Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ciaphas posted:

I got a thing to go to tonight, I'm just gonna quote the intro part of the email:

And then they go into the roles they're hiring rn, one of which I'm an almost-fit for (close enough to warrant applying in the first place, anyway)

So question since I've never even heard of a "hiring event" (it's at a meeting room in a local hotel, the Gold Coast): is this probably something worth going to? I have an easy excuse to get out with if i'd just be wasting my time

sounds like worst case scenario they have free drinks and snacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rex-Goliath posted:

sounds like worst case scenario they have free drinks and snacks

kinda my reckon as well but it's a fantastically lovely drive

probably a moot point, might not get done with work in time to go see anyone anyway, but we'll see

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Symbolic Butt posted:

I think I got a job :toot:

congrats. getting new jobs is both cool and good.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
is it really

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

definitely a dubious claim by myself 5 minutes ago

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

work sucks school sucks death to mods

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Diva Cupcake posted:

congrats. getting new jobs is both cool and good.

thanks

qsvui posted:

is it really

it is, compared to being unemployed for almost a year!

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
i went to an on-site and wasn't asked to do any whiteboard coding :wtf:
they just asked me questions about my experience and asked me to explain a few technologies i'm familiar with

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

meatpotato posted:

they just asked me questions about my experience and asked me to explain a few technologies i'm familiar with

it's probably a bad company, or hiring interns

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
my friend got fired today and i feel bad for her

i think it will end up a blessing in disguise because she was unhappy at the place but a big part of the reason she hadn't quit was that she didn't want to feel like she failed and welp

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
company does whiteboarding with generic programming problems:
"bad company, you shouldn't do toy problems"

company does whiteboarding with domain-specific problems:
"bad company, you're doing work for free"

company doesn't do whiteboarding:
"bad company, poor hiring practices"

summary:
all companies bad
the world is a gently caress

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
鬼神 hire ‘em all 1099

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

meatpotato posted:

fwiw this was my first job and it ended up being alright

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
my first job was like that too, it was good for the first two years but the last two years were a shitshow

come to think of it, the next job i got didn’t ask me to code either

tbh i was pleasantly surprised not to code but it may hint the other employees they hire could be subpar like me

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

meatpotato posted:

鬼神 hire ‘em all 1099

2,147,483,647 dev ops

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I pretty much despise pair programming.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

qhat posted:

same *reads documentation together*

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

meatpotato posted:

鬼神 hire ‘em all 1099

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Of the three people who reached out last time, one didn't send a resume, one ghosted my HR team after they were invited to in-person interviews, and one is negotiating a salary with HR today. So if anyone else is interested in DataRobot I guess shoot me a PM as we're still hiring like mad?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qhat posted:

if you think it's that bad, imagine how the person who has to work with you feels.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

TimWinter posted:

Of the three people who reached out last time, one didn't send a resume, one ghosted my HR team after they were invited to in-person interviews, and one is negotiating a salary with HR today. So if anyone else is interested in DataRobot I guess shoot me a PM as we're still hiring like mad?

where are you, what are your key technologies, and how are the figgies

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the idea of pair programming being A Thing spooks the poo poo out of me as i go to interviews because oh my loving stars and daughters i'm an anxious socially dead boy

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Ploft-shell crab posted:

fwiw this was my first job and it ended up being alright

this was my first job and the company went under three months after i left

unrelated, they were scamming on govt contracts while madly backfilling turnover with fresh grads and h-1bs

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
pair programming is a good thing to do for like 2 hours once a month

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

pair programming is a good thing to do for like 2 hours once a month

i mean yeah i don't mind at all sitting with a coworker for an hour or two to hash out something, but not as a regular thing

i'd simply run out of gas, it takes constant sustained effort for me to be sociable and i wish i was exaggerating

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
I’m at my worst programming-wise when people are watching me do it. Pairing is so valuable for juniors or people new to the team though

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Bloody posted:

where are you, what are your key technologies, and how are the figgies

Located in Boston with a remote dev heavy culture. It's an automated data science shop so it's all python backend and angular or react frontends, with heaps of sci libs powering the real business logic. Figs are good, but could always be better. I hear we pay more now that we have 400 people in the company and can't pretend we're a startup anymore.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
lotta terrible programmer takes on pair programming itt

Ciaphas posted:

i'd simply run out of gas, it takes constant sustained effort for me to be sociable and i wish i was exaggerating

this is called being introverted and almost every programmer is. it's not an interview, it's not a date, there's no pressure to be funny and charming in this situation. you should be comfortable talking to your peers about code, and if not, you should practice until you are

