Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Southpaw posted:

Not quite legal yet, but drat! Lancia Delta
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-FJ2BLbZUWBKlKa.htm

Holy crap that's amazing, best hot hatch ever made. Somebody is gonna need deep pockets for that one I imagine.

Kaker could you post the selling price on it once it's done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Is it this one? https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHEQuS2tAfqANOc.htm

I think I want to shoot to win a decent Cappuccino.

I was bidding on another, I saw this one though. I think this is the first time JCD was actually happy with my bids. Camry went for 272 and the CRAPPO went for 222 which is ridiculous. Wouldn’t have been crazy for the 4 grade linked.

If you want something go for it, I’d say prices are exploding.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

This Cappo seems to be in crazy good shape. Special edition or custom in some way?
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-tBViKUHUBZYzJcv.htm

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

This Cappo seems to be in crazy good shape. Special edition or custom in some way?
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-tBViKUHUBZYzJcv.htm

One of the cleanest sheets I’ve seen. I’d get the trans on what the text is with the exclamations, probably like something about this thing is clean AF. Let me know if you are bidding

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Sure

everdave posted:

I was bidding on another, I saw this one though. I think this is the first time JCD was actually happy with my bids. Camry went for 272 and the CRAPPO went for 222 which is ridiculous. Wouldn’t have been crazy for the 4 grade linked.

If you want something go for it, I’d say prices are exploding.

2400 USD for that quality level with as low a miles is a steal. That you bought your Majesta for as little as you did is somewhat common yeah, but that Camry is on a whole other level and was a 5 speed manaul. Remember you are competing with people that want personal vehicles too. 2400 for that is cheap as all hell, at the end of the road that's less than 5500.

I don't see prices exploding at all, I see the same sort of prices that's always been. Cappos are cheaper than they were, Beats are ultra cheap and AZ-1s have stabilized.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Holy crap that's amazing, best hot hatch ever made. Somebody is gonna need deep pockets for that one I imagine.

We had one at cars and coffee this month

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Sure

2400 USD for that quality level with as low a miles is a steal. That you bought your Majesta for as little as you did is somewhat common yeah, but that Camry is on a whole other level and was a 5 speed manaul. Remember you are competing with people that want personal vehicles too. 2400 for that is cheap as all hell, at the end of the road that's less than 5500.

I don't see prices exploding at all, I see the same sort of prices that's always been. Cappos are cheaper than they were, Beats are ultra cheap and AZ-1s have stabilized.

I bid 250 on the Camry we thought I had it

I was bidding on a crappy cappo to get as a personal beater but it went for over 200 and even May says that was not worth anywhere near that. You buy more cars than me so I realize you know more than me. I’m just feeling it out

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Holy crap that's amazing, best hot hatch ever made.
Australian rally and feline enthusiast post incoming in 3, 2...

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
since we all like weirdo japanese stuff i came across this

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-ohThwAv5dWLxcMp.htm

Also here is a '76 toyota crown that looks too clean.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-HBqIXy0tJ4tt3.htm

and a diesel hilux?

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-XPLh2IogDiHhYY.htm

wargames fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 19, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Never seen one! Why is it a 2? It has a clean sheet. If you get a translation or inspection let us know. 2 is considered crap but that looks great.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

I bid 250 on the Camry we thought I had it

I was bidding on a crappy cappo to get as a personal beater but it went for over 200 and even May says that was not worth anywhere near that. You buy more cars than me so I realize you know more than me. I’m just feeling it out

It's just that you and I go at it from different angles. If I see something I want I work out what the profit is I think I could make, then bid toward that. At worst I pay what I bid and (hopefully) get the profit I've worked toward. At best (and most times really) I get it for far less than my bid, but since I was the highest bid I get the thing anyway. The AZ-1s, the Land Cruisers, Surf, all of those I paid far less than my actual bid.

For the Cappo and if it's going to be for personal use, don't go lovely.

Good ones are out there for little money, just gotta be patient.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The Japanese obsession with drilling holes in the loving dashboards has got to stop.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So if that Cappo sold for 250k yen you're looking at somewhere around $5500 to have it at your door and registered, does that sound right?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Dang that’s a nice one. 250 and dark blue yeah I’d do that. I know we are different. Let me get rid of this Majesta and I’ll step up. I mean I paid 700 for the Prado

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

So if that Cappo sold for 250k yen you're looking at somewhere around $5500 to have it at your door and registered, does that sound right?

Yes

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Australian rally and feline enthusiast post incoming in 3, 2...

Lemme guess, Lancia horrible poo poo, Subaru better :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Don Lapre posted:

The Japanese obsession with drilling holes in the loving dashboards has got to stop.

The obsession with removing the rear bumper (and thus the license plate location), putting in that awful chrome tube one, drilling 5 holes right into the rear body panel, and then wiring up a garbage light and covering up the "Jimny" logo in the back with the plate has got to stop. Try to find a Jimny that doesn't have this done to it is asinine. I know it's a style thing but goddamn, why drill right into the loving body panel?
That and clear coating single-stage paint because the shine is gone. Just polish it! That's all that needs to be done!!!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Don Lapre posted:

That applies to bodywork, too, I mean, whoever buys that red Cappo needs to really like the body kit and spoiler.

