Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It means ‘come on, let’s go/hurry up’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teek posted:

It's her kink now, kinks are cool.

[Ray Davies, Dave Davies and two others like this]

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

thrawn527 posted:

It sounds more like, "Let's get a shift on." Which...doesn't sound like familiar slang to me, but who knows what you crazy English people say.

It's a very common phrase in the UK

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
She should've just said "shift your lazy arses" just to eliminate any confusion.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Rhyno posted:

Did they change the TARDIS sounds???

Seems like and I have to admit I like it a lot. It makes it sound more alien and slightly creepy.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Teek posted:

It's "Let's get poo poo on". It's her kink now, kinks are cool.

Doctor Who Series 11 (Season 37): Let’s get poo poo on

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I know I'm in the minority, bu that trailer was bad, and I blame the loving song for most of that.

I still think Jodi W. will make a good Doctor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Here’s a version of the trailer without the music:
https://www.facebook.com/ABCTV/videos/480106912488990/

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The_Doctor posted:

Here’s a version of the trailer without the music:
https://www.facebook.com/ABCTV/videos/480106912488990/

Wow. Like 100 times better. They should have an age check on the YouTube channel and if you’re over 30 it plays this version instead.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Barry Foster posted:

It's a very common phrase in the UK

I figured it was some UK version of, "Let's get to work", I had just never heard it before. It works.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TL posted:

Doctor Who premieres on the 7th.

I'm getting married on the 6th.

I think that's going to be a good weekend.

Congratulations! Take a moment to enjoy it, just with you and your spouse, sometime when you have a second. Weddings can be such a blur, it's nice to kind of just look at each other and say "Hey, we got married!" :)

I don't hate the music in the trailer, but it feels sort of awkwardly inserted. It sounds like the kind of thing you build to, which isn't great for something that lasts less than five minutes. Other than that, it's a good trailer though, lots of bright colors, high energy. Jodie just makes you want to hear and see more of her and she really feels like the Doctor.

I'd say I'm looking forward to the premiere, but it also coincides with the end of my paternity leave, so, well, mixed feelings.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

We've seen the new Tardis, yeah? That trailer gave me the impression they're going to be using that spaceship as a replacement. Especially the bit where she snaps her fingers and the next clip is the ship materialising. Maybe relocating the tardis is a season long thing?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TL posted:

I'm getting married on the 6th.

Congratulations! :)

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Edward Mass posted:

I hope we get another trailer soon, because I can’t think of a good subtitle quote for the next thread.

You could break the seal and sample some comments sections for anything Nu-Who related

Doctor Who: lol male or female, this show sucks

Doctor Who: The only problem I have with the doctor being a woman is the timing

Doctor Who: Trek had subtilty in how it addressed these issues

Doctor Who: I would have been perfectly happy with a black Doctor. Hell, I'd even go for an Asian Doctor.

some of these are probably too long, and I might have given myself an aneurysm looking at them so uh actually don't take my suggestion and for god's sakes don't follow my example

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Doctor Who: The only problem I have with the doctor being a woman is the timing

Now, I think this one has merit. The timing is terrible! It's far too late and should've been done a whole lot earlier!

Though, better late than never.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Doctor Who: Trek had subtilty in how it addressed these issues

BWAHAHAHAHA! :roflolmao:

I'm probably a bigger Trekkie than Whovian and Trek has almost NEVER been subtle, and it 100% has never been so with regards to race or gender.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha, yeah when I read that Star Trek was subtle I can only think of this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi7QQ5pO7_A&t=144s

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Thought that was going to be a clip from TNG where they ran into the Planet of the Irish

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I like my science fiction aggressively progressive and preachy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Doctor Who: The only problem timing I have with the doctor being a woman is the

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
"It's about time" is such a genius tag line for this season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I like my science fiction aggressively progressive and preachy.

Optimistic and fun for me, all day every day.

It's part of the reason I enjoyed TNG and DS9 so much: they explored some dark themes (DS9 particularly) but always had a sense that things were going to eventually get better. Doctor Who (apart from some dark times in the 80s) largely embraces the poo poo out of that idea, and is part of the reason I love it so much.

Shneak posted:

"It's about time" is such a genius tag line for this season.

:hai:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

It's part of the reason I enjoyed TNG and DS9 so much: they explored some dark themes (DS9 particularly) but always had a sense that things were going to eventually get better. Doctor Who (apart from some dark times in the 80s) largely embraces the poo poo out of that idea, and is part of the reason I love it so much.

One of my favourite quick Eccelston scenes is in End of the world when he has a quick moment with Rose talking about how most humans never properly imagine the possibility that our species survives and thrives into the far future.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, yeah when I read that Star Trek was subtle I can only think of this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi7QQ5pO7_A&t=144s

It's not subtle, but that's the point. Or maybe it was, and we're viewing it from the present day and not in the time period it was aired--I first saw it as a kid in the 80s, so even I would never have understood the context it would have had airing in 60s America.

