Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think there might also be a way to end the teleport with 5 fire bolts instead of 3?

e: oh, that reminds me, I sometimes considered trying to fight Richter with only Hellfire, aka playing a phase 1 Dracula fight from Drac's pov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
You need exactly 200.6% or better castle completion for the Best Ending.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Shiki Dan posted:

You need exactly 200.6% or better castle completion for the Best Ending.

I'm pretty sure it's 196% or higher.

Actually just checked and yeah, everywhere I can find it's 196%.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

I think we're all remembering 200.6% because that is the maximum completion percentage achievable by playing normally.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

GeminiSun posted:

I think we're all remembering 200.6% because that is the maximum completion percentage achievable by playing normally.

Question..why 200.6%?

Wouldn't 1 castle be 50ish and the second castle the other 50?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Question..why 200.6%?

I think 100% would be up to the throne room (maybe it'd be 100.1?) but since Donkey Kong Country would do 101%/102% and so on for its completions they probably thought that giving a little more than 100% would be enough to say "yeah, congrats you beat the game"

Then double that for the Inverted Castle.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Question..why 200.6%?

The first castle is 100% and the second 100%, probably not to spoil the existence of the second castle. The 0.6% is because someone miscalculated/added a room afterwards.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Question..why 200.6%?

I think there's one room in the inverted castle that is not in the normal one.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RC Cola posted:

Ugh. My ps3 is back with my wife in Illinois and I sold my vita a long time ago. Rip
Good news! It looks like Konami is considering a PS4 port of not only Symphony, but also its prequel Rondo of Blood (the game "Final Stage: Bloodlines") is based off of), if this South Korean rating for "Castlevania Requiem" is to be taken seriously.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I just want to point out that during the upside down library, everyone watching the video held their breath every time you killed a Schmoo. They drop a certain little sword called Crissaegrim. It's so notoriously broken that Nintendo actually gives it a nod in Smash Bros Ultimate, where Alucard's assist trophy has it equipped instead of just the Alucard sword

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

I don't think its come up yet (since there isn't any evidence from the last couple videos), but Yorkshire, my expectations are loading up on when you'll share the biggest secret of the game.

Since I still don't remember this coming up.

I tried to be cute with that. Just push any d-pad direction when "Now Loading" is on screen.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 39 - The Perfect Way For This to End

And that my friends is all she wrote!

As the (hopefully unobtrusive) segment at the end notes, we'll be coming back for our next LP, Mega Man 11 with an introduction on October 5th and a formal start to the proceedings on October the 8th. In the mean time, I'll be upgrading the OP ahead of archive and hopefully discussing a bunch more spoilers with you!

And if it isn't too cheeky to ask, rate the thread so I know if I'm a horrible failure or not!

Thanks so much for following along and hopefully Tea and I will see you in our next thread.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

voted 5 for Bishounen Senshi Sailor Vampire

srsly, cool LP and I look forward to more megamen

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I give this LP a solid 188.4% out of uh.. 5?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The version of the game included with Dracula X Chronicles also has a Maria mode, and it's not the same as the Maria mode in the Saturn version. In the Saturn version, Maria played practiaclly identically to Richter; she had all the same sub-weapons and most if not all of the same fighting game moves, although I don't know if she had Richter's Item Crashes. The DXC version of Maria has unique sub-weapons and Item Crashes based on her moveset in Rondo of Blood, where she had abilities based upon the Four Symbols of the Chinese constellations (Tiger, Dragon, Turtle, and Phoenix).

