Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

And there are plenty of series where women buy tons of merch, even when they're not the majority fanbase. The Tales Of series is majority male when it comes to all game buyers, but merch and more hardcore fan stuff is offically acknowledged as being overwhelmingly consumed by women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's very dumb but sadly a trend in media that women/girls spending money just doesn't matter to executives/critics (See how the early Beatles got mocked by critics cause it was consumed mostly by girls but when guys strarted buying around Rubber Soul all of sudden they became the best band ever)

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Sakurazuka posted:

Marketing

First against the wall

This. So much this.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's not so much a matter of they don't want to make more money, it's that they think they're making the wrong money. Executives want only certain demographics to buy for certain properties. In Young Justice's case, it was getting good ratings, but most of the people who were watching and buying the toys were women. They only wanted boys to watch it, because the "wisdom" is that girls who get into boys' properties don't stick around, so you can't make them loyal viewers of these properties and whatever followups they do.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's a load of old sighted "I'D RATHER HAVE NOTHING!".

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Paul Dini mentioned it in this interview

https://io9.gizmodo.com/paul-dini-superhero-cartoon-execs-dont-want-largely-f-1483758317

Girls either don't buy stuff or buy the wrong stuff which doesn't shock me as that opinion comes up a lot in US anime fandom

Thanks. Well, that's a downer.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Part of it might be these cartoons generally being just one project of many for giant media companies, so something like this is merely reallocating resources to something that could better optimize profit per whatever overall plan they have, versus a smaller company only having a few products/IPs and therefore much greater benefit from accommodating secondary or unexpected customers.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's just baffling to see a company pull a product that's making money cause it's making money the wrong way. And US companies seem the worst for it, wheras Japanese companies (well more of the Otaku focused ones) can adapt and actually accept that the target market may be girls and be actually okay with it

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's just baffling to see a company pull a product that's making money cause it's making money the wrong way. And US companies seem the worst for it, wheras Japanese companies (well more of the Otaku focused ones) can adapt and actually accept that the target market may be girls and be actually okay with it

I once worked for a U.S. company that sold rather custom software to a specific kind of customer (he said vaguely) around the world. The company did a reorg, and split the projects such that all projects selling to domestic customers were under one VP, and all the projects selling to overseas were under another VP. That was fine, except the project I was on sold to both domestic and overseas customers.

Did the VPs meet and decide based on sales which new section of the company the project could go under? Did they make a new company section for our little oddball project (that was bringing in 10% of revenue a year)? Did they flip a coin? Did they fight in Thunderdome?

No. No, they did not. They canceled the project, offered to sell the software code to each customer (half of them bought it, half didn't), and pissed off several national governments. The 30 or so of us IT people were gotten rid of, too, although most of us had bailed by that point, as we could see it coming. All because we didn't fit into the new org chart, and neither VP would let the other have it.

That company doesn't exist anymore. Death by teh dumb.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Symphogear, interview with Genjuro and Ogawa's VAs.

A few funny bits in there.

quote:

Ishikawa: Also, in each season there was a veteran actor or actress who came to participate and I always looked forward to meeting them. In season 1 we had Mrs. Minami (Takayama), in G Mrs. Kikuko (Inoue) and in GX Mr. Seki (Toshihiko). Season 1 was especially memorable for me in that regard. Whenever Mrs. Minami came to record she would always invite me out for food afterwards, like "Hide, let's go" and I'd say "yes m'am!"

quote:

Please sum up Symphogear in one word!

Ishikawa: Fired-up
Hoshi: Fist

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Somehow it just dawned on me that the Sailor Moon S movie is technically canon (but at the same time due to changes the 90's version made to the overall story it does not actually fit into the continuity of the anime itself). The whole Princess Kaguya plot is actually an adaption of a side chapter the manga did in between the Infinity and Dream arcs.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 22, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So after The Usagi & Chibiusa Show Super S kind of left a bad taste in my mouth I've been working my way through Sailor Stars. It's much better (even though this is one of the few cases where I think the manga actually handles certain things a bit better than the anime did, the ending for example) but I kind of question how the hell the 90's dub would have handled the series had they actually gotten to it.

You've got stuff like Haruka and Michiru raising a child together, a good chunk of the major characters getting temporarily killed off near the end (though not quite as gruesomely as the first season handled it at least), Usagi spends a good chunk of an episode naked and most importantly the Starlights who are explicitly men that turn into women (though in the manga at least they were just women in disguise). The first three could be easily glossed over (and other countries that did dub Stars just painted a dress over Usagi during the aforementioned scene) but I'm not really sure how they could have logically handled the last point.

Despite that it's still a fun ride (even if the main premise is almost identical to the Zoicite arc of the original, right down to Sailor Moon gaining a wand with a healing spell). The Phages are uniquely designed and I kind of like how the main villains are basically just evil Sailor Scouts.

