Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Read that as Borats, now picturing Borat in a kaiju movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I hope she's actually gigan

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So this thread has talked about it before, but man Mothra is a strong movie.

It mostly works in contrast with Gojira and Rodan- there are elements to it that I like better than Rodan, though Rodan is over all the better movie.

It's just such a thuddingly obvious, not at ALL subtle film that I kind of adore it. And it's one of the few times that the kaiju is going on a massive rampage, kills millions of people, and then gets what it wants and makes it out A-OK because gently caress YOU SHE'S A GOD, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT MORTALS

Rodan is elevated by that goddamn ending, which is a big gut punch of a thing. If it had a slightly more traditional ending, I might put Mothra over it for the simple fact that Mothra's main cast remain active for the whole film and are instrumental to fixing the problem and saving the day. Rodan's main cast basically vanishes from the movie after Rodan shows up.

And it makes me even more excited for the new Legendary movie, because gently caress that village being destroyed by Rodan is exactly the kind of shot Tsuburaya was always trying to get right with these movies.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I hope she's actually Megalon, Gigan, and Jet Jaguar in a trenchcoat

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

No surprise, but Godzilla: King of the Monsters is rated PG-13.

Just surprised that it's already rated

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Davros1 posted:

No surprise, but Godzilla: King of the Monsters is rated PG-13.

Just surprised that it's already rated

how many seconds of full frontal Godzilla can we get before it becomes an R

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

how many seconds of full frontal Godzilla can we get before it becomes an R

More than there was in the Emmerich Godzilla apparently.

Violator
May 15, 2003

My only concern with hurricane monsters is that everything will be so big and so busy that it will be visually crowded. Like how Doomsday in BvS was in a constant electrical storm was a neat idea but pretty visually cluttered even with experts like Snyder and Fong behind it. The trailer looks good, though, with a lot of wide framing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Violator posted:

My only concern with hurricane monsters is that everything will be so big and so busy that it will be visually crowded. Like how Doomsday in BvS was in a constant electrical storm was a neat idea but pretty visually cluttered even with experts like Snyder and Fong behind it. The trailer looks good, though, with a lot of wide framing.

Or like in Transformers or Pacific Rim. But the kaiju movies so far have actually been taking visual cues from, well, kaiju movies, and done a pretty good job in framing scenes well. The design choice shouldn't be one that makes it hard to actually look good.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Some of the cancelled or scrapped movie concepts still sound loving amazing to me, I'm ready for the film where Godzilla fights a ghost version of himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rXP809uL2s

0:37 fits with the theme so hard.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovies/status/1042865575452729344

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Third and final installment? Dang. I really wanted to see Legendary do more kaiju in this style.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Legendary series doesn’t really have the legs to go more than that many. The 2nd one I’d thoroughly loving up the planet and then third will do further damage. Kinda hard to keep the series going when the damage is apocalyptic. This isn’t a bad thing, though.

It gives them a chance to move on to other films. Bring on Legendary GAMERA.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
But who will do the slowed down trailer version of the Gamera song?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Legendary series doesn’t really have the legs to go more than that many. The 2nd one I’d thoroughly loving up the planet and then third will do further damage. Kinda hard to keep the series going when the damage is apocalyptic. This isn’t a bad thing, though.

It gives them a chance to move on to other films. Bring on Legendary GAMERA.

Yeah, I know and respect that. I just really want a Legendary Biollante. And Hedorah. And maybe SpaceGodzilla.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cythereal posted:

Third and final installment? Dang. I really wanted to see Legendary do more kaiju in this style.

It's also actually the fourth MonsterVerse movie.

But yeah, the entire MonsterVerse exists solely in service of this movie, so where do you go from there? We'll at least have the new Toho movies afterwards.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The 2nd one I’d thoroughly loving up the planet and then third will do further damage. Kinda hard to keep the series going when the damage is apocalyptic. This isn’t a bad thing, though.

When Earth is destroyed, its Planet X's turn.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

But who will do the slowed down trailer version of the Gamera song?

We’re beyond that, Tortoise will just do the score

They already did one and it ripped and they weren’t named after lovely molly

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

If the next two make a lot of money they are doing more just so you know. That’s my insider info

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Burkion posted:

So this thread has talked about it before, but man Mothra is a strong movie.

It mostly works in contrast with Gojira and Rodan- there are elements to it that I like better than Rodan, though Rodan is over all the better movie.

It's just such a thuddingly obvious, not at ALL subtle film that I kind of adore it. And it's one of the few times that the kaiju is going on a massive rampage, kills millions of people, and then gets what it wants and makes it out A-OK because gently caress YOU SHE'S A GOD, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT MORTALS

Rodan is elevated by that goddamn ending, which is a big gut punch of a thing. If it had a slightly more traditional ending, I might put Mothra over it for the simple fact that Mothra's main cast remain active for the whole film and are instrumental to fixing the problem and saving the day. Rodan's main cast basically vanishes from the movie after Rodan shows up.

And it makes me even more excited for the new Legendary movie, because gently caress that village being destroyed by Rodan is exactly the kind of shot Tsuburaya was always trying to get right with these movies.

