Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like the Fire Nation is the only really homogenous nation in the show. The others have a lot of variation. I have a bad eye for race though, so I can't tell you for certain. I don't know if I've ever seen a live-action American show with the level of non-white (as well as non-black for that matter) ethnic representation in the Avatar cartoon, so it might be getting your hopes up too much to expect Netflix to duplicate that, especially with specific ethnic differentiation between different types of east asian that most Americans wouldn't even be able to find on a map.

I don't resent them trying to make Avatar into a franchise to last until the end of time, but a direct remake seems like a lame idea. It's got the issue with prequels where you already know how the story's going to end, except instead you know every beat of the story. The writers of Avatar loving loved shipping to an uncomfortable degree, how are they going to pull that off now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Swamp Tribe should be played by Cajuns.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like the Fire Nation is the only really homogenous nation in the show. The others have a lot of variation. I have a bad eye for race though, so I can't tell you for certain. I don't know if I've ever seen a live-action American show with the level of non-white (as well as non-black for that matter) ethnic representation in the Avatar cartoon, so it might be getting your hopes up too much to expect Netflix to duplicate that, especially with specific ethnic differentiation between different types of east asian that most Americans wouldn't even be able to find on a map.

I don't resent them trying to make Avatar into a franchise to last until the end of time, but a direct remake seems like a lame idea. It's got the issue with prequels where you already know how the story's going to end, except instead you know every beat of the story. The writers of Avatar loving loved shipping to an uncomfortable degree, how are they going to pull that off now?

Yeah, since the original creators are involved it's bound to be better than the Shamaylan version but all the same I would have honestly preferred that if they were going to bring the franchise back in a non-comic book form they'd probably be better off just making a brand new series rather than trying to rehash the original again.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah I'd be hype for Avatar: Adventures of an Earthbender in the modern age.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Senerio posted:

Yeah I'd be hype for Avatar: Adventures of an Earthbender in the modern age.

They could even bring Korra back as the new Avatar's spirit guide (mostly because I think it would be funny to see her try to give advice).

"Have you tried punching it? Like, really hard?.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 20, 2018

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
it'd be a funny buddy cop show, especially if the Avatar was super book smart.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T73h5bmD8Dc

Okay then, we have some hint of a plot. And a couple of jokes that work. Not bad from a trailer.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Larryb posted:

Yeah, since the original creators are involved it's bound to be better than the Shamaylan version but all the same I would have honestly preferred that if they were going to bring the franchise back in a non-comic book form they'd probably be better off just making a brand new series rather than trying to rehash the original again.

I do think that even if they did people would just hone in on any vague similarity and be like "This is just avatar again!!!!" anyway, but I would have preferred a new premise designed for live action.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It could also be a drastically changed what-if retelling, like Zuko's the one to find Aang instead of Katara. He was actually pretty close too!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'd be okay with the live action version only if they go full meta and have an Ember Island Players episode featuring the VA cast of ATLA. I wanna see live action Zuko get increasingly annoyed with Dante Basco shouting about honor. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

amigolupus posted:

I'd be okay with the live action version only if they go full meta and have an Ember Island Players episode featuring the VA cast of ATLA. I wanna see live action Zuko get increasingly annoyed with Dante Basco shouting about honor. :allears:

In related news, Dante Basco has become a fine rear end daddy. :swoon:

https://twitter.com/dantebasco/status/1041488394864525312

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

amigolupus posted:

They should cast the cast of the Shyamalan film for this.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Payndz posted:

Show creator: our episodes are written so that viewers can get an overall feel for the developing story without needing to worry about specific continuity.
Show's home network: [schedules what's reportedly the third episode of a three-episode arc before the first two]

Miraculoooooooooooous.

I bet Thomas is blowing a fuse over this one :allears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0PAIkQaalo (big spoilers for Miraculous, but unrelated to the 3-parter)

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Larryb posted:

This has been brought up elsewhere, but I kind of see why they did it like this. If they (Viacom and Netflix) want to make a franchise out of Avatar, then they kind of need a starting point. ATLA finished airing ten years ago, it's kind of faded from public consciousness but still has a dedicated fanbase and the kids who would've been watching it back then are now all grown up. It makes sense to remake something that already is popular and works from a storytelling perspective, rather than risk it with a whole new series with new characters, setting and everything.

