Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking
Might as well ask Ranald. They were pretty tight lipped before and now that every move is WE poo poo THE BED AGAIN they are even more so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

NightshadeGenitals posted:

Might as well ask Ranald. They were pretty tight lipped before and now that every move is WE poo poo THE BED AGAIN they are even more so.

Apparently, the xbone server boot only happens if you have over two people. The mismatch thing has been proven false. So... yeah. Two dudes and two bots fine. Saw that myself earlier.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Didn't Vermintide 1 have a gap period of almost a year with no work on it before DLCs and the like started being released?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
About so, yeah. But it was arguably less buggy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No, the game was patched frequently after launch and had 2 DLCs released before fatshark went silent for ~5 months leading up to the big balance patch and the third DLC. By the time they went silent, the serious bugs had been fixed (rollerblade ratlings was the only consistently harmful one I remember still being in) and the base game worked way better than vermintide 2 does now, so it was in much better shape when they left. The balance being bad was the only core problem with the gameplay at that point, compared to now where the balance is bad, the base design of the game is bad, it’s still buggy to the point of feeling like a beta test, and bullet point features they advertised would be in the game are still missing half a year after release.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Digirat posted:

No, the game was patched frequently after launch and had 2 DLCs released before fatshark went silent for ~5 months leading up to the big balance patch and the third DLC. By the time they went silent, the serious bugs had been fixed (rollerblade ratlings was the only consistently harmful one I remember still being in) and the base game worked way better than vermintide 2 does now, so it was in much better shape when they left. The balance being bad was the only core problem with the gameplay at that point, compared to now where the balance is bad, the base design of the game is bad, it’s still buggy to the point of feeling like a beta test, and bullet point features they advertised would be in the game are still missing half a year after release.

What irritates me is I JUST got this wicked flamethrower that cools with every crit. So I charge and just melt horde rushes, charge again then melt some more. This is the first time in a game where a flamethrower is done right, I just got it and... half the time get no credit for a match because the server dies. Had an insane last man standing where my idiot pubbie partner goes Leroy Jenkins as one of the bots goes silent (someone logging in). My iron breaker uses a narrow area to filter his aggro plus the mob. I bash and chop my way to victory with just the barest sliver of health. New guy surveys the carnage and says “daaaamn” and I’m feeling good. Then “you’ve lost connection to the server”. Effing swedes.

I loved Battlefleet Gothic and kept going until it broke my heart and multi was no more. I really don’t want that again. Fix your game you cock knockers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Warhammer video games have a voodoo curse on them. They always disappoint. The Total War titles and DoW 1 are the only exceptions.

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Warhammer video games have a voodoo curse on them. They always disappoint. The Total War titles and DoW 1 are the only exceptions.

It's called greed. There's a reason GW's copyrighted items list is like a paragraph long.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

“Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.” Very true Dawn of War.

So they patched Xbone. I’ll update later if it worked. BFG made me so sad... what they got right was awesome and I learned to do insanely well with my nerfed Ladz. Lots of ramming, big red button, tends to leg it or randomly gently caress up... it was a blast. But they kept loving with balance in the worst possible way. I almost felt sorry for the Eldar and ITS THE ELDAR! Anyhoo... I’ll keep thread updated for us few console bastards.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vermintide 1 wasn't a disappointment.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Digirat posted:

Vermintide 1 wasn't a disappointment.

It ended up being fine, but man it was a rough path.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Relentless posted:

It ended up being fine, but man it was a rough path.

Update: the dlc patch corrupted my game so downloading whole game again

For.gently caress.sake.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I love how FS just cannot learn they keep pushing out patches without testing them then get in an endless cycle of fixing the problem they created while trying to fix the other problem they've created. Why they aren't using the beta patch feature on steam is just insane. Make a beta patch then keep fixing the loving beta patch until everything is working fine then release the beta patch with some free content/mods to pull the player base back in. They're already hemorrhaging players like mad so splitting the player base won't be a big deal esp if you allow the improved bot mods to be sanctioned.

