Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

null_pointer posted:

Qualifications: 10+ years working for one of the largest healthcare companies in America. As me anything.

whats the magic cheat code to get single-payer healthcare in the USA

is it :thermidor:? I bet its :thermidor:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

"there is no cow level"

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tyler Durden style except on the insurance companies instead of credit companies.

Though might as well do both while you're at it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

That's not quite true - you'd have paid an entire £8.80 for any prescription meds you needed after the treatment.

Hey, Scotland has free prescriptions.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

That's not quite true - you'd have paid an entire £8.80 for any prescription meds you needed after the treatment.

Maybe in the crap part of the UK

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
For some reason I have an open ticket sitting on me from last night that was resolved but not closed, and has a -2 hour resolve time.

Why the gently caress does it feel like I'm the only person with more than half a brain here, and why the gently caress do I always have to clean up other people's stupid mistakes.

For the record, the system checks for valid times and will stop you if you put something stupid in. I have no idea how they brute forced an invalid time in, it shouldn't even be possible. However they did it, it would've been easier to just do it correctly.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanatosian posted:

Don't forget that the costs are determined through backroom deals between hospital networks and insurance companies, and that if you want to know how much something costs they won't tell you because it's literally a trade secret.

This is starting to change. There are some providers where you can log in online and get a real-time quote for services, including what you're insurance will cover.

There are operations in the works to allow this in 'guest mode' so people can actually shop around, comparing prices and insurance coverage at different providers until they find the best deal.

The willingness for providers and large hospital systems to buy in and set up this service is pitifully low, at best, but might eventually one day (years from now) get a tiny bit better.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I don't know if my expectation are too high or too low here.

My helpdesk dude is basically either trolling me, or trolling users, probably both.

There was an issue with some software we use and I was working in another city so I couldn't look at it as I didn't have remote access to this remote system (secure bla bla)
So somehow, when the issue was raised with helpdesk dude, who is pretty new and he didn't know how to deal with it - instead of saying "oh I'll go check with angry armadillo, or the vendor support guys" he basically told the user he didn't know what to do. At this point, the user then got upset that their issue apparently wasn't going to be resolved which helpdesk dude took as a personal attack.

There was then an issue today where helpdesk dude told someone they couldn't have something as we are cutting an old system over to the new system and the old system isn't available anymore. When I said to him those people need access to old system, so don't tell them they can't, he changed his tune to "I didn't say couldn't - I said I didn't know"

This is why I said trolling - I think he is saying poo poo like that to get a reaction out of the user - when in reality, I said do the cut over in a specific way so the users can get old and new without issues.

so I think we are going to have some kind of chat about how presenting yourself as competent and not trying to irritate your colleagues by suggesting their issues cant be resolved is somewhat more important than you getting reactions out of people because you are a bit mental.

I need some time to figure out how I approach this professionally haha.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

is it :thermidor:? I bet its :thermidor:

You are correct. Only after all insurance company executives, boards, and lobbyists have been lined up against the wall will single-payer healthcare in the US be possible.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sfwarlock posted:

He is absolutely going to get covered for it, but at the same time there were several dumb things that were done here. Mind you, we can't quite point to the employee handbook and say "You failed to follow this line." (although we are looking over the OSHA rules on confined-space work (which I don't think apply, but IANAL)), partially because we don't have much of a handbook; but at the same time, he should have propped the door, he should have let me or someone here know where he was going, he's a pretty big dude and that stepstool may only have been rated for 200 lbs... there was not a lot of good judgment or foresight demonstrated here.

I think every org needs to go through something like this to see changes made; they are hiring someone to rewrite the (or, more likely, provide us with a framework for a whole new) employee handbook, cameras are going in, official stools are being ordered, and of course after this, orientation will be more in-depth.

1. It it the norm for employees entering a secure private area to go in multiples? IE, is this done every time?
2. He used a stool to get at something. Do you have a properly rated ladder or other equipment readily available to do whatever work he needed to be off the floor to reach? Was using whatever was available to him safe or unsafe the norm?
3. If he was to tell you he was going to that site change any of the above?

The employer defines what is suppose to be normal operating procedures for this stuff. If you don't make safe working habits clearly required and reasonably convenient you are going to have accidents like this.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Might be kinda late, but it loving baffles me that anyone is allowed to go anywhere alone who isn't a director (directors regularly say gently caress off to all policies).

Where I previously worked, if i'm going into the server room to change the backup tapes over, I was supposed to take an apprentice with me. What actually happened was I showed him the first couple of times, then after that he'd just wait by the door drinking his tea or whatever while I did the swap.

Even where i'm at now, which is a much smaller company, the policy is "Are you with someone? Why the gently caress not? Get someone to go with you, even sales staff if you have nobody else".

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

dogstile posted:

Might be kinda late, but it loving baffles me that anyone is allowed to go anywhere alone who isn't a director (directors regularly say gently caress off to all policies).

