Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Azhais posted:

Lonesome road is a hallway full of monsters that you navigate while some rear end in a top hat monologues at you in monotone.

Ugh

YOU CAN LEAVE, COURIER 6 !!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was gonna say DM's easily my favorite NV DLC, but parts of Honest Hearts really stick with you. It also feels the most polished and least budget constrained (might just be better planning, more realistic ambitions). At the end of the day it's more NV, for better or worse, whilst the others all tried something different, often just for the worse.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

well you've all set my expectation high for the remaining two dlc!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

After that i'll put Fallout 4 back on and check out it's DLC. I've a habit of playing the core game once or twice, buying the DLC when they're released, but never ever playing them. I do it for all games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

hambeet posted:

well you've all set my expectation high for the remaining two dlc!

i don't consider lr or owb great.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

hambeet posted:

After that i'll put Fallout 4 back on and check out it's DLC. I've a habit of playing the core game once or twice, buying the DLC when they're released, but never ever playing them. I do it for all games.

As has been said many times before in this thread: Start with Far Harbor and bring Nick Valentine with you when you go back to Fallout 4, it is objectively the best and most interesting one, especially if you're the kind of person who digs open world exploration.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

hambeet posted:

Do nukaworld last since it can gently caress up your game if you like playing as a good guy.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rinkles posted:

i don't consider lr or owb great.

what the gently caress

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Do nukaworld last since it can gently caress up your game if you like playing as a good guy.

Ya the main plot of Nuka World can go Very Bad for good characters or if you happen to have any affection for that dull brick Preston. Otherwise its essentially a handful of wacky dungeons with a lot of goofy theme items around a hub, with a fuckton of bad collectible sidequests.

Far Harbor is often times better than the base game itself. Far Harbor loving rules. The fall is here, perfect time to play a spooky North Eastern foggy adventure!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CharlestonJew posted:

what the gently caress

Cringy, enemies made annoying as gently caress on purporse (as admitted by a dev), too sprawling, encourages backtracking and repeating the same levels over and over.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

I hear you can do it straight out of Sanctuary Hills, making an effort to avoid meeting Preston and then go back and do the rest of the game as usual when you're done and it kinda works? I haven't tried it.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Megazver posted:

I hear you can do it straight out of Sanctuary Hills, making an effort to avoid meeting Preston and then go back and do the rest of the game as usual when you're done and it kinda works? I haven't tried it.

The issue is more I think the raider settlement system requires you to take over settlement locations and subjugate near by settlements as tribute since raiders don't like to farm.

The system is fun, but works weird since you can't improve a subjugated settlement, so you can find yourself planting food and helping a settlement, only to come back and make it a vassal. Granted some of the default settlements (Abernathy farm, green top nursery) have enough farming to make good vassals without being built up first.

I should load my raider game back up and give it more of a try. I stopped after I built like the first raider camp in the commonwealth.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I bought Nuka world and never played it--you can take over the whole drat commonwealth as a raider? For some reason I never wanted to do that as a minuteman...

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Gay Horney posted:

I bought Nuka world and never played it--you can take over the whole drat commonwealth as a raider? For some reason I never wanted to do that as a minuteman...

Yeah, as part of the main story you can take over settlements of the commonwealth as a raider. Then once you give a settlement to raiders you can then turn other nearby settlements as vassals, that give excess food to them.

They added a lot of mechanics you slowly unlock as you capture more settlements, like drug dispensers for happiness and the ability to build raider shops. I even think they are default linked all the raider settlements with supply lines.

It is basically an interesting way to build settlements without dumping points into charisma and who am I kidding I'm going back to my raider character tonight to continue fiddling with it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Or kill all the raiders and take Nisha's mask and the Pack guy's necklace because kill all raider scum.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Schubalts posted:

Or kill all the raiders and take Nisha's mask and the Pack guy's necklace because kill all raider scum.

I say lead em' on till you take over the park, THEN kill them all.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
if u become a raider boss, how did you enjoy your caesar's legion playthrough of NV?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I was trying to head off the "someone unironically spews apologia for the Legion" part of the thread cycle but if you want to shove words in my mouth I am apparently powerless to stop you.

wait do we even have papers or computer logs to print out i haven't gotten to nuka world this round yet

or are we just going duh they're raiders

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 21, 2018

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

dont be mean to me posted:

The raiders are brutal but at least they're not an incel comment section with an army.

lol

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

the murdering raping slavers i command are the moral ones,

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

if u become a raider boss, how did you enjoy your caesar's legion playthrough of NV?

Whoa there buddy, let's not go comparing Raiders to the Legion. Raiders may be evil serial killers, but at least they have some goddamn gender equality. :colbert: Ya gotta draw the line somewhere.

Clawtopsy posted:

the murdering raping slavers i command are the moral ones,

As long as they're raping and enslaving both genders equally.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 21, 2018

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Clawtopsy posted:

The Nuka raiders got jokes and a cool penthouse bro

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
The Nuka World raiders are more like organised criminal gangs, definitely not as mindless as regular Commonwealth raiders. As long as you distribute the outposts in a way that results in the sadist group getting eliminated (who are probably the most raider-like).

hambeet posted:

I enjoyed the FO4 DLC much more than the NV DLC's, they're way less boring. You should definitely check them out.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Why even let them live that long? I play along with them until all the parks have been divvied up and they give me access to the power plant. Then I wait until nightfall to turn everything back on and celebrate the grand reopening of Nuka-World by riding all the rides and killing everyone I come across. Maximum experience, loot and caps that way.

