Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

CuwiKhons posted:

Our intrepid idiots have really hosed up this time.

Seven idiots and a Ship floats in a harbor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

"The Gang becomes Pirates"

"The Gang destroys the power grid"

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
Wtf is happening. Christ what a clusterfuck.

I'm so confused at what is happening and what they were even trying to in the first place.

And now everyone is getting salty.

Edit: poor Tal. He has had poo poo luck the past few sessions.

DaiJiaTeng fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 21, 2018

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
After this episode, I'll be amazed if the entire group isn't all heading deeper into chaotic rear end in a top hat

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

DaiJiaTeng posted:

Wtf is happening. Christ what a clusterfuck.

I'm so confused at what is happening and what they were even trying to in the first place.

And now everyone is getting salty.

Edit: poor Tal. He has had poo poo luck the past few sessions.

This reminds me of my group. "What the gently caress are you even trying to do" is a common question

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I learned an important lesson if I ever DM a game.

Not have a ship in a map if I'm not prepared for the party to steal it for no reason whatsoever.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010

Panderfringe posted:

This reminds me of my group. "What the gently caress are you even trying to do" is a common question

Yeah, and with Matt as the DM I think this might have big repercussions for the group. I can't see this not biting them in the rear end sooner or later.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Haha holy poo poo that was absolutely ridiculous. Everything that could have gone wrong did and somehow they still got away from the situation.

The level of unintentional chaos the M9 leaves behind them is a wonder to behold sometimes.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

At minimum, Jester’s mom is going to think she’s dead because of the guards seeing her illusion.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
That was incredible! Best ep in C2 by far, laughed so hard I got a headache.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Adnor posted:

I learned an important lesson if I ever DM a game.

Not have a ship in a map if I'm not prepared for the party to steal it for no reason whatsoever.

Or intentionally have it sit there, tempting the players. "Okay, you stole a boat, now what"

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

CuwiKhons posted:

My favorite part about all of this is that the M9 just devastated the city's infrastructure and ruined this man's life entirely because he was rude to a sex worker. Exactly what he deserved.

Slavery, yo. That power grid was both explicitly replaceable and powered by the entrapment of a sapient and free-willed being, forcing him into servitude. gently caress 'em.

Also harassing a sex worker's kinda bullshit, and Algar attacked first.

To be honest I'm baffled people are upset about the pirates either, seeing as, you know, the pirates attacked first with lethal force. gently caress 'em too. I agree it got out of hand, but it's not as if the M9 just walked up picking fights.

Honestly I do legit feel a bit bad for Tal. I hope he's still enjoying himself.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 21, 2018

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

You gotta wonder how much Matt probably had planned out on the other side of the continent in Xhorhhahrhlrghble or whatever it's called, only to have them run the other way as hard as they can and steal a boat so they can get even further away, all by accident.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Keru posted:

You gotta wonder how much Matt probably had planned out on the other side of the continent in Xhorhhahrhlrghble or whatever it's called, only to have them run the other way as hard as they can and steal a boat so they can get even further away, all by accident.

I mean, it's entirely possible the party won't actually sail out? Only one of them actually knows how to sail.

The thing is, I've noticed the M9 really are still sort of drifting about a central plot so far. They've got arcs, and hooks, but they've yet to really spot a big Arc the way, say, the Chroma Conclave was. I'm not sure if that's a consequence of their level or their natures.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Jetrauben posted:

Slavery, yo. That power grid was both explicitly replaceable and powered by the entrapment of a sapient and free-willed being, forcing him into servitude. gently caress 'em.

Also harassing a sex worker's kinda bullshit, and Algar attacked first

Oh I assure you I wasn't being sarcastic.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Jetrauben posted:

I mean, it's entirely possible the party won't actually sail out? Only one of them actually knows how to sail.

The thing is, I've noticed the M9 really are still sort of drifting about a central plot so far. They've got arcs, and hooks, but they've yet to really spot a big Arc the way, say, the Chroma Conclave was. I'm not sure if that's a consequence of their level or their natures.