Funny you should mention that because I rewatched Mothra the other night for a transnational film class. I've said before it's a pity that Mothra doesn't kill Jelly Ito's character like she was meant to, but the rest of the movie more than makes up for it because it's so goddamn fun. The purist in me says there's nothing wrong with these graphics from 1961, but there's a small part of me that wants to see a "digitally remastered" version that simply cleans up the saturation from bluescreen shots and puts everything in HD quality - akin to those Star Wars remasters you sometimes see from the fans where it's not CGI so much as it is getting rid of matte lines, etc.

Anyways Mothra is probably the best kaiju flick aside from the original Gojira. If you like that may watch Ghidorah TTHM because it's similar in the kinds of crazy poo poo going down, like the whole prophecy plot.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

The Golden Gael posted:

Anyways Mothra is probably the best kaiju flick aside from the original Gojira.

Rodan, for my money.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Waffleman_ posted:

But yeah, the entire MonsterVerse exists solely in service of this movie, so where do you go from there?

This is part of why that Godzilla anime was such a frustrating let down. The idea is such a perfect endgame "Godzilla happened and is truly King of the Monsters, now what?" scenario that allows for all kinds of cool poo poo, but then we got what we got.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
IMO it feels very appropriate to just do 3 movies and stop.

The Golden Gael posted:

Funny you should mention that because I rewatched Mothra the other night for a transnational film class. I've said before it's a pity that Mothra doesn't kill Jelly Ito's character like she was meant to, but the rest of the movie more than makes up for it because it's so goddamn fun. The purist in me says there's nothing wrong with these graphics from 1961, but there's a small part of me that wants to see a "digitally remastered" version that simply cleans up the saturation from bluescreen shots and puts everything in HD quality - akin to those Star Wars remasters you sometimes see from the fans where it's not CGI so much as it is getting rid of matte lines, etc.

Anyways Mothra is probably the best kaiju flick aside from the original Gojira. If you like that may watch Ghidorah TTHM because it's similar in the kinds of crazy poo poo going down, like the whole prophecy plot.

That sounds like a cool class.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Keep it to 3 and don't let it get stale. It'll be an awesome trilogy if the next 2 knock it out the park.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

HannibalBarca posted:

Rodan, for my money.

Yeah. Rodan is incredible.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

They’re doing 4 though, three is already off the table. Godzilla, Skull island, KotM, Godzilla v Kong

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Regardless of how many they do, the final shot of the last film HAS to be this, except with Godzilla:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am so glad they never made a King Conan movie. It could never live up to that image.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God vs King is the last chance this series have to be good.

And by good I mean add Gigan and Anguirus.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

IMO it feels very appropriate to just do 3 movies and stop.

That sounds like a cool class.

I should point out I chose to rewatch it and that it wasn't part of the curriculum, although I have the blessing of my professor to write a paper on Indigenous themes present in Mothra.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vintersorg posted:

I am so glad they never made a King Conan movie. It could never live up to that image.

We did get a King Conan movie, but Arnie refused to come back and Kevin Sorbo refused to reprise Arnie's character so they just opened up the script in Word and find/replaced 'Conan' with 'Kull'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF_fs34K04I

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Golden Gael posted:

I should point out I chose to rewatch it and that it wasn't part of the curriculum, although I have the blessing of my professor to write a paper on Indigenous themes present in Mothra.

Make sure you cite K. Waste's video on the subject.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Neo Rasa posted:

This is part of why that Godzilla anime was such a frustrating let down. The idea is such a perfect endgame "Godzilla happened and is truly King of the Monsters, now what?" scenario that allows for all kinds of cool poo poo, but then we got what we got.

It costs the exact same to animate people as it does to animate Kaiju (I assume) and yet they still managed to make it a talky boring POS movie.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We did get a King Conan movie, but Arnie refused to come back and Kevin Sorbo refused to reprise Arnie's character so they just opened up the script in Word and find/replaced 'Conan' with 'Kull'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF_fs34K04I

Kull's a different Robert E Howard character.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Xguard86 posted:

It costs the exact same to animate people as it does to animate Kaiju (I assume) and yet they still managed to make it a talky boring POS movie.

The Kaiju have more effects associated with them which costs more time to model but it's probably not a huge difference tbh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Xguard86 posted:

Unfortunately the Godzilla anime was still anime, and goddamn if anime isn't at this point at least 50% ways to save money by having boring dialogue scenes whenever possible.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's not because it's anime. It's because it's Urobuchi at the helm, specifically. Dude loving loves exposition.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unfortunately the Godzilla anime was still anime, and goddamn if anime isn't at this point at least 50% ways to save money by having boring dialogue scenes whenever possible.
Anime, as stuff full of exposition filler as AAA video games are full of repetitive sidequest filler.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Choco1980 posted:

Kull's a different Robert E Howard character.

Did you stop reading after the first seven words in my post? The movie started out as Conan The Conqueror but got changed to Kull The Conqueror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Terrible Opinions posted:

Anime, as stuff full of exposition filler as AAA video games are full of repetitive sidequest filler.

I'm reminded of someone who brought up how Attack on Titan stands out because characters actually do stuff during exposition scenes like that, eating snacks or cleaning their gear, rather than just standing or walking around talking at each other.

There's something to be said that anime being made by shut-ins for shut-ins means you get characters that don't move or act anything like real people (not that media people ever really talk like real people) but a lot of that could easily be the minimal budgets. (I figured it's because Western cartoons usually design characters to be easy to animate, heavily stylised and relatively simplistic, while anime characters often have more elaborate designs that you don't see moving around very dynamically except when they decide to blow the budget on something)