Lemme guess, Lancia horrible poo poo, Subaru better :v:
Ask him!

Though I also disagree it's the best hot hatch, but what is very much depends on your opinion of what the term should entail.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Body kits are terrible. Especially when you watch a video of a guy who bought an RX7 with a bad kit remove it only to discover the PO cut the finders to fit big wheels and you hear his heart break when he sees the damage.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
Well, I bought a thing:

Auction Sheet posted:

5MT, ac, diesel, bumper guard, rear mounted spare, small chips in windshield, interior dirty and scratches, steering wheel worn, seats sunk, undercarriage surface rust, other dents scratches paint peeling and faded.

Inspection posted:

Truck is in very good condition:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, no sludge, coolant color and level ok, valve cover area slightly oily, tires at 50%, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarriage light surface rust only, boots ok, roof trim slightly bent, drivers seat slightly sunk and worn on door side, other seats good, dashboard ok, ceiling liner dirty, no burns, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd lever ok but dash lights do not turn on, lights ok, wipers ok, windows ok, mirrors ok

Inspector said the truck was in very good condition for age.

This is one of the best inspection reports I've ever gotten back from JCD, and even though it's not the Gen I that I was hoping for, it ticks plenty of other boxes for me like the locking center diff, manual transmission, and sweet intercooler hood scoop. I'll have to figure out what's going on with the 4wd lights on the dash, but I'm guessing that either bulbs are burnt out or more likely the sending unit on the transfer case is unplugged or has dirty connectors. Aside from that it looks like I will just need to clean the interior and restore the paint and I'll be set. Unfortunately I can't import this until December due to the manufacture date, but it's a good reminder that it's almost time to start looking at 1994 stuff.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Rhyno posted:

Body kits are terrible. Especially when you watch a video of a guy who bought an RX7 with a bad kit remove it only to discover the PO cut the finders to fit big wheels and you hear his heart break when he sees the damage.

To be fair, if a car has overfenders you should 100% expect the underlying body to be cut to the body line in full overfenders and pretty close to the flare edge in the case of small flares. That is their entire point

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BlackMK4 posted:

To be fair, if a car has overfenders you should 100% expect the underlying body to be cut to the body line in full overfenders and pretty close to the case of small flares. That is their entire point

I guess. I've seen quite a few de-kitting vids where there's been not cutting done though.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Southpaw posted:

Not quite legal yet, but drat! Lancia Delta
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-FJ2BLbZUWBKlKa.htm

MB Unimog https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-tliGZDH3Eizheg.htm
Hmm, why am I suddenly looking at Euro cars from Japan?

Also, was someone trying to import to Oregon but ran into DMV issues? I recall maybe it was kei cars they were trying?

Im the one, you are going to have a bad time with Oregon DMV. Be prepared to fight/lawyer up to get them to register it. I have heard people saying they are even having trouble getting the Vans registered.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Mtmd posted:

Well, Hiace is released as of 2 days ago. Called the terminal that it's at and it's in a non-TWIC area so all I need to get in is the purchase order and a driver's license. Going to download a few hours worth of podcasts and head down to Houston on Wednesday to pick it up.

Houston is a viable port for RORO?
Dang it, there's one step closer to me buying a JC Cosmo (I'm in Dallas area.)

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Riller posted:

Well, I bought a thing:

This is one of the best inspection reports I've ever gotten back from JCD, and even though it's not the Gen I that I was hoping for, it ticks plenty of other boxes for me like the locking center diff, manual transmission, and sweet intercooler hood scoop. I'll have to figure out what's going on with the 4wd lights on the dash, but I'm guessing that either bulbs are burnt out or more likely the sending unit on the transfer case is unplugged or has dirty connectors. Aside from that it looks like I will just need to clean the interior and restore the paint and I'll be set. Unfortunately I can't import this until December due to the manufacture date, but it's a good reminder that it's almost time to start looking at 1994 stuff.

A few years ago I was visiting my then-GF for a month in Japan and picked up a '99 Pajero Mini (the kei version) as a runabout for a thousand bucks - was my first manual car. Didn't ever try out the 4WD but it was fun driving in the mountains, felt like a street legal go-kart :kiddo: Well, not with 4 people in it, but certainly with 1-2.

Pretty bad milage though, IIRC it struggled to get 300-350kms out of tank, whereas most keis I've driven were around 450-550 depending on conditions.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Im the one, you are going to have a bad time with Oregon DMV. Be prepared to fight/lawyer up to get them to register it. I have heard people saying they are even having trouble getting the Vans registered.