It's not GW, :fatshark: is just loving incompetent plain and simple.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Holy poo poo,

FS releases a hot fix with a double exp weekend claiming they test their code https://old.reddit.com/r/Vermintide/comments/9htzu2/xb1_hotfixes_double_xp_weekend/

The result,

https://old.reddit.com/r/Vermintide/comments/9hv8gn/update_made_it_worse/

This is so insane.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Arghy posted:

It's not GW

Woah woah let's not say anything we can't take back here.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

:airquote: We have [internal] QA and for bigger releases we use [external] QA :airquote:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
The way some bugs appeared makes me think they only test individual fixes but never actually test their build outside of "it starts".

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The common bug re-introductions makes me feel like they have a dozen different versions of their test patches.

I'm still at the point where I enjoy playing the game with friends now and then and can just laugh at the incompetence without turning into a gibbering madman who shouts on the streetcorner about how fatshark is dumb and bad every day, it's just a shame we're half a year into the game and the PC version has been seemingly abandoned for a couple months while they focus on a unplayable console port, plus the DLC and release content is long delayed and every single armor skin for every character is just a recolor.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The common bug re-introductions makes me feel like they have a dozen different versions of their test patches.

I'm still at the point where I enjoy playing the game with friends now and then and can just laugh at the incompetence without turning into a gibbering madman who shouts on the streetcorner about how fatshark is dumb and bad every day, it's just a shame we're half a year into the game and the PC version has been seemingly abandoned for a couple months while they focus on a unplayable console port, plus the DLC and release content is long delayed and every single armor skin for every character is just a recolor.

I feel like any other developer would scramble to fix the kinds of mistakes that appear from Fatshark's patching. I'm at a point where I'm not annoyed but I am sort of eagerly awaiting some kind of post-hoc explanation about what's happening behind the scenes. I refuse to believe it's just 'incompetence'; it's too vague. A lovely but well meaning studio can still manage to put in a big show of all the effort they're putting into the game, and we're not getting that. It would be almost effortless for someone to blog each day or week about what's happening. Instead it feels like there are a dozen community moderators floating around the internet saying, 'ah yes, that is a bug, how do you reproduce that?' and that's all the communication we get.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Same quoting your post because :drat:
Good news for xb1 players: I just finished a game! Redownloaded the entire game plus killed local storage per FS advice. Keep in mind this is my third time downloading

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
"i just don't understand. the game managed to compile, there are no errors. what's the problem?"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mendrian posted:

I feel like any other developer would scramble to fix the kinds of mistakes that appear from Fatshark's patching. I'm at a point where I'm not annoyed but I am sort of eagerly awaiting some kind of post-hoc explanation about what's happening behind the scenes. I refuse to believe it's just 'incompetence'; it's too vague. A lovely but well meaning studio can still manage to put in a big show of all the effort they're putting into the game, and we're not getting that. It would be almost effortless for someone to blog each day or week about what's happening. Instead it feels like there are a dozen community moderators floating around the internet saying, 'ah yes, that is a bug, how do you reproduce that?' and that's all the communication we get.

Any other developer would at least remove the placeholder assets in the keep, if putting anything in their place crashes the client lol

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The fact that the dialog wheel was crashing the game is also nuts like how could that slip through QA? Did they just write the code then never see if it actually works? It's the same thing with all the client side poo poo being broken do they just have 2-3 QA guys who never actually get time to test things with a full team?

How hard is it to get 4 guys in a keep together with debug windows showing every single stat then start swapping out talents to see if they work or not? Oh hey my dodge range isn't increasing, this talents not working right as client. *dodge talent currently isn't working as client we are looking into it*

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I don't mean to defend fatshark because they clearly have issues with it, but QA isn't that straight forward. No one would ever pay for it if it was that easy.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Knobb Manwich posted:

I don't mean to defend fatshark because they clearly have issues with it, but QA isn't that straight forward. No one would ever pay for it if it was that easy.

Of course it isn't. The breakdown isn't really QA; it's communication. It's PR. And also marketing, since they aren't making new products.

