Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ah I see they got the Potato Jesus lady to paint the figures. Good to know she's still getting work after loving that painting up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

kazr posted:

Nature godlike or aumua for a frenzy barbarian/skald chanter howler?

I actually went for Moon Godlike with mine.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Fucker posted:

The 240 euro collectors edition for this is bizarre. Fake?

https://imgur.com/a/FpYRoiu

I’m going with ‘parody’.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fucker posted:

The 240 euro collectors edition for this is bizarre. Fake?
https://imgur.com/a/FpYRoiu
The minis didn't come with any of the backing tiers. They were an addon you could purchase afterwards. The painted ones cost 40 dollars. Honestly that paintjob looks about right for 3 minis of that price. If you wanted it to be high quality, then you should have gotten the unpainted versions and painted it yourself.

The really bizarre thing is the whining about the physical rewards. People were having some really unrealistic expectations. Maybe OEI could have communicated the thing about the discs better, but it's not like the box you got was empty. And getting yourself a gog installer on some cheap external memory is a better idea then lugging some discs around if you want to have the game on the road.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's still bizarre to me that they'd make a box that doesn't have a disc in it, or even anywhere to put a disc. It's just a box with the game's logo on it at that point. I get a weird cargo-cult vibe from the whole thing

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
It's bizarre that they offered having 3 miniatures painted for :10bux:
That was only ever gonna be a poo poo show, and I assume that there's somebody at Obsidian that knows enough about miniature painting to realize that.

The detail on those things is terrible, though; they're not worth $30.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Backer rewards are always overpriced that's like the whole point

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

2house2fly posted:

It's still bizarre to me that they'd make a box that doesn't have a disc in it, or even anywhere to put a disc. It's just a box with the game's logo on it at that point. I get a weird cargo-cult vibe from the whole thing
The box is just something to put on your shelf as decoration. :shrug:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

On the one hand some of that stuff looks kind of cheap, on the other hand lol at paying 240 euro for some videogame schlock :shrug:

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

this is my aesthaetic

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Backer rewards are always overpriced that's like the whole point
Okay, sure, but those minis would not get sold at their price in a game store. And there's no retailer taking a cut here.
Also, they look worse than cheap resin plastic. To be honest I'm surprised they're metal, when I first saw them I wondered if they were made of boardgame plastic. The only possible explanation I can come up with is that they're single piece miniatures in dynamic poses. Which is an issue they would have known or been informed about at, like, the concept art stage.
And if this is absolutely the best they could do for $30 I have the same question I have about the painted miniature reward: Why offer something that will produce results few people if any will be happy with?

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 18, 2018

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

Okay, sure, but those minis would not get sold at their price in a game store. And there's no retailer taking a cut here.
The stuff you get with preorders or as backer reward is always crap. I backed a bit extra to get some t shirts and an Obsidian hoodie. They're not the best quality there is and I'm no illusion that they're going to last long. But if I wanted a high quality hoodie, then I would have gotten it elsewhere.

Really if you didn't know that you'd be getting lovely, low quality stuff, then you're an idiot.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

2house2fly posted:

I get a weird cargo-cult vibe from the whole thing

Is this any different than most other Collector's Editions? Besides the uh, quality I guess.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The whole amount you donate obviously doesn't go to the backer rewards, that would make no sense. The point is you're giving them some money to put towards making the game, and they use some of that money to give you a poster or minifigs or a box with the game logo on it

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
As far as I can tell, the one item that was really badly done were the miniature paintjobs, otherwise the rest seemed fine. The complaints about the lack of disc seem overblown to me, as it's no different than many boxes you get at retail these days, but I don't understand why Obsidian didn't just look at those paintjobs and go "gently caress, we'll just refund these add-ons, this is unacceptable."

Then again, the example I see is always the same... maybe that person was particularly unlucky and got a bad batch?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Raygereio posted:

The stuff you get with preorders or as backer reward is always crap. I backed a bit extra to get some t shirts and an Obsidian hoodie. They're not the best quality there is and I'm no illusion that they're going to last long. But if I wanted a high quality hoodie, then I would have gotten it elsewhere.