Well, all glibness aside, any 'main plots' that Matt's prepared aren't going to stop happening just because the party aren't there to be involved. As for the ship, I mean they kind of destroyed, or at least damaged, the pier they took off from and it's most likely easier to just get away from Nicodranas for now. I can't see them going back anytime soon, and it'll be nice to get some adventures on the high seas.

At least they can't pick up any more animals, I think? Maybe Beau grabs an albatross....

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

CuwiKhons posted:

Oh I assure you I wasn't being sarcastic.

Ah, sorry. Depressingly, I've seen people actually going "they're turning evil and they ruined a man's life and destroyed a city infrastructure!"

Keru posted:

Well, all glibness aside, any 'main plots' that Matt's prepared aren't going to stop happening just because the party aren't there to be involved. As for the ship, I mean they kind of destroyed, or at least damaged, the pier they took off from and it's most likely easier to just get away from Nicodranas for now. I can't see them going back anytime soon, and it'll be nice to get some adventures on the high seas.

At least they can't pick up any more animals, I think? Maybe Beau grabs an albatross....

They might pull in a cove somewhere? If nothing else, a ship is a fair bit of capital they might sell and recoup.

The funny thing is that while the Sluicegate affair was illegal, I'm not sure that their defending themselves with lethal force was strictly illegal. They were, after all, attacked.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 21, 2018

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

CuwiKhons posted:

Oh yeah, they definitely made a smarter, more diplomatically capable party.

From the first page, not throwing any shade at CuwiKhons, it just tickled me that we thought these idiots were going to be smart and diplomatic compared to VM. :allears:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Keru posted:

From the first page, not throwing any shade at CuwiKhons, it just tickled me that we thought these idiots were going to be smart and diplomatic compared to VM. :allears:

On paper that statement remains true! Just not in practice.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jetrauben posted:

They might pull in a cove somewhere? If nothing else, a ship is a fair bit of capital they might sell and recoup.

The funny thing is that while the Sluicegate affair was illegal, I'm not sure that their defending themselves with lethal force was strictly illegal. They were, after all, attacked.

Being not in super hot legal water occurred to me as well, if they just stop to explain that they wanted to talk to a guy, saw him having a shady deal, and then the people attacked and they defended themselves it could work out. Pop 'em in a zone of truth and make sure their story checks out, could get away with just a fine even with as much damage as they did, if they returned the ship. Having the Ruby exert some influence probably helps get them off the hook too, and they covered their tracks decently well in the Sluice affair, although there's always a potential "cleric cast speak with dead and got descriptions of who did it" thread to be pulled if Matt wanted to, or at a higher power level scrying on blood they may have left at the scene.

Probably for the best that they skipped town all told, and I love the whole party having a town they need to be super cautious about ever visiting again instead of just Grog from the last campaign.

Travis' frustration was amazing, just watching it all go so off the rails was great too. It cracks me up that once the captain was taken out there weren't any high power threats except for the impending arrival of the guard, where diplomacy could work quite well, but nope just keep spiraling on down. Even their contact running off to the boat could have been prevented if they remembered they had reactions, either of the sentinel sisters hit him and he stops moving and you can specify non-lethal to avoid killing him.

I hadn't considered the inherent value of the ship too, even rather badly singed it seems to be seaworthy, and those suckers can easily run in the 10,000+ gp range just off the top of my head. Freedom to hit the seas also really made me smile thinking about all the rpg's I've played and how they open up once you get a ship or airship.

Definitely a fun episode and a way funner combat than usual, it was so great to see them actually kicking a fair amount of rear end but not realizing it and falling back on more and more bad in the moment decisions. My only complaint is that there was just a crap ton of metagaming going on, and I'm no Marisha hater but she seemed to be involved in a lot of it, so shame shame there.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Jetrauben posted:

Ah, sorry. Depressingly, I've seen people actually going "they're turning evil and they ruined a man's life and destroyed a city infrastructure!"