Where I previously worked, if i'm going into the server room to change the backup tapes over, I was supposed to take an apprentice with me. What actually happened was I showed him the first couple of times, then after that he'd just wait by the door drinking his tea or whatever while I did the swap.

Even where i'm at now, which is a much smaller company, the policy is "Are you with someone? Why the gently caress not? Get someone to go with you, even sales staff if you have nobody else".

Is this the new IT norm? Aside from my current job where I sit at a desk I am rarely alone aside from some early morning software deployments. When I did msp work, being alone in a server room, crawling up a ladder into the drop ceiling to swap hidden switches or going onto a flat roof to reset a point to point antenna was the norm. A lot of the time I was at the client site alone after hours and that was what was needed. Hell I had to go into clients site alone for on call emergencies when flood sensors tripped in a server room ( it was always condensation on the AC.) If I was with coworkers it was in the msp office or during a major infrastructure upgrade.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in...

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: demotion from computer janitor to normal janitor

I've only got 3 more days in this job, and the helldesk slackeneth not. Come Monday I start out doing actual infrastructure engineering. C'moooon, pod

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 18, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

blackswordca posted:

Is this the new IT norm? Aside from my current job where I sit at a desk I am rarely alone aside from some early morning software deployments. When I did msp work, being alone in a server room, crawling up a ladder into the drop ceiling to swap hidden switches or going onto a flat roof to reset a point to point antenna was the norm. A lot of the time I was at the client site alone after hours and that was what was needed. Hell I had to go into clients site alone for on call emergencies when flood sensors tripped in a server room ( it was always condensation on the AC.) If I was with coworkers it was in the msp office or during a major infrastructure upgrade.

Hurt yourself once and it'll be the norm.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MJP posted:

A ticket came in...
I've only got 3 more days in this job, and the helldesk slackeneth not. Come Monday I start out doing actual infrastructure engineering. C'moooon, pod

Probably best to take the phone number out so nobody calls to ask if her fridge is running.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MJP posted:

A ticket came in...

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: demotion from computer janitor to normal janitor

Datacenter work is less IT than it is filling skips and vacuuming TBH. It's why I'm already looking at moving.

Well... Part of why. Literally every service account across all four sites here have the same logins and passwords for all systems... :negative:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The HSA talk made me try to figure out how to sign in to mine. There was almost 80 dollars in it! And then I looked and saw I was being charged a $3.50 monthly maintenance fee :(

I don't use the insurance here anymore since my wife's is much better, so I forgot that I even had money in the HSA. I filed a claim for reimbursement for the rest of it, I've definitely spent $80 in medical expenses this year.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Fuckin’ healthcare.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

sfwarlock posted:

He is absolutely going to get covered for it, but at the same time there were several dumb things that were done here. Mind you, we can't quite point to the employee handbook and say "You failed to follow this line." (although we are looking over the OSHA rules on confined-space work (which I don't think apply, but IANAL)), partially because we don't have much of a handbook; but at the same time, he should have propped the door, he should have let me or someone here know where he was going, he's a pretty big dude and that stepstool may only have been rated for 200 lbs... there was not a lot of good judgment or foresight demonstrated here.

I think every org needs to go through something like this to see changes made; they are hiring someone to rewrite the (or, more likely, provide us with a framework for a whole new) employee handbook, cameras are going in, official stools are being ordered, and of course after this, orientation will be more in-depth.

I have never ever heard of a security room being propped open during maintenance, not to mention that this isn't feasible for air conditioned and fire protected areas. Hell, most security rooms have door-open alarms. This is simply victim blaming, the org should have a process for registering a lone worker and checking up on them, and tbh there shouldn't be any room not accessible to someone on staff at a remote site during office hours.
Sure, dude should have told someone where he was going, but blaming him for lacking emergency planning is just terrible.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SEKCobra posted:

but blaming him for lacking emergency planning is just terrible.

Terribly cost efficient!

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

I have never ever heard of a security room being propped open during maintenance, not to mention that this isn't feasible for air conditioned and fire protected areas. Hell, most security rooms have door-open alarms. This is simply victim blaming, the org should have a process for registering a lone worker and checking up on them, and tbh there shouldn't be any room not accessible to someone on staff at a remote site during office hours.
Sure, dude should have told someone where he was going, but blaming him for lacking emergency planning is just terrible.

The technical term where I live in this type of case is "Failure to provide a safe system of work". It is a liability on the person in control of the organisation as well as the company.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

myron cope posted:

I don't use the insurance here anymore since my wife's is much better, so I forgot that I even had money in the HSA. I filed a claim for reimbursement for the rest of it, I've definitely spent $80 in medical expenses this year.

At my last job, if your spouse could get employee provided health care from their job, they couldn't be part of the company plan. So even if their health care plan was crap, they were stuck with it.

If they didn't have employee provided health care, you had to provide a signed affidavit stating this to get on the plan with your spouse.