Plus live action is way more popular than animation, due to the latter's reputation as being for the kids. Remaking one of the highest rated animated shows of all time in live action has potential to bring in viewers who wouldn't care otherwise. Now, theoretically they could've probably remade Korra instead. That show has various issues with its storytelling that a remake could fix, is pretty well-received and the characters are mostly older which eliminates a lot of issues with casting. But realistically it's still too new for a remake, and isn't considered an all time classic like ATLA is, so it's not really an option.

Live action is also the only option for a remake, since ATLA is too new to be remade in its original medium. The other option of CGI is very expensive and still has the problem of limiting audience interest. ATLA the original already cost a million dollars per episode averaged over a season, so financially a noticeably more expensive live action show actually makes more sense than a new animated series, because a new show would probably cost much more with the same production values, while not likely being any more popular.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 21, 2018

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I bet Thomas is blowing a fuse over this one :allears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0PAIkQaalo (big spoilers for Miraculous, but unrelated to the 3-parter)

It's gotta be a dream, right?

They wouldn't show that if it wasn't a dream.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Senerio posted:

It's gotta be a dream, right?

They wouldn't show that if it wasn't a dream.
Although the rest of the trailer has a dejected Adrien exchanging roses with Kagami and Marinette having the love-bubbles background with Luka, so either it's all monumental misdirection by the trailer team or Astruc was flat-out fibbing when he recently said that the love square was key to the show and wasn't going to change.

At least the production order has now been officially listed, so continuity-wise we know when things are supposed to happen.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
We at least know we have yet to see any of the post-Frozer episodes so it can happen but I'm still skeptical.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This show seems like a real fuckin' pain in the rear end to watch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The animation in the dragon prince loving sucks it’s like 5-10 FPS and it’s just so jarring

Like the show itself is fine I guess but the animation turns me off super hard

ATLA was often like that too outside of action sequences.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rn im just snacking on spoilers and waiting for the netflix dump in 2019.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

This show seems like a real fuckin' pain in the rear end to watch.
It's a total throwback to tv networks loving over series'that by showing poo poo out of order.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FilthyImp posted:

It's a total throwback to tv networks loving over series'that by showing poo poo out of order.
Except now it's about 12 networks in 6 languages doing it. Globalism!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's been happening to every cartoon out right now to some extent. Delays and shuffles are the status quo now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I dread going into the SU thread, but it's the best place to aggregate news. Any new episodes announced/aired since the White Diamond one?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I dread going into the SU thread, but it's the best place to aggregate news. Any new episodes announced/aired since the White Diamond one?

I have the same fears as you, but I don't think so, no.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Search your feelings. You already know the answer.

(The biggest news was a random tweet from an animator being excited that they'd been hired to work on SU, thereby confirming that it's not dead or wrapped up yet)

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Currently watching Hilda on Netflix. There's a slight gravity falls/adventure time weirdness to the show without the animation production but it's still entertaining.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Milo Murphy's Law continues to be pretty well thought-out and balancing episodic structure and continuity well. A good chunk of the Tri-State Area's population being descended from stranded time travellers explains a lot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rise of the TMNT is the greatest exploration of these characters because there was a wrestling episode and they made Leo into John Cena and Raph into Kaine. This show is art.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something annoying with Milo Murphy is that episode 5b is not available anywhere because the countries that have been airing season 2 didn't air it due to a character dressing in drag being the main plot.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hey so I never saw the Teen Titans Go movie in theaters, so now I'm waiting for it to come out online, and I happened to come across these two songs on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6vGFXdnrAA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh1OxTdPzzA

Is... is Teen Titans Go a MUSICAL?? Because both of those songs are absolutely stellar and I hope there's more of them

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Macaluso posted:

Hey so I never saw the Teen Titans Go movie in theaters, so now I'm waiting for it to come out online, and I happened to come across these two songs on youtube:

Is... is Teen Titans Go a MUSICAL?? Because both of those songs are absolutely stellar and I hope there's more of them

Teen Titans Go isn't a musical in the since that Phineas and Ferb always sing at least once an episode, but they do songs often enough that there must be at least 50 by now.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oh I specifically meant the movie itself

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s kind of a musical?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Macaluso posted:

Because both of those songs are absolutely stellar and I hope there's more of them

Really? They seem pretty forgettable to me. Must be a taste thing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Not a musical, but it has like six or seven musical numbers.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Hilda seems to be out. Any trip report?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Argue posted:

very cute and well-animated thus far. funny, too.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Argue posted:

It’s basically a short from a Flight graphic novel expanded into a full series. It’s cute and well animated but not particularly innovative or challenging. I’m not hating it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Macaluso posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH6IBef79HA

The video for An Upbeat Inspirational Song About Life is so much awesome.