Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Barudak posted:

You already know he is if you solve it by destroying the statues.

Wait what?!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wait what?!?!?!

The statues in the boss room have speakers in them. Blow them up and the music cuts out and he can no longer dodge your shots.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

The statues in the boss room have speakers in them. Blow them up and the music cuts out and he can no longer dodge your shots.

:stare: What.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you dick around long enough after Cambell tells you to switch over to the second controller port without switching ports he suggest destroying the statues. Its a backup solution that was likely implemented in case you had a busted second port or a revision of the hardware changed the number of ports.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I thought Psycho Mantis was psyche being him being a magicboy in Metal Gear Solid V and all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The PS1 also existed with an analog controller for longer than it did with the digital controller (Dual Analog came just over 2 years after the JP release). I honestly don't see why this thing isn't at least going to have Dual Analogs if they were worried about the rumble motors bumping up costs.

Still wouldn't allow for Ape Escape but y'know, it'd be something.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, that's a good point. Didn't Sony lose a lawsuit for using someone else's rumble technology? Maybe that's why they're not using those.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They eventually settled that in 2007 having looked it up, hence why the PS3 launched without rumble and the Dualshock 3 launched pretty much immediately when they settled.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm sure Sony still makes Dualshock 3's. I'm surprised they didn't just include one of those in the box and let people use their old ones for the second controller. If they used the Vita TV's guts it would have made even more sense.

edit: apparently PS3 production has stopped already? :lol: so maybe they aren't making Dualshock 3 anymore.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They stuck remaining Dual Shock 3 controllers in those Playstation TV bundles that were discontinued a few months before the PS3 in the west.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

punk rebel ecks posted:

It reveals Psycho Mantis is a hoax?

hell call you out for being poor if you dont have a dual shock plugged in

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The simple answer for why they're not going dual analog is that it's cheaper. No matter how you slice it, the PS1 Classic is going to be much more expensive to develop than Nintendo or Sega's offerings. Besides needing a bit beefier hardware (though they'll probably salvage things from earlier projects for it), there's the game problem. Sony does not have a deep game catalog. Look at the games we know they're including: FF7, Ridge Racer R4, Jumping Flash, Wild Arms, Tekken 3. There's exactly one game there that Sony owns [Edit: Huh. Turns out Sony actually owns Wild Arms outright. No, I don't know why either. But have the good thing from that game anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq8EKttSu3I]. Sony's been incredibly dependent on third party publishers and so they're going to be paying a lot more in licensing fees than Nintendo did. Given that the dualshock was only required hardware for the tiniest handful of games, it's no surprise that Sony decided to cut corners there.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

What are my options for getting/making arcade cabinets for games that have largish peripherals. For Example; Time Crisis with the pedal thing, Taiko with the big rear end drums, etc, etc. If I'm decently handy are there schematics for cabinets, boards, and peripherals I can buy separately? Or is it a shell out $$$$$ and get the entire cabinet sort of deal?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your PC that can run highly accurate emulators costs about $1000+, remember, and that's not an ideal pricepoint for a Mini that needs to land somewhere about 1/10th of that.

Yeah that laptop costs $1000. Back in 2006, when I bought it.

And if we insist on like actual BSNES/Higan stuff even still that was the $1000 laptop I bought in 2011 and that was quite a bit of overkill for it.

To take another perspective, the high end phones of 2013 or so could run accurate Genesis emulation - and you can buy entire phones as powerful as them for $100 or so straight up. Factor out the cost of the screen and battery and we're talking seriously low costs for the processing power you nerd, especially in "big company is manufacturing a whole bunch" numbers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Random Stranger posted:

The simple answer for why they're not going dual analog is that it's cheaper. No matter how you slice it, the PS1 Classic is going to be much more expensive to develop than Nintendo or Sega's offerings. Besides needing a bit beefier hardware (though they'll probably salvage things from earlier projects for it), there's the game problem. Sony does not have a deep game catalog. Look at the games we know they're including: FF7, Ridge Racer R4, Jumping Flash, Wild Arms, Tekken 3. There's exactly one game there that Sony owns [Edit: Huh. Turns out Sony actually owns Wild Arms outright. No, I don't know why either. But have the good thing from that game anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq8EKttSu3I]. Sony's been incredibly dependent on third party publishers and so they're going to be paying a lot more in licensing fees than Nintendo did. Given that the dualshock was only required hardware for the tiniest handful of games, it's no surprise that Sony decided to cut corners there.

Fortunately Sony has Twisted Metal 2 and Alundra and those alone would make it worth it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Barudak posted:

are you fuckin serious with this

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I love wild arms and I love the remake. Ff7 is the devil. Thanks for reading.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

are you fuckin serious with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHVf_ZvdUkE

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whoa, dunno why i remebered it being music related. Ah well lazy kid me remembered that strategy because like hell if I was getting up.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That's actually really interesting that the PSX version has a fallback method and the PC version just doesn't have the gimmick at all.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Karasu Tengu posted:

That's actually really interesting that the PSX version has a fallback method and the PC version just doesn't have the gimmick at all.

I think they patched the PC version at some point because I played a pirated 1.0 version and he definitely dodged shots.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Something is telling me this is using the Vita hardware and will have bluetooth support to use a DS4 for analog support. They will likely rerelease those PS1 style DS4 to go along with them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Fortunately Sony has Twisted Metal 2 and Alundra and those alone would make it worth it.

Looking at what Sony owns and could put on the PS1 classic, the best thing that stands out to me is Intelligent Qube. Now I like IQ and it's a rare and expensive game, but I don't see people lining up for it.