Do they give you a reason or do they just not have any official guidance on how to do it so they just deny? I'm in Oregon and finally registered on JCD, but I'm probably not all that close to pulling the trigger on anything - just curious what possible issue could arise.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Have any goons run a car through Long Beach yet?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

dphi posted:

Do they give you a reason or do they just not have any official guidance on how to do it so they just deny? I'm in Oregon and finally registered on JCD, but I'm probably not all that close to pulling the trigger on anything - just curious what possible issue could arise.

Ok so the long story is a bit complicated so bear with me. Me and three other guys went in on these cars (I am a WA resident, three are OR residents). We got the first kei truck through no problem (went to No. Pdx dmv and they didnt seem to care), one of the other guys did not follow our directions and tried to get it registered at the Sherwood DMV. The lady was described as a "typical govt employee" and decided she could make laws on the spot. She called Salem they said register it , its fine. Fast forward 6 weeks later same partner calls and talks to Salem, they said the app had "off road only application" written along the top of the app (Sherwood Govt Employee wrote this after my partner left). He talked with them and said that is not correct I want it as a regular street vehicle. Salem person said ok we will mail it out in 4-6 weeks. Fast forward another 4 weeks and my partner got all the paperwork in the mail with a letter saying the were refusing to process the vehicle as an on-road vehicle. They stated it did not meet federal emissions requirements (except we passed OR DEQ [more stringent] and we had the federal exemption [21 years]), the vehicle did not meet federal safety [federally exempt at 20 years]. They said we would need to have the application re reviewed by their legal team. When we asked why (as all the forms declaring exemptions from literally everything were present) they said they followed a Memo written by Mitch McConnell (giant piece of human poo poo) about how kei trucks were going to destroy america.

At this point the truck was drawing way more attention then we wanted, so I took it and registered in WA (does not care as long as car is 25 years or older) and sold it in Washington.

I have since heard that they are basically stonewalling anything they can. Kei vans are starting to be denied, trucks are getting outright denied, I think Loanarn still has not received his Oregon title yet on his GTR (he would have to verify).

Myself and one of the other partners looked through nearly all the vehicle related ORS, unless there is some random statute that says the DOL has the right to refuse service (I don't think a govt branch can do that) then there is no actual law saying they can do what they are doing.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

Have any goons run a car through Long Beach yet?

All I have heard is that it is as by the book as Tacoma is.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was hoping to get an importer recommendation :) I need to get all of my info straight before I start bidding and gently caress up.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Just call https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/los-angeleslong-beach-seaport

they will recommend a few import brokers. If they tell you one is their favorite , use that person.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
thank you :)

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I haven't seen much talk about Hondas other than the Beat - has anyone seen an Accord Aerodeck pop up? Or better yet (but probably a longer shot), a CRX with a glass roof?

drat, thanks, that's good to know. It's funny, I use the Sherwood DMV since it's got the shortest wait times and they're usually pretty cool but that sounds pretty lovely. My parents live in WA so I could probably get a car registered there instead if I had to.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I can't do anything about it for a year or two but what are Silvia/180/200SXs going for? I'd love to get a nice one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've also kinda looked at that, but I figure a JZX90, JZX100, or JZX110 as they come up eligible for importation might be a better option since you will probably be able to find a S13 or S14 here for about the same amount of money all said and done, then not have to deal with RHD. Most of the ones I see are in similar shape as the majority here.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

Wrar posted:

I can't do anything about it for a year or two but what are Silvia/180/200SXs going for? I'd love to get a nice one.

Your best bet is to create an account at japancardirect.com and keep an eye on the sales statistics. It looks like most of them that have sold in the past 3 months have been through USS auctions, which don't show the final price. I can see pricing for (1) 180SX that sold for $5,390 and (3) Silvias that sold for between $1,830 and $7,050. That's for grade 3.5 or 4, and the statistics only go back 3 months. By keeping an eye on it you can get a better idea of how the market is for a particular vehicle. I know literally nothing about these Nissans, but I don't see any 200SXs, so either it wasn't a Japan market vehicle or there just haven't been any sold in the past 3 months.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Also, like ^ said

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Riller posted:

Well, I bought a thing:

You forgot the best part, yellow fog lights. Looks great!
You sure that the date shown on the sheet there (5th year of reign, 12 for December) is the manufactured date and not the registration date? The Rugger says December as well but was actually manufactured in August so it's legal for import.

dphi posted:

I haven't seen much talk about Hondas other than the Beat - has anyone seen an Accord Aerodeck pop up? Or better yet (but probably a longer shot), a CRX with a glass roof?

A few times, the Aerodecks more than the others. We're talking like 4-5 times in the last 6 or so months though.

EDIT
A guy I follow on Instragram uses a Subaru Sambar as his track bike hauler. 660cc truck hauling a 1000cc bike.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 20, 2018

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

KakerMix posted:

A few times, the Aerodecks more than the others. We're talking like 4-5 times in the last 6 or so months though.

Cool, yeah, I didn't see an Aerodecks in the statistics so figured they were rare. A few glass roof CRXs but no sold price shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh my god, I loving love it. :rms: