Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

:allears:
Last air-cooled model sold in Japan or so I hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

KakerMix posted:

You sure that the date shown on the sheet there (5th year of reign, 12 for December) is the manufactured date and not the registration date? The Rugger says December as well but was actually manufactured in August so it's legal for import.

Is the manufacture date usually what’s on the sheet? Or do you have to get that from JCD or inspection?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowy posted:

Is the manufacture date usually what’s on the sheet? Or do you have to get that from JCD or inspection?

Gotta ask, it isn't on the sheets. As far as I know what is shown there is always when it was first registered. Depending on the vehicle that could mean it was made a long while before. Both my 93 AZ-1s we're made in 92, for instance.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

everdave posted:

One of the cleanest sheets I’ve seen. I’d get the trans on what the text is with the exclamations, probably like something about this thing is clean AF. Let me know if you are bidding

I'm not bidding tho I'm on the fence about this Jimny...

quote:

interior worn and dirty with scratches and rips, AC not working, after market steering wheel, under carriage surface rust, diagram scratches and dents

I'm gonna assume the surface rust is nbd, but def one of those things why it's good to be able to get an inspection.

Because I really don't need another car I might hold off for something with a better interior. I dunno.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 20, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Femtosecond posted:

I'm not bidding tho I'm on the fence about this Jimny...

I'm gonna assume the surface rust is nbd, but def one of those things why it's good to be able to get an inspection.

Because I really don't need another car I might hold off for something with a better interior. I dunno.

That's nice, I would have inspected it. Guessing that 'AC not working' means it's not as cold as it could be, 'interior worn scratches and rips' is probably tiny minor stuff involving the driver's side door bolster, and the various scratches and dents being nothing worth mentioning for a car from 1991. Plus, and this is the kicker, that wheel is OEM and not at all aftermarket.

Suzuki used it on a lot of stuff, the AZ-1 has a very similar (tho not identical) wheel. Says 'Autozam' in the center instead of 'Jimny'. The shift knob is aftermarket though, wonder why they didn't mention that!

This is why going by the sheet is goofy, you NEED a third part inspection to be absolutely sure about a vehicle because whoever is filling out the sheet is potentially doing this to hundreds of cars in a short amount of time and even if they aren't ignorant, they do not have the time to accurately describe a vehicle.

I'm a little miffed I didn't see this Jimny earlier because now it's way too late to put in a bid, let alone inspect it.

Mtmd
Dec 29, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Houston is a viable port for RORO?
Dang it, there's one step closer to me buying a JC Cosmo (I'm in Dallas area.)

Well, Freeport technically. About 60 miles south of Houston. Got the van home a couple of hours ago and it juuuuuusssstttt barely fits in the garage. Will get pics up after I get it all detailed. Thing is in good condition, started right up, and has a full tank! I don't know if Hoegh exclusively uses this company at this port (Horizon Terminal Services) but I just drove up, showed my ID and parked. Van was sitting about 20 yards inside the gate in a row of actys, sambars, and hijets plus one ridiculously clean GC STI that I didn't get photos of because I was being mobbed by mosquitoes. Went into the office, gave them my delivery order, told the woman I parked my trailer right in front of it and she said "Cool, keys are in it you can go ahead and load it up and we'll send someone out to verify the VIN." As I was strapping it down someone rolled up on a golf cart, I handed them the paper, they gave it a cursory glance and scribbled a signature across it and told me to have a nice day. Whole interaction took about 40 minutes but half of that was because they didn't tell me on the phone that I needed a hi viz jacket to get inside and I didn't bring cash to buy one at the gate so I had to turn around and go into town and come back. Other than that it was a blissfully smooth experience.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Hey Applebees Appetizer/leica:

Your chariot has arrived: https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/6702333491.html

It'd be difficult to get the JDM one here, and this one already was imported 31 years ago.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

You forgot the best part, yellow fog lights. Looks great!
You sure that the date shown on the sheet there (5th year of reign, 12 for December) is the manufactured date and not the registration date? The Rugger says December as well but was actually manufactured in August so it's legal for import.