Really if you didn't know that you'd be getting lovely, low quality stuff, then you're an idiot.
I get that, and it's why I didn't get the miniatures myself. But there's a difference between "not the best quality" and this. Those miniatures are far worse than anything I'd consider okay. You can get boxes of 20 miniatures for mass battle games for $30 that have better detail. I'm pretty sure you can find board games with better miniatures in them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

this is my aesthaetic

EOTHAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

I get that, and it's why I didn't get the miniatures myself. But there's a difference between "not the best quality" and this. Those miniatures are far worse than anything I'd consider okay. You can get boxes of 20 miniatures for mass battle games for $30 that have better detail. I'm pretty sure you can find board games with better miniatures in them.

Yeah, I'm perfectly happy with my painted miniatures but they're literally the only miniatures I own not from a board game, and the only painted minis I own. I tried to paint minis a long time ago but I lack the skill, coordination, eyesight, and hand control for it, so I can genuinely say those minis are painted better than I would have been able to paint them.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

this is my aesthaetic

Eccosi Homo

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

this is my aesthaetic

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I've been thinking about replaying the game and making the PC a monk so I can get whisper of the wind sooner to see if it can out dps a rogue with gambit & killing blow move. Oh also I'm gonna use 2 streetfighters also to ultimate cheese.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I just started playing through for the first time after backing this way back when.

I'm at the point in the Eothas-chasing that I need to head to Ashen Maw. In the midst of side quests, I got a quest from the Huana Queen to make an alliance with the Wahaki ("Fruitful Alliance"). When I went to the Wahaki island, I got the quest to check out the slavers on Crookspur Island and prove that they're illegally slaving ("Cruel Cargo").

I've failed to successfully complete Cruel Cargo/Fruitful Alliance twice now. The first time, I just went straight up to the slaver chief, killed him, and left. The Wahaki chief would not open any dialogue options for me other than the soul-reading ones for a companion quest, seemingly resulting in me failing Cruel Cargo. I understand why I might have failed it that time, as I was supposed to *prove* that they're illegally slaving first.

I reloaded (thankfully I saved right after coming ashore on Crookspur) and tried again. This time, I went through the dungeons, found the illegally-captured Huana, saved them, then got the directive to "Deal with the slaver master" via Cruel Cargo. So I went up into the fort and killed him, then left. However, once again, the Wahaki chief refuses to talk to me to complete Cruel Cargo (seemingly as if I'd failed, but I think the quest is still active in my journal).

In both instances, after I leave Crookspur Island, the next stage for Fruitful Alliance says that "the Wahaki will not be supporting the Queen any time soon. I need to report my failure to the Queen" or something. Is this pair of quests bugged or am I doing something wrong?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've beaten that quest, but both times I cleared out Crookspur and saved the Huana slaves before ever setting foot on the Wahaki island. It's certainly possible to complete the quest, but people have reported quests dealing with Crookspur as being super buggy since release.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I'm going to go again and clear all the DLC on this playthrough (haven't done any yet). I'm thinking of dps priest for my Watcher (magran). Is that better as single spec? My other thought was to multiclass with chanter for summons. I'll already have a chanter (herald) as my front liner so I'm not sure if PL 8-9 on priest are worth some summoning chants.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

I'm going to go again and clear all the DLC on this playthrough (haven't done any yet). I'm thinking of dps priest for my Watcher (magran). Is that better as single spec? My other thought was to multiclass with chanter for summons. I'll already have a chanter (herald) as my front liner so I'm not sure if PL 8-9 on priest are worth some summoning chants.

Either is viable I think but Priests feel better pure to me because it lets you get cool spells faster. Not only that, but most Priest spells have long cast times so if you're playing them as a Multi-class I feel like there's simply not enough time in combat to make good use of most of your abilities.

I guess if you multied with something more passive like Chanter it could still work pretty well.

I'm currently playing a Herald though and a lot of the summing invocations have long cast time as well. Having to wait four seconds to cast some Priest buff and then spending another four trying to get summons out might be a lot of time spent.

So given that I think a Priest/Chanter would actually want to focus on phrases and for invocations focus on fast cast offensive invocations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Either is viable I think but Priests feel better pure to me because it lets you get cool spells faster. Not only that, but most Priest spells have long cast times so if you're playing them as a Multi-class I feel like there's simply not enough time in combat to make good use of most of your abilities.