You sell me a swiss army knife and it doesn't work, so you take it to the other room to work on it. If you keep shouting, "I've almost got it, looks like there's a screw missing" and then "oh poo poo, the knife was actually dull" and then, "Okay, actually, it turns out it was a spoon, not a knife, I'm waiting on parts for the knife", I'm going to be much more tolerant than if you blow a bunch of smoke in my face and gently caress off with my knife for nine months.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Reminder every single bug in the game has been in their bug report forums since beta also its not like anything is a surprise here. It's likely 1 guy reading the bug reports, giving it to another guy to fix who then doesn't communicate with anyone else so a 3rd guy reintroduces the bug because he was not communicated to at all by the 2nd or 1st guy.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
It's almost like every other developer that exists has at least the most rudimentary of systems in place to help prevent this issue.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Knobb Manwich posted:

This is true of effective QA in the abstract general sense, but at some point in implementing the New Thing, they must've tried using it and said "what the gently caress" irl when it crashed. This step was not performed.

In writing this post I spaced out and wrote "one" instead of "said" and it made no sense and went back and wrote the correct word instead so the sentence could work. I am creating bad posts on a games forum with more diligence than Fatshark employees at their Paid Work Jobs For Money.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I can still play! If you are playing xbone and see Son of Fenrir say hi. The double do weekend helped me get Dwarf, Kruber and Victor to 20 and Sienna to 12. My elf is still 4 as I’ve grinded enough. Tired now.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Getting back into this on PC and still love it. Know it has problems and all but I just like chopping off rat limbs. Any PC goons still playing for Deeds?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
As a professional software developer myself? Without knowing anything about the internal situation at Fatshark, my wild guess as to the situation would be this: Originally they had an almost completely different team that did the vast majority of the work, who then all resigned / got laid off as time went on. Since the game was mostly done, the executives decided they could make do with cheaper, less effective replacements, and fewer of them. The new developers came in, knew absolutely nothing about the system they were taking responsibility for, and promptly broke loving everything in their attempts to fix it. The company may still have one or two of the original core development team directing efforts, but one or two people can't hold together an entire team and wouldn't know how every little last piece of the project fits together in any case.

I've seen similar situations play out a couple of times. It's just a guess, but it could lead to something like what we're seeing.

Also, the constant issues with them re-breaking old fixed problems just sounds like they have major source control problems. They probably don't have a formal build manager position and everybody just kind of slaps poo poo together and hopes for the best.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fans posted:

Getting back into this on PC and still love it. Know it has problems and all but I just like chopping off rat limbs. Any PC goons still playing for Deeds?

I play almost every day, I'm in Europe though

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Fans posted:

I haven't gotten into Deeds yet, but I'm playing a few times a week. I usually check Discord but rarely find anybody else active there.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Relentless posted:

I haven't gotten into Deeds yet, but I'm playing a few times a week. I usually check Discord but rarely find anybody else active there.

We were all broken by legend.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

We were all broken by legend.

Yeah, I'm not quite level 30 on my first character yet.

I've been like, 3 months behind gaming trends lately and sometimes the population changes are super noticeable.

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking
I didn’t think anyone actually did deeds because they are so not worth the trouble.

Q&C was a much better system.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Deeds are strictly for bragging rights

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Deeds are honestly way too punishing for what they offer you. They should offer some alternative currency you can use to lock stats or upgrade items. As it stands they can give you negative loot since they don't always offer an Emp chest and some are nigh-impossible to win if you collect grims.

So yeah, srtrictly bragging rights.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
Just echoing deeds = bragging rights.

It's a way to get more challenge out of the game.... the game that is currently actively hostile towards you for trying to get good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoKabookie
Apr 4, 2004

We don't have to talk about the Matrix. We can talk about... stuff. Bands you like, girls we've dated, the Matrix...

Fans posted:

I play a few times per week just to get my dailys done. I have never played any deeds though but would be willing to try. My steam name is the same as my username here.