Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

You also can’t cancel the free trial from the app itself and it struggles to stream even remasters of old ps2 games

yeah all the streaming games have a big noticeable amount of input lag and will just shut off sometimes, awesome BC lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

extremebuff posted:

yeah all the streaming games have a big noticeable amount of input lag and will just shut off sometimes, awesome BC lol

Thank You Sony

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Ohh I understand now, it's a news story cos you can download the games now to cut out the input lag, on your premium streaming service. Why tf wouldn't you just buy the games at this point

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I tried to play the first God of War on it but couldn’t get past the hydra opener because I’d press the block button and five seconds later Kratos would just sprint into the ship wall. Got the PS2 out and played it on that instead. Service working as intended

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I tried playing a Mega Man game and Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 on PS Now during the free trial and they were both unplayable with all the lag. Trying to stream a game over PSN’s connection works about as well as you’d think

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I guess I just don't understand the purpose of it on a fundamental level. Unless they're adding old games that you can't already buy what the heck is the point

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ya that’s it, they’re all available on PS4 via PSNOW even if they’re not available to buy on PS4s PSN store because you’re streaming from a VM that can play them. Not sure how the downloading works if they’re saying it’s available for most games on the service

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the whole reason they did it is because the PS4 CANNOT run ps3 games since they were programmed for the ps3's weird custom hardware (and the ps4 doesnt have a ps2 inside it either), so you're connecting to a virtual stream of a ps3 somewhere

for ps2, they must be slowly rolling out ps2 games that have been modded to run on the quad, but its impossible to just download ps3 games completely and have them work on the 4 so youll still need to rebuy those at full price when sony decides to remaster them or deal with the lag lol

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

In Training posted:

It's the Xbox Game Pass but for Sony that nobody uses bc they don't include new releases like Microsoft does

it was also until today accomplished by streaming the game to your device via sony servers so if you werent on a wired to the wall connection it ran like complete rear end

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I guess I just don't understand the purpose of it on a fundamental level. Unless they're adding old games that you can't already buy what the heck is the point

it lets them still charge people to rebuy classics on ps4 while getting to put "Over 400 Old Games!" or whatever on the box

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

being able to just download the game is the right move they needed to make for sure

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

If they added like hundreds of PS2 games I'd consider it but they kinda just stopped doing those upscaled rereleases. I would've bought drat near every one of those games for 15 bucks, hell I almost did that already. Still have Dark Cloud 2 installed from 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

If they added like hundreds of PS2 games I'd consider it but they kinda just stopped doing those upscaled rereleases. I would've bought drat near every one of those games for 15 bucks, hell I almost did that already. Still have Dark Cloud 2 installed from 2016

Same here, I don't understand why they dropped off-- I'm hoping the PSNow changes mean they're gonna expand the offerings , I can't imagine it's that resource intensive to pump out more of those games. Nocturne please

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Earlier that year I was looking for a cheap copy of Rogue Galaxy, which at the time was selling for like 80 bucks. I got my PS4 and like a week later they released it for 15 bucks and I was so excited for the future. :reject:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

Same here, I don't understand why they dropped off-- I'm hoping the PSNow changes mean they're gonna expand the offerings , I can't imagine it's that resource intensive to pump out more of those games. Nocturne please

They gave a interview at E3 2016 that says nobody on PS4 ever bought any of those so they just stopped like 3 weeks after announcing the feature. This was also when they said something like Old games are worthless to care about when God of War and SpideMan are on the horizon

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

That's a good point, I forgot I can play Uncharted: Lost Legacy instead of SMT: Nocturne. Thank you Sony

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I'm glad I have my ps2 still I can hook up and play

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I still don't have a clue what PS Now is other than something I'll never pay for

I installed psnow on my pc because its the easiest way to get drivers for a ps3 controller on a PC but idk what it does and now i have a working ds4 again so hell maybe i should uninstall :pt:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

In Training posted:

They gave a interview at E3 2016 that says nobody on PS4 ever bought any of those so they just stopped like 3 weeks after announcing the feature. This was also when they said something like Old games are worthless to care about when God of War and SpideMan are on the horizon

Nobody bought Destroy All Humans for $20 time to pack it in boys

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also the one game I ever played on PS2 on PS4 emulated worse than just playing it on my computer which was annoying as hell.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Convinced my ma to buy Fellowship of the Ring on DVD because the PS2 could play it. Still only got to watch it on a crap old tv until we got a DVD player a year later because she didn’t trust the “games machine” not to break the good tv

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Earlier that year I was looking for a cheap copy of Rogue Galaxy, which at the time was selling for like 80 bucks. I got my PS4 and like a week later they released it for 15 bucks and I was so excited for the future. :reject:

Why did they stop making those? It pisses me off.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
The first dvd I ever got was the fellowship of the ring in fullscreen :gonk:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

The first dvd I ever got was the fellowship of the ring in fullscreen :gonk:

It's better in full screen, no BS black bars cutting off the image.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

You can just have your TV stretch it for the optimal videophile experience.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

This

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finally watched some footage of Spider-Man and it's worse than i thought it was. He literally narrates every solution to every action constantly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's worse than this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZw2lMSyUfU but for 25 hours instead of once in a 3 hour sub-Story.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I mean spidermans schtick is that hes a chatterbox

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I don't think I'll finish it anytime soon, all the good poo poo seems really frontloaded and while the combat is ok it needs to either be deeper and more precise to stand on its own, or have more progression (both with you learning new abilities and with new enemy varieties being introduced) to stay compelling and I'm like 2/3rds of the way through the story and that's basically stopped happening. The Arkham games did a better job of spreading that stuff out through the entire game, but I still have a bunch of story stuff to do and I've unlocked basically every interesting move and upgrade and the games complexity seems like it plateaus somewhere around the halfway mark

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
they shoulda ditched the entire skill tree system and just gave you all that poo poo from the start cuz the combat is incredible bland without them all and theyre forced to assume you may have none of it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The web swinging is really fun but the rest of the game is made for babies

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

elf help book posted:

they shoulda ditched the entire skill tree system and just gave you all that poo poo from the start cuz the combat is incredible bland without them all and theyre forced to assume you may have none of it

this comment could apply to a lot of modern games

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Games should always have the dodge and parry moves as standard not a purchasable upgrade or w/e

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

people. love building towards something so poo poo like a skill tree is easy to make the player feel accomplished and want to continue playing the game. furthermore

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

Games should always have the dodge and parry moves as standard not a purchasable upgrade or w/e

I never understood this and even good games like Bayonetta make you buy dirt cheap defense moves that you’re obviously supposed to buy immediately after the tutorial level. Why add that extra step?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the way platinum games do it i always assumed was just store tutorialization like phone games giving you a single coin and forcing you to buy the single coin object before continuing, mixed with a bit of optional challenge of deciding to forego them altogether (which i dont think anyone actually does)

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I played a bit of Revengance without the dodge but yea it's mostly tutorial.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In Training posted:

I finally watched some footage of Spider-Man and it's worse than i thought it was. He literally narrates every solution to every action constantly.

It’s extremely retarded in this regard, and honestly in others, and it’s not a very good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I really soured on it as it went on which is a bummer because it starts strong, it just doesn't go anywhere