Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

avshalemon posted:

i'm going to rape a burly swordsman

donovan..........?

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

at the time, do you think even GRRM realized that these words would be the close of his series?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Marijuana posted:

at the time, do you think even GRRM realized that these words would be the close of his series?

I think that he had planned it from the beginning.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
I found the last sentence in some dead old fortune teller’s estate sale. The notes say that gurm wrote this first and everything else leads to it:

“Dany, now a dragon larger than any that came before, didn’t intend to take the giant molten poo poo on the cheering crowd below her. She merely meant to fart on them.”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
A Shart of Ice and Fire

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Is this poo poo out yet or what

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

various cheeses posted:

Keep pushing

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

various cheeses posted:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
BUSTED FLUSH

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
INSIDE STRAIGHT

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

But enough about Dany already...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

haha is wild cards really gonna be a tv show? cant wait to see how many disappointed GoT fans there will be

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

haha is wild cards really gonna be a tv show? cant wait to see how many disappointed GoT fans there will be

Can’t wait to not even know it even aired anywhere and then read on io9 or r/televison that it’s been canceled.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

banned from Starbucks posted:

Some people still claim to like beauty and the beast though

People i avoid ofc

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's a good movie though, Cocteau rules

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Wild cards is gonna be straight to Crackle.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Who buys Wild Cards? Like, demographically speaking. It really feels like a series aimed at 60 y/o comic dorks, there can't be a young audience salivating for the newest adventure of Dr. Pedocest, right?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I vaguely remember there was a guy in this thread who bought it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

sad if true

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elias_Maluco posted:

I vaguely remember there was a guy in this thread who bought it

I liked them when I was like 15. And I think the wildcard thread is brilliant. Not sure if I'm the one you are thinking of. But here, read yourself some wildcards: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501532

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

For some reason I thought GRRM wrote "Beastly", a really really awful Beauty and the Beast-inspired movie from 2011. No, instead he wrote a slightly less bad TV version.

Also I read one Wildcards book. It was fine. Tried to be all politically relevant by having them fighting a Caliphate or something.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, he wrote for the Linda Hamilton/Ron Perlman series

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasn't that the show where Beast was a private detective living in a modern New York City or something? And he'd like solve crimes from the sewers.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

yah on CW with Kristin Kreuk, I think it was just called Beast?

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was a slight noise from the direction of the dim corner where the ladder was. It was the king descending. I could see that he was bearing something in one arm, and assisting himself with the other. He came forward into the light; upon his breast lay a slender girl of fifteen. She was but half conscious; she was dying of smallpox. Here was heroism at its last and loftiest possibility, its utmost summit; this was challenging death in the open field unarmed, with all the odds against the challenger, no reward set upon the contest, and no admiring world in silks and cloth of gold to gaze and applaud; and yet the king’s bearing was as serenely brave as it had always been in those cheaper contests where knight meets knight in equal fight and clothed in protecting steel. He was great now; sublimely great. The rude statues of his ancestors in his palace should have an addition—I would see to that; and it would not be a mailed king killing a giant or a dragon, like the rest, it would be a king in commoner’s garb bearing death in his arms that a peasant mother might look her last upon her child and be comforted.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wasn't that the show where Beast was a private detective living in a modern New York City or something? And he'd like solve crimes from the sewers.

So he wrote wildcards plots basically?

Ccs posted:

For some reason I thought GRRM wrote "Beastly", a really really awful Beauty and the Beast-inspired movie from 2011. No, instead he wrote a slightly less bad TV version.

Also I read one Wildcards book. It was fine. Tried to be all politically relevant by having them fighting a Caliphate or something.

If you weren't reading this one, you weren't reading WildCards...

quote:

Finally, Blaise made his move against Dr. Tachyon. Lured to a romantic rendezvous by a jumper in Cody's body, Tachyon was subdued with a combination of chloroform and Blaise's mind control. Overcoming Tachyon's psychic defenses, Blaise employed his new power to perform a bizarre triple-jump. Tachyon found himself trapped in the body of Kelly Jenkins, a sixteen year old girl, and vice versa. Cheered on by his drunken cronies, Blaise violently beat and raped the now female Tachyon, keeping her on Ellis Island as his prisoner and virtual slave for several months. Bloat, ostensible governor of the Rox and one of Tachyon's few joker supporters, demanded the alien be returned to his rightful body and released. Blaise responded by sending him Polaroid photos of Tachyon/Kelly's violation.

Subjecting his grandfather to further mental, physical, and sexual assaults, Blaise unwittingly impregnated Kelly's body, making Tachyon mother-to-be of his own great-granddaughter. Tachyon's embarassing predicament greatly amused Blaise and the jokers who resented the alien scientist as the author of their misery. Imprisoned in a lightless basement cell, half-starved, and carrying his baby, Tachyon finally surrendered to Blaise and called him master. In short order, Blaise had the former womanizer fed, bathed, given maternity clothing, and moved to quarters where he could better observe the progress of her unnatural pregnancy. The victory over his long-hated grandfather seemingly complete, Blaise vowed that once Tachyon gave birth he would impregnate "her" again and again.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

That sure is some smut

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It sure is something

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

He only edits Wild Cards but wow his magic touch really came out in that. Who else could think of raping your grandpa trapped in a 16 year old girls body?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Writing, like any artistic endeavor, should make you uncomfortable as you jack off and if that story makes you uncomfortable, then I would judge it a success.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
GRRMs creepy fetishes are legion.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Blind Sally posted:

GRRMs creepy fetishes are legion.

boiled nipples on a nuncle's tummy

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeesh, that is something. The Wild Cards book I read just struck me as sorta like the Marvel comic Runaways but with some a bigger and more political final battle. I think it was Inside Straight.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dentist toy box posted:

He only edits Wild Cards but wow his magic touch really came out in that. Who else could think of raping your grandpa trapped in a 16 year old girls body?

almost certainly heinlein

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ccs posted:

Yeesh, that is something. The Wild Cards book I read just struck me as sorta like the Marvel comic Runaways but with some a bigger and more political final battle. I think it was Inside Straight.

I was never into comics as a kid - I knew nothing about Wolverine and Xmen and all that poo poo. So to me - the Aces, Jokers, and the social / political rewriting of American history was really novel and exciting. And enough B movie level smut to keep my teen interest.

I literally thought that the Xmen were stealing themes from WildCards the first time I was exposed to Marvel and Xmen and all that crap. Oh god, and now that I think of it - the first time I saw Apocalypse Now - I was drunk/high and watching PBS or something and it came on for some reason. I thought "Jesus this movie is like a B movie rip off of Platoon. The main character even LOOKS like Charlie Sheen". There is some important point here about exposing people to "the classics" but I'm not quite sure what it is.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

syscall girl posted:

almost certainly heinlein

Hahahha, fuckin :iceburn: on Heinlein, you hear that you dead old fascist?!?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 25, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
To those who have ever read one: Sell me on any given WILD CARDS book in 100 words or less, knowing that I will never actually read whatever you recommend to me.

Go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

To those who have ever read one: Sell me on any given WILD CARDS book in 100 words or less, knowing that I will never actually read whatever you recommend to me.

Go.

Just browse this page: http://www.wildcardsonline.com/characters-f.html

quote:

For his day job, he runs a high-class call girl, or 'geisha', service. Which is convenient, since the method he uses to recharge his powers is tantric sex and the forced retention of, er, certain bodily fluids, resulting in a bulging forehead when his battteries are fully charged. Jeez, what a life.