Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

I will say that sometimes I can see why people dislike the timing for dodges when gunmen and rocket guys are aggressive and the lines of fire start at different times; a normal dodge won't always clear it all so that's when it's best to jump and do a zip or a dodge while airborne instead. And yeah the big guy attacks take practice to dodge as I actually got wrecked by them early in the game, though they get easier to approach when you get the ability to swing them around.

I feel like the key, in most cases, is to not let yourself get distracted by what you see the enemies doing, and to instead focus almost entirely on the Spider-sense. My mindset during fights basically consists of classifying what the type of enemy is (so I know what type of attack to use) and watching the Spider-sense (and in the case of Sable troops, watching for those dropping binding thingies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Doc M posted:

Mine was "don't get hit" :smug:

Honestly, I'm far from great at this game and get hit all the time in the random open world fights, but somehow I breezed through the bases and only got hit a couple of times in each. I loved how the enemy chatter in those went from professional mercs to "WE NEED MORE MEN :stonk:" and stuff like that as I pummeled and webbed my way through them. Really satisfying, and the whole thing looked pretty cool as well.
I got the 65-combo achievement when I was in the middle of fighting, realized I was up to 55 or so, and suddenly became super invested in not getting hit in the next few seconds. I might have used the upgrade that lets you take one hit without resetting the combo, but I don't remember if I had it at that point. Even so, something about the combat really clicked once I got into the hang of it. You pretty much always have to be on your toes, especially with Sable, but when you're in the groove it feels superhero-y as hell.

Ytlaya posted:

I think that many people might become impatient with Spider-sense dodging; it pays off to patiently wait for it to turn blue every time it appears (especially once you get stuff like the "insta-kill gun enemies if you perfect dodge them" skill).
The upgrade that slows time on a perfect dodge is pretty dope as well. It also really helps with returning rockets to sender, which is always fun.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 20, 2018

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The other downside to finishers is if you're using them a lot they'll absolutely kill your combo score.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

realizing that ability lets me get two finishers for the price of one changed my life

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ThermoPhysical posted:

No I mean he wants to do the story and THEN the story-based challenges, but isn't sure if they'll disappear after the story is over.
Anything story-based has to be done to advance the story, but I think either he or you is using a wrong terminology because "story-based challenges" doesn't sound right to me. There's a single story path where each mission unlocks the next one. Everything else is optional and will stick around in the postgame. Nothing's missable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think what he's asking about is if the side missions that only get unlocked after you do a certain amount of story missions are still available after finishing the main story.

I don't know the answer because I beat them all before finishing the main story, but I would guess they are just because the way the game is set up they seem to try pretty hard to not lock you out of anything and the side missions are structured in a way that they still make sense to do after the main quest.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

We really don't need to spoil that Otto Octavius is Doctor Octopus

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Guy named Otto Octavius winds up with eight limbs - what're the odds?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'd say eight outta eight

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I just finished Act II and I have to say that this game is pretty good in spite of Spider-Man having the lamest villains and the mind boggling decision to make the big bad guy a bald fatso with stupid glasses.

Hopefully Spider-Man 2 has Kraven and Venom.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

fadam posted:

I just finished Act II and I have to say that this game is pretty good in spite of Spider-Man having the lamest villains

You take that back. Shocker is my spirit animal. :colbert:

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The big guys have some kind of attack that allows you to dodge the first hit but the second hit always connects before the first dodge ends.

Is there a lock-on button I missed them telling me about? I'm getting tired of trying to find something to throw at the big guys and end up having it hit another mook instead.

Why aren't you just webbing them up?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Everyone knows Firestorm has the lamest villains. It's why they all got killed in the '80s run of Suicide Squad.

The only appropriate opposition for a dude who can transmute matter on a molecular level is, of course, a dude who's really good at knots.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fadam posted:

I just finished Act II and I have to say that this game is pretty good in spite of Spider-Man having the lamest villains and the mind boggling decision to make the big bad guy a bald fatso with stupid glasses.

Hopefully Spider-Man 2 has Kraven and Venom.

