Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
was somewhat hilarious fighting crack US army forces my guys couldn't hit poo poo, couldn't spot poo poo, the only times they actually killed anyone was with RPG-7. Mostly was "run conscripts into death trap, mortar/auto GL the gently caress out of death trap, repeat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LogisticEarth posted:

Actually, on scouting in CM, I usually have good success with using overwatch and preventative area fire. If something fires at your guys, generally it gets spotted quickly, and taken out.

My real frustration with CM (Red Thunder specifically) is dealing with buildings. You can pump a fair amount of suppression fire into a building, have overwatching units...and some little gently caress with a PPSh will break from suppression just long enough to spray your entire squad as the approach. So incredibly frustrating. There's no way to really clear buildings well aside from just blasting the gently caress out of them and hoping the guys inside break.
Solution: Play as the Soviets.

Baloogan posted:

playing as russians in a CMBS PBEM I had a company of conscripts whcih in my mind were donesk irregulars
I think there's a mod for that.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

The best way to play combat mission is to be like the squad at the end of full metal jacket and just shoot the gently caress out of everything even if you only have one scout guy moving forward.

Even if you just target the open ground in front of you, your bullets will go flying and ricocheting all over the place and they will cause casualties in ways you will never anticipate. I've seen guys get hit by bullets ricocheting off of buildings and flying into alleyways where they were completely out of the line of fire. Artillery shelling can also cause casualties from hundreds of meters away.

The ballistics simulation is one of the best parts of CM imo. It's hilarious when you see a group of guys start getting hit by bullets raining down from the sky from a completely separate firefight way on the other side of the map.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The auto GLs and autocannons of modern war make ricochets really hilarious also sad

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ivan Shitskin posted:

The best way to play combat mission is to be like the squad at the end of full metal jacket and just shoot the gently caress out of everything even if you only have one scout guy moving forward.

Even if you just target the open ground in front of you, your bullets will go flying and ricocheting all over the place and they will cause casualties in ways you will never anticipate. I've seen guys get hit by bullets ricocheting off of buildings and flying into alleyways where they were completely out of the line of fire. Artillery shelling can also cause casualties from hundreds of meters away.

The ballistics simulation is one of the best parts of CM imo. It's hilarious when you see a group of guys start getting hit by bullets raining down from the sky from a completely separate firefight way on the other side of the map.
So you're saying you're Animal Mother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5mgp2MWgDw&t=16s

Not a bad playstyle imo

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Recon by fire is the best definitely.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I can't stress enough how fun autoGLs are in CM. Don't put them in buildings (3+ minute setup times???). MGs pin, AGLs just.... destroy.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Dandywalken posted:

Recon by fire is the best definitely.

What happens if the scenario designer puts a ton of "preserve" objectives on the map?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Davin Valkri posted:

What happens if the scenario designer puts a ton of "preserve" objectives on the map?
Pfft. So the scenario designer says you suffered a "major defeat" -- but did you really?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Pfft. So the scenario designer says you suffered a "major defeat" -- but did you really?

This. Also I deem the designer a coward.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I love smashing all the fuckin buildings with 105mm Shermans and whatever else they give me. There's always some fucker in it, and he always has a Panzerfaust and an MG 42 and will just wreck your entire poo poo in a second if you let him.

The way I learned about vehicle ammo cookoffs not being cosmetic but actually causing damage was the same way I learn everything else in this game, ie by losing most of a platoon to it. But yeah, that and the ricochets are really neat. Lots of cool little stuff.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 17, 2018

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm sure the Shock Force 2 demo they said was right around the corner on August 8th is gonna be here any day guys

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Ivan Shitskin posted:

This works somewhat for quick battles or in MP, but most of the campaigns are annoying and don't refit your ammo between missions.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
At least in the ww2 ones fanatical conscripts are actually really great troops so long as they aren't driving a tank or aiming a gun with limited ammo. I had a lot of fun with those.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I’ve been tempted to give SH4 another go lately, but sorting out mods and stuff... :effort:

Speaking of subs anyone seen any recent news about Uboot or whatever that one game in dev is called?

Latest dev update is here, and it's really loving pretty,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLsEHx-flHE

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

A KickStarter game than has greatly expanded it's scope but actually looks like it might pull it off? Well I'll be damned.

Seriously though, I've been really looking forward to Uboat it's really shaping up to be something cool

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
A job I had some years ago had a coworker who was an M249 gunner. He had one of the only bumper stickers I've enjoyed: "Accuracy by volume."

