Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Any tips for the support class? I've gotten good with the assault and medic classes in this game, but for support I always become sniper bait. I'm stuck with the base LMG, which doesn't seem to have much stopping power. Right now when I play the class, I mostly use myself as an ammo-dump for my squad and attempt to shoot and move as much as possible. If I set up camp anywhere though, I get a bullet drilled in my head.

I usually play Support as a moving smoke screen. An ammo crate will generate infinite amounts of smoke grenades with which to blanket an objective from a concealed position and if you can get with a good squad (meaning one that's moving together and, if the stars are right, a Scout with a flare gun tagging along) it is very easy to quickly swamp a point and send defenders panicking. Take a hard hitting LMG like a BAR, Madsen, Cauchet, or Huot and pump rounds into folks at point blank range in your smoky death trap. Equip a Limpet mine if you think you might catch tanks in the haze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
The biggest tragedy in this game is that there's nothing to indicate that the mortars have 2 smoke grenades built-in if you press 3 while using one. I give out ammo pouches while mortaring people and creating a line of smoke for teammates to advance on objective with. Seeing teammates drawn across the smoke naturally to safely cross normally dangerous open areas is drat magical and contrasts the usual ideas of how pubbies act.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

BlackIronHeart posted:

I usually play Support as a moving smoke screen. An ammo crate will generate infinite amounts of smoke grenades with which to blanket an objective from a concealed position and if you can get with a good squad (meaning one that's moving together and, if the stars are right, a Scout with a flare gun tagging along) it is very easy to quickly swamp a point and send defenders panicking. Take a hard hitting LMG like a BAR, Madsen, Cauchet, or Huot and pump rounds into folks at point blank range in your smoky death trap. Equip a Limpet mine if you think you might catch tanks in the haze.

So I really need to upgrade and get the ammo crate ASAP, setup smoke mortars, and then hope my squad/team uses that to actually press the advantage and try to provide cover fire in the smoke, safe from a sniper scopes.
I'll give it a go. Anyone still log onto Mumble?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So I really need to upgrade and get the ammo crate ASAP, setup smoke mortars, and then hope my squad/team uses that to actually press the advantage and try to provide cover fire in the smoke, safe from a sniper scopes.
I'll give it a go. Anyone still log onto Mumble?

To be clear, there's no such thing as "smoke mortars". There is only airburst and HE mortars, both of which come with 2 smokeshells you fire by pressing '3'.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

To be clear, there's no such thing as "smoke mortars". There is only airburst and HE mortars, both of which come with 2 smokeshells you fire by pressing '3'.

Oh yea I knew that...actually the only reason I know that is one day I was using the airburst and for some reason hit "3" on my keyboard. Was a nice discovery that they could shoot smoke - wish DICE had some sort of visual queue to let pubbies know..

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
This is just a reminder that the limpet charge is one of, if not the, most fun gadgets in the game.

Honestly I have way more fun hitting tanks with it than I do any of the anti-tank weapons that Assault has. Not that the rocket gun and AT grenades don't work, but the limpet is much more satisfying.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

what rifle would be best if im playing as a forward scout using flares and trenchscope to mark enemies for my team? I like to stay with the zerg and as a result, im in the thick of it more often than not. I dont mind bolt-action rifles but something with a close sweetspot would be ideal. Ive been using the SMLE which has been pretty good, but im wondering if the DLC rifles would suit me better for this. I have also used the 1903 experimental which was fun and really cool if u use K bullets.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

what rifle would be best if im playing as a forward scout using flares and trenchscope to mark enemies for my team? I like to stay with the zerg and as a result, im in the thick of it more often than not. I dont mind bolt-action rifles but something with a close sweetspot would be ideal. Ive been using the SMLE which has been pretty good, but im wondering if the DLC rifles would suit me better for this. I have also used the 1903 experimental which was fun and really cool if u use K bullets.

I use the Vetterli for that role, but I like a challenge. Then there's the Martini-Henry infantry with a max damage of 112, so even lower torso and arm hits are a kill in the sweet spot range. Both of these shoot huge black powder cartridges and that's modelled in this game with a very slow bullet speed of 440 m/s.
The 1895 trench and Gewehr M.95 are not bad choices, but neither have a sweet spot. I would say that the Arisaka is probably the best infantry variant for scout. Nice rate of fire, good sights, great bullet speed and decent k-bullet reload.

http://symthic.com/bf1-weapon-charts?recon=1&sort=Class&adsc=DESC

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I find that the M95 infrantry fires fast enough to put a second shot on someone who survives the first, and the Ross lets you stay scoped between shots (plus its low magnification makes it usable in fairly close range fights).