Somewhat off the subject but I think PGSM (the live action show) may actually be one of my favorite incarnations of the franchise despite some of the effects being kind of cheesy even by Toku standards and the fact that the characters very rarely actually make contact with each other during combat. They actually let Usagi and Mamoru's relationship develop gradually, I kind of like the Sentai-esque monsters better than some of the designs in the anime/manga, the 4 Generals are all unique characters while at the same time being drastically different from the 90's version, the other Scouts are given a lot more focus (possibly even more than the 90's show in fact), and the extra stuff they added (Dark Mercury, Princess Sailor Moon, Sailor Luna, etc.) works well. Shame that it only covered the first arc as I'd kind of like to see their take on some of the later stuff as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 2, 2018

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
It recently came to my attention that Amazon video has Nanoha on it. Watched the first few episodes and I don't dislike it, in fact it's quite a breath of fresh air to have such a competent protagonist from the get go in this genre. I guess the biggest question on my mind is since I'm in it for the long haul with so many seasons, is it worth sticking with? Are there any seasons that are going to cause a huge drop(or rise) in quality?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Watch A's skip the rest.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watch the first movie and A's TV series, skip the rest.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think StrikerS has its merits, even if it’s poorly-paced. It really leans into that sci-fi magical girl thing, and the resultant aesthetic is pretty cool.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
StrikerS is good - the premise gets a little weird for a magical girl show, but tonally it doesn't at all feel out of place compared to the two previous series. Plus, it's nice seeing the characters being grown up, having jobs, and saving a child so they can adopt her and be her two gay mums.

Lyrical's animation looks kind of rear end but it's perfectly fine to watch if you don't mind the low budget (though the film covers 99% of the same plot beats with a much higher budget). The production quality for A's is much higher so you're fine just watching the series for that one, though it also has a recap film with a much higher animation budget if you want to check that out after watching the show. StrikerS never got a film.

There are also a couple of sports spinoffs: ViviD is magical girl MMA starring Nanoha and Fate's daughter, but ends abruptly halfway through a tournament arc with no resolution; and ViviD Strike is a sequel series with a completely different main cast that I couldn't give two shits about, so I dropped it halfway through.

Also, be aware that there shows add more and more bad bath scenes as they go on.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 19, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Strikers has issues (slow, too many new characters that arent very interesting) but yeah, it's neat to see the characters grow into full-on adults, and how sci-fi things have gotten. I'd say at least give it a look after you finish A's and just drop it if you get bored.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The scifi-ness of StrikerS is especially cool because it's all a completely normal extrapolation from the way we're told magic works five minutes into Lyrical.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I agree that the setting and growth of the older characters are good, and Subaru is cool, but the pacing was just too poor. They could have dropped half the characters including Erio and Caro and made it half the length and it probably would have been fine.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 19, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, I'm not fully caught up on Hugtto yet but have there been any more cameos from previous seasons recently or was it just the Futari Wa duo from a little while back?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, I'm not fully caught up on Hugtto yet but have there been any more cameos from previous seasons recently or was it just the Futari Wa duo from a little while back?

Just that one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, too bad. So since we're a little more than halfway done at this point (we're in the mid-thirties and most seasons are generally 50 episodes at most) how long does it usually take for Toei to announce the next Precure season?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They usually only announce the next series when the show is in the mid-late 40s.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've been half rear end posting on Twitter when I had something to say but holy poo poo, Hugtto is amazing! I do follow a couple of PreCure nerds so I got spoiled on Lulu and the sheer joy that is Lulu\Emiru but even that hasn't decreased how much I love this show. I'm also kinda digging the fact Henri is, at least fashion wise as far as I know, gender fluid as gently caress and doesn't care. It's a nice small thing.

I do plan on watching Heartcatch afterwards but I have a while to go. I'm still on like episode 19 of Hugtto.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'd actually kind of like to see them try to give Pretty Cure the PGSM treatment one day (albeit with better effects and stunt work of course), the original would probably be the best choice to adapt as aside from a few team attacks the girls mostly just focus more on hand to hand combat as opposed to their successors (or better yet, do a new series specifically made for live action).

Hell, for that matter I wouldn't mind a second season of PGSM to be honest as despite the cheesy effects it was a nice middle ground between the manga and the 90's anime and most of the changes actually enhanced the overall story for the most part. It's also probably one of the best adaptions of the Dark Kingdom arc I've seen (though I still put the 90's version slightly above it due to things like the Nephrite arc and the final two episodes). Of course, the show aired 15 years ago so you'd probably have to recast everyone at this point but it could probably work.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

For Nanoha I used to think watch the first movie instead of TV until I rewatched the TV 2 years back and flipped on it. TV is worth a watch both cause its Shinbo's first magical girl show but also the pacing of the first episodes as a normal magical girl show like a CCS clone is important for Nanoha's character and the movie doesn't have that.