I guess if you multied with something more passive like Chanter it could still work pretty well.

I'm currently playing a Herald though and a lot of the summing invocations have long cast time as well. Having to wait four seconds to cast some Priest buff and then spending another four trying to get summons out might be a lot of time spent.

So given that I think a Priest/Chanter would actually want to focus on phrases and for invocations focus on fast cast offensive invocations.

There are some good phrases (15% burn) and I was thinking that the priest could fight while they're not casting on the longer fights (so spiritual weapons maybe, but definitely some sort of gun with a second set of magran's shield and axe). I think you're right though, with the casting times being so long it might be better to fight instead of chant during the downtime so I can build for that. Thanks.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Miftan posted:

If you want to be a priest dps, you want to just be a pure priest. The most damaging spell they have is the symbol spells and I'm not sure a multi class priest gets it or gets it fast enough. Once you have the symbol level spells you can melt groups. Before you get the symbol spells you gotta rely on shining beacon and the single target abilities. Basically how to use the dps priest is cast avatar, symbol on the largest group, shining beacon on the largest group, cast Spiritual Ally, and then drop another symbol on the largest group. It will kill most things instantly because the dmg from symbol is pretty retarded. I played a 5 priest playthrough and pretty much destroyed the giant imp fight as they all ran into 5 symbols on the ground.

All the symbol spells are kinda equal as they do the same dmg but different damage types. I would say berath priests have the best summoned weapon but it doesn''t last that long. Skaen and Gaun priests get an execute move from rogue that is pretty good too.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 19, 2018

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hey i know we're all here to anxiously await the rest of the DLCs but have there been any updates on the sweet tabletop system ropekid was working on.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

If you want to be a priest dps, you want to just be a pure priest. The most damaging spell they have is the symbol spells and I'm not sure a multi class priest gets it or gets it fast enough. Once you have the symbol level spells you can melt groups. Before you get the symbol spells you gotta rely on shining beacon and the single target abilities. Basically how to use the dps priest is cast avatar, symbol on the largest group, shining beacon on the largest group, cast Spiritual Ally, and then drop another symbol on the largest group. It will kill most things instantly because the dmg from symbol is pretty retarded. I played a 5 priest playthrough and pretty much destroyed the giant imp fight as they all ran into 5 symbols on the ground.

All the symbol spells are kinda equal as they do the same dmg but different damage types. I would say berath priests have the best summoned weapon but it doesn''t last that long. Skaen and Gaun priests get an execute move from rogue that is pretty good too.

I'm going Magran for the early dps spells and RP reasons, so I'll get the Magran symbol for free and some +fire gear to compliment all of that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Miftan posted:

I'm going Magran for the early dps spells and RP reasons, so I'll get the Magran symbol for free and some +fire gear to compliment all of that.

Make sure you play through the Ashen Maw. I don't want to spoil it but there is a ton of cool stuff you can do there as a Magran Priest.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Make sure you play through the Ashen Maw. I don't want to spoil it but there is a ton of cool stuff you can do there as a Magran Priest.

I've finished the game without DLC once before so I am definitely looking forward to it! Isn't it mandatory for the main quest anyway?

countbarbarus
Sep 5, 2018

Miftan posted:

I've finished the game without DLC once before so I am definitely looking forward to it! Isn't it mandatory for the main quest anyway?

Yes it is.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Impermanent posted:

hey i know we're all here to anxiously await the rest of the DLCs but have there been any updates on the sweet tabletop system ropekid was working on.

He said something about the team playtesting the system the other day. May well hear more soon!

Speaking of the DLCs, the Cheevos are up on Steam:

Just one more cheev and I'll be able to afford all the Berath's Blessings! A few more wouldn't go amiss...

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Finally got around to finishing this. Clocked in at just over 105 hours. :shobon: Did everything except the Vailian family feud quest, some of the late faction quests I think and missed the island with the fampyrs and ghouls that has a quest with an achievement.

