Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018
I'm too stupid to put something witty here. Sorry. :canada:

infernal machines posted:

there were a bunch of tweets showing water damage to the trunk area and missing screws/bolts in and around the wheel wells

they didn't need those screws and bolts, stop spreading FUD you short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

ryde posted:

I'd love to know what points Musk thinks Zuckerberg doesn't understand about AI. If I were a betting man, I'd wager Zuck understood the reality of the situation better.

zuck deffo understands ai more intuitively because he is an android

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

zuck deffo understands ai more intuitively because he is an android

watch me eat toast, fellow humans

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

iospace posted:

watch me eat toast, fellow humans

zuck and r-money should have a press conference about how human they both are

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

qirex posted:

nobody actually knows poo poo about ai because all they're doing is the same dumb heuristic models from like the 70s/neural nets from the 80s just with more data and faster processors

i eagerly await the resurgence of expert systems

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
what if flowcharts were magic?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my rice cooker says "neuro fuzzy logic" on it it is an artificially intelligent appliance

it also plays a sweet chiptune rendition of "twinkle twinkle little star" when you turn it on

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:goonsay: i prefer my rice to be cooked with crystal clear rational logic

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

qirex posted:

my rice cooker says "neuro fuzzy logic" on it it is an artificially intelligent appliance

it also plays a sweet chiptune rendition of "twinkle twinkle little star" when you turn it on

My rice cooker just died, does your super intelligent cooker work well? Any recommendations?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

qirex posted:

nobody actually knows poo poo about ai because all they're doing is the same dumb heuristic models from like the 70s/neural nets from the 80s just with more data and faster processors

Pretty much what I meant. AI becomes a lot less magical when you realize that its all taking output of some ML algorithms that are basically doing dumb pattern matching/statistics and then making decisions on it, usually without even some sort of model of the current state of the world.

I'm assuming Zuck understands this and Musk is engaging in magical thinking. I find that detractors of ML somewhat underestimate what it can do, and the AI cheerleaders vastly overestimate what it can do. The detractors are at least closer to reality.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ryde posted:

doing dumb pattern matching/statistics and then making decisions on it

so figure out how to make it say "black mirror is so awesome, it really makes you think" and you're done. AI achieved

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

this is mostly true, but there is some interesting stuff going on in characterizing what you can actually get deep learning to do (and the many things it can *not* do), e.g. https://arxiv.org/abs/1608.08225

the outcome will no doubt chill the current optimism a bit, but the deep learning stuff does solve some problems very well, so in the long run it will probably be extremely helpful to figure out where it is applicable and not. obviously even the actually promising self-driving transport (e.g. little electric waymo shuttles for airports/campuses/pedestrian areas, for e.g. handicap access, controlled environments where being very conservative is appropriate anyway) involve a lot of actual expert system-style work, and reasonably clearly a lot of that work is still happening in a very unsystematic way, but there could be a legitimate resurgence of research now that the learning side can provide fairly robust means to understanding and interacting with a slightly messy reality

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

iospace posted:

edit fake edit: I know one of you fuckers are going to laugh at VAG.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pronunciation of the initialism is never the most laughable thing about a VAG effort to push into new territories
its pronounced Fog, ops. von adolf gegrundet

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

MrAptronym posted:

My rice cooker just died, does your super intelligent cooker work well? Any recommendations?

qirex posted:

pretty much any of the mid-to-high tier zojirushi rice cookers are /amazing/, i love mine. make sure you get the induction version, the resistive heat one works... alright. induction heat blows it out of the water. does a lot more than just rice too, between that and the timer function you can set up a meal to be ready when you need it. thats the one gotcha, the timer function is 'i want this to be ready at' not 'i want you to start at', which tripped me up till i got used to it. they also make some combo rice cooker/pressure cooker thing that i want but not bad enough to scour craigslist for.

and yes, make sure it has the 'fuzzy logic' sticker on it, the other ones are just dumb timer/weight sensor cooking, /maybe/ a bit better temp control than the heating coil/ptc combo the cheapy cookers use.