For what it's worth, my comments about them not being Lawful Good were about how brutal they were, not about why they did it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
God I'm so far from campaign 2 still. Episode 92 now. This is a fun arc so far. Keyleth having some fun with shapechange and Percy making deals. Also soul eating. I love this show.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m listening to the ep 34 podcast and what the gently caress is happening in this Beyond spot. No, seriously.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

RC Cola posted:

God I'm so far from campaign 2 still. Episode 92 now. This is a fun arc so far. Keyleth having some fun with shapechange and Percy making deals. Also soul eating. I love this show.

Nah, you're not that far. There's only 115 episodes. There was a big chunk of one shots after the first campaign ended that you could skip (although they're very good).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Do not skip Grog's One-Shot or the Honey Heist. :colbert:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Sam's the weakest of the player DMs so far in my opinion and even those one shots aren't unfun. Liam's a little up and down depending on what he's doing. Travis Grog and Marisha's games were amazing though because they just completely leaned into the insanity.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Do not skip Grog's One-Shot or the Honey Heist. :colbert:

I've watched honey heist. That's the best thing so far
Marisha is a great DM. Also Matt trinket is gold.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

So in episode 92 they didn't find the guest until the last hour lol

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

It's happening!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fght-xHAJJQ

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Are they besties in rl?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

RC Cola posted:

Are they besties in rl?

Very much so.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

RC Cola posted:

Are they besties in rl?

Yes, they've been best friends for years apparently. This show, "All Work No Play", is based on a podcast that they used to infrequently put out. In some of the old episodes you can hear them discuss before and then after the first session of the group that would years later become Critical Role. Sam had never played before and Liam hadn't played in years.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Here they are describing the experience, with some game audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8W9tTMbaOw

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RC Cola posted:

Are they besties in rl?

The entire cast is besties IRL. They regularly hang out when they have free time, including going to the local ren fair every year (Travis is very good at the hammer game, obviously). They also posted a screenshot back in campaign one showing that they have a text group chat. Sam and Liam are just probably the closest out of the non-married couples, though Travis also said that he knew Sam was planning something with the blood tubes because he wouldn't let Travis hug him before the show and that's unusual.

It's the real reason I get into the show so much. The acting and creativity are good as well, but the entire cast being close friends gives it a dynamic that would be missing from a different show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

Sam's the weakest of the player DMs so far in my opinion and even those one shots aren't unfun. Liam's a little up and down depending on what he's doing. Travis Grog and Marisha's games were amazing though because they just completely leaned into the insanity.

I dunno, I liked Sam's first go because he didn't think about how much of a clusterfuck the barfight was going to be until he was already running it, and Liam just cackles when he realises Sam's running like 30 NPCs in this map.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Sam and Liam are ... married

:colbert:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I dunno, I liked Sam's first go because he didn't think about how much of a clusterfuck the barfight was going to be until he was already running it, and Liam just cackles when he realises Sam's running like 30 NPCs in this map.

That's kind of what I meant. Sam's the least experienced and most easily confused DM, but it's super fun to watch. Liam's actually my least favorite DM, even though he's better at it than Sam.

chitoryu12 posted:

The entire cast is besties IRL. They regularly hang out when they have free time, including going to the local ren fair every year (Travis is very good at the hammer game, obviously). They also posted a screenshot back in campaign one showing that they have a text group chat. Sam and Liam are just probably the closest out of the non-married couples, though Travis also said that he knew Sam was planning something with the blood tubes because he wouldn't let Travis hug him before the show and that's unusual.

It's the real reason I get into the show so much. The acting and creativity are good as well, but the entire cast being close friends gives it a dynamic that would be missing from a different show.

Yeah the cast closeness is so good. Brian Foster's the only person on the show who has a tumblr where he posts anything and I follow it because the only thing he posts are stuff like pictures from the various shenanigans they get up to. Some time earlier this year, the entire cast went on a group camping trip and they stayed in a cabin for a few days. Like, all of them. It was cute.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

On 94 now. The entire last arc was amazing. That was almost a campaign ender.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Btw, Sam's one-shot is happening right now and matt and marisha raccoons are my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

"it's 2018, interspecies relationships are way more common now, GET WOKE"