Yes, I love the yellow fog lights! That always appealed to me on the Jimnys. Yoshi said that it was December manufacture date, but maybe that's registration and they can verify once it gets to port and can check the VIN plate. I'm hoping to get it sooner so I can tinker on it before winter and have some fun in the snow.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I kind of want to bid on this hilux surf and try and flip it, i just don't know how much a diesel surf is going for

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-XPLh2IogDiHhYY.htm

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

I kind of want to bid on this hilux surf and try and flip it, i just don't know how much a diesel surf is going for

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-XPLh2IogDiHhYY.htm

That specific one has been on there a while, the reserve is close to 1200000 yen.

Yeah.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DJ Commie posted:

Hey Applebees Appetizer/leica:

Your chariot has arrived: https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/6702333491.html

It'd be difficult to get the JDM one here, and this one already was imported 31 years ago.

Wow that's nice, but honestly I prefer the hatch. Also it's on the opposite end of the country from me.

I dream about owning a turbo BG, and a Jeep, and a couple other cars but I just don't have the room for them :(

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

That specific one has been on there a while, the reserve is close to 1200000 yen.

Yeah.

I was about to say I’ve seen this often.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

I was about to say I’ve seen this often.

Original owner trying to sell it for US Surf prices I guess. Low miles for sure but too pricey.

There is a baller turbo gasoline convertible Pajero that's up too but the dude has a 900000 reserve and it doesn't even come with the canvas top lmao

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

This has to be some bosozoku abomination right?

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-2eOPXzuqkxJXAK9.htm

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mitsuoka is a real company. Pretty sure they're based on Nissans.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I didn't expect it to be a S13

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

I expect someone would find it awesome if you throw in a overpowering sound system.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

I didn't expect it to be a S13

Now I want to see one drifting

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dphi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2mNe_w2O08

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
edit: Nevermind, but that is perfect.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

dphi posted:

BlackMK4 posted:

edit: Nevermind, but that is perfect.

I feel like I belong here when someone else asks before I can.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

My man

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:yeshaha:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There’s no reason I should expect a lot of posts in this thread but I’m always loving psyched when there are :)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I wasn't fast enough to get a shot from a moving train, but I just spotted one of these outside someone's house:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, now I kinda want to import and LS swap one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

:getin:

:getin::getin:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 21, 2018

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Omg that mazda is beautiful. If only it had a standard transmission?

Do drivers in Japan usually buy MT transmissions?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

64bit_Dophins posted:

Most grand tourers are auto. I kills me almost all the fairlladies are auto. 99% of Soarers are auto. God

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What did it sell for? I'm looking for another 20b 3 Rotor.

*drat it. I want one now. Kaker, I may need bribe you to assist me.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 21, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I was listening to this in the car today and figured it'd probably be interesting to some of you here:

Matt Farah (The Smoking Tire) interviews a guy who runs a family business importing cars and at one time worked with Motorex. The discussion is about 50% Skyline focused but goes off on to a lot of other Japanese imports as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo4XwhGMts8

Audio-only podcast version: http://shoutengine.com/TheSmokingTire/sean-morris-of-toprank-int-veh-importers-65892

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

I wasn't fast enough to get a shot from a moving train, but I just spotted one of these outside someone's house:

Desire to know more intensifies.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
well, the yellow plate means it is a kei

e: I think it is a Honda Street

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I can't find any pictures, the closest I can see is the N-van, is that it with a body kit?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like something dream factory blow would cook up.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Might be a Mazda scrum under a bodykit but the front end is extensively reworked. I'm intrigued.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Like everdave says most GTs are automatic. There aren't many Cosmos at all that show up, that's the 4th? Maybe? I've ever seen at auction since I started. Always gorgeous though.
I personally really like the second gen Toyota Soarers, might pick one up way later just to see what their like.

the spyder posted:

What did it sell for? I'm looking for another 20b 3 Rotor.

*drat it. I want one now. Kaker, I may need bribe you to assist me.

I'm always scopin'. I'll check tomorrow to see if the sold price shows up, it's JU so should show up if it did sell.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

:aaaaa:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BlackMK4 posted:

well, the yellow plate means it is a kei

e: I think it is a Honda Street

Yeah it's this. Acty Van HH5

Looks like whatever kit is on it adds the side rakes, side marker, front stuff. Also what looks like a whole new rear too, probably in the similar way the front is a whole piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Watch the dickweeds at the port throw away the $115 BBS center cap wrench because ***~~regulations~~***