Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

strong bird posted:

iron should be above bronze as a superior metal

Wasn't bronze historically a better material than iron, just way harder to make and in smaller quantities.

I mean bronze age times, not now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

hold on let me click on this link that says 'ferrous metallurgy'

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Wasn't bronze historically a better material than iron, just way harder to make and in smaller quantities.

Not in the least. Bronze was used because it was relatively easy to work with; iron requires heat in excess of 2800'F to melt, well beyond the limits of primitive kilns, and needs special procedures to deal with impurities and prevent corrosion. A guy with an iron sword would absolutely pulverize bronze armor and weaponry.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Vermain posted:

Not in the least. Bronze was used because it was relatively easy to work with; iron requires heat in excess of 2800'F to melt, well beyond the limits of primitive kilns, and needs special procedures to deal with impurities and prevent corrosion. A guy with an iron sword would absolutely pulverize bronze armor and weaponry.

what if the bronze weapon was a gun, and the armor was a tank

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

what if the bronze weapon was a gun, and the armor was a tank

*sighs, unsheathes iron katana*

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

strong bird posted:

iron should be above bronze as a superior metal
it's loving disgusting that these riot devs have never played Imperialism II. this is the final nail

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Personally I cannot wait to sink to new lows

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm guessing they chose iron based off of its ornamental value over its actual structural properties. You might see people even today wearing bronze necklaces or earrings or something, but what kind of weirdo would wear iron to look good?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

kingcobweb posted:

He somehow is both lower-ranked than me and has a worse Pyke win rate. I didn't think the latter was possible

edit: 41% urgot, 158 played; 39% swain, 94 played :stonk:
I have a 40% win rate on my most-played champ :(

Maokai :( :( :(

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

theres been a typo, its actually the irony division

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Vermain posted:

I'm guessing they chose iron based off of its ornamental value over its actual structural properties. You might see people even today wearing bronze necklaces or earrings or something, but what kind of weirdo would wear iron to look good?

Shoulda picked lead, then. It works on so many levels:

-Is likewise a dull, non-decorative metal
-Doesn't have a particular reputation for strength or martial utility
-Is toxic
-Is used to isolate dangerously radioactive things, in much the way as the new division will be used to isolate the worst League players

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

bronze is actually way more organized and skilled than it used to be but all the fun joking aside having a lower division for people who are new isnt the straight worst thing in the world, especially if placements start you in bronze by default instead of silver

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

the divisions should be

dragon
runite
adamantite
mithril
black
gold
silver
bronze

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Vermain posted:

I'm guessing they chose Iron because it's still Masculine and Strong and wouldn't make bads feel even more terrible than they would if they were stuck in Paper or Wood or Tin or Talc League.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wood tier is such a meme that I'm surprised they didn't do it.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Wood tier is such a meme that I'm surprised they didn't do it.

New tier: Maokai's Nuts

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

duck trucker posted:

New tier: Maokai's Nuts

That would be a great division title

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Are there any good tools out there that can help me get a quick understanding of how I should be playing certain match ups? I don't play a lot right now, but when I have been playing its primarily been TF/mid. I've gotten to the point where I'm no longer being matched up against an endless stream of annies and am starting to see a lot of mid lane variety.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

its curtains for Kevin posted:

I’m retired. Just think of me as a friendly player like Elentor. :)

Highfive retired buddy. :3:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Depends on what you mean by better and by iron. Bronze is way easier to make and work with. Copper is just kind of everywhere and if you can melt copper you can make bronze. If you gently caress up the ratio you just melt it again and fix it. The issue is getting tin. Tin is abundant wherever it is but isn't everywhere like copper and iron are.

Pure iron actually sucks. Like...a lot. It also has a much higher melting point than copper. What is better than bronze is steel which is a horrible pain to make. What you think of as iron making is actually steel making. You have to get carbon in the iron which is much harder than "melt this poo poo, melt this other poo poo, mix them together."

The history is really complex but that's the short of it.

Edit: iron working also didn't entirely eliminate bronze either. Bronze was still heavily used by anybody who could get their hands on the tin. It's really easy to make and good enough for most uses. Early iron working was also shittier than bronze but as it got better it increasingly displaced bronze. Bronze is also still used as it's better than steel for some things.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 19, 2018

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
They should’ve named it copper. And then when I flash away from a teamfight and everyone on their team is chasing me I’ll be like “you’ll never catch me alive, coppers”

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

they should have made it stone and instead of calling people bronzies you call them stoners

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

pog boyfriend posted:

they should have made it stone and instead of calling people bronzies you call them stoners

Well tokers are jokers so it's an appropriate name for the worst at the game

strong bird
May 12, 2009

it should have been Glass to reflect the fragile minds of the ninjas and samurais who will naturally gravitate to that division

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It should have been salt.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

JerryLee posted:

-Is toxic
-Is used to isolate dangerously radioactive things, in much the way as the new division will be used to isolate the worst League players

looool

post this on the subreddit

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Erdricks posted:

Are there any good tools out there that can help me get a quick understanding of how I should be playing certain match ups? I don't play a lot right now, but when I have been playing its primarily been TF/mid. I've gotten to the point where I'm no longer being matched up against an endless stream of annies and am starting to see a lot of mid lane variety.