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

mllaneza posted:

I haven't read that much about this game but I gotta say the first-person and FTL-esque aspects of it make me real skeptical. Not that the game couldn't pull it off, but it seems like it has the potential to be a huge pain in the rear end.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I believe you have the option to play first person but you can also just play it like a management sim with the submarine as a cutout maybe similar to Bomber Crew.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Oh man that looks sick

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Bomber Crew But A Submarine This Time would be fun, sure.

Speaking of Bomber Crew, any sign of that B-17 DLC?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

mllaneza posted:

"It looks that Dietrich decided to make a breat during his duty"

lol :(

I think the first person stuff looks cool, I would play it just to wander around the sub for a while.

e: Love the smooth map zoom from 3d models to icons at ~2:30 too.

fuf fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 18, 2018

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Bold Robot posted:

I haven't read that much about this game but I gotta say the first-person and FTL-esque aspects of it make me real skeptical. Not that the game couldn't pull it off, but it seems like it has the potential to be a huge pain in the rear end.

My, albeit limited, impression was that the game was a legit u-boat sim a la Silent Hunter, with crew management, which would significantly add to the immersion.

I did not think it was intended to be dumb (and I mean this in the cookie cutter rock-paper-scissors way of FTL combat) like FTL.

Maybe I am totally wrong. Can someone who knows more tell us if this is a real sub-sim or something else?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
sub beats ship
ship beats um, airplane
airplane beats sub

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Baloogan posted:

sub beats ship
ship beats um, airplane
airplane beats sub

sub... eats man
woman inherits the earth

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Baloogan posted:

sub beats ship
ship beats um, airplane
airplane beats sub

this is an excerpt from an interwar naval debate at somebody's staff college though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
subs go up
subs go down
you can't explain that

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Popete posted:

A KickStarter game than has greatly expanded it's scope but actually looks like it might pull it off? Well I'll be damned.

They got picked up by a publisher, so they have more resource - like a QA department -now, that's probably going to help.

Even if the game sucks I'll probably use it like a screensaver, because drat that's pretty.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Before I make a regrettable purchase, does CM: Red Thunder really have no German campaign?

I mean, honestly... of all the things that happened on the Eastern Front during the Second World War, Bagration was such a one-sided poo poo fest for the Germans, it seems like an odd choice for Battlefront to choose it as the subject of a CM game.

gently caress, the Oder-Neisse offensive and the battle of Berlin were less one sided (the Wehrmacht inflicted over a million casualties on the Soviets from the beginning of the Oder-Neisse offensive until May 8th, 1945).

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

ZombieLenin posted:

Before I make a regrettable purchase, does CM: Red Thunder really have no German campaign?

I mean, honestly... of all the things that happened on the Eastern Front during the Second World War, Bagration was such a one-sided poo poo fest for the Germans, it seems like an odd choice for Battlefront to choose it as the subject of a CM game.

gently caress, the Oder-Neisse offensive and the battle of Berlin were less one sided (the Wehrmacht inflicted over a million casualties on the Soviets from the beginning of the Oder-Neisse offensive until May 8th, 1945).

It does have a German campaign, a large BN size mechanized unit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
can I get some advice on how to play Close Combat? I try to practice proper fire-and-maneuver tactics, which has worked well enough in many a CM game, but I try to translate it to CC and I just get slaughtered without even getting close.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

My man have you considered bringing more tanks.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also mortar the poo poo out of everything.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

It does have a German campaign, a large BN size mechanized unit.

Yeah there are two campaigns and one of them is German. It is difficult to miss.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Alchenar posted:

Yeah there are two campaigns and one of them is German. It is difficult to miss.

Okay. I have not purchased it, and I had read (or maybe watched on youtube) a review that states quite clearly “there are two Russian campaigns, but you can play the Germans in quick battles and multiplayer.”

I was just trying to confirm if that was actually the case.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

Correct answer.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

ZombieLenin posted:

Okay. I have not purchased it, and I had read (or maybe watched on youtube) a review that states quite clearly “there are two Russian campaigns, but you can play the Germans in quick battles and multiplayer.”

I was just trying to confirm if that was actually the case.

There's a few pretty decent community made German campaigns as well.

Man I wish I had time for a good MP game of Red Thunder.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Popete posted:

This is correct. Then switch to smoke to advance.

I'm doing a mega campaign on YouTube atm, if you've not seen it already.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
With everyone talking about suicide scout teams, I wondet what would be the realistic/true to doctrine approach carried out in the tools CM provides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
According to WW2 Soviet doctrine, have your battalion commander do the scouting