Or, well, sorta finished. In the ship battles during the last part of the game the ships all ran away from me immediately, I was lvl 20 so the last fight was not much challenge and then I hit a bug that wouldn't let me continue past a certain ending slide. So that was a bit of a wet fart. At least it's a known bug being fixed apparently. The rest of the game was great, though, and I didn't particularly mind the ending with Eothas.

Perhaps it was the fact that I played this over a long period of time but I didn't feel very involved in the MQ compared to the first game, which was criticized by many for having a rushed and incoherent story or whatever. I liked how the different factions and smaller quests intertwined and sometimes conflicted with each other but it was all a bit mellow somehow, like things didn't matter much until the final choice and even then it was obvious it only changed what faction you faced off against in the end. Perhaps it would be better to focus on a single faction each playthrough. All the companions quests were very short too, which made the pretty impactful choices in some of them come pretty suddenly.

Also, regarding Maia's personal quest is it possible to do it but prevent the assassinations?

The combat, items and class system was miles better than 1 though, so even though I feel sated right now I will probably start a new character sooner rather than later. My rogue/ghost heart ranger with dual pistols or dual sabers was great. Didn't get to make much use of stealth and hopping around the battlefield as i had intended, but regularly hit for 40-50 damage on normal attacks and had a lot of attack speed. Mirke as monk/fighter owned as well, so many fun synergies. Just turning on every buff and running around like a lightning bolt sending people flying and exploding.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I love the combat in PoE2 compared to PoE1. Still feels like there's a bit too much to micromanage but the new AI system helps SO much.

I want(ed) to do a run like in FFT where you just turn on the AI and never interact and that's the combat for you-- making the AI system work and utilizing proper gear and all that. But it's hard to get the AI to do AoE stuff properly.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

jokes posted:

I love the combat in PoE2 compared to PoE1. Still feels like there's a bit too much to micromanage but the new AI system helps SO much.

I want(ed) to do a run like in FFT where you just turn on the AI and never interact and that's the combat for you-- making the AI system work and utilizing proper gear and all that. But it's hard to get the AI to do AoE stuff properly.

I didn't use the AI at all, other than for auto attacking. Probably why everything took me so long.

Now that I've started nit-picking:

One thing that really irritated me, that the first game also did a couple of times, is present you with lots of answers to a question that you, or the PC, don't have enough information about but it is presented as some sort of moral judgement. Who gets to rule The Deadfire, that's a good dilemma. You get to interact a lot with the factions and can see their benefits and drawbacks. Is destroying The Wheel, Eothas' mission a good idea? I have no idea, I don't know what happens after that, but like 9 out of 10 answers my character can give are very strong opinions for or against and I'm forced to make a decision. It's like its meant to give a good opportunity to role play, but 9 of 10 answers is for role playing a person who likes to talk out of their rear end.

Another thing that I enjoyed overall was the CYOA segments. However, I'm not sure if I didn't pick up on something but they felt inconsistent? Crossing a chasm or sneaking up on enemies could mean you got to pick one of your companions with the skill bonus displayed before making the choice. Or you got thrust into your PC attempting it on their own. Or your whole party had to make a skill check. I could never really work out what would happen when I picked a choice.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Also, regarding Maia's personal quest is it possible to do it but prevent the assassinations?
Nah. You don’t even know about them til they happen. And more importantly, Maia’s not truly under duress. Her mind is made.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

DrPop posted:

In both instances, after I leave Crookspur Island, the next stage for Fruitful Alliance says that "the Wahaki will not be supporting the Queen any time soon. I need to report my failure to the Queen" or something. Is this pair of quests bugged or am I doing something wrong?

Same thing happened to me, so I restarted the island, got the same bit of text on the quest log, then went to the queen to report my failure, and then told her that the tribe was on board and got the positive quest completion.

Sounds like a bug to me.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Nah. You don’t even know about them til they happen. And more importantly, Maia’s not truly under duress. Her mind is made.

Even if you go in with perfect foreknowledge and want to get cute with force-attacking dudes/intentionally botching your role in the events, there's nothing you can do.

This one always bothered me since iirc it always overrides the usual ending slides for the effected settlements, and your only real option to prevent that from happening is to just leave the quest unresolved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I'm thinking about replaying now that some DLC has come out. Has performance improved since launch? My frames way dropped in Neketaka on a 750ti.