Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
So you want an immersive dive into a different world, but don't want it to be too immersive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

HORMELCHILI posted:

its just astounding that someones first reaction to all the amazing details put into this game is "Can they just like not? I have twenty minutes a week to put into this"

amazing details like "press x to eat" and "press x to clean gun"

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Ardent Communist posted:

So you want an immersive dive into a different world, but don't want it to be too immersive?

Jesus Christ people, all the guy said was that he hopes the eating and horse-maintenance mechanics aren't "too intrusive" What? You'd prefer that they ARE too intrusive? No, given that the 24-day cycle in GTA5 is like 48 minutes, I don't want to have to stop a mission to feed my horse and cook myself breakfast lunch and dinner every 15 minutes. And there's really nothing in Rockstar's history to suggest that they would make anything that intrusive, so I'm sure our hopes will be fulfilled.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

amazing details like "press x to eat" and "press x to clean gun"

Maybe read a whole article instead of some shitposts, though thats probably beyond your abilities

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Geez, didn’t think not wanting certain mechanics to be too time consuming/intrusive was a controversial opinion. Guess I should’ve sandwiched that discussion between sessions of sucking off Rockstar.

Regardless, game looks like it’s gonna be awesome, no matter how terrible HORMELCHILI wants it to be.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

one post about "eating in this game makes you fat" and goons fall apart

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Tercio posted:

one post about "eating in this game makes you fat" and goons fall apart

Goons fear what they cant control

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

HORMELCHILI posted:

Goons fear what they cant control

No that's TOO immersive!!!

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
i find it rather intrusive that a posse of law makers are trying to prevent me from leaving town after mudering everyone at the poker table i just flipped over

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I just wanna know how dumb it is. Like is this timed button presses for mundane poo poo like drinking beer ala a David Cage game? Am I gonna be forced to hold X for the right amount of time or else my gun goes off in my face because I cleaned it wrong?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crabtree posted:

I just wanna know how dumb it is. Like is this timed button presses for mundane poo poo like drinking beer ala a David Cage game? Am I gonna be forced to hold X for the right amount of time or else my gun goes off in my face because I cleaned it wrong?

my guess is its gonna be a less intrusive verson of kingdom come. eat to heal or for buffs. etc.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

they should make the game turn into qwop when you get really drink imo.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
If its eat or else baby's meter goes down and he dies like a survival game I'll mock it. If its David Cage bullshit where I go through several quick time controller jack offs, button presses and saying the right word into the microphone just so he can piss without getting a snake in his rear end, I'll return it.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Eat to buff or heal is cool

Eat to get fat is cool

Eat because the game tells you it’s time to eat is not cool

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

it's probably going to be like every other GTA game where you walk up to a npc and give them $1 and watch a short animation then stumble around drunk or get fat

hell they might even let you just sip from a canteen while riding on your horse and it won't limit your movement beyond not letting you shoot for 1 second. but also lol if you can drink and shoot at the same time like max payne 3 pill chugging mid-gunfight

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ever since the first rdr game I've wanted to try pulque tbh

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

So should I take a pto day so I can go to the midnight release and then play all day friday and all weekend or should I just quit my job and play forever

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

Press X to jason

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Who are you people who have zero time to play games? I have an hour commute, wife and kid so don't cry to me about it.

If you honestly get frustrated at spending 30 seconds every hour making sure that the character you're playing as is all good, you really might want to take a deep breath.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Screaming JOHN throughout the entire game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
*has to press X on an item once every hour* You're wasting my time!!! *At your TV screen.*

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

quote:

Arthur Morgan is standing in a general store, shoving cheese into his face and downing bottles of rum like an animal. We knew there would be a practical benefit to the stylish mutton chops we shaved into his face just moments before.

He’d been trekking, murdering, and hunting his way across the frontier all day and was feeling a bit sluggish. His shoulders slumped, his gait changed, and everyone he passed told him he looked like poo poo. Cheese was the answer. Cheese and alcohol.

https://www.vg247.com/2018/09/20/red-dead-redemption-2-preview/

e: from the same article:

quote:

The first thing we encounter is the sound of a man screaming.

When we find him he’s writhing around in pain. Turns out he’s been bitten by a snake, just one of hundreds of random events out in the world. We decide to suck the poison out out of his leg. “Don’t tell anyone about this,” Arthur says as he spits the venom on the sand. Our horse takes a massive poo poo.

e2: related from another article https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/20/17876570/red-dead-redemption-2-gameplay-ps4-xbox-one-rockstar

quote:

When I approached the gunsmith’s shop — which sits across the street from the church, as it happens — I noticed two men in conversation on the porch. I walked up to the pair, and one of them said to the other, “Hey, this is the guy I was telling you about!” The man explained to his friend that after he was bitten by a snake the other day, I had come across him and had saved his life by sucking the poison out of the wound. (Presumably, someone playing the game before me on this save file had actually done that.) Then he told me that I could walk into the gun shop and grab one item for free, on him, as a token of his gratitude

e3: more from first article

quote:

