Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fake James posted:

Question, are those coupon mailers actually coupons or just ads showing what currently has big discounts? I threw mine out thinking it was just a monthly ad. Did I just miss out on savings from our lord?

A few years back those mailers used to be coupons and you had to bring the book in to get the deals. Every time I went to Costco it was just angry people who threw their coupon books away arguing at the register.

Dark times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

My local Costco just fooled me with their sham yogurt facade

UPDATE: Went to another Costco in another town, same yogurt trickeries :(

Those evil shareholders will stop at nothing.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Went with a good friend yesterday. We bonded over free samples of hummus and kimchi rice. We bought a bunch of booze and got many approving nods.

Also some Australian dude was like "yeah that jalapeno artichoke dip is loving dangerous mate" as I looked at the container.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

not sure how common they are outside of Houston (or Texas for that matter), but those frozen beef brisket street tacos are the poo poo

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Taima posted:

Yeah the pre-fried shallots are fine to use, but just FYI making your own fried shallots is a one way ticket to flavor town and makes a huge difference.

It's actually not that messy, nor does it require a ton of paper towels, but the technique itself is kind of difficult in my experience. The shallots themselves go from perfect to burnt in about two seconds, so you have to be right on top of it. Up to you whether that's worth it or not.

In terms of selecting tuna you have a few variables. '

Taima's Quick Guide to buying good Tuna at Costco:

1) tuna quality runs from best to worst, from the top of the steak to the bottom.

Good sushi places often won't use the worst 2 cuts in anything but something like spicy tuna rolls... which is another topic entirely but basically spicy tuna rolls contain chopped up tuna, usually in a spicy mayo type sauce, so the lower quality parts of the steak are always used.

2) Do not be seduced by the "packed on" date!

Don't get me wrong, freshly packed tuna is always preferable, but be aware that the pack date has no bearing on the age of the tuna, only when it hit the shelf. Sometimes a steak that has been packed for a day or 2, but is super awesome quality, is going to beat out another steak that was packed that morning.

3) Less white connective tissue is always better

The steak that I broke down in step one has a decent amount of connective tissues, which is normal and fine but sometimes you can find steaks like below where the connective tissues are almost invisible.

These steaks result in more usable fish, and an increase in quality for the lesser sections of the tuna. It's a big win. Sometimes almost an entire tuna steak can be Sushi/poke/sashimi grade (but pretty rare).

3) Check for parasites and more importantly, abscesses

Costco is extremely careful of parasites and you won't realistically have any problems, but give the steak a quick once over and make sure there's no funny business.

The thing you need to care about more is abscesses, which are basically like pockets of fish that have become soft and gross. A good way to check for tuna quality is to kind of push on a few parts of the steak (don't be a dick, be careful with it) and see if the flesh bounces back and seems healthy. Do an outer inspection and make sure the outer walls of the steak are in good health.

Steaks also accumulate a kind of viscous liquid on them as they age, so getting a steak, if you can, that doesn't have this liquid is a good idea. However you can wash the liquid off when you get home, and it's not that important, just a nice-to-have.

4) The COLOR doesn't matter!

Everyone in the world wants to believe that ruby red, vibrant tuna is the best tuna. After all of these years I have yet to see that in practice. It's nice to have for presentation reasons, but meat quality is basically the same (as long as it's the color isn't TOO off, which if you see a sickly looking color or whatever, of course you would avoid that).

This is getting long as hell so I'm just gonna stop, let me know if you have any specific questions.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
It says the color doesnt matter and that is does matter.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Lately, I’ve been considering getting a dash mount for my cell phone. In fact, I was thinking about that literally as I walked into Costco today. What was the first thing on sale right inside the entrance? Motherfuckin’ dash mounts for $15!!!

PBUC

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lady at the checkout hit me up with a deal to upgrade to Executive membership for only $15 until the end of the year. I figure since I'm going to be booking a trip soon and Costco executive has 2% cash back I might as well give it a shot.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Costco trip tomorrow. Prescriptions, handle of tanq, to. Maybe some meat for the smoker. drat I love living between two Costcos.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Asked a gal where she wanted to go for our third date.

She said Costco.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

She said Costco.

Put a Costco ring on it

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

She said Costco.

!!!

You should share a hot dog à la Lady and the Tramp!!!! :syoon:

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Lately, I’ve been considering getting a dash mount for my cell phone. In fact, I was thinking about that literally as I walked into Costco today. What was the first thing on sale right inside the entrance? Motherfuckin’ dash mounts for $15!!!

PBUC

No joke. My boyfriend's car needed new windshield wipers and I pointed it out because it was annoying ac hell. That Sunday (raining), rolled into church and right at the door: Goodyear windshield wipers $8/each.