The icon on your save file after dying to the bird is Konami Man, the protagonist of another (Japan-only) Konami game for the NES.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SatansOnion posted:

voted 5 for Bishounen Senshi Sailor Vampire

srsly, cool LP and I look forward to more megamen

:same:

Bat friend being a long term friend was also one of the best results of the spoiler policy.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Richter and Julius are pretty tough, but I'd say that Juste is tougher. Besides being a total badass, I don't think anyone else has managed to help shake off someone else being turned into Dracula, Xehanort style, by talking about all the times they bro'd out together.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Commander Keene posted:

The version of the game included with Dracula X Chronicles also has a Maria mode, and it's not the same as the Maria mode in the Saturn version. In the Saturn version, Maria played practiaclly identically to Richter; she had all the same sub-weapons and most if not all of the same fighting game moves, although I don't know if she had Richter's Item Crashes. The DXC version of Maria has unique sub-weapons and Item Crashes based on her moveset in Rondo of Blood, where she had abilities based upon the Four Symbols of the Chinese constellations (Tiger, Dragon, Turtle, and Phoenix).

She didn't have the Item Crashes in the Saturn version, but she had 7 special spells she could do with button combinations, making her notably stronger than her DXC version as far as I know.

Wiki link to the spells.

She also did have fairly different movement options, like a triple jump.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cyflan posted:

She didn't have the Item Crashes in the Saturn version, but she had 7 special spells she could do with button combinations, making her notably stronger than her DXC version as far as I know.

Wiki link to the spells.

She also did have fairly different movement options, like a triple jump.

One of the things I've really been enjoying after I finished is watching speed runs on Richter/Maria mode. They seems absolutely hilarious.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ok you guys are fun but I had to stop watching halfway through episode 5 because of nat’s constant purposefully annoying stuborness. Him reaching like 9 health even though he had a potion to use and then letting it get to 1 and him trying to jump up one of those red skeleton lifts like 7 times taking hits the whole time even though he knew from an early episode it wouldn’t work were making me pull my hair out

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You played the game like that clip from the simpsons where Bart keeps grabbing the electric cupcake thinking he’s eventually going to get it lol

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Actually all of that was hilarious.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Aesop Poprock posted:

You played the game like that clip from the simpsons where Bart keeps grabbing the electric cupcake thinking he’s eventually going to get it lol

In one way that gets better. I get more used to the items and abilities I have over time and use them more frequently and cautiously.

On the other hand lord knows if I've my mind set on something I will try to do it regardless of sense.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

In one way that gets better. I get more used to the items and abilities I have over time and use them more frequently and cautiously.

On the other hand lord knows if I've my mind set on something I will try to do it regardless of sense.

Yeah,you not exploring the old castle was kinda infuriating. I forgot what's inside that clocktower portcullis,Nat!

How will I find out now????

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What made me the angriest is when Nat decided not to get a Muramasa drop and then go kill a billion mermen and/or dark octopuses to turn it into a good weapon.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zanzibar Ham posted:

What made me the angriest is when Nat decided not to get a Muramasa drop and then go kill a billion mermen and/or dark octopuses to turn it into a good weapon.
I think the recommended strategy for powering up the Muramasa is to grab the Dagger sub-weapon, equip as much Int-lowering gear as possible (because sub-weapon damage scales off of Int IIRC), and then just rapid-fire Daggers into Dark Octopi. It's based off the number of times you absorb blood, not kill an enemy, so you only need to deal at least 1 damage and make sure you catch the blood splatter.

...That's actually pretty gruesome when you think about it, huh.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The ol Criss is the more powerful option. But I've always been more fond of the sweet punch fist the lion drops in the library. Because that has a literal Hadoken, AND a machinegun punch.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah,you not exploring the old castle was kinda infuriating. I forgot what's inside that clocktower portcullis,Nat!

How will I find out now????
You probably forgot for the same reason I always forget until I open that door. How boring the reward is for the effort put in :effort:

Gold plate, Steel helmet, and the Star Flail which... Isn't as cool as it sounds. A bunch of mediocre gear that could already be out of date by the time you take on the clock tower. (The diamond plate is on clear display in the library shop, for example.) You'd figure for a semi-secret it would at least be stronger than the ice mail sitting out in the open next to the shaman shield in the clock tower for once you get the vertical oomph to grab those.

Reverse tower's version has a life apple, Diamond, and the Sun Stone. The last of which is a nice +5 to everything, but only for what the game clock considers daytime. Which is nice but see "By the time you get it..." because even Nat was loaded up on cool toys by then.