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Vitterli, Carcano Patrol (essentially a scoped 1895 trench), Mannlicher M95, Arisaka are all good choices for PTFO scout.

The 1903 exp can fire regular bolt action rounds too in addition to K bullets, don't forget that feature now exists.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Delacroix posted:

The 1903 exp can fire regular bolt action rounds too in addition to K bullets, don't forget that feature now exists.

:aaaaa: oh man that is too cool. does it use the same damage model as the normal 1903 then?

also, thanks guys for the gun recs, tried a few already and theyve been a good fit

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

:aaaaa: oh man that is too cool. does it use the same damage model as the normal 1903 then?

also, thanks guys for the gun recs, tried a few already and theyve been a good fit

Yes, it's the closest thing to a 1903 infantry without actually using the 1903 infantry (the ironsights are horrible, no loss) available in the standard issue rifle gamemode.

e: I should mention it's actually slightly better than the old SIR rifle, it received new and faster reloading animations. It will eject the last bullet and do a full reload like the Mosin M91 or Liu.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 20, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Any tips for the support class? I've gotten good with the assault and medic classes in this game, but for support I always become sniper bait. I'm stuck with the base LMG, which doesn't seem to have much stopping power. Right now when I play the class, I mostly use myself as an ammo-dump for my squad and attempt to shoot and move as much as possible. If I set up camp anywhere though, I get a bullet drilled in my head.

As was said, shoot and move is really the only way to counter it, and you’ll still get domed within 5 seconds some of the time anyways. The places you can set up for some long time down range suppression are few and far between, you can pretty much only do it on maps like Amiens where you can control where you can be seen from. House windows can work but those can tend to have your head sticking out juuuust enough for an angle you can’t see.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Maybe it's just me but whenever I see highlight videos cut out a split second after a kill, especially while being shot at or after killing a dude in the middle of 3 other people, I assume it's cutting out the death that immediately followed.

That's kinda the problem with the Auto 35 too, it's good for dumping on one person, but then you're really vulnerable.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Man, some of the carbines the Assault get are just amazing. I unlocked the M1917 Trench carbine with a scope, tried it and thought it was alright, but then I got the iron sights, which I am far more suited to. You just aim at people and pull the trigger till everyone is dead. It shoots crazy fast, and there's no recoil at all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What is this pigeon mode and why are no servers playing it

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

OneEightHundred posted:

Maybe it's just me but whenever I see highlight videos cut out a split second after a kill, especially while being shot at or after killing a dude in the middle of 3 other people, I assume it's cutting out the death that immediately followed.

That's kinda the problem with the Auto 35 too, it's good for dumping on one person, but then you're really vulnerable.

Nope. I didn't die after these kills. They didn't come as part of a long streak, so I just smashed them together. The point of highlighting them was that they're all double kills.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Digirat posted:

What is this pigeon mode and why are no servers playing it

Looks like its this:

http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/War_Pigeons

Unfortunately I also never got a chance to play it, as I only bought this game this past spring during a sale. Bonus, I got all the DLC, Premium Pass, for $20. Downside is I arrived late and missed out on all the new modes. Whenever I browse games, the vast majority are Conquest with a few Operations servers, and 2-3 team deathmatch. Everything else is dead. :( It's too bad, everyone told me Frontlines is fun. Also I heard good things about Back to Basics (bolt action rifles only? Iron sights!? gently caress YEA)

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 20, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
BF1 for some reason decided we needed dozens of game modes, half of which on a small scale. This nonsense peaked with Incursions.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah you just can’t have very many game modes and expect them all to stay populated. Maybe it would have been better to do a weekly rotation of the gimmicky stuff with just 2 main permanent modes, always conquest for battlefield and then whatever the other big mode is that they’re trying to do for that game (titan in 2142, rush in BC2 etc).

e: this wouldn’t work if servers were still all player-hosted, but my understanding is you have to rent them from EA now?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

BF1 for some reason decided we needed dozens of game modes, half of which on a small scale. This nonsense peaked with Incursions.

the worst part was tying perks and unlocks to playing those specific modes too

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I know right?

I only touched Air Drop for a medal and I think to unlock something else?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Since it's so easy to shoot down the pigeon, War Pigeons can easily last a half hour or hour per round. Shotguns just absolutely wreck the pigeon (this is the only thing the 12G is excellent at, its ROF lets you spam the pigeon the maximum amount in the three seconds it's in the air).

Frontlines could go on for hours but they added a time limit.

Modal Yodel is a stupid assignment.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

OneEightHundred posted:

That's my immediate thought, too. My own sick vidz, when I bother to encode, I just 8x or 10x the intervening time.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.
Talking of Support - are any of the Support specializations any good?

