Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Seemingly a new Sonic animated series by the guys behind Mania Adventures was confirmed.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2018/09/new-sonic-animated-series-confirmed/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Was Sonic Boom cancelled?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Augus posted:

I mean it's good music but it's filtered through lovely GBA audio quality and it doesn't seem like the fangame's correcting that so far
There's these. The bass still sounds very buzzy, but that may just be because that buzzy bass is sort of the Sonic Advance games' iconic sound at this point. The other instruments seem a lot crisper.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think there's been any news about it since the second season ended a while back so I imagine so at this point.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Last I heard the writers had gone their separate ways so by every metric yeah, shows dead, Dave.

It was a shame, it truly was the pillar that held the side-franchise up for as long as it did, but realistically without anything else it was on borrowed time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/SPEEPSHighway/status/1040682690272526336

what

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I know that's windy hill but now I'm gonna go listen to azure blue world 10 times in a row

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Yes! Yes!!!!

https://twitter.com/yvrshoots/status/1041786977060708352

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

This podcast episode has one of the movie screenwriters as a guest and they cover a wide range of sonic stuff including fan games, the UK comic, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/struggle-session-618688589/episode-101-sonic-mania-w-abby-denton-and-van-robichaux

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

deleted

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Augus posted:

deleted

I think these images should still work.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

this movie's gonna be so fuckin bad

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Simsmagic posted:

Now think of the video game version :getin:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

again, that's not Carrey.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Simsmagic posted:

yeah, i agree that it's gonna own and i'm gonna see it day 1

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It is going to be terrible because it is being made by Sony, but I am up for some weird dumb new take on Sonic regardless.

Since it is live action and the modern trend there is for photorealistic CGI creatures rather than a Rocky & Bullwinkle monstrosity, I'm hoping for some weird, hairy blue gremlin.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its going to be a hedgehog spray painted blue.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/LuxuryAccess/status/1041822233818292225

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Good to see Bean the Dynamite is appearing in this movie.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Ah, yes, signage easter eggs in a real world setting, just like in the smash hit video game adaptation, Super Mario Bros.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

this movie being comparible to the super mario bros movie would be a dream come true for me. that movie is so good

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like that they’re taking the same approach to the Sonic movie as if they were making it 25 years ago.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like that they’re taking the same approach to the Sonic movie as if they were making it 25 years ago.

Worked for Sonic Mania!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think these images should still work.

The rings are a nice touch.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Simsmagic posted:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It is going to be terrible because it is being made by Sony, but I am up for some weird dumb new take on Sonic regardless.

Since it is live action and the modern trend there is for photorealistic CGI creatures rather than a Rocky & Bullwinkle monstrosity, I'm hoping for some weird, hairy blue gremlin.

It was going to be terrible the second someone said. "We should make the big Sonic movie Live Action." and a bunch of people agreed.

Like Sonic and live action are just things I can't see go together. And making it live action would have been one of my last thoughts were I in charge of producing the moive.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the plot as I understand it is basically just E.T. with Sonic grafted onto it. It won't be good but I'm hoping that at least it'll be entertaining ala the Mario Bros. movie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It is driving me crazy the name of the town is Green Hills

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

It is driving me crazy the name of the town is Green Hills

https://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Green_Hills_Zone

Whoever wrote the script played the Game Gear version.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1042793378750947328

Dehry fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 20, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The AGES port of Sonic 1 is out. It's pretty solid, exemplary work really. The Drop Dash does a lot to speed up what is basically the slowest paced classic game.

The Ring Chain Counter is also a great feature, and it discourages abusing save states because it resets the counter.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

But is it better than the Taxman/Stealth mobile port? Not being widescreen makes Sonic 1/2 suck.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WilliamAnderson posted:

But is it better than the Taxman/Stealth mobile port? Not being widescreen makes Sonic 1/2 suck.

So not being widescreen means the game is worse, but it has dropdash which thr mobile port doesnt. Why the two of them werent put in the same thing Ive no idea

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It'd be nice to be able to talk about these games without it immediately being derailed into "but the Taxman version".

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Barudak posted:

So not being widescreen means the game is worse, but it has dropdash which thr mobile port doesnt. Why the two of them werent put in the same thing Ive no idea

A combined version would really be the ultimate. It’s a shame Sega seems to ignore the Taxman ports. You’d think they’d reconsider with how well Mania did. :bang:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The situation with the mobile ports is tied up in multiple divisions. Each time Taxman worked with Sega, he'd have to pitch to different teams; it wasn't a continuous arrangement, because a lot of the people he'd work with would leave the company by the next time things rolled around. Sonic CD, Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Mania were all different productions he had to start fresh on each time. They were also overseen by different departments, and combine that with with each of the people he'd formed relationships with departing that makes it very hard to get development on them restarted again. The Sonic 1 and 2 mobile versions seem to have primarily been a Sega of America thing, and now they're embroiled in the Sega Forever program, so it doesn't look like that'll change.

The AGES stuff is more or less Sega of Japan filling in a niche that SoA isn't prepared or willing to fill.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Nodosaur posted:

It'd be nice to be able to talk about these games without it immediately being derailed into "but the Taxman version".

It would be nice if Sega didn't just ignore them and make them the definitive editions. I want to pay money for them! I bought them on my phone and want to pay for them again, just because the widescreen support is so good. It's dumb that Sega has these internal stupid politics that prevent them from releasing the best product.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And it’s fair and perfectly valid to have that opinion.

But this effectively and repeatedly shuts down discussion of what is actually a very fine release of its own that serves as a very decent alternative. It’s treating this respective version like it’s the obstacle to getting those releases when that’s not the case at all.

At some point it just gets overly repetitive and reductive.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gently caress you sega

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Nodosaur posted:

And it’s fair and perfectly valid to have that opinion.

But this effectively and repeatedly shuts down discussion of what is actually a very fine release of its own that serves as a very decent alternative. It’s treating this respective version like it’s the obstacle to getting those releases when that’s not the case at all.

At some point it just gets overly repetitive and reductive.

It's Sonic 1 with a drop dash, there's actually not much else to talk about