Unfortunately, the only way to learn how to play matchups is to both experience a lot of them yourself and watch videos of expert players to understand how they handle them.

In general, when going into an unfamiliar matchup, it's best to play it slow to start out with and consider a few surface-level things:
  • Do you have a range advantage? Broadly speaking, anyone who has more range than you has an advantage over you in lane, and anyone who has less range than you has a disadvantage against you in lane. An enemy with longer range can slowly whittle your HP away with autos or spells more easily, requiring you to outplay them, while an enemy with shorter range can more easily be bullied by you and has to play more respectfully.
  • How dangerous are they pre-6? Against certain champions, you have to play with more respect than usual (giving up CS, not trading as aggressively, positioning further back) if they have strong early damage or aren't reliant on their ultimates. Someone like Talon can easily solo kill you in lane if you play too far forwards as TF or try to trade too aggressively without an HP advantage. Conversely, someone like Viktor usually can't solo kill you early on, so it's safer to play up and attempt to trade aggressively.
  • How much can they assist the enemy jungler if you get ganked? Generally, the more CC your lane opponent has, the easier it is for the enemy jungler to gank you successfully. This should alter how you approach the lane and how many risks you're willing to take, especially if you're unsure where the enemy jungler is.
  • What does your champion need to be successful? While getting as many CS as you can is always optimal, you have to consider what your champion can do and what items you realistically need in order to determine how aggressively you want to play the matchup. TF is actually a great example of this: it's possible for him to completely dominate the lane and gain a huge CS lead, but even if he doesn't, he has the ability to impact the game tremendously through the use of his ult. Therefore, you can choose to play the lane more passively and accept getting into a CS deficit if it means surviving until level 6 and his first back.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Erdricks posted:

It's not mid but if you ever end up laning against Fiora just rush bramble for your first item and laugh in her face

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I remember wasting a lot of time searching lolcounters on my games. Vague and frequently outdated.

Lets say you have 2 minutes of load time between identifying your matchup and playing the videogame. Copy and pasting your team on op.gg is a good use of that time in the lobby. In the load screen you can see your opponents. Vital information to process is to see who is playing in their off role.

Most useful thing I ever look up is the lolwiki to see what the enemy laner's ability cool downs are for early laning.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Do a youtube search for the matchup as soon as you know what it is.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

JerryLee posted:

-Is toxic

-Is heavy enough that it is virtually uncarriable and always drops to the bottom

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

a lot of players at all elos are uncarriable because they've been taught to believe they must 1v9 to win every game and if they cannot personally 1v9 their time is being wasted and you might as well FF or feed

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

rabidsquid posted:

a lot of players at all elos are uncarriable because they've been taught to believe they must 1v9 to win every game and if they cannot personally 1v9 their time is being wasted and you might as well FF or feed

this is my mindset and it's served me just fine, I'm in bronze not iron, the worst tier

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
j4 buffs :)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

*Iron is now below Bronze tier in ranked.

How the gently caress has not a single Riot dev played Runescape, jfc

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
As a midlaner, I've been keeping my normal yellow ward and primarily using it to ward flanks during lane and for objectives. Is that what I should be doing, or is there something else? At my current elo, I see that supports are primarily sweeping and droping red wards to disable.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if you're going to roam heavily a sweeper is good because it disables vision immediately and is faster than dropping a pink

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

rabidsquid posted:

if you're going to roam heavily a sweeper is good because it disables vision immediately and is faster than dropping a pink

sweeper for assassins or when you want to get picks, blue for all other situations is generally what I do as mid

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Erdricks posted:

As a midlaner, I've been keeping my normal yellow ward and primarily using it to ward flanks during lane and for objectives. Is that what I should be doing, or is there something else? At my current elo, I see that supports are primarily sweeping and droping red wards to disable.

do what you want to do, blue is foolproof -- if you take it, since you are not just taking the default option you immediately look like you know what you are doing. red is good for aggressive players, and yellow if you are playing really defensive/value and staying mid a lot of the time is nice to contribute to vision in the river. but you can not state enough how important the factor of looking cool that blue trinket provides you. its the league of legends version of driving manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Note that the main benefit of blue trinket is on checking areas of darkness around important objectives, such as around Baron. If you're playing a champion like Twisted Fate or Lux, who have ways of checking far into fog without risking their lives, it's easier to get away with sticking with yellow or red trinket for most of the game.