I no longer work there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wiggly posted:

At my last job, if your spouse could get employee provided health care from their job, they couldn't be part of the company plan. So even if their health care plan was crap, they were stuck with it.

If they didn't have employee provided health care, you had to provide a signed affidavit stating this to get on the plan with your spouse.

I no longer work there.

I remember that penny pinching poo poo. Back in the mid 2000's. When healthcare costs started to rocket up. They went around and checked with the employers of spouses and booted people.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The large-retail-chain-headquartered-in-milwaukee (the one that didn’t just go tits-up) makes Mrs. Schadenboner pay a fee for my company offering (awful small/medium-business) insurance but I hadn’t heard of places doing a straight ban. hosed up. :sever:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Bob Morales posted:

I remember that penny pinching poo poo. Back in the mid 2000's. When healthcare costs started to rocket up. They went around and checked with the employers of spouses and booted people.
My current and previous employers charge extra for spouses who can get their own coverage, but if they tried to boot them then there'd be open revolt.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I loving hate capitalism.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

iospace posted:

I loving hate capitalism.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Two of the worst local offenders of the crash/austerity economy are based in my datacenter and while I'd never work again I'd be a folk hero if I broke their poo poo.

Aragaith
Jul 26, 2006

Kirisame Marisa.
In space.
Help.
I am part of a giant mix of hospitals, so the ticket system we have has teams and tickets for every place bouncing around it. I glanced at the overall high priority tickets this morning.

Priority 2 Ticket: Cafeteria Kiosks do not display breakfast menu.

Breakfast is serious business. A reboot of the kiosks resolved issue. I wish my office had cafeteria kiosks. I also wish I could get some of my open issues bumped to priority 2 to get them resolved. None of these back end teams want to fix their stuff unless its priority 2. This tablet that we only install air watch agent on and authenticate it to the air watch server then downloads the incorrect versions of software and people keep asking us why the tablets have the wrong version and to factory reset it again. Fix your settings fools.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aragaith posted:

I am part of a giant mix of hospitals, so the ticket system we have has teams and tickets for every place bouncing around it. I glanced at the overall high priority tickets this morning.

Priority 2 Ticket: Cafeteria Kiosks do not display breakfast menu.

Breakfast is serious business. A reboot of the kiosks resolved issue. I wish my office had cafeteria kiosks. I also wish I could get some of my open issues bumped to priority 2 to get them resolved. None of these back end teams want to fix their stuff unless its priority 2. This tablet that we only install air watch agent on and authenticate it to the air watch server then downloads the incorrect versions of software and people keep asking us why the tablets have the wrong version and to factory reset it again. Fix your settings fools.

The Cafeteria gets looked after because then they will look after the IT guys come breakfast/lunch/dinner :ssh:. Really whichever team handles should raise it to Priority 1.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Spear phishing attempt; names changed
This is the third email from the scammer and still no alarm bells trigger for Billy. Fortunately he had to ask how to raise a PO and the person he asked was like uh...

quote:

To: Billy Jones <billy.jones@company.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Errand!!!

What I need is Apple iTunes gift card of £100 face value. I need 5 of Each card. That's £100 X 5. £500. Scratch the back out and Email me the codes for easy distribution. Let me know.
Thanks

Sent from iPad

Why bother impersonating domains when users are so much dumber than mail filters?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

bitterandtwisted posted:

Spear phishing attempt; names changed
This is the third email from the scammer and still no alarm bells trigger for Billy. Fortunately he had to ask how to raise a PO and the person he asked was like uh...

Why bother impersonating domains when users are so much dumber than mail filters?

So the real person doesn’t get the reply email

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Our acquisition randomly subsitutes 0 and O in their system names and they have no standard that would dictate when you expect to see a number or a letter.

I'm going to power bomb whoever made up their "convention".

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Arquinsiel posted:

Two of the worst local offenders of the crash/austerity economy are based in my datacenter and while I'd never work again

:eng101: only if you get caught...

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

:eng101: only if you get caught...

Exactly. If the fire also happened to destroy the security tapes.....

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Renegret posted:

Our acquisition randomly subsitutes 0 and O in their system names and they have no standard that would dictate when you expect to see a number or a letter.

I'm going to power bomb whoever made up their "convention".

This makes me want to rename everything in combinations of O, 0, I, and l. 0Il0lO0lOOIIO0 can be our file server, but don't get it mixed up with 0ll0lO0lOOII00, the DNS server.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The Human Cow posted:

This makes me want to rename everything in combinations of O, 0, I, and l. 0Il0lO0lOOIIO0 can be our file server, but don't get it mixed up with 0ll0lO0lOOII00, the DNS server.

Thanks, I hate it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Insert xkcd about the license plate

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

Two of the worst local offenders of the crash/austerity economy are based in my datacenter and while I'd never work again I'd be a folk hero if I broke their poo poo.

Start a GoFundMe. I'll kick in on your future living expenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

The Human Cow posted:

Be sure to mix in | and ○