I still find it amazing that Nanoha and Precure started airing the same year and both are getting movies that I really want to see this October

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I still find it amazing that Nanoha and Precure started airing the same year and both are getting movies that I really want to see this October

I stopped following the franchise after Strikers but before the Lyrical/A's films, what are they doing with the new films these days?

e; vv that sounds weird enough to be worth a watch, so I'll check it out. Thanks. :)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 21, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

I stopped following the franchise after Strikers but before the Lyrical/A's films, what are they doing with the new films these days?

Reflection/Detonations is the A's video game in anime form (but expanded upon). The first was one long action movie that was really great and it's amusing to see what was Palette swaps of Nanoha, Fate, and Hayate become actual real anime characters. It's funny but also fitting given everything Nanoha

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

God I love Futari Wa, something about the squishiness of the animation was so delightful and all the characters (even the side characters) were great. I think it's actually my favorite Precure that I've watched so far.

Currently I'm watching Splash Star and the fairies are so drat cute, they're like little bean bags :3:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

God I love Futari Wa, something about the squishiness of the animation was so delightful and all the characters (even the side characters) were great. I think it's actually my favorite Precure that I've watched so far.

Currently I'm watching Splash Star and the fairies are so drat cute, they're like little bean bags :3:

I've seen most of them and yeah, the original is still one of my favorites. It's a lot more violent than it's successors as well as while future Cure teams get all sorts of fancy weapons and energy attacks, Nagisa and Honoka pretty much remain strictly hand to hand fighters throughout both seasons (aside from a few team attacks that is). Combine that with a charming cast and some good humorous moments and it's basically Dragon Ball for girls (which makes sense since they share a director). Max Heart also contains the only Cure in the franchise (I think anyway) that is not actually named as such (Shiny Luminous). A pity most of the villains suck though (the first one is an albino David Bowie named Pissard).

Hell, compared to some of the later shows it actually feels more like a Shounen series at times that just happens to feature a primarily female cast. I'd actually like to see a future Precure series that's more back to basics like this but, as is the case with Sentai and Kamen Rider, the series has become a lot more toyetic over the years so that's probably not happening any time soon.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 21, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

Max Heart also contains the only Cure in the franchise (I think anyway) that is not actually named as such (Shiny Luminous).

There's also Milky Rose from Yes Precure 5 GoGo! I think she and Shiny Luminous are the only two because the director had a hangup about girls from another world being actual Cures, since the lesson was supposed to be normal everyday girls saving the world. Then Fresh Precure came along and got a new director and they axed that rule and we got Cure Passion (not that I'm complaining since she's my all time favorite).

But yeah the more hands-on nature of the fighting in Futari Wa was really fun to watch.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

There's also Milky Rose from Yes Precure 5 GoGo! I think she and Shiny Luminous are the only two because the director had a hangup about girls from another world being actual Cures, since the lesson was supposed to be normal everyday girls saving the world. Then Fresh Precure came along and got a new director and they axed that rule and we got Cure Passion (not that I'm complaining since she's my all time favorite).

But yeah the more hands-on nature of the fighting in Futari Wa was really fun to watch.

Not sure if Rose ever came back but I know that Luminous at least is still regarded as an official Cure in all related teamup specials/movies despite that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wonder what that first director would have said about Makoto, Aguri, Riko, and Kotoha.

The latter of whom is GOD.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, did every Precure season get a "6th Ranger" type figure or was it just certain ones (I'm pretty sure Splash Star didn't get any additional members at least)?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

They get the Kiryuus but that wasn't really a permanent thing and I think Toei has forgotten that they exist so I don't think they really count.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Toei hasn't forgotten them. Their Precure forms are getting figuarts.

They're just regulated to supporting cast like Regina, Cure Flora, etc., so they don't get to be in Allstars movies.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

I forget, did every Precure season get a "6th Ranger" type figure or was it just certain ones (I'm pretty sure Splash Star didn't get any additional members at least)?

First season of Yes didn't get one, Milky Rose didn't come till Go Go. But yeah from Go Go on up every series got a mid-season Cure to help sell toys.

I have the feeling the Kiryuu's probably would of been Cure's if the second Precure movie didn't get parents (rightfully) angry so they changed that so Cures wouldn't be fighting Cures

Also Regina should of been Ace.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Nodosaur posted:

Toei hasn't forgotten them. Their Precure forms are getting figuarts.

Oh that's neat, I didn't know that.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I have the feeling the Kiryuu's probably would of been Cure's if the second Precure movie didn't get parents (rightfully) angry so they changed that so Cures wouldn't be fighting Cures

god that scene was so intense. I love when Honoka realized she had hurt Nagisa so she just sort of held her arms out and willed her to come end it. Like I understand why they decided that was too much for kids but goddamn I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Pikestaff posted:

Oh that's neat, I didn't know that.

Splash Star got freed from Toei's merchandise jail cause Happiness Charge became the worst selling Precure over it (thank you Happiness Charge)