Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Is Dario back yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

Ghidzilla posted:

Anyone else notice it looked like the fans refusing to move screwed up something in that main event?

I think Hernandez was heeling it up. He made a section of the crowd move out of the way, flipped them off, and tossed Pentagon back into the ring. It was great.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
Good point. I'll have to give that a rewatch.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I love Hernandez. He's a fairly straightforward heel but he's very expressive.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I love Joey and XO so much :3:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I can't believe Marty paid such an exorbitant amount to gently caress Matanza.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Ivelisse has vastly improved since Season 1

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
That opening segment this week and whole Catrina/Melissa stuff was wild.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
just found out that marty the moth is one of my 7 followers on twitter and that’s the only LU news i have because el rey went away for me not long ago

so i’m wondering if LU ever put out physical media of the episodes? i don’t like “buying” digital-only media

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

The Science of Suck posted:

so i’m wondering if LU ever put out physical media of the episodes? i don’t like “buying” digital-only media

Their first season used to be available as Blu Rays on Amazon for around 60 bucks, not sure if they still are avaible though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I don't know how that Fenix storyline is gonna turn out but that brief bit in the ring was the most excited I've ever been watching him.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
loving what? This week's episode was majorly disappointing. It was WWE As gently caress to be honest.

Who was that new woman?

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

loving what? This week's episode was majorly disappointing. It was WWE As gently caress to be honest.

Dude, everything that happened was the consequence of stuff that was set up in the previous episodes. That's as far from WWE as you can get.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I still watch every week but end up scrubbing through episodes because nothing really has me invested. Dark Fenix is now the most interesting thing. Most other stuff just feels like things happening for the sake of things happening. Doesn't help that the crowd seems way less rabid.

It bums me out because LU used to be the best thing happening in wrestling and now it's clearly in a very slow death spiral.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I definitely lost the feel of the first three seasons. I've commented on it here, but the "Indiana Mundo" episode was the only one so far that felt "right".

It certainly often feels like things happening for the sake of things happening because there's often several weeks between certain stories getting revisited. The Rabbit Tribe and Jake Strong are two that come to mind. It's hard to get invested in these arcs that way.

Also I'm still mad about Catrina's death. She can teleport. Why didn't she when she fell?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

frankenfreak posted:

I definitely lost the feel of the first three seasons. I've commented on it here, but the "Indiana Mundo" episode was the only one so far that felt "right".

It certainly often feels like things happening for the sake of things happening because there's often several weeks between certain stories getting revisited. The Rabbit Tribe and Jake Strong are two that come to mind. It's hard to get invested in these arcs that way.

Also I'm still mad about Catrina's death. She can teleport. Why didn't she when she fell?

She can't teleport anymore because she's not a ghost. That's why Fenix is all hosed up.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LupusAter posted:

Dude, everything that happened was the consequence of stuff that was set up in the previous episodes. That's as far from WWE as you can get.

Yes, except they took the one thing that really made GOTG stand out from MITB and arbitrarily scrapped it for the sake of taking the title off of someone over and putting it on a mediocre (comparatively) heel midcarder for ostensibly shock value.

Yeah, Dragon Azteca lost it defending it but WWE has done that gimmick too. It's not organically part of the thing, but they've done it 3 or 4 times, albeit only having it change hands once to date.

The reason it's WWE-esque is because they used GOTG in the one way I never felt they would. To put the title on a relatively random, not especially over midcarder in a way that kinda makes the new champion look like a geek (because it wasn't built to properly) and severely undermines the title. It'd bother me significantly less if Marty wasn't in "creative has nothing for you" land for 90% of the season.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Who was that new woman?

I believe that was former TNA Knockout Champion Laurel Van Ness (Chelsea Greene)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Ulty posted:

I believe that was former TNA Knockout Champion Laurel Van Ness (Chelsea Greene)

Holy poo poo I think it was. I'm so used to her other terrible look that I didn't recognize her.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yes, except they took the one thing that really made GOTG stand out from MITB and arbitrarily scrapped it for the sake of taking the title off of someone over and putting it on a mediocre (comparatively) heel midcarder for ostensibly shock value.

Yeah, Dragon Azteca lost it defending it but WWE has done that gimmick too. It's not organically part of the thing, but they've done it 3 or 4 times, albeit only having it change hands once to date.

The reason it's WWE-esque is because they used GOTG in the one way I never felt they would. To put the title on a relatively random, not especially over midcarder in a way that kinda makes the new champion look like a geek (because it wasn't built to properly) and severely undermines the title. It'd bother me significantly less if Marty wasn't in "creative has nothing for you" land for 90% of the season.

See, I didn't like when they did the GOTG cash-in at the end of the last season because it felt like it cheapened Pentagon finally becoming champion in various ways and just didn't feel true to the characters.

For Marty, I feel it absolutely worked because it fits with both wrestlers. Pentagon's constant downfall is his own actions coming back to bite him in the rear end. This is both an act of revenge and karma for Pentagon doing the same thing to Prince Puma. With Marty, it goes with Mariposa's tough love. He's spent the last few years trying to get what he wants by being a psychopath brute and hasn't been tapping into the fact that he's Ted Dibiase. He's finally succeeded because he was able to keep himself together enough to come up with a scheme and used his money to exploit Cueto's greed in order to change the rules in Marty's favor.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Gavok posted:

See, I didn't like when they did the GOTG cash-in at the end of the last season because it felt like it cheapened Pentagon finally becoming champion in various ways and just didn't feel true to the characters.