Lonoxmont fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 20, 2018

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lonoxmont posted:

the timer function is 'i want this to be ready at' not 'i want you to start at'

this part owns

waking up to rice & beans is the best

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got a cheaper zojirushi but I'm going to get the induction one next time

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

Cocoa Crispies posted:

this part owns

waking up to rice & beans is the best

red beans and rice is awesome, i used mine a lot for steel-cut oatmeal. just set it up the night before and let it soak overnight, it kicks on to be ready to go in the morning. was p sweet.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i still don't understand why they made the drat bumper a critical structural part of the car. does anyone know what their stated reason is for this? i could never own a car where I'm terrified of doing things such as "parallel parking" and "putting the car in reverse, ever"

I showed the picture to a friend who works in the structural design dept. And he send me this (translated from German)

quote:

The plastic part is just the optical exterior. The energy absorption happens below.

There are 3 types of scenarios for rear end collisions that, in a well executed design, will limit the damage done to the vehicle components in an escalating manner.

The first layer is the exterior bumper itself. This part is important for zero energy, zero torque collisions. You will find such collisions typically as roll out collisions when the driver intends to bring the vehicle to a stop and underestimated the total length of the car. The main damage depends mostly on the contact geometry. Rear bumpers have a low surface curvature. If you get lucky and hit a low curvature surface too, there will be no structural damage at all and just paint imprints. If you hit a pointy or highly curved object you might damage the structure of the bumper, but not penetrate it or damage the secondary and tertiary impact elements.

The second impact element depends on the vehicle design and market execution. The US market demands that since the 70s a 5mph crash may not impair the functionality of a car. Nowadays due to generalization attempts, the same usually holds true for most internationally sold vehicles. In order to limit the damage in these low energy collisions, cars include a Hohlraum (cavity) between the exterior bumper and the rear end of the main impact structure, which nowadays usually is an aluminium extrusion profile in a beam shape. The cavity is filled with Styrofoam usually in order to absorb the energy of the impact while the Styrofoam crumbles. The exterior bumper and the cavity filling will inevitably have to be replaced afterwards.

Here's a picture of the front bumper and low energy impact absorber executed as a Styrofoam cavity filling

The last impact mechanism are high energy impacts. Under these conditions, the crash scenario moves from a nuisance to a safety and health related event. The energy absorbers for these types of impacts are usually metal domes wirh defined deformation properties or in case of special requirements, aluminium honeycomb, that absorb the impact energy that is induced into the metal bumper structure. The goal in designing these elements is always to limit as much damage as possible to the crash elements while maximizing the energy absorption up to the breakthrough point, at which the main structure of the car will take damage. This will usually mean that structural damage does not occur until the crash element has been fully deformed. In order to ease diagnosis of crash damage, the elements are layed out to deform inwards, so that a simple look at the deformed length of the element will give an information about potential structural damage to the chassis.

Here are some examples for automotive crash elements and their deformation.

As can be seen in the first of these images, the actual parts containing the crash elements can be more or less easily separated and replaced from the safety cell structure/ chassis/ monocoque of the vehicle. The rear crash elements may be welded to the car body, but can be ordered and replaced individually. This is by design obviously since a significant number of cars will sustain impacts that trigger a deformation of these elements and irreplaceable crash elements would lead to a severe increase in insurance cost usually.

The only logical conclusion is that tesla neglected the execution of the secondary impact layer in a way that the rear bumper developed weak spots that will trigger the crash elements at low energy impacts AND designed its crash elements in a way that makes it impossible to service them. This is a cardinal sin in the making of vehicles for the mass market. The only cars that are generally made wirh irreplaceable crash absorbers are carbon fiber monocoques for motorsport applications since you can reach higher energy absorption rates and endure crashes at really bad angles.

For the mass market a damage to the safety cell structure or the chassis of the vehicle at the deformation rates the tesla in the picture endured is practically unheard of.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 20, 2018

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Lonoxmont posted:

pretty much any of the mid-to-high tier zojirushi rice cookers are /amazing/, i love mine. make sure you get the induction version, the resistive heat one works... alright. induction heat blows it out of the water. does a lot more than just rice too, between that and the timer function you can set up a meal to be ready when you need it. thats the one gotcha, the timer function is 'i want this to be ready at' not 'i want you to start at', which tripped me up till i got used to it. they also make some combo rice cooker/pressure cooker thing that i want but not bad enough to scour craigslist for.

and yes, make sure it has the 'fuzzy logic' sticker on it, the other ones are just dumb timer/weight sensor cooking, /maybe/ a bit better temp control than the heating coil/ptc combo the cheapy cookers use.

think I am gonna go for the 3 cup induction model, I usually make a pretty small batches. that timer feature sounds amazing. YOSPOS coming through for me here.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