No where near as lame as Superman villain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfu-LQbVmhg

Rirse fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 20, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The point of Doc Ock was pretty much always that he was a pasty schlub that made himself super strong robo-arms so people wouldn't push him around anymore.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DLC Inc posted:

We really don't need to spoil that Otto Octavius is Doctor Octopus

imo it's worth spoiling that he goes full doc ock in this game. at first I was under the impression that he was sequel setup like Norman

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I also think Spiderman's villians, are a little....lame. Doc Ock is cool, but here I feel if you don't have a familiarity with Spider-stuff, you only barely get the cliffnotes of what they're about and what they do based off the bios and audio logs.

but also you can just pause and go read a wiki article for five minutes so eh

Like I stopped the fight with Scorpion and then proceeded to read about him for like ten minutes cause I had no idea why this man did or said any of things he did or said other than he's an evil man with an animal motif

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 20, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You're working with Dr Octavius on prosthetic limbs within the first hour of the game, congrats to anyone who avoided any spoilers but if what happens later is a surprise to anyone they should probably get checked for head injuries.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's like Harvey Dent in Dark Knight - you know full well what's going to happen the moment he steps on screen, the only question is how.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think the fact that they specifically avoided talking about Otto in pre-release material and specifically got some reviews down because they said the words Doctor Octopus iirc makes it fair to use spoiler tags tbh

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Expect My Mom posted:

I think the fact that they specifically avoided talking about Otto in pre-release material and specifically got some reviews down because they said the words Doctor Octopus iirc makes it fair to use spoiler tags tbh

Yeah when they showed off the Sinister Six in the E3 trailer, you see all the ones from the Raft except one. I figured Shocker was part of the group since he was in the game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Rirse posted:

Yeah when they showed off the Sinister Six in the E3 trailer, you see all the ones from the Raft except one. I figured Shocker was part of the group since he was in the game.

Yeah it was framed differently if I remember, a silhouette pops up and Spidey goes YOU instead of one of the waldos popping from below frame to crush his hand and immediately giving his identity away

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Got my first ever PS4 platinum trophy :toot:

The last trophy I needed to get was the one where you need to pull two enemies together with the trip mine 10 times. It required a lot of trying to get into the best position and being punched by the enemy and just re-doing an old fisk hideout.

Here's the footage of the glorious moment I received the trophy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtA9TJUA4h8

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Funky Valentine posted:

It's like Harvey Dent in Dark Knight - you know full well what's going to happen the moment he steps on screen, the only question is how.

That's not always true, though. Fans might know the character's ultimate fate in the comics without it ever happening in an adaptation or without it happening right away. Dent didn't turn into Two-Face in the Burton films. Connors didn't become the Lizard in the Raimi films. And fans weren't convinced Gwen had to die in the Webb series. Same with the mystery of the Goblin identity in the Spectacular cartoon. Octavius is Dr. Octopus but maybe he was set up to become that only in a sequel.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lobok posted:

That's not always true, though.

Yeah, it's like Harvey Dent in Batman and Batman Returns, smooth as silk, and barely appearing.

Also, Gwen's death is bad, it was badly written, was a cheap echo to the death of Uncle Ben, and everything to do with it since has been bad except bringing her back to life in another universe.

Oh come on

Skwirl posted:

It's Octavious working on prosthetic limbs. If he didn't become Doctor Octopus by the end of the game people would be screaming about them being Ock teasers.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 21, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's Octavious working on prosthetic limbs. If he didn't become Doctor Octopus by the end of the game people would be screaming about them being cock teasers.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Did anyone else kinda root for Vulture and Shocker in their fight against Spiderman? I really got the feeling that they knew they were in an uphill battle against this guy who had already defeated them independently several times, and made an effort to combine their strengths and work together to defeat him.

My one gripe about this game is that it doesn't have any post-game story-related content until the DLC things. It kinda kills my desire to keep playing when there's nothing but a couple story-less bases and crime events left to do. Game needed more side quests along the lines of Tombstone's, and should have saved at least a couple for the end-game (and maybe made one really hard or something).

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
drat, I haven't actually finished a game in ages, but once everything hit the fan I just had to push through the missions to see how they played it out. That was a real gut punch at the end too :smith:

Now to finish off a couple sidequests and the all the bases that popped up I ignored.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Ytlaya posted:

Did anyone else kinda root for Vulture and Shocker in their fight against Spiderman? I really got the feeling that they knew they were in an uphill battle against this guy who had already defeated them independently several times, and made an effort to combine their strengths and work together to defeat him.

