Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

madeup quotes from cab drivers are the highest form of column

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

are made-up stories about how your less cultured friends are confused by italian lunchmeats a sub-genre or an evolution of the form?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

How did she ever get hired by the NY Times anyway? Most of the other opinion columnists there are just stupid or incurious, but Weiss is actively deceitful.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

LGD posted:

are made-up stories about how your less cultured friends are confused by italian lunchmeats a sub-genre or an evolution of the form?

that's a criminally underappreciated story, that was gold

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Shear Modulus posted:

Tom Friedman still pulls that tired poo poo.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Willie Tomg posted:

Recently I took a friend with only a high school degree to lunch. Insensitively, I led her into a gourmet sandwich shop. Suddenly I saw her face freeze up as she was confronted with sandwiches named ‘Padrino’ and ‘Pomodor’ and ingredients like soppressata, capocollo and a striata baguette. I quickly asked her if she wanted to go somewhere else and she anxiously nodded yes and we ate Mexican

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

pospysyl posted:

How did she ever get hired by the NY Times anyway?

well you see-

quote:

but Weiss is actively deceitful.

ok nevermind you got it

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

babypolis posted:

i have no idea what the point of this article is. she wrote only 3 small paragraphs, more than half of it is just a quote. if nothing else its insulting what a lazy loving hack she is

she's saying that government regulation is actually bad, and it would be better for everyone if everything dangerous was totally unregulated so that people would be more careful

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1042176200515506176

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

pospysyl posted:

How did she ever get hired by the NY Times anyway? Most of the other opinion columnists there are just stupid or incurious, but Weiss is actively deceitful.

networking and nepotism

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willie Tomg posted:

Recently I took a friend with only a high school degree to lunch. Insensitively, I led her into a gourmet sandwich shop. Suddenly I saw her face freeze up as she was confronted with sandwiches named ‘Padrino’ and ‘Pomodor’ and ingredients like soppressata, capocollo and a striata baguette. I quickly asked her if she wanted to go somewhere else and she anxiously nodded yes and we ate Mexican

real talk i went to a pizzeria in brooklyn and got something with pepperoncini on it and its just loving hot peppers i want some god drat meat on this poo poo what the gently caress 17 USD for this poo poo suck my dick new york

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Owned

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

That particular mcardle piece is a fake I I think but its not significantly dumber than the norm

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
every McArdle piece is just "hey, what if libertarianism was good and governments were bad? now, I'm not necessarily saying that's the case, but suppose it's true and that everything you've ever heard to the contrary is bullshit? really makes you think, huh?"

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

pospysyl posted:

Post-Trump the Times opinion page felt that it needed a habitually dishonest scumbag as a regular.

I'm only lightly joking.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

personally i'm a fan of the fake one

E: NM

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

Post-Trump the Times opinion page felt that it needed a habitually dishonest scumbag as a regular.

I'm only lightly joking.

is the joke that they hired two in weiss and stephens

those two morons are extremely post-trump in every column is racist or otherwise terrible and they defend it by saying you cant call them racist because free speech whereas friedman for example writes a racist or otherwise terrible opinion and then defends it by saying free markets

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

The fun part about this is they come up with an annual increase of about $2 trillion and project that forward till they get to their total. It's completely arbitrary, and the funny part is it's as much as Trump's tax cuts will add to the deficit.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Referring to the victims primarily as prostitutes gives the impression that their deaths aren't worth caring about, which is why serial killers target sex workers in the first place.

See Stewart Lee's description of how far Richard Little John would go for the accurate naming of dead women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_JCBmY9NGM&t=293s

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The "You People All Look Alike To Us" New York Times

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

yeah it's a real mystery why the scumbag zionist rabble-rouser got a clear path to the most influential editorial page in the world. can't imagine how this happened in our meritocratic media ecosystem.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lol aren't you supposed to dredge some conservative cretinous ghoul out of the crypt to push this op-ed instead of hoisting your own editorial board on the petard

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

comedyblissoption posted:

lol aren't you supposed to dredge some conservative cretinous ghoul out of the crypt to push this op-ed instead of hoisting your own editorial board on the petard

Welcome to Murdoch publications.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

R. Guyovich posted:

yeah it's a real mystery why the scumbag zionist rabble-rouser got a clear path to the most influential editorial page in the world. can't imagine how this happened in our meritocratic media ecosystem.

Careful...

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

what

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If you imply that liberal media has a pro-zionist bias that means you think it's controlled by the Jews, and not just that liberal media loves zionism.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
journalists are currently having a meltdown on twitter because Momentum have banned the Sun newspaper as the event is being held in liverpool

https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/1042394903962112000

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

You know who else tried to rape high school girls when he was young?
He went on to have quite the career!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

Tom Friedman still pulls that tired poo poo.

He also does hotel workers, or he used to. Not only can he make up his own quotes, he can show himself as the big smart American reassuring the foreign poor people.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

You're a terrible poster with bad opinions and you should fix them.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the enslaving new york times

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1042452853300682752

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/caraNYT/status/1042467966552555521

owned

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Whoa.

I didn't read that essay but the publication has been quite good under his editorship.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Streak posted:

real talk i went to a pizzeria in brooklyn and got something with pepperoncini on it and its just loving hot peppers i want some god drat meat on this poo poo what the gently caress 17 USD for this poo poo suck my dick new york

I've heard you can get some giant slices for pretty cheap, you got ROBBED

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
A year's subscription to the New York Review of Books, read critically, is one of the best liberal educations available.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

Whoa.

I didn't read that essay but the publication has been quite good under his editorship.

I don't think he deserved to be fired for publishing that, although the interview he gave with Isaac Chotiner here was sort of lovely and evasive

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/jian-ghomeshi-new-york-review-of-books-essay.html

It's ironic of course because Buruma made his career in criticizing Japan for moral hypocricy and prevarication, and was one of the first and best examples of the "misanthropic straight white man sexpat trashes the benighted, subhuman natives" type of writing that dominates coverage of Japan and Asia. I think he got less bad as time went on but his early stuff on Japan from the 80s is incredibly shrill and hostile

As for NYRB in general, eh, it's pretty good, but has some obnoxious liberal tendencies and always has, as far as I can tell reading the archives. Better than the New Yorker-NYT-Atlantic Axis of Liberalism for sure, but clearly inferior to the London Review of Books

icantfindaname has issued a correction as of 19:22 on Sep 19, 2018

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grondoth posted:

I've heard you can get some giant slices for pretty cheap, you got ROBBED

I went to Joe's pizza later on and got my money's worth there. I mean it's still expensive but New York gonna New York

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Oh for sure. And they have enough contributing editors in place that I assume the journal kind of runs itself now with Silvers's old team.

It's liberal to the core, so like I said, read it critically. But the range & depth of topics and the seriousness of the cultural writing makes it, like I said, one of the best liberal educations available.

The LRB is better but smaller each week, and I think the NYRB has the edge on literary reviews (as opposed to pure political writing).

Also, check out c-spam's Periodicals Chat Thread, that would be a good place for this.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

New Yorker-NYT-Atlantic Axis of Liberalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol

https://twitter.com/joncaramanica/status/1042425647006707712