It seems like Flak and Inconspicuous are too good not to take. Same with Juggernaut, Concealed Rescue and Ripple (though the unlock requirements for Ripple don't look like a barrel of laughs). But Support? Just go with Regen, or ... ?

Slink and a suppressed MP1911 seem like it'd be a good combo, but I've not yet managed to make it work better than regular flanking. And it seems like an odd pick for Support.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Lol the Avtomat or whatever is stupid good why would they put this in the game

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

kilinrax posted:

Slink and a suppressed MP1911 seem like it'd be a good combo, but I've not yet managed to make it work better than regular flanking. And it seems like an odd pick for Support.

Suppressed weapons don't do a whole lot since they still get damage indicators showing what direction you're hitting them from. They're more of a thing in single player where some of the codex entries require you to stealth a level.

If you're going to take the 1911 anyway then fine but the revolvers generally do a better job of killing, and trying to use a 1911 as your primary is going to be painful. Pistol damage falls off really quickly.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Suppressed weapons don't do a whole lot since they still get damage indicators showing what direction you're hitting them from. They're more of a thing in single player where some of the codex entries require you to stealth a level.

Thank for this - I was dumb and forgot everyone else has HUD damage direction indicators. What specializations do you tend to pick for Support?

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you're going to take the 1911 anyway then fine but the revolvers generally do a better job of killing, and trying to use a 1911 as your primary is going to be painful. Pistol damage falls off really quickly.

Also, relatedly, is the Howdah is the revolver-equivalent for Assault? Is it unpopular because of the 4 round capacity, or because it doesn't cover the weaknesses of Assault mains? I prefer it to the 1903 hammerless tbh ...

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

kilinrax posted:

Thank for this - I was dumb and forgot everyone else has HUD damage direction indicators. What specializations do you tend to pick for Support?

Also, relatedly, is the Howdah is the revolver-equivalent for Assault? Is it unpopular because of the 4 round capacity, or because it doesn't cover the weaknesses of Assault mains? I prefer it to the 1903 hammerless tbh ...

Doesn’t the assault get the gasser?

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

kilinrax posted:

Assault doesn't really need good pistols because it has the best up-close weapons. Anyway, as far as revolvers go Assault gets the Gasser and can use the cross-class Webley Mk VI and No.3. The Howdah is pretty cool though.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

If you like the Howdah just go all in and run the Obrez

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

kilinrax posted:

Howdah has the damage of a pocket pistol like the 1903. With how inconvenient it is to use, you'd expect power near the Gasser or Mars.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

kilinrax posted:

It has huge damage up close (2HK inside 10m) and a fast ROF, but really slow muzzle velocity, huge damage dropoff, and a small magazine. Which sort of means it's designed around making GBS threads on people at close range, but Assault already does that fine, and without the Howdah's downsides.

The Gasser is really good though, if you can tolerate the reloads (by the time an assault is pulling out their pistol you will probably be going back to the spawn screen anyway). Otherwise the Auto Revolver/Webley are probably the best overall gun for most situations.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 27, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also it doesn't fire shot too. DICE are still only allowed the variation that fires shot.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
The howdah is the coolest pistol though, you just can't get past that style.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Riflen posted:

Assault doesn't really need good pistols because it has the best up-close weapons.

I discovered today that assault guns piss people off something fierce. I've mostly ignored the assault class for some dumb reason, but today I played a whole match as assault and ended up going 33-15 (which ain't amazing but it's the best I've ever done in my brief PC career) and getting called an "Automatico autist", which is extra funny because it was literally the first time I've ever used the gun.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
what lmgs are good

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

kilinrax posted:

Talking of Support - are any of the Support specializations any good?

It seems like Flak and Inconspicuous are too good not to take. Same with Juggernaut, Concealed Rescue and Ripple (though the unlock requirements for Ripple don't look like a barrel of laughs). But Support? Just go with Regen, or ... ?

Pin down is good, you can realistically suppress to spot instead of fire entirely too many bullets that miss then dying to a sniper rifle. If I use a a gun like the Parabellum, I'd use slink, inconspicuous and pin down. Inconspicuous stays on no matter what loadout but slink might come off if I intend on bipodding a lot and pin down isn't super necessary if I use the Madsen/Burton/Chauchat.

Concealed rescue is good and all with a squad that sticks together (a scenario where all three medic perks is a good choice) but stimulant syringe is a gamechanger. If you PTFO medic instead of sit back 50 metres and snipe, it's fantastic throwing down smoke nades and running around reviving people like a maniac, it will have so much uptime. You can crouch slide while reviving people to keep your momentum, the speed is noticeable.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 28, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What's the 1 GB update I'm downloading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MG1917 for LMG stuff, BAR/Huot/Burton/Madsen for run-and-gun. The other guns range between mediocre and actually bad.