Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I was worried for a moment because the original GalCiv looks similar to a 4X game I used to play (though it also looks similar to every other 1990s 4X space game). Fortunately I finally remembered the name of that one, Ascendancy, so I'm in the clear. Good game, albeit easy (designing AI is hard).

Shiit I loved Ascendancy as a kid, it was the first 4X I managed to win (cause yeah easy).

Loved those weird amoeba dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

I was worried for a moment because the original GalCiv looks similar to a 4X game I used to play (though it also looks similar to every other 1990s 4X space game). Fortunately I finally remembered the name of that one, Ascendancy, so I'm in the clear. Good game, albeit easy (designing AI is hard).

Released on the ipad in 2011, if you care.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Oh wow, I got a notification that the Retronauts DVDs are shipping out! I didn't think I ever get that.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

So Consortium: The Tower just posted an update after a long period of silence. In their e-mail they talk about how they've been doing projects to get a bigger budget to finish the game, and in their video update they show off a voice recognition thing and I'm trying to figure out if they're getting paid for product placement or if they've decided to add something costly and time-intensive that nobody wanted, which seems to be a thing that befalls some kickstarter projects.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Danaru posted:

I miss Space Empires :smith: I know that's barely related to the current topic but Space Empires 5 had so much goddamn freedom held back by a ton of jank. It barely works on anything past windows XP anymore though.
I didn't like how everything took so much more time to do in Space Empires V than in IV.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RottenK posted:

its a perfectly fine game it just doesn't have anything special going for it

Also had the misfortune to release when a bunch of similar but better games like Hollow Knight and Dead Cells were really hot.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RottenK posted:

its a perfectly fine game it just doesn't have anything special going for it

No, it's actually pretty bad. Not terrible, but definitely not good.

The procedurally generated map is complete poo poo and produces boring, long, straight corridors 90% of the time, the manually-designed rooms are mostly some variation on "do some dodgy platforming to jump all the way to the left, then up one level, then all the way to the right, and repeat this 2-3 times," the randomised upgrade order feels bad, and the backdash is so slow and has so much recovery that it's unusable.

The game's a waste of nice sprites. :(

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yep, that's my take on Chasm, too. You only need to add in a little "if you're going to do a mechanic for mechanic remake of Symphony of the Night, you better somehow make those mechanics feel better than they did in SotN."

All game designers, and all artists for that matter, need to answer the same question before buckling down on production: why should my audience play my game (or listen to my music, watch my movie, read my book, etc.) when they can play what inspired me instead?

Playing Chasm felt like playing a slightly worse version than SotN, a game that's old enough to drink. It didn't give me any real reason to play it over SotN outside of the admittedly great art and novelty. I had my fun with it, didn't wind up beating it, and probably wont pick it up again.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

OutOfPrint posted:

All game designers, and all artists for that matter, need to answer the same question before buckling down on production: why should my audience play my game (or listen to my music, watch my movie, read my book, etc.) when they can play what inspired me instead?

QFT and wisdom.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/richardcobbett/status/1042505343182483462

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeaaaaaah, they've been at almost 50% for a while now. They got a lot of publicity right at the start, so I have a feeling that they got the attention of about as much of their potential audience as they were gonna. They'll need to pull a miracle out of their rear end to make it, IMO.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/753131002/nighthawks-the-vampire-rpg-0/#chart-exp-projection

Encased, on the other hand, started out modestly but hasn't stopped getting pledges. (Most of today's big bump was someone (I suspect Larian - they did that before) going for the big $5k pledge, but they're doing well backer-wise even without that.) I am cautiously optimistic about them crawling over the finish line:

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/darkcrystalgames/encased-old-school-isometic-turn-based-rpg/#chart-exp-projection

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Skyscraper posted:

So Consortium: The Tower just posted an update after a long period of silence. In their e-mail they talk about how they've been doing projects to get a bigger budget to finish the game, and in their video update they show off a voice recognition thing and I'm trying to figure out if they're getting paid for product placement or if they've decided to add something costly and time-intensive that nobody wanted, which seems to be a thing that befalls some kickstarter projects.

It doesn't help that I went into their discord and it was loving toxic mess.

But it sucks that Nighthawks is getting the White Wolf curse.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/The_Doddler/status/1042660276066115584

"oh a srpg that looks neat..." /scrolls down

:stare:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I need to know what Zack Parsons and Peter from J-List think, first.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Asylum posted a new public update. (I'm not a backer so I don't have access to any private ones on Kickstarter).

It's still a long way from being finished, and not even in beta, but hey, they have something that they're calling it "vertical slice" now " (not so sure it actually is), so that's good...?
https://twitter.com/Senscape/status/1042526287624105984

From Sescape's Facebook page comments:

quote:

As of recently we have a feature complete playable segment of the game (the first 1-2 hours). It's commonly called a vertical slice. This means all the features and systems we need to finish Asylum (dialogues, inventory, exploration, menu, etc) are nearly complete. We say "nearly" because there's obviously tweaks and improvements needed before we can declare gold status.

Just as well, most graphics, characters, items and assets in general are done. From now on, all that remains is implementing puzzles, interactions, and details such as easter eggs. It's still a lot of work, but nothing compared to the huge requirements we had until recently. We think this can be done relatively quickly.