It could have been subtle and subversive for the time, only someone from that era who saw it originally could speak to that. I prefer to think of it as purposefully blunt, and imagine it being blatantly mocking of racists pretty much to their face in the late 60s, "Do you realize how loving stupid you sound?" LIke I doubt some racist redneck in 1968 would watch it and have an epiphany, but he sure as might get pissed that he was being made fun of which is also pretty good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm not saying it's bad! The bluntness is part of what makes it so effective ("look, this is as stupid as you are being when you say people with brown skin are inferior. That's stupid!"). I'm just saying it's ridiculous to claim Star Trek was ever subtle about this stuff, because it sure as hell wasn't. It also made very blunt comparisons to the stupidity and childishness of the cold war (even if the Klingons/Communists were always shown to be largely in the wrong), and featured the first I'm aware of televised kiss between an interracial couple - but it was NEVER subtle about it.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
look, Trek may have have lacked subtlety but it had plenty of... uh... subtilty

those were all JUST from the “Who” Showrunner Demanded A Female Doctor thing, by the way, I thought about venturing into some YouTube comments for variety but I'm not going to punish myself that much for a joke

if you're wondering if awful people are still mad about Whittaker, please, let me assuage your fears: hell yeah

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
If your Doctor Who-viewing is explicitly determined by the Doctor's gender, you're not really a Doctor Who fan. When I say that, I'm not just referring to people who plan to stop watching DW because of a female Doctor, I'm also talking about people who plan to START watching DW because of a female Doctor. You should want to watch DW based on the quality of story and acting, not because of the Doctor's gender. It's why I find it promising that Chibnall didn't specify the 13th Doctor's gender for his writers, not just because of the obvious writing down of the character as a cootie-haver, but also because I don't want a Joss Whedonesque Strong Female Lead.

A good example I'd give is Starbuck in the 2003 version of Battlestar Galactica. She's a three-dimensional character who is not defined by her gender, despite the fact the 1978 Starbuck was played by a man.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The weirdest Who take I read the other day on a Facebook comment was “In the 60s this show was really progressive now it’s only interested in SJW virtue signalling.” I sat there for a couple of minutes trying to wrap my head around that one. :psyduck:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

The weirdest Who take I read the other day on a Facebook comment was “In the 60s this show was really progressive now it’s only interested in SJW virtue signalling.” I sat there for a couple of minutes trying to wrap my head around that one. :psyduck:

In the 60s the show was very progressive, but that doesn't mean it should be progressive NOW. Won't someone think of *my* needs? Jeez.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The only Doctor Who media I consume is the tv show, the audios, this thread and Radio Free Skaro.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

Radio Free Skaro.

After Genesis, I hope that at least one of the Daleks who got trapped down in that bunker decided to cheer up the others by running their own morning radio show.

"GOOD MORNING SKARO! IT IS GOOD BECAUSE ALL INFERIOR LIFEFORMS HAVE BEEN EXTERMINATED!"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Edward Mass posted:

If your Doctor Who-viewing is explicitly determined by the Doctor's gender, you're not really a Doctor Who fan. When I say that, I'm not just referring to people who plan to stop watching DW because of a female Doctor, I'm also talking about people who plan to START watching DW because of a female Doctor. You should want to watch DW based on the quality of story and acting, not because of the Doctor's gender. It's why I find it promising that Chibnall didn't specify the 13th Doctor's gender for his writers, not just because of the obvious writing down of the character as a cootie-haver, but also because I don't want a Joss Whedonesque Strong Female Lead.

A good example I'd give is Starbuck in the 2003 version of Battlestar Galactica. She's a three-dimensional character who is not defined by her gender, despite the fact the 1978 Starbuck was played by a man.

My counterpoint to this would be the little girl/teenager who sees a trailer or commercial and says “I want to watch HER.”

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Wheat Loaf posted:

[Ray Davies, Dave Davies and two others like this]

There've been more Kinks than Doctors -- Ray's sacked so many over the years that there are tribute bands comprised solely of cast off Kinks. including the one called Kast-Off Kinks :guitar:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ms Boods posted:

There've been more Kinks than Doctors -- Ray's sacked so many over the years that there are tribute bands comprised solely of cast off Kinks. including the one called Kast-Off Kinks :guitar:

The only one I can remember is Mick Avory and I don't remember if he was the drummer or the bassist. I can't remember who the fourth original Kink was and I can remember all five original Yardbirds and the original line-up of Manfred Mann. :(

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Edward Mass posted:

I hope we get another trailer soon, because I can’t think of a good subtitle quote for the next thread.

Honestly the quote in the title of the spoiler thread (Change my dear, and not a moment too soon) is p perfect

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think, at least to start with, it works drat well to just use 'It's About Time'.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I think, at least to start with, it works drat well to just use 'It's About Time'.

It just puts me in mind of the TV Movie trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1x4YzkeQEI

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

CobiWann posted:

My counterpoint to this would be the little girl/teenager who sees a trailer or commercial and says “I want to watch HER.”

Well, that is a child/teenager, and I don’t trust their opinions on pop culture one way or the other.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
As another counterpoint, I lost interest in the show around the halfway point of Capaldis first season partly due to the toxicity of the fanbase and partly due to falling behind and not having the desire to catch up, and I'm only just getting back into it because oh hey the new doctor is a woman and that was interesting enough to draw me back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Senerio posted:

As another counterpoint, I lost interest in the show around the halfway point of Capaldis first season partly due to the toxicity of the fanbase and partly due to falling behind and not having the desire to catch up, and I'm only just getting back into it because oh hey the new doctor is a woman and that was interesting enough to draw me back in.

YMMV, but I consider Who fandom to be a lot less toxic than most other nerd fanbases, like Trek and comics.

• Locked thread