PleasureKevin posted:

here is his "submarine"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
cool. handles for the pallbearers.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it is made from rocket parts which are inherently better than submarine parts

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MrAptronym posted:

think I am gonna go for the 3 cup induction model, I usually make a pretty small batches. that timer feature sounds amazing. YOSPOS coming through for me here.

a rice cooker cup isn't an imperial measure cup fyi

quote:

the measurement is 1-gou, slightly more than 180ml, which, by no coincidence, is also the typical measure of a wooden sake, cup, and is closely associated with a historical sake bottle size (approximately 1.8l)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masu_(Japanese)

It turns out that this amount, 1 gou of dried rice, neatly corresponded to a typical serving of rice. In practice, most contemporary Japanese eat about 1.5-2 gou per day; 1 gou of dried rice cooks up enough for 2 Japanese adults for one meal if you have several side dishes. There are other measurements that derive from the gou (or perhaps the other way around), such as the koku, which was considered the amount of rice that a single person would consume over the course of a year.

This is one of the human-centric forms of measurement that has survived the metric push; you can find various examples of this in many otherwise metric-converted countries. It turns out some studies show that those metrics often make certain categories of estimation easier for people.
also it only cooks 2 cups of brown rice [3-4 servings] at a time if but you're 1-2 people it shouldn't be a problem

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

a rice cooker cup isn't an imperial measure cup fyi

also it only cooks 2 cups of brown rice [3-4 servings] at a time if but you're 1-2 people it shouldn't be a problem

huh

I remember a friend getting real mad at both alexa and Siri when they couldn't adequately explain how many grams were in a "scoop" wrt. coffee, so I didn't expect rice cooker scoops to correspond to anything either

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

Cocoa Crispies posted:

huh

I remember a friend getting real mad at both alexa and Siri when they couldn't adequately explain how many grams were in a "scoop" wrt. coffee, so I didn't expect rice cooker scoops to correspond to anything either

yeah i just do all my cooking in grams n poo poo, all the old imperial measurements are :psyduck:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lonoxmont posted:

yeah i just do all my cooking in grams n poo poo, all the old imperial measurements are :psyduck:

yeah, it's so nice

just putting the mixing vessel on a scale and watching numbers change

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

I think he's a bit of both. The dude taught himself rocket science, literally. He is going through a rough patch but if he can pull it together then he would have a lot more to contribute to SpaceX.

quote:

We will become an interplanetary species one day, despite people like you.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

President Beep posted:

cool. handles for the pallbearers.

lmao

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

i watched apollo 13, i am equally knowledgable in rocket science

mewse
May 2, 2006

"Pathetic earthbound human. We are all children of the stars and we will be shot into space"

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
ay_grimes.tixt

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
While it's certainly impressive that Elon Musk has bachelor's degrees in physics and economics from the University of Pennsylvania,

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

I showed the picture to a friend who works in the structural design dept. And he send me this (translated from German)

thanks for posting this. makes sense given the reply in the reddit thread where he explains that the repair place said the part managed to deform in exactly the wrong way, and as such ended up causing structural damage

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i crashed a couple of kerbals on the mün killing them in the process :( in the ksp demo. give me spacex

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Combat Theory posted:

thanks for the reply. i guess there's no way to know exactly what the flaw or the design decisions were that lead to it short of a lawsuit or investigation. hopefully it's just a fault on that one vehicle :-/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

thanks for posting this. makes sense given the reply in the reddit thread where he explains that the repair place said the part managed to deform in exactly the wrong way, and as such ended up causing structural damage

you're crashing it wrong

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

i crashed a couple of kerbals on the mün killing them in the process :( in the ksp demo. give me spacex

Based on your skills, you're over qualified for this position.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lutha Mahtin posted:

thanks for the reply. i guess there's no way to know exactly what the flaw or the design decisions were that lead to it short of a lawsuit or investigation. hopefully it's just a fault on that one vehicle :-/

The only larger scale body repair on an EV that I witnessed was on a 2018 Nissan Leaf (rear right impact) and the whole process was fairly straight forward and comparable to a classic automotive body repair (total repair cost was about 8000€) the only exception was an added week of delay to drive in a Nissan EV tech to disconnect the HV system before the welding could commence.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm pretty sure tesla has entirely their own brand of weirdness here because the batteries are integral to the body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

on the other hand, NHTSA gave it a five-star safety rating, so apparently you will be largely unharmed when it accelerates into a parked emergency vehicle