At one point, we are exploring a beautiful riverbank and we see a gold prospector draining water into a basin. We decide to see what he’s up to. Arthur greets him with a “Howdy,” and the prospector tells him to piss off. Obviously, we stand closer to him. “Would you mind getting out of my face?” He says. We choose ‘provoke’. “I’m mighty fine right here,” Arthur replies. The prospector loses it and tries to drag Arthur off his horse, so we hop from the saddle and smash his face in before dumping him in the river where he floats away in the current. We probably should have checked his body for gold first.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 20, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

wyoak posted:

Eat to buff or heal is cool

Eat to get fat is cool

Eat because the game tells you it’s time to eat is not cool

look, my needs are simple can i make arthur get fat and poo poo yourself or maybe roll around in horse poo poo. I just want to be some Goon like outlaw. some fat gently caress with bad facial hair and wearing never washed clothes and poo poo stained pants.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

titties posted:

So should I take a pto day so I can go to the midnight release and then play all day friday and all weekend or should I just quit my job and play forever

quit now so you are ready ahead of time

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Glenn Quebec posted:

*has to press X on an item once every hour* You're wasting my time!!! *At your TV screen.*

No, see, what you're describing is exactly the kind of unobtrusive yet totally immersive game mechanic we're hoping it will be. Thank you for supporting us.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It is weird that the series has both doubled down on its gimmick of not having to aim in gunfights and implemented fully-modeled digestive and defecative systems, and the possibly to contract syphilis or scurvy, for Arthur, his horse, and every member of Dutch's gang.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Crabtree posted:

I think you're fully aware that it's not that dumb.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Huh, apparently the weapons system is going to be like Max Payne 3, where all your available weapons are displayed on your person and when you switch from a long rifle to a handgun, Arthur holds the rifle in his off-hand rather than magnetizing it to his back. Presumably you can switch up your entire loadout from your saddlebags or something.

Also, dual wielding is in :hellyeah:

Yeah, the first trailer showed that you go to your horse to switch loadouts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mameluke posted:

It is weird that the series has both doubled down on its gimmick of not having to aim in gunfights and implemented fully-modeled digestive and defecative systems, and the possibly to contract syphilis or scurvy, for Arthur, his horse, and every member of Dutch's gang.

like a you have to tap X not to poo poo yourself in the middle of street and if your gently caress up, you brown your pants and poo poo dynamically flows down your pant legs or some hosed up detailed poo poo like that.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I don't give a gently caress about eating or drinking.

Can I punch a horse.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

idk how this is gonna be any different than getting shithoused in the saloon for :10bux: in RDR

drinking mechanics do nothing but ADD to the fun - especially when trying to drunkenly lasso a living noun

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I hear you can knock an acorn off a tree and watch it grow into another tree in real time, and also if you shoot a dude and play for 15 years his son will come after you.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

its gonna be funny when yung john kills the strange man and doesn't realize the ghost is haunting him while predicting his fate

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm pretty autistic about not playing sequels before I play through the first game. How long do you guys think it'll take me to blitz through RDR if I just do story missions?

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

fadam posted:

I'm pretty autistic about not playing sequels before I play through the first game. How long do you guys think it'll take me to blitz through RDR if I just do story missions?

You’ve got over a month until RDR2, honestly just play through it taking your time. You’d be doing yourself a disservice to rush it. Don’t forget that the new game is really a prequel, so you’d not really be spoiling anything in RDR1 if you hadn’t finished it in time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

fadam posted:

its a prequel. you don;t really need to know about the first game except some of the characters from this one, show up in 1.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just pay through RDR1 because it's loving fantastic.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Yeah if it were made into a movie it would stand up with some of the better westerns ever made imo. It has a different tone than a gta game even though it does the same thing were it blends every trope it can get its hands on. Like if you watch westerns a lot of the scenes will be deja vue but the whole story is still interesting.

The zombie dlc is also good and i would not skip that either.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
its a stank pile of garbage, the gameplay is just ride horse to place shoot dude but the horse pretty much does itself and shooting is done via super duper auto aim slow mo so the gameplay is really just watching a cowboy movie about the world's most blustery pushover yelling that this is the last time he's gonna help ya, for real, ya hear me as he collects another 45 snake dicks or whathaveyou.

EDIT: Deviate in the slightest from Dan Houser Presents: Blustery Errand Boy II: For A Few Blustery Errands More's incredibly tight scripting at any point and the game will insta-fail you. Wandering off to look at a cactus while Bonny tells you about her shrivelled ovaries is a transgression on a par with accidentally putting a rifle round in your son.

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 22, 2018

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Disgusting Coward posted:

its a stank pile of garbage, the gameplay is just ride horse to place shoot dude but the horse pretty much does itself and shooting is done via super duper auto aim slow mo so the gameplay is really just watching a cowboy movie about the world's most blustery pushover yelling that this is the last time he's gonna help ya, for real, ya hear me as he collects another 45 snake dicks or whathaveyou.

EDIT: Deviate in the slightest from Dan Houser Presents: Blustery Errand Boy II: For A Few Blustery Errands More's incredibly tight scripting at any point and the game will insta-fail you. Wandering off to look at a cactus while Bonny tells you about her shrivelled ovaries is a transgression on a par with accidentally putting a rifle round in your son.

One hell of a hot take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Powershift posted:

Just pay through RDR1 because it's loving fantastic.