Gran Turismo has licensing problems that are almost definitely insurmountable for the project. An entry from Cool Boarders or Jet Moto seems likely since any the licensing problems on those are easier to deal with. Toshinden is probable even though they've already got Tekken just because Sony can put it on the system for nothing. Similarly, a Siphon Filter and Twisted Metal game (yes, probably 2) are almost definitely in. They could conceivably include Parappa but that would require them being silly enough to put a rhythm designed for CRT's on their system... so 50/50 chance.

And that's pretty much it for things that Sony can just put on the PS1 classic without paying anybody (well, paying anyone for the software). There's other options, of course, that are even more marginal and I'm sure they'll pick a couple of them to pad things out. But they're going to be paying through the nose for the rest of the games on the system.

As long as I'm posting, I came across a few super obscure Saturn games that I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them. The first is Feng Shui Master and seems to be about arranging an apartment for maximum energy flow. Looks weird and goofy and I love that kind of thing, but I'm wondering how much of a game is there. The second is Zork 1 for the Saturn which just tickles my funny bone at the idea. It looks like it might have been reworked as a visual novel. Anyone know anything about that port?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think they patched the PC version at some point because I played a pirated 1.0 version and he definitely dodged shots.

Something I found online said he only dodges shots if you use a controller and I did not have a controller back in 2004 when I bought the PC version.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Karasu Tengu posted:

Something I found online said he only dodges shots if you use a controller and I did not have a controller back in 2004 when I bought the PC version.

Hm, I probably was using a Logitech pad, come to think of it. I guess the idea was to switch to the keyboard for the trick but I'm a bit thick in the head :v:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

Toshinden is probable even though they've already got Tekken just because Sony can put it on the system for nothing.

Why's that? Sony didn't make and doesn't own Toshinden.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why's that? Sony didn't make and doesn't own Toshinden.

I thought that was the fighting game that they actually developed and owned. Which I guess just goes to show how shallow their bench really is.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
Really hoping that it will include MGS and a Resident Evil title, although I wonder if they will shy away from Mature rated games for maximum marketability.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

I thought that was the fighting game that they actually developed and owned. Which I guess just goes to show how shallow their bench really is.

Nah, Takara Tomy owns the brand and Tamsoft made the games, they're the Senran Kagura studio nowadays.

Toshinden got around - there were Saturn versions, a Game Boy version, a Wii reboot that nobody played, even an old PC port featuring Earthworm Jim as a playable character.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The Game Boy version of Battle Arena Toshinden was published by Nintendo in the US, which was kinda weird. They also published the Game Boy version of King of Fighters 95 in the US.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nah, Takara Tomy owns the brand and Tamsoft made the games, they're the Senran Kagura studio nowadays.

Toshinden got around - there were Saturn versions, a Game Boy version, a Wii reboot that nobody played, even an old PC port featuring Earthworm Jim as a playable character.

And it had an anime OVA, which I vividly remember as it was one of the very first animes I ever saw in an unedited format(and definitely the first I saw with nudity in it)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

People tend to forget that Sony initially struggled to make compelling first party games.

Outside of Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Twisted Metal, and Gran Turismo they didn't have too much on their plate.

It wasn't until the PS3 that Sony really started consistently releasing hit game after hit game.

I distinctly remember around the time the Xbox 360 launched when people mentioned the lack of compelling Microsoft franchises, people would say "well remember how Sony started out with the Playstation?"

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 20, 2018

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If this thing doesn't have Symphony of the Night, Crash Team Racing and Mega Man Legends, it can go rot in a dumpster

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phantasium posted:

Also the making of Lunar (2?) disc so I can skip to the end of Xenogears at the same time.

Say what now???

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Outside of Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Twisted Metal, and Gran Turismo they didn't have too much on their plate.
Crash and Spyro were both published by Universal Interactive Studios, which was eventually subsumed into the Activision empire. Twisted Metal and GT were both first party, though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Random Stranger posted:

Gran Turismo has licensing problems that are almost definitely insurmountable for the project. An entry from Cool Boarders or Jet Moto seems likely since any the licensing problems on those are easier to deal with.

Moto Racer, maybe? That was pretty fun, especially split-screen multiplayer.

I'm also hoping for a Wipeout game, but that may be too optimistic.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sony's put Wipeout on everything even if they aren't actually making new ones any more so I'd guarantee a Wipeout game assuming they can clear the soundtracks. The only question is which one.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'd say it'd have to be the first one because why put out one of the later entries if they're not offering analogue controls but then again, R4's on there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

Sony's put Wipeout on everything even if they aren't actually making new ones any more so I'd guarantee a Wipeout game assuming they can clear the soundtracks. The only question is which one.

The big deciding question for a number of titles will be "Do they want to compete with the remasters?" Because those exist for the Crash, Spyro, and Wipeout PSX games on PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It'd probably be a licensing nightmare, but Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 should be included. Since Square Enix is really loose with their licensing, and they own Eidos and Crystal Dynamics, I wouldn't rule out seeing Tomb Raider 2 and Soul Reaver on the PSX Classic. Capcom's also usually good about licensing for these mini consoles, so Resident Evil 1, a Mega Man game of some sort (preferably Legends), Street Fighter Alpha 3 and maybe Breath of Fire 3 are probably a good bet, too. The only stumbling block would be Konami, because a PSX Classic without MGS, Suikoden 1 or 2, Silent Hill and SoTN would just be kinda tragic.

Also $100 for 20 games is ludicrous, this thing should either be $20 cheaper or have 10 more games.