All in all, we're months from reaching solid beta status, after which we'll be able to confirm a more accurate deadline. We believe we can unleash the horror sometime next year

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So what's the consensus on best Kickstarted game thus far? I'm thinking it goes to one of HBS' projects... Battletech is super polished, but really everything they've done has been great. That or Shovel Knight.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I haven't played it but my gut feeling says Divinity: Original Sin 2

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Undertale has to be the biggest success story in terms of ROI, at least. Asked for 5k, got 50k, made eight digits.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, its Undertale.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Undertale.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hyper light drifter has got to be up there.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kennel posted:

I haven't played it but my gut feeling says Divinity: Original Sin 2

It's this.

Groovelord Neato posted:

hyper light drifter has got to be up there.

It's close. Also great.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I'd agree with Undertale, but I've really enjoyed Pillars of Eternity 1/2. Plus Obsidian might have gone under without that first successful Kickstarter campaign.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Obsidian owner are real shitlords apparently, but the people actually making the games seem like good folk and I've yet to play a game they made I haven't enjoyed, including and especially pillars. I haven't played undertale tho, doesn't seem like my kind of thing.

Divinity is even better I hear, but I keep playing lovely online games so I haven't gotten around to playing those yet.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Crabtree posted:

It doesn't help that I went into their discord and it was loving toxic mess.

Oooh, interesting, can you say more?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Truga posted:

Obsidian owner are real shitlords apparently, but the people actually making the games seem like good folk and I've yet to play a game they made I haven't enjoyed, including and especially pillars. I haven't played undertale tho, doesn't seem like my kind of thing.

Divinity is even better I hear, but I keep playing lovely online games so I haven't gotten around to playing those yet.

Undertale is a good experience and worth the :10bux: it costs. Clever game with some good humor and it doesn't overstay its welcome. I would recommend giving it a shot.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I recently bought it since it was on sale, I'll probably give it a shot this weekend.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Truga posted:

Obsidian owner are real shitlords apparently,

The person claiming that comes off as a bit of an rear end in a top hat, so i would take his comments with a grain of salt. Also if i remember correctly he said that in an interview with RPGcodex which is not exactly the group of people i would want to associate with, if i were to trying to come off as the good guy.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Definitely take anything Avellone says with a grain of salt, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that the people running Obsidian are not good at it. The company has been on the verge of bankruptcy multiple times, is constantly having projects cancelled out from under them (Obsidian always blames the publisher but as a studio they obviously have problems delivering on schedule or within budget), and their development methodology seems insanely disorganized (take Alpha Protocol, which apparently had no project leads until halfway through development, causing them to have to start over from scratch).

I love Obsidian games and Rope Kid as much as the next goon but there's definitely issues with the leadership from an outside perspective.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I think Undertale's my favorite, but Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, Factorio (technically Indiegogo) and FTL are also among my all-time favorite games.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

obsidian made one of the best games of all time and lost out on a bonus because they agreed to tie it to metracritic scores (ignoring that the game’s metacritic score was far lower than it should’ve been - that’s just a bad contract to sign).

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Fuzz posted:

So what's the consensus on best Kickstarted game thus far? I'm thinking it goes to one of HBS' projects... Battletech is super polished, but really everything they've done has been great. That or Shovel Knight.

Full Bore wasn't a commercial success at all but it it's one of my favorite puzzle games and it was kickstarted

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Skyscraper posted:

Oooh, interesting, can you say more?

Basically political reddit or chanboard poo poo. Open racism from what could have been devs themselves for all the moderating they did to stop or care about it. Still basically is that on iDGi.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Oh by the way, A Hat in Time released a DLC level recently along with a bunch of extra (and tough) challenges. It's pretty short but characteristically charming and cute.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Definitely take anything Avellone says with a grain of salt, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that the people running Obsidian are not good at it. The company has been on the verge of bankruptcy multiple times, is constantly having projects cancelled out from under them (Obsidian always blames the publisher but as a studio they obviously have problems delivering on schedule or within budget), and their development methodology seems insanely disorganized (take Alpha Protocol, which apparently had no project leads until halfway through development, causing them to have to start over from scratch).

I love Obsidian games and Rope Kid as much as the next goon but there's definitely issues with the leadership from an outside perspective.

Obsidian had an incredible opportunity when they did Tyranny with Paradox and they pissed it away in the dumbest possible way. They going under seems kind of inevitable.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Demiurge4 posted:

Obsidian had an incredible opportunity when they did Tyranny with Paradox and they pissed it away in the dumbest possible way. They going under seems kind of inevitable.
Is there a story here? I was kinda baffled when they were all lovely dovey at first and suddenly Paradox wasn't their publisher anymore.

Even if sales were poor didn't seem like enough of a reason to part ways.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Demiurge4 posted:

What actually happened with Paradox? I figured they’d fallen out, but all I’d heard as to why was Avellone going “Urquhart promised them they’d be able to stick my name on it as a selling point and they were very pissed off when I quit”.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i dunno why avellone quitting is seen as a bad thing, got forbid a western rpg isn't full of lovely word vomit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Most independent AA studios like Obsidian either went defunct or got devoured by the major publishers less gen, if anything I'd say Obsidian knew what they were doing to weather that storm. And you really can't say Obsidian is "overtime and overbudget" when they delivered both PoEs in a reasonable timeframe and they both released without any real serious technical problems.