned the well for everyone who was part of it. i think that era is far enough away in the rear view mirror that it should become easier and easier to organize.

god could you even imagine what a tech worker strike could look like? imagine the stock exchange being forced to shut down

:yeshaha:

As for the rest, I think that's exactly it. The whole "temporarily embarrassed millionaire" mindset is really prevalent in the tech world, especially when you take the whole dot-com boom into affect, and everyone wants to be the next Uber.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TK-42-1 posted:

So if you get promoted to be nominally in charge of a small group do you have to turn in your badge and your gun? Does the union have to roll you out or how does this work? The bigwigs in the unions are all line workers after like 35 years?

I was mostly taking the piss, to be honest. It would get hashed out drat quick as to who would be management and who wouldn't be, and it probably would include the low-level team leaders who aren't really management, or in other words:

incels interlinked posted:

unions still have hierarchies and leaders and members in positions of authority

yeah

my federal union has pretty clear rules on what positions are and are not bargaining unit and im not sure its ever been a serious issue. but there is also clear delineation between management/executive and employees who might be in supervisory positions but don't have final say in performance related issues.

ex: i might have to quit the union if i get a job i applied for bc part of it would be handling grievances

a better explanation.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

qirex posted:

I think it has more to do with how insanely easy programmers have it. We get paid an insane amount of money compared to the difficulty of our job, and (at least in larger cities) can jump around jobs with relative ease.

I joined IWW in part because I think we'll see the end of that within our life time. It must drive tech companies nuts how much they spend on developers, don't think those Teach Kids To Code initiatives are anything but an attempt to correct this (but regardless I support them, I think programming is a great skill to learn)

If there was any hint of interest in forming a union at a dev shop I'd be all over it, and someday there will be.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rex-Goliath posted:

stock exchange

google

facebook

netflix

amazon

imagine them all shut down :bisonyes:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

stock exchange

google

facebook

netflix

amazon

imagine them all shut down :bisonyes:

no matter who wins, we.... win :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

can we keep youtube or whatever less poo poo alternative is around at the time, please

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ciaphas posted:

can we keep youtube or whatever less poo poo alternative is around at the time, please

No.

Because youtube comments exist, thus it must go.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

iospace posted:

No.

Because youtube comments exist, thus it must go.

You have the ability to you know, not read them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i got an extension to not render that section of the webpage like a dog's age ago

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

TK-42-1 posted:

the problem here is that you can have situation where a supervisor and worker have a contractual disagreement. If both are part of the same bargaining unit, the union is compelled to defend both to its fullest abilities which is often not possible due to that inherent conflict of interests. so you need a line in the sand between employees and supervisors, represented by different parties. supervisors/managers can have their own union or professional association for this. if you are managing non-union employees/temps/students/interns then you can probably stay but it depends on the union and contract

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

TK-42-1 posted:

I think a lot of people work their entire lives and don't transition into management... I expect I'll probably do the same.