Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

If you ever get a hold of a 3DS then you can try Etrian Odyssey which is the best dungeon crawling series right now. EO4 is particularly great.

Not creepy at all, too. Awesome series.

The Etrian Odyssey games are very good, although a couple of the options for how your party members look are a bit creepy, but that's totally avoidable. If we're talking consoles, the Shin Megami Tensei series includes some great dungeon crawlers, check out Nocturne (PS2) for the best of the main series or Strange Journey (DS) for a more standard grid-based take on the formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Strange Journey is the most Wizardry of the Mega Tens as well.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Terminally Bored posted:

If you ever get a hold of a 3DS then you can try Etrian Odyssey which is the best dungeon crawling series right now. EO4 is particularly great.

Not creepy at all, too. Awesome series.

Four still has the female dancer class and 5 still has that one Rover pic of dubious age at a minimum, it's creep all the way down I just don't use those tbh

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

double nine posted:

are there more good arcade-y shooting games in the vein of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Bulletstorm or Immortal Redneck?

You've already played Doom, Serious Sam, Painkiller, and EDF, right?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Accordion Man posted:

Strange Journey is the most Wizardry of the Mega Tens as well.

Still pissed that it does not let you add notes to the map, like the Etrian games do.
That would have made Eridanus bearable.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Really Pants posted:

You've already played Doom, Serious Sam, Painkiller, and EDF, right?

yes yes no and no.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

shs posted:

A game I developed is going to be released on Steam later today. It's called Majula Frontier. It's not an early access or beta game or anything like that. It's a regular release.

Here's a short description.

There's a full overview of the game on my homepage and the Steam page.

If don't like to read words, watch the trailer instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qtDjO67RTw

The game is a little bit similar to Darkest Dungeon, but there's more emphasis on story, characters and crafting, and less on roguelike permadeath elements (there really aren't any). Dungeon crawling is listed in the description but it's more like a dungeon gauntlet of battles.

That's a giant rear end post. If anyone has questions or comments or issues with the game, I'll be following this thread for awhile.

Hey, that seems pretty neat. Have to say, the art reminds me of Order of the Stick and looked way better in movement than I expected from the screenshots.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

double nine posted:

yes yes no and no.
Painkiller is good, but I'd say its aged rather poorly just because so many better FPSes that take influence from 90's FPS design have been coming out in recent years, so its not as notable as it was back in the mid 2000's.

I'd actually recommend playing Shadow Warrior 2013 over it, because its essentially Painkiller's superior spiritual successor alongside Doom 2016.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I have a weakness for dungeon crawlers, and while EO series is undeniably bad with the creepy art, it has a good dungeon crawler aside from that. In the Disgaea games you can skip pretty much every cutscene, so hopefully you can ignore the anime and focus on the gameplay?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

double nine posted:

yes yes no and no.

Painkiller is basically Serious Sam's high school goth phase. The Black Edition has the first two games; I've heard the others are not very good.

The Earth Defence Force games are third person, and you have to grind for weapons & health which can suck in the late game, but it is tons of fun blowing up huge armies of giant B-movie bugs, giant robots, giant spaceships, giant giants, etc. Get EDF4.1, or wait for EDF5 to come out.

Accordion Man posted:

I'd actually recommend playing Shadow Warrior 2013 over it, because its essentially Painkiller's superior spiritual successor alongside Doom 2016.

Oh drat, I forgot all about this one. A great choice.

Overload is another excellent recent arcade shooter, but it's a Descent clone rather than a Doom clone--flying spaceships through mines and caves in full 3D.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 19, 2018

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
https://store.steampowered.com/app/896640/Dead_In_Vinland__The_Vallhund/

:3:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I should probably have mentioned that I've played most of the SMT and EO games (while avoiding the creepy art, as others have stated) and I'm looking for stuff specifically on PC. Is there just not all that much available?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I must be weird because I thought the shooting in Immortal Redneck was terrible. Especially compared to Doom. Very floaty and plinky

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

I would buy this dlc

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I should probably have mentioned that I've played most of the SMT and EO games (while avoiding the creepy art, as others have stated) and I'm looking for stuff specifically on PC. Is there just not all that much available?

Sadly yeah like people have said handhelds are your best bet.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Operations Abyss and Babel are not bad shoutouts for dungeon crawler as well. I got Babel on sale and there isn't really much fanservice to speak of, particularly if you go Classic portraits. I got Stranger of Sword City in the same sale and I'm finding Babel to be the more enjoyable of the two Experience drpgs. Stranger has much better art though.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 19, 2018

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I can only think of two that have not already been mentioned or are PSP/Vita/console ports.

Vaporum is supposed to be pretty decent, but it only has one character so misses the party-building and min-maxing that is a big part of the fun of dungeon crawlers. Also steampunk if that bothers you.

HYAKKI CASTLE is based off Japanese folklore but not anime. It suffers from a really tedious UI and a party-splitting gimmick that does not add much.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Apparently Echo actually came out. And has good reviews.

I don't remember anyone in the thread actually talking about it. Impressions?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Echo is good! It's been out for a fair while, too.