For Marty, I feel it absolutely worked because it fits with both wrestlers. Pentagon's constant downfall is his own actions coming back to bite him in the rear end. This is both an act of revenge and karma for Pentagon doing the same thing to Prince Puma. With Marty, it goes with Mariposa's tough love. He's spent the last few years trying to get what he wants by being a psychopath brute and hasn't been tapping into the fact that he's Ted Dibiase. He's finally succeeded because he was able to keep himself together enough to come up with a scheme and used his money to exploit Cueto's greed in order to change the rules in Marty's favor.

Yeah, I didn't mind it for all those reasons and because it opens up more storyline options. Now we've got a creepy bastard who has discovered that he can rig the odds in his favor just by dumping cash on Cueto's desk, a possible Pentagon "i'm breaking everyone's everything" reign of terror, Vampiro/his master's plan to bring Pentagon down from last season and how this affects that...unless this IS that plan, etc. To me, Pentagon works better as Stone Cold, dude does what he wants, when he wants, and doesn't necessarily need the title in order to be the most important thing on the show. And if he doesn't necessarily need the title, then why not use it to elevate someone else?

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 20, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

This season is Pentagon's story. Now he has something to fight for.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This season is Pentagon's story. Now he has something to fight for.

Seriously? To me it's come off more like Fenix's or Azteca's or Matanza's or even Johnny's so far. Almost literally every major character on the show has felt more focused on to me than Pentagon. With Pentagon the title defenses have felt more like a formality. Maybe that's a function of the fact that Pentagon rarely cuts any promos, but like, Pentagon has felt like a fixture, yes, but not really a focus. And before you go thinking that this contradicts my complaint, my problem isn't with the story, it's with the other subject and how it's being told. I don't buy Marty as a top level threat at all, and the whole thing feels unbelievably shoehorned, so if it's supposed to be the main thrust of the show it's doing a lovely job.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I don't think a guy who cheated in two different ways is supposed to be seen as a top level threat. This is just how we put Penta back in the story. He spent most of the show as a midcarder or gatekeeper that his title run was necessary to build his credibility as a top guy. Now he has something to chase.

I mean if months on Marty is still champion and portrayed as a worldbeater, I'll eat my words. But the guy has transitional champion written all over him.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I don't think a guy who cheated in two different ways is supposed to be seen as a top level threat. This is just how we put Penta back in the story. He spent most of the show as a midcarder or gatekeeper that his title run was necessary to build his credibility as a top guy. Now he has something to chase.

I mean if months on Marty is still champion and portrayed as a worldbeater, I'll eat my words. But the guy has transitional champion written all over him.

I just think I dislike the idea of transitional champs as a rule unless it's a feel good thing. Transitional heel champs are rear end.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Fair enough.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Seriously? To me it's come off more like Fenix's or Azteca's or Matanza's or even Johnny's so far. Almost literally every major character on the show has felt more focused on to me than Pentagon. With Pentagon the title defenses have felt more like a formality. Maybe that's a function of the fact that Pentagon rarely cuts any promos, but like, Pentagon has felt like a fixture, yes, but not really a focus. And before you go thinking that this contradicts my complaint, my problem isn't with the story, it's with the other subject and how it's being told. I don't buy Marty as a top level threat at all, and the whole thing feels unbelievably shoehorned, so if it's supposed to be the main thrust of the show it's doing a lovely job.
I both agree and disagree. One one hand, that's kind of always been the problem with fighting champion angles in wrestling: The champ's whole deal becomes "fights on show" and little else, maybe an occasional "I'll take on all comers" promo like Azteca was doing, but otherwise it's just a sitting position. The chase is always more interesting. Penta's reign also becomes more glaringly a non-focus because this season is loving bonkers so far, yet he's one of the few top guys who doesn't have a weird-rear end mysticism angle surrounding him. They've made him a Stone Cold in a room full of peak-cornball 90s Undertakers.

On the other hand, honestly I kinda love that one night can upend the entire status quo with a midcarder out of nowhere. It's such a Lucha Underground thing to do.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The next person who gets the belt should probably run it through an autoclave

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoIN7crAMmX/

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Jack! :cry:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Announcers missing a prime opportunity to use the phrase “Return of the Mack”

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Poor Jack.

XO Lishus is really good. Hopefully LU gets him on the California Indies radar

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Whoever decided that this show needed fewer luchadors and more dough-faced, largeish white guys needs to get hit by a car. The White Rabbit is the Scott's Tots episode of The Office in wrestler form. Everyone who chants 'Strong' is a traitor.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
WTF, did Matt Striker drop a QAnon reference in the middle of the Rabbit Tribe's entrance?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

WTF, did Matt Striker drop a QAnon reference in the middle of the Rabbit Tribe's entrance?

Are you really surprised Matt "THIS IS FOR BENGAHZI" Striker did this?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

He's been name-dropping a conspiracy an episode for a while. Last week was Aerostar is one of the Nordics, the week before was Aerostar is Nephilim, the week before was The Reptile Tribe are reptoid shapeshifters like the ones who rule the world

(loose recollection)

I doubt he buys it since if so, it implies he believes all the other wacko poo poo week to week

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Between the WWG1WGA drop, "he looks a little kross" and "hare apparent", Striker was on (dumpster) fire during that part of the show.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I attended the taping of the most recent episode. Jackjake Swaggerstrong is really tall. He received massive boos for giving up on trying to use that long yellow ladder to get down and taking the stairs instead. Pentagon is electric in person. Just has a great connection with the believers. My voice was gone by the end of the show, props to Melissa Santos for never having that happen. And I forgot Vampiro is a big loving dude, poo poo.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
:stare: This chair beatdown...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like that they’ve kept up the thread of Melissa announcing Marty’s name as half heartedly as she can because he was/is a creep to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I can't tell whether Reklusa is the best name or the worst name.

Mariposa relentlessly chucking chairs at Marty was amazing and I need several gifs of it please.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 5, 2018