Ploft-shell crab posted:

pairing is so valuable for juniors or people new to the team though

or when you want to know what your team is working on so you can help out (if they go on vacation, if you have spare cycles, etc). or when you want architectural review early in the process where the cost of changes is low. learning is not unique to junior programmers either, i routinely paired with other seniors with different strengths than mine to learn about systems programming, kubernetes, AWS, and a ton of other stuff.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

new gig is a loving lonely existence. line manager is in London. direct report is in Munich and the systems engineers are in Delhi. throw on top of that an open floor sit anywhere you want policy and there’s basically no reason to be in the office. I could have stayed in New York.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Everyone learns things differently, some simply just do not learn by watching other people type code or having someone else breathing down their neck. It's got nothing to do with introversion. Some non-"introverted" pairs also end up spending more time blabbering on and/or arguing rather than actually doing the work, and not because they are incompetent engineers. If pair programming works for your team then great, but don't force it on people and tell them to get used to it or whatever, because it just doesn't work well for some people/projects.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

qhat posted:

Everyone learns things differently, some simply just do not learn by watching other people type code or having someone else breathing down their neck. It's got nothing to do with introversion. Some non-"introverted" pairs also end up spending more time blabbering on and/or arguing rather than actually doing the work, and not because they are incompetent engineers. If pair programming works for your team then great, but don't force it on people and tell them to get used to it or whatever, because it just doesn't work well for some people/projects.

In my experience its only been useful for debugging or in person code reviews, its helpful to explain whats happening and have someone ask questions, etc.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
:eyepop: jeeeeezus the no-whiteboard-coding place gave me an unofficial salary offer about 35% more than I made at my last job

also i would be called señor software engineer

this poo poo rules, it's my first job offer in five years and i still have about five more companies im in the process of interviewing at and will hopefully have the dilemma of choosing an offer from

ahh, to feel wanted

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

meatpotato posted:

:eyepop: jeeeeezus the no-whiteboard-coding place gave me an unofficial salary offer about 35% more than I made at my last job

this poo poo rules, it's my first job offer in five years and i still have about five more companies im in the process of interviewing at and will hopefully have the dilemma of choosing an offer from

ahh, to feel wanted

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

qhat posted:

i said exactly 0 of these things, but

- the learning that comes from pair programming (which is only one of its benefits) doesn't come from watching the other person code, it comes from having a conversation with the other person about the code. there are no textbooks or coursera classes for your codebase

- "breathing down your neck" is a really antagonistic way to frame collaborating with your teammates

- are you complaining that some coworkers SOCIALIZE on the job? the absolute horror. also arguing is more often debating which is doing the work.

- i'm not in a position to force anything on anyone. someone here was considering applying to a company that had an already established pairing policy, and was up front about it

also two misc thoughts

- i've paired on 3 different teams, albeit all in the backend webshit sphere, but on considerably different tasks (writing APIs, setting up deployment pipelines, migrating services into AWS) and it was almost always useful

- when a company says they pair on 100% of things, they don't mean actually 100%. some things are trivial to do in a couple minutes, other times people aren't just available for pairing

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

meatpotato posted:

ahh, to feel wanted

goongrats but also don't bank on anything until you actually have it in formal writing

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

meatpotato posted:

ahh, to feel wanted

congrats :)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pie Colony posted:

i said exactly 0 of these things, but

- the learning that comes from pair programming (which is only one of its benefits) doesn't come from watching the other person code, it comes from having a conversation with the other person about the code. there are no textbooks or coursera classes for your codebase

- "breathing down your neck" is a really antagonistic way to frame collaborating with your teammates

- are you complaining that some coworkers SOCIALIZE on the job? the absolute horror. also arguing is more often debating which is doing the work.

- i'm not in a position to force anything on anyone. someone here was considering applying to a company that had an already established pairing policy, and was up front about it

also two misc thoughts

- i've paired on 3 different teams, albeit all in the backend webshit sphere, but on considerably different tasks (writing APIs, setting up deployment pipelines, migrating services into AWS) and it was almost always useful

- when a company says they pair on 100% of things, they don't mean actually 100%. some things are trivial to do in a couple minutes, other times people aren't just available for pairing

Counterpoint: a friend of mine quit a job because of their bad pair programming policy. Nothing could get merged to develop branch that was not paired.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CPColin posted:

2,147,483,647 dev ops

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

Counterpoint: a friend of mine quit a job because of their bad pair programming policy. Nothing could get merged to develop branch that was not paired.

yea like a lot of processes (agile, issue tracking) it's possible to do poorly, but i think implemented well it's a net positive. i know that's a tautology, etc etc, but at the end of the day i'll fight for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Dollhouse
Dec 11, 2004
gorkagorkagorka
job search status: no more phone janitor, code janitor starting oct 1.

this thread has had lots of good thoughts and i am very grateful for it