Goddamn Nostradamus.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I have heard tidings of a Costco burrito the size of a fat raccoon. Has anyone found this magnificent blessed thing anywhere?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

luchajones posted:

the people in this thread will praise Costco for getting rid of sushi so you wont get mercury poisoning.

it's a cult. run far far away!

Caliphs??!!!

Burn this heretic.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Lady at the checkout hit me up with a deal to upgrade to Executive membership for only $15 until the end of the year. I figure since I'm going to be booking a trip soon and Costco executive has 2% cash back I might as well give it a shot.

Just know that once your membership expires, since you're now an executive member they will charge you $120 to renew it on that membership. A lot of people don't think about that when they upgrade for only like $15, which is just a prorated price for the remainder of their membership. It always sucks when I ring someone up for like 2 or 3 things and oh hey, your executive membership has expired. You thought you were going to get out of here only spending $20 but it will in fact cost you $140 because I have to charge you $120 right now to renew or else you can't buy this stuff. It's mostly due to people not knowing when their membership expires, and also a lot of times cashiers do a bad job of explaining the upgrade process.

If you don't want to stay on the executive membership, it's much easier if you ask to downgrade before you have to renew rather than wait until after it expires.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jingleheimer posted:

Just know that once your membership expires, since you're now an executive member they will charge you $120 to renew it on that membership. A lot of people don't think about that when they upgrade for only like $15, which is just a prorated price for the remainder of their membership. It always sucks when I ring someone up for like 2 or 3 things and oh hey, your executive membership has expired. You thought you were going to get out of here only spending $20 but it will in fact cost you $140 because I have to charge you $120 right now to renew or else you can't buy this stuff. It's mostly due to people not knowing when their membership expires, and also a lot of times cashiers do a bad job of explaining the upgrade process.

If you don't want to stay on the executive membership, it's much easier if you ask to downgrade before you have to renew rather than wait until after it expires.

I already setup a calendar event for the end of the year to decide but thanks for the heads up.

I never really went to Costco other than once every other month for essentials but ever since they built a new one a couple blocks from my house I’ve been shopping there a lot more. Going to take the 3 months to see if my spending habits are worth it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Just always be an executive member and spend as much money as possible and it pays for itself!

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The giant bags of Popcornopolis Kettle Corn are back

:toot:

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
I don't even spend that much (single guy) and executive still puts me :10bux: in profit per year.
Also today I saw the sherpa throws, $5 off.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

Just always be an executive member and spend as much money as possible and it pays for itself!

Can confirm.

Also you should be doubling down with the Costco credit card.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
they had the sherpa pallet front and center near the entrance/exit area this weekend

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

RJWaters2 posted:

I don't even spend that much (single guy) and executive still puts me :10bux: in profit per year.
Also today I saw the sherpa throws, $5 off.

If you are going over and making $10 then yes you do spend a bunch.

I didn't make enough to earn my $60 back this year but when I renewed the lady took my $36+ check and gave me another year of Executive so i only paid the $60 instead of $120. If i don't make it this year I won't bother any more.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
My first year of membership, the check cut early. My first check was only $42 but at renewal it was up to $70 for the year. The $28 difference is gonna be on my next check.
Just mathematically, you need $3000 to get $60 from the 2%. One big purchase a year (laptop, tv or whatever) will push you over that in my experience

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm at $288 with my Costco credit card so far. That sure as hell pays for a membership.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does the tire center sell snow tires?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Does the tire center sell snow tires?

Yeah, for many makes and models. You can even order your tires to the store to be installed for a wider variety of sizes and makes.

https://www.costco.com/auto-tires.html

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i don't think i've ever actually been inside a costco

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Jose posted:

All are welcome! Come see the fruits available to you!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
For a nominal fee.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Mods?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

members only, brah

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Let me tell you how Costco gave me $90, yesterday:

A couple months ago, bought the laser printer for $398. Then yesterday, I saw they had it on sale for $299. drat.

Paid for my stuff, on the way out there was no line at customer service, so I stopped. I asked if Costco had price adjustment... Honestly didn't know. He looked up my purchase... But then apologized, it has to be within 30 days. But then he taught me the work around... I asked him if that was a little dishonest? He said no, corporate doesn't care, and be himself did it with patio furniture, recently. So I did what he said...

I went back into the store, and bought another printer at $299. Paid, walked it directly to customer service, and the same guy did the return for the $398 price I paid 2 months ago.

$90 for 10 minutes of effort.

PBUC.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Jose posted:

Come drink our kool-aid that we bought in bulk

naem
May 29, 2011

durrneez posted:

Come drink our kool-aid that we bought in bulk

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

9/10 shoulda been a Chicken Bake

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

9/10 shoulda been a Chicken Bake

Uh, no.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

needs catsup

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

What are you trying to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe