Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

OmanyteJackson posted:

It wasn't always like this is my point. To put things in perspective, my dad's generation was the first one to have a television growing up, before that it's mostly books written by veterans of world war 1. Adults in their 40's are the first generation to be mass marketed to following the removal of advertising restrictions to children's television. Before our modern era of children's entertainment stories for children use to be very different. Just look at the original stories disney movies where based on, those stories served a role in the cultures that told them. What role do disney movies serve? What does it mean that they produce so much of the popular entertainment media today?

Ehh I wouldn't call the Patriotic Imperialism nonsense of Biggles or the racism of the popular childrens bedtime story series of Little Black Sambo to be an improvement over warmed over "don't judge a book by its cover" Disney Direct to video sequels :shrug:

I mean for centuries most childrens stories for girls were just propaganda to trick them into becoming obedient and dutiful wives. At least now we have Frozen. And Star Wars :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

China as a place "over there in the east" has been a known part of Middle Eastern culture since at least the Persian empire, and given its use in Aladdin is just "a far away place" I don't see any reason she couldn't have known about it within the narrative. However it doesn't have any of the cliffhangers, abuse of power by authorities and/or magical beings, or any of the other elements that character the other stories.

Yeah I was wondering of how much the place was known at the time to several strata of persian society. I stand corrected then!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, part of what made Persia so mighty was that it was a major hub on the trans-Asian trade routes. They’d know about China - it’s the place that made them rich.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Harry Potter is about a fascist cult obsessed with racial purity taking over, due partly to institutional failure.

There are worse analogies to be made.

You know what would be a better analogy to make, though? To literally any number of actual existing past and present fascist movements in other countries. Since these are things that actually happened in the past, rather than being the fictional output of this one person from the UK, there are actual lessons to be extracted.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Also those historical comparisons have the benefit of not drawing from a book where the entire banking class is comprised of greedy, hook nosed goblins, which if you're trying to be anti-Nazi, helps

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
gently caress JK Rowling, middle class gobshite.

Edit: Dragonball Z was a better treatise against fascism than Harry loving Potter, fight me

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 20, 2018

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

diane duane has the better young adult wizard series

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Edit: Dragonball Z was a better treatise against fascism than Harry loving Potter, fight me

"Ok, Donald, we saw where losing your cool got you, so tone down the Benito, and crush this..."

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

goku is a centrist smoothbrain, he always gives his enemies senzu beans to make things "fair"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AriadneThread posted:

diane duane has the better young adult wizard series

Janusz Korczak's Kaytek the Wizard was a way better coming of age through wizardry story, but alas, it only came out in English in 2012.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

goku is a centrist smoothbrain, he always gives his enemies senzu beans to make things "fair"

Where on the scale do Future Trunks and Hercule "Hail" Satan fall?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

President Goku would save this country.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He'd legalize weed at least.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

Yes. But he understood that when you meet Space Hitler you punch Space Hitler. Each of the Dragonball sagas depict classical enemies of the Proletariat. Greedy Landlords and aristocracy with the Saiyans, Fascism with Freeza, automation with the Androids, Eugenics with Cell and mysticism with Buu. Goku is liberalism, all too willing to court the enemies of the proletariat for personal gain and with deep ties to the capitalist class. Ultimately a running theme throughout Dragon Ball is that although he has brought progress if the world wishes to be safe, Goku, aka liberalism, has to go.

Whomst among us has not looked at Trump, with his puffy pink skin, rotund figure, obsession with treats and seeming imperviousness to damage and not thought of Majin Buu?

Or it could just be a kids cartoon where people shout a lot and do push ups. Still better than "Oh this wizard has no nose and kills people and wears black".

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Goku/Mr. Popo 2020

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I think that people using Disney or Harry Potter as their go to for metaphors is less the fault of Disney or Harry Potter and more the fault of people not leaving their comfort zone of wish fulfillment fiction. It's not like other types of fiction DON'T exist; it's not even that other types of fiction aren't popular (albeit, they're not explosively popular). You're just always going to find certain groups of people who, for whatever reason, would rather stick around in the shallow end for now.

Libluini posted:

If I read this right, this guest was a victim of rape and should be contacted by the authorities so the pedophiles who did this to him can be captured. I'm sure Argon of Sakkad did the right thing and immediately went to the police, right?

Aw, poo poo, I misread the tweet originally and thought Carlgon was the one who'd been abused as a child. Jesus. What a gently caress.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

business hammocks posted:

President Goku would save this country.

Goku measures the amount he cares about something in hot gay fucks. I think that's the progress we need in America.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Goku measures the amount he cares about something in hot gay fucks. I think that's the progress we need in America.

Please don’t make me find the relevant fan art for that version of President Goku.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Gonzo McFee posted:

gently caress JK Rowling, middle class gobshite.