The most hilarious "I'm glad they didn't remember" to me was never backtracking to the east tower of the first castle to use Mist. Mirror armor is some of the weakest in the game, but hey immunity to petrify would have deprived us of the traditional ire towards medusa heads.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 21, 2018

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Section Z posted:

Which is nice but see "By the time you get it..." because even Nat was loaded up on cool toys by then.
He still managed to not use the Moonstone (despite the active bonus showing up fir a second in one video) in favor of inferior powerups.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I was really hoping the Medusa Shield would drop. Not only is the Shield Rod spell (eye lasers) hilariously awesome, he just might have figured out that it damages enemies on contact - which probably would have taught him that that is a thing he could do, and give him a hint for the Alucard Shield.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
On one hand the Shield Rod/Alucard Shield combo is the most overpowered bullshit you'll ever see, but on the other hand it's kinda hilarious in its brokenness, so I almost wish they'd figured that one out.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
One of the major reasons I made the choice to never go back was because I didn't really feel like it would make for entertaining viewing.

I already felt a little bad that I was killing everything in the reverse castle with such ease that I didn't want to both make the game easier and extend the playthrough meaning everyone had to watch more of that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Natural 20 posted:

One of the major reasons I made the choice to never go back was because I didn't really feel like it would make for entertaining viewing.

I already felt a little bad that I was killing everything in the reverse castle with such ease that I didn't want to both make the game easier and extend the playthrough meaning everyone had to watch more of that.
The only reason I regret you never going back to the proper library is that you never bought the cape with a color change menu.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Section Z posted:

The only reason I regret you never going back to the proper library is that you never bought the cape with a color change menu.

Batucard could have been SO HANDSOME for Bat Friend.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Section Z posted:

I maintain the reverse library should have had another shop.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I maintain the reverse library should have had another shop.

Only if the shopkeeper and the UI were upside down, and one item was priced at 5,318,008. or at least 58,008.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

FeyerbrandX posted:

Only if the shopkeeper and the UI were upside down, and one item was priced at 5,318,008. or at least 58,008.
There's nothing quite like juvenile humor based on calculator fonts.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
Of a final note, now that spoilers are gone, this video is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxJZtm-MVEI

It's one of the well-known speedrunners of Castlevania games breaking SotN alongside Koji Igarashi, one of the most well-known figures who worked on SotN. The results are pretty amazing and you get to see exactly how broken SotN really is if you try hard enough.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Natural 20 posted:

To be fair I have honestly never played or even watched the game and watching you play it got me to buy it and I’m having a blast. Is the clock item kind of a cheat though cause I got that early on (I’m still really early on) and I froze my clone enemy twice when he tried the dive strike and he was gone in two turns. I kind of like being a vampire time wizard regardless

Also are those weird howling doggy skull things that never stop respawning in that one room basically a grinding paradise cause they barely hurt you even if they hit you and they drop like $400 sometimes. I went through 3 levels just bouncing around fighting them

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

AncientSpark posted:

Of a final note, now that spoilers are gone, this video is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxJZtm-MVEI

It's one of the well-known speedrunners of Castlevania games breaking SotN alongside Koji Igarashi, one of the most well-known figures who worked on SotN. The results are pretty amazing and you get to see exactly how broken SotN really is if you try hard enough.

This is the best thing. :allears:

Though really it's also kind of like setting fire to an artist's painting while they watch. Or possibly butchering their pet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Black Robe posted:

.Though really it's also kind of like setting fire to an artist's painting while they watch. Or possibly butchering their pet.

Is it though? In order to discover these sort of glitches, the speed runners have played countless hours of the game, and care enough about the game to want to be the fastest in the world at beating it. I'd say it's more along the lines of the Lit teacher going through and deriving a books worth of metaphor and allegory from "The sky was blue" when the writer just meant the sky was blue. The runners are bringing entirely new ways to play that might not be the intended way, but still result in people enjoying the art that the creators made.

• Locked thread