Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was a minor craze in the 60s and 70s to write "biographies" of fictional characters as though they were real people. Tarzan Alive! is the most famous but it was inspired by Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street in 1962 by William S. Baring-Gould.

(He subsequently wrote a Nero Wolfe of West 35th Street which I believe went a long way towards popularising the fan theory that Nero Wolfe is Holmes's son by Irene Adler, largely on the basis that the vowels in Sherlock Holmes and Nero Wolfe are in the same order - seriously.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

corn in the bible posted:

I used to have this massive two-volume annotated Sherlock where the annotations were all, like, trying to establish what day things happened on and what kind of snake the speckled band really was and a bunch of other insane poo poo. it was incredible and I wish I still had it.

They determined the speckled band was ACTUALLY a hybrid lizard with no legs, that's definitely what ACD had in mind when he wrote the story

Did you get rid if it in the Boston area? Because I may have your old copy.

Hauling that monstrosity back to DC was fun.

Mostly I was just glad to have the stories and novels in the same collection, finally.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I do think it's funny that Elementary was very clearly an attempt to ape the success of Sherlock, yet because it's far less ambitious it has ironically ended up a better adaptation

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
This set, right? I've included the 70s US version of the "Talons" novelization for scale and... well, just because, really.

(And no, I don't think I actually have your old copy. There is, apparently, a newer, smaller edition out now.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still say that the second episode of the last season of Sherlock (The Lying Detective) is up there with the best episodes the show ever did, but holy gently caress that final episode was so bad it was almost surreal.

Then again, maybe I'm just a sucker for anything with Toby Jones as a villain, see: Amy's Choice :swoon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/charlespulliam/status/1041869103236108294

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1041824373496315904

Well that's lovely

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 18, 2018

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Two weeks is plenty of time to rewatch the entirety (or at least the top five or so from every Series) of NuWho, right?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Doctor Who psychedelic rock tie-in album is looking good

e. Seriously, that's gorgeous, and, as with everything else, looks completely unlike anything the revival's done so far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The level of hype I am experiencing can't be good for me :stare:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I am so there with you. I'm worried that I'm going to be disappointed even if it's wonderful I'm so hyped.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm not unusually hyped. I mean, it's still Doctor Who.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

Consider that weekend also has Khabib-McGregor. That's some acute hype. With that much hype, you might need to see a Doctor! :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

With that much hype, you might need to see a Doctor! :haw:

Christopher Eccleston is going to kiss me? :blush:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Missy box set announced by Big Fin

Featuring Rufus Hound's Monk

!!!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

“Who” Showrunner Demanded A Female Doctor

Matt Strevens posted:

“We knew in our gut it was about time and it felt like the right decision, and the character is not gender-specific, in any way really. If ever there was a character that was never defined by gender, it’s the Doctor. The Doctor is gender fluid in that sense. Once Peter [Capaldi] had decided he was leaving, the next Doctor was always going to be a female Doctor. That’s what Chris wanted, that was part of his conditions of doing the job.”

Interesting, and it makes sense, but I imagine some people will react poorly to the quote.

(On that note, don't read the comments on that article.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I remember when Chibnall had mentioned that he was looking specifically for a female Doctor, idiots were talking about suing the BBC for discrimination because they didn't consider any male actors

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Davros1 posted:

I remember when Chibnall had mentioned that he was looking specifically for a female Doctor, idiots were talking about suing the BBC for discrimination because they didn't consider any male actors

Paul McGann as the Thirteenth Doctor, but he's wearing a dress

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vinylshadow posted:

And heels.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/dwpageofficial/status/1042182721861287936

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vinylshadow posted:

Peter Capaldi, except in character as Vera from Prime Suspect 3.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I hope we get another trailer soon, because I can’t think of a good subtitle quote for the next thread.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Edward Mass posted:

I hope we get another trailer soon, because I can’t think of a good subtitle quote for the next thread.

"Oops."

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

And heels.

Stomping around yelling "these shoes!" seems like a quick way to snap a heel off

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

What about "Doctor Who Season 10: All of this is new to me" ?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Stomping around yelling "these shoes!" seems like a quick way to snap a heel off

I always forget that Pertwee is the incarnation with experience in ladies clothes.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Doctor Who premieres on the 7th.

I'm getting married on the 6th.

I think that's going to be a good weekend.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Rhyno posted:

I always forget that Pertwee is the incarnation with experience in ladies clothes.

There's great bit in Pertwee's autobiography:

quote:

My back had been getting steadily worse, and when we came to do Planet of the Spiders, I was in such agony that I would do anything to ease it, and someone had suggested keeping my spine rigid by wearing a surgical corset.

That seemed like a good idea and so I ordered one to be especially made. It certainly eased the pain whilst on one occasion earning me an unfortunate reputation. We were at an Army camp – Marchant Barracks in Devizes – for part of the location filming, and I had been allocated one of the huts to use as a dressing room. It has been pouring with rain, so after only two shots, I had to get out of my wet clothes and have my lank hair put in heated rollers. So, there I was sitting in this hut, wearing nothing but a pair of long johns and the whale-bone corset, with my hair all in curlers, when suddenly the door banged open and in walked the sergeant major.

He took one look at me sitting there, turned purple, turned on his heel and bellowed to the men behind him, ‘I don’t believe it. Doctor Who’s a poofter!’

He never looked at me in the eye again for our entire stay.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Edward Mass posted:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2018/09/new-trailer-released.html

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know there's a reduced episode order this season, but they seem to have put three episodes' worth of budget into making the remaining ones - at least from what we've seen - look very good indeed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And just in time, there’s a new trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCt6f1Ttmy4

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

Having Jodie in the "Don't forget to subscribe!" box made it all manifest for me. Until now it was still abstract and hypothetical :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God that looks good. I feel like visually the jump to Season 11 is gonna feel as visually distinct as the jump to season 5 was.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Amazing. Can't wait.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Only if the Doctor punches an old lady in the Tube and it turns out they were a Zygon.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The_Doctor posted:

Did she say “Let’s get poo poo done?”

That would be a pretty lame catchphrase.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did they change the TARDIS sounds???

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Doctor Zero posted:

Did she say “Let’s get poo poo done?”

That would be a pretty lame catchphrase.

It sounds more like, "Let's get a shift on." Which...doesn't sound like familiar slang to me, but who knows what you crazy English people say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
It's "Let's get poo poo on". It's her kink now, kinks are cool.

• Locked thread