The gimmick is that the incredibly gorgeous surreal palace halls you're trying to sneak through have an artificial day/night cycle, and the enemies are clones of your character. Any actions you take during the "day"--sprinting, takedowns, vaulting over railings, using elevators, firing your gun, anything at all--will get snapshotted by the palace, and on the next "day" all the clones will know how to do them too. It makes them more dangerous, but you can also exploit it to alter their patrol routes and get them out of the way.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

shs posted:

A game I developed is going to be released on Steam later today. It's called Majula Frontier. It's not an early access or beta game or anything like that. It's a regular release.

If don't like to read words, watch the trailer instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qtDjO67RTw

The game is a little bit similar to Darkest Dungeon, but there's more emphasis on story, characters and crafting, and less on roguelike permadeath elements (there really aren't any). Dungeon crawling is listed in the description but it's more like a dungeon gauntlet of battles.

Normal price is $20. If you buy it through my website today (the 19th), you can get it for $15.

I also wrote a series of 5 fantasy novels that take place before Majula Frontier (yes I have a lot of free time). Those are available on Steam (requires you to own Majula Frontier), and also Amazon, iBooks, Apple and Kobo. There will be a Steam bundle that includes the game, the books, and the soundtrack with a 15% discount. Most of the soundtrack was created by Dale North, who makes nice music, and one of the songs was created by a goon poster, but I don't know if he reads this thread or is even active on the forums anymore.

If you plan to play the game, I wrote a short guide that explains some small details that might not be immediately obvious.

So the game is officially out on Steam. And my website as well, if you scroll down a bit.

I guess there's not much left to say. Play it and have fun, I suppose.

If the combat ever feels slow, there's a faster combat option in the settings menu. Also, the game saves automatically after each turn, whenever you exit a dungeon, and anytime you see a prompt that says "Your Progress will be saved".

Here are a few more Steam keys.

1. __QKX-3KLV3-VGMLD
2. __I5N-GJEEH-8DJFB
3. __J68-72GM3-V32CQ
4. __7QM-4QGL6-QH9WJ
5. __7EI-W3W38-FJ0MR

Replace the underscores with these:

1. R6
2. YR
3. M3
4. C0
5. CA

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009

shs posted:

So the game is officially out on Steam. And my website as well, if you scroll down a bit.

If the combat ever feels slow, there's a faster combat option in the settings menu. Also, the game saves automatically after each turn, whenever you exit a dungeon, and anytime you see a prompt that says "Your Progress will be saved".

1. __QKX-3KLV3-VGMLD
2. __I5N-GJEEH-8DJFB
3. __J68-72GM3-V32CQ
4. __7QM-4QGL6-QH9WJ
5. __7EI-W3W38-FJ0MR

1. R6
2. YR
3. M3
4. C0
5. CA

Thanks I took #4.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

shs posted:

1. __QKX-3KLV3-VGMLD
2. __I5N-GJEEH-8DJFB
3. __J68-72GM3-V32CQ
4. __7QM-4QGL6-QH9WJ
5. __7EI-W3W38-FJ0MR

1. R6
2. YR
3. M3
4. C0
5. CA
Thanks! I took #5.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

shs posted:

1. __QKX-3KLV3-VGMLD
2. __I5N-GJEEH-8DJFB
3. __J68-72GM3-V32CQ
4. __7QM-4QGL6-QH9WJ
5. __7EI-W3W38-FJ0MR

1. R6
2. YR
3. M3
4. C0
5. CA

I took #2, thank you and congrats on release!

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

shs posted:

1. __QKX-3KLV3-VGMLD
2. __I5N-GJEEH-8DJFB
3. __J68-72GM3-V32CQ
4. __7QM-4QGL6-QH9WJ
5. __7EI-W3W38-FJ0MR

1. R6
2. YR
3. M3
4. C0
5. CA

Took #3, thanks for the key.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
This probably will interest the VN folk

https://twitter.com/Siliconera/status/1042221760697888768

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Heck yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X85KOAYfObc

It and the original are both coming to Switch too which is pretty neat

oh, this was announced the other day too and it looks like it'll be pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPnxQtVfn0M

Knorth fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 19, 2018

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Echo is pretty cool. Has a slow start but in a good way like well paced horror movie. Gameplay isn't the tightest, but the atmosphere is pulled off well.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

shs posted:

1. __QKX-3KLV3-VGMLD
1. R6
Grabbed the first one, thanks! Been following your development in the Making Games thread; congrats on the release!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

if you love love love wizardry you can play elminage

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I have a weakness for dungeon crawlers, and while EO series is undeniably bad with the creepy art, it has a good dungeon crawler aside from that. In the Disgaea games you can skip pretty much every cutscene, so hopefully you can ignore the anime and focus on the gameplay?

Skip Operation Babel if too much anime is not for you

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Woof

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

On the plus side the monster designs are pretty great

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

i pretty much never say this but that's just too many dogs

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Video games are bad.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Eliminage Gothic might be worth a shot?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Star Crawlers is pretty good and cool

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is Quantum Break at all worth playing? It's 10 canadabux on*makes Italian cross sign with fingers* Windows Store. Or should I just wait for Control if I want some weird, Remedy-style action?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just finished Shadow Tactics and goddamn that last mission is a loving slog. Good game overall, but that last mission just had so many moving parts that I have no idea how I actually succeeded, except abusing the hell out of Yuki and Aiko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I know it's not much help now, but there is a way to assassinate your target before you ever reach the second half of that mission.