I sorta felt bad because everyone else sorta felt like they played a bigger part compared to the Vulture. Electro was the big chase in the Raft, Rhino had the sequence with Miles, Scorpion set off the weird drugged sequence, and Li and Octavius are obvious. Even Shocker got a dramatic chase and a boss fight he didn't have to share, Fisk was the first boss and constant presence in the first two Acts, Tombstone got a whole series of sidequests, Taskmaster has his challenges, Black Cat is getting DLC. Even Screwball got an interesting sidequest.

Vulture is just like this background member of the six. He gets to say like one line on the Raft before immediately getting webbed up, then he gets to grab Spider-man to bring him to the Electro/Vulture boss fight, but even that seems more Octavius's planning at work rather then his actual contributions. Just wish he got something extra to make him seem interesting and a bit more threatening then the Jetpack Sable agents.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I liked how happy Peter was when Shocker busted out the Rocky 4 reference.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

pichupal posted:

I sorta felt bad because everyone else sorta felt like they played a bigger part compared to the Vulture. Electro was the big chase in the Raft, Rhino had the sequence with Miles, Scorpion set off the weird drugged sequence, and Li and Octavius are obvious. Even Shocker got a dramatic chase and a boss fight he didn't have to share, Fisk was the first boss and constant presence in the first two Acts, Tombstone got a whole series of sidequests, Taskmaster has his challenges, Black Cat is getting DLC. Even Screwball got an interesting sidequest.

Vulture is just like this background member of the six. He gets to say like one line on the Raft before immediately getting webbed up, then he gets to grab Spider-man to bring him to the Electro/Vulture boss fight, but even that seems more Octavius's planning at work rather then his actual contributions. Just wish he got something extra to make him seem interesting and a bit more threatening then the Jetpack Sable agents.

They just... they just wanna make grampa feel useful one last time

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Azubah posted:

I liked how happy Peter was when Shocker busted out the Rocky 4 reference.

That was Electro. Shocker is the guy who uses Shockwaves and has a really bad taste in names.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm at 100% everywhere and I'm missing two trophies, both hidden. I don't have my list to hand to cross-reference with; any usual suspects?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Fedule posted:

I'm at 100% everywhere and I'm missing two trophies, both hidden. I don't have my list to hand to cross-reference with; any usual suspects?
The last two I needed was to visit Uncle Ben's Grave and to Web 5 people together with the web-trap mine thing

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Calaveron posted:

They just... they just wanna make grampa feel useful one last time

You'd probably need a whole little Homecoming-esque arc to make Vulture more than 'old guy in bird suit who hasn't been to the movies since they became talkies.'

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Harlock posted:

The last two I needed was to visit Uncle Ben's Grave and to Web 5 people together with the web-trap mine thing

Same here!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Those are definitely two things I haven't done.

I never bothered with the Trip Mines apart from a couple of very specific optional objectives, and I didn't even know you could tie enemies together with it (though maybe there was a tutorial which I immediately forgot because frankly there are a lot of forgettable things in this amazing game).

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ytlaya posted:

My one gripe about this game is that it doesn't have any post-game story-related content until the DLC things. It kinda kills my desire to keep playing when there's nothing but a couple story-less bases and crime events left to do. Game needed more side quests along the lines of Tombstone's, and should have saved at least a couple for the end-game (and maybe made one really hard or something).
Yeah I loved those guys. They seemed like genuinely excited to be working together.

pichupal posted:

He was the only villain I knew here because I've like only seen Homecoming and hes just like, not even a character

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Fedule posted:

Those are definitely two things I haven't done.

I never bothered with the Trip Mines apart from a couple of very specific optional objectives, and I didn't even know you could tie enemies together with it (though maybe there was a tutorial which I immediately forgot because frankly there are a lot of forgettable things in this amazing game).

Trip mines are loving awesome actually! The tutorial just makes it look like a stealth thing, which is great and all, but they're really good in combat too. You can just hit a flying guy with a mine and they'll get taken out in seconds. Webbing guys together is great too. Just launch them the next time you're in a melee and watch what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah I loved those guys. They seemed like genuinely excited to be working together.

He was the only villain I knew here because I've like only seen Homecoming and hes just like, not even a character

you never saw spider-man 2?