I don't know. What's your power level?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Please don’t make me find the relevant fan art for that version of President Goku.
I mean my vote is still for President Camacho from Idiocracy, because that film was accidentally inspirational despite being eugenicist propaganda.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I mean my vote is still for President Camacho from Idiocracy, because that film was accidentally inspirational despite being eugenicist propaganda.

yeah Mike Judge is one of those guys where I'm pretty sure I know his politics but I kinda don't want to like know his politics

idiocracy is a horror show and the degree to which older right wingers like my parents roll their eyes at something and go, "idiocracy am i rite" stuns me

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
But in that movie, the stupid people news is fox news

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Which meant the movie had a slightly broader appeal on getting folk on the eugenics train.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Idiocracy is weird because it combines the semieugenicist fantasy of "dumb people" being the problem with society and the (affluent white) liberal fantasy of "smart people" being educated white liberals (probably the kind who'd say they're "socially liberal" and clam up when economics enter the picture) and "dumb people" being people who like popular mass media, so its dystopian society where the people who like the dang Kardashians and monster trucks are the whole of society takes on a racist/classist bent. Add to this its attempts to critique capitalism, where the Carl's Jr. kiosk has the power to take away your kids but the capitalist class as a social force is basically not present, and you've got an incoherent mess of a movie where the main takeaway is that drat, we live in a society.

It's the "I like everything but country and rap" of dystopian fiction

I Before E fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 20, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mike Judge is someone who was completely harmless and amusing 20 years ago and hasn't changed a bit and probably knows nothing about changes to the culture between then and now. It's not really his fault that the world changed in a way that weaponized stuff that was basically harmless or unremarkable when he was younger, though if he's not paying attention now that is on him.

I kind of see him as in the same boat as Ernest Cline, insofar as he's from the tail end of a generation too old to ever have had to respond to or have his assumptions challenged by all the internet nazi culture war stuff. There was a time when you could just kind of be oblivious and drift, and maybe if you were challenged you'd go chud, but you weren't so you didn't.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I Before E posted:

Idiocracy is weird because it combines the semieugenicist fantasy of "dumb people" being the problem with society and the (affluent white) liberal fantasy of "smart people" being educated white liberals (probably the kind who'd say they're "socially liberal" and clam up when economics enter the picture) and "dumb people" being people who like popular mass media, so its dystopian society where the people who like the dang Kardashians and monster trucks are the whole of society takes on a racist/classist bent. Add to this its attempts to critique capitalism, where the Carl's Jr. kiosk has the power to take away your kids but the capitalist class as a social force is basically not present, and you've got an incoherent mess of a movie where the main takeaway is that drat, we live in a society.

It's the "I like everything but country and rap" of dystopian fiction
Pretty drat utopian ain't it?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mike Judge is someone who was completely harmless and amusing 20 years ago and hasn't changed a bit and probably knows nothing about changes to the culture between then and now. It's not really his fault that the world changed in a way that weaponized stuff that was basically harmless or unremarkable when he was younger, though if he's not paying attention now that is on him.

I kind of see him as in the same boat as Ernest Cline, insofar as he's from the tail end of a generation too old to ever have had to respond to or have his assumptions challenged by all the internet nazi culture war stuff. There was a time when you could just kind of be oblivious and drift, and maybe if you were challenged you'd go chud, but you weren't so you didn't.

yeah, like, i hate ernest cline, but i don't think he is evil or some secret reactionary, which i have seen a few people act like he is. he is just a moron manchild with super arrested development and he uses reference/nerd culture as a replacement for a having personality traits. like yeah, his book is problematic and awful in a ton of ways, but he isn't an alt right nutjob.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pretty drat utopian ain't it?

What I mean is they don't figure into the ideology of the movie at all, this dichotomy between smart upper middle class mostly white people and dumb poor mostly white people, presented as gentrifiers with seven cats contrasted with a high school quarterback loving bareback in a Chevy, completely ignores anyone who makes above 300k or so a year, so you've got this Dilbert world where the only boss you ever see is your own manager, and these Costcos, Carl's Juniors, and Buttfuckers are just entities that exist because they exist because they exist.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 20, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It was a joke. The actual utopian part is government officials sincerely wanting to make the world a better place even if they're too stupid to do so on their own.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

It was a joke. The actual utopian part is government officials sincerely wanting to make the world a better place even if they're too stupid to do so on their own.

Ah, I thought you were pointing out some unclear phrasing

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

oh no doubt

it's honestly incredible though that all this time later, office space still resonates incredibly hard

like this scene only needs a slightly relaxed dress code and maybe a bullshit open concept to be a modern mid-tier white collar office today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEGdCDQrgX4

its biggest flaw is that it can't conceive of a reality without capitalism, kinda like I Before E is talking about with idiocracy

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I like the part where Jeremy Parish just slowly realized he'd be covering EVERY SINGLE NINTENDO GAME until he was like 70 years old as hinted on a few of his Nintendo Gaiden videos and is just now shoving mutliple crummy ones in one video and devoting single game videos to more notable releases. Still, it got us stuff like him trying to stretch a Chessmaster video, this Fish Dude video and this PaperBoy 2 video.

Ever had a bootleg mutligame GB cart? Time for a trip on memory lane on a good part of these vids.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Brutal Moose has a new Brutal Foods video, covering a Japanese candy hamburger kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLbogEK-gOQ

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Doug Walker in the wild. Also crazy film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ-QjEKjGjg

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bessantj posted:

Doug Walker in the wild. Also crazy film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ-QjEKjGjg

Brad reminding me why I stopped watching his stuff in 0.2 seconds. Nice :discourse:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Brad reminding me why I stopped watching his stuff in 0.2 seconds. Nice :discourse:

:emptyquote:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

OmanyteJackson posted:

Harry Potter/Doctor Who/Sherlock fans are just weebs but for England.

Teaboos.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Never Adore Perfidious Albion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

Brutal Moose has a new Brutal Foods video, covering a Japanese candy hamburger kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLbogEK-gOQ

Also I just finished watching this, seeing the completed kit is just adorable. The most adorable burger.