I guess you could use the raiders to take over the Commonwealth; it's a lot faster than the Minuteman way but that doesn't make it any more fun.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Whoa there buddy, let's not go comparing Raiders to the Legion. Raiders may be evil serial killers, but at least they have some goddamn gender equality. :colbert: Ya gotta draw the line somewhere.

As long as they're raping and enslaving both genders equally.

👏 HIRE 👏 MORE 👏 WOMEN 👏 RAPISTS 👏

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Clawtopsy posted:

👏 HIRE 👏 MORE 👏 WOMEN 👏 RAPISTS 👏

Yes, we know you're desperate for work.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Honest Hearts made me actually think "woah this looks cool I want to visit Zion" even with the Gamebryo engine and that is pretty impressive imo.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I also wanted to visit Zion Nation Park (among others) because of the gorgeous sights. But there were two major problems with that; one, I don't like camping and two, I'd have to travel to Utah. So until I can sort those out I'll have to make due with pictures and live vicariously through video games.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

honest hearts wins cuz it's a sad cowboy tale. there are good guys who ain't all good, bad guys that barely register as human and an obscene amount of violence.

plus joshua grahams voice-acting sounds like a hatefuck, truly great.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
And the lesson is, you can't run from violence. You shoot it in the face with a .45 acp :black101:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I just loved the way Joshua Graham hissed "Yessssss" sometimes when you killed a guy

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Why even let them live that long? I play along with them until all the parks have been divvied up and they give me access to the power plant. Then I wait until nightfall to turn everything back on and celebrate the grand reopening of Nuka-World by riding all the rides and killing everyone I come across. Maximum experience, loot and caps that way.

I guess you could use the raiders to take over the Commonwealth; it's a lot faster than the Minuteman way but that doesn't make it any more fun.

Yeah after I unlocked the two raider gang perks at the end of the questline I activated the quest from a trader in the market to retake Nuka World for the Traders. In doing so you also get to retake the outposts you gave them for the Minutemen.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I did NukaWorld after I had completed everything else in the game, it works really well to take over the commonwealth then. Just save 1 base (Sanctuary for me) and transfer all named characters there before you start taking over settlements. I loved filling the settlements with radios, hearing RedEye scream from several directions every time I visited to loot the tribute chests.

And I just marched right up to his face and said "Well here I am, now what?" You could see right away that he was impressed. Now he looks at me and says "Maaan, you look like hell! How long has it been since you slept?" I said I don't know man, doesn't matter, I can sleep when I'm dead! You could see on his face that he was totally impressed, just like, he knew I was the Real Deal! So first he says "Man, I am impressed! You're the Real Deal RedEye! I'm gonna call you that 'cause your eyes are bloodshot as hell and it looks reaaaally cool." He says "You're gonna be my right-hand man because I can tell by just by looking at you that I can count on you." And he sees the guitar I'm carrying and he says "Oh no poo poo, you can play?" And I look at him and I say "I don't know man....CAN I?" *epic guitar riff on what sounds like a broken ukulele*

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

jfood posted:

honest hearts wins cuz it's a sad cowboy tale. there are good guys who ain't all good, bad guys that barely register as human and an obscene amount of violence.

plus joshua grahams voice-acting sounds like a hatefuck, truly great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34A-ODy9u1Y

:swoon:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TjyvTompa posted:

I did NukaWorld after I had completed everything else in the game, it works really well to take over the commonwealth then. Just save 1 base (Sanctuary for me) and transfer all named characters there before you start taking over settlements. I loved filling the settlements with radios, hearing RedEye scream from several directions every time I visited to loot the tribute chests.

And I just marched right up to his face and said "Well here I am, now what?" You could see right away that he was impressed. Now he looks at me and says "Maaan, you look like hell! How long has it been since you slept?" I said I don't know man, doesn't matter, I can sleep when I'm dead! You could see on his face that he was totally impressed, just like, he knew I was the Real Deal! So first he says "Man, I am impressed! You're the Real Deal RedEye! I'm gonna call you that 'cause your eyes are bloodshot as hell and it looks reaaaally cool." He says "You're gonna be my right-hand man because I can tell by just by looking at you that I can count on you." And he sees the guitar I'm carrying and he says "Oh no poo poo, you can play?" And I look at him and I say "I don't know man....CAN I?" *epic guitar riff on what sounds like a broken ukulele*

Andrew W.K. needs to be in more Fallout games, or maybe just more games in general, guy's a great voice actor in addition to being a great musician.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Andrew W.K. needs to be in more Fallout games, or maybe just more games in general, guy's a great voice actor in addition to being a great musician.

He's been involved in Rage 2 a bit and is the voice of the special edition bonus.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I also wanted to visit Zion Nation Park (among others) because of the gorgeous sights. But there were two major problems with that; one, I don't like camping and two, I'd have to travel to Utah. So until I can sort those out I'll have to make due with pictures and live vicariously through video games.

I visited the SW U.S. for the first time a few years ago, and my abiding love for New Vegas made it 1,000,000x cooler. Spent one night in gross glitzy Vegas before heading out into the wastes. Zion was definitely the highlight of my trip; the most beautiful National Park I've ever been to. The Grand Canyon was awesome, obviously. The scale and art deco architecture of Hoover drat were rad as gently caress.

...But Zion is always what makes me think about a return trip.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I’m going to be in Vegas in a month. I’ve already put in time to make the circuit from Goodsprings.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Mecca for nerds (no offense intended).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Obsidian really did an awesome job with the geography. I was in DC recently and basically nothing looked even close to Fallout 3, but you can overlay the New Vegas map over the real thing and it lines up almost perfectly.