Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BT Internet accounts are really tough to get messages delivered to sometimes. Having said that, too many SPF lookups is definitely a thing.

I'd be more concerned at sending company information outside of any services that you have control over in terms of security, DLP etc. AFAIK you're still liable if a third-party webmail gets compromised because confidential company information should never have been there in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

If too many lookups was the issue, wouldn't that stop everything from that domain?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bitterandtwisted posted:

If too many lookups was the issue, wouldn't that stop everything from that domain?

Many email servers doesn't block malformed spf domains, just mark them as spam(some even ignore spf records). Drop when spf or dkim records are invalid is still a rarity instead of the norm.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"If we could just get all the customer invoices to go to an email box....then we could save and search them"

THEY AREN'T EMAILS
WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO STORE THEM
IN EMAIL

These are scanned in orders customer services gets from faxes, etc. What the gently caress.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bob Morales posted:

"If we could just get all the customer invoices to go to an email box....then we could save and search them"

THEY AREN'T EMAILS
IN EMAIL

These are scanned in orders customer services gets from faxes, etc. What the gently caress.

Are they actual faxes or fax-to-emails?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Schadenboner posted:

Are they actual faxes or fax-to-emails?

Actual faxes. These fuckers just don't get fax to email

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bob Morales posted:

Actual faxes. These fuckers just don't get fax to email

Implement and then go: You know, since we’ve already digitized all of these old orders... ?

:shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If only there were some kind of data storage system out there where you could enter data in a structured format and run searches on that data, querying for things you are interested in.

But nah, let's keep scanned images in a mail spool.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Looks like we are about to start taking a 25% hike in networking kit prices.

Thanks Obama Trump

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

xzzy posted:

If only there were some kind of data storage system out there where you could enter data in a structured format and run searches on that data, querying for things you are interested in.

But nah, let's keep scanned images in a mail spool.

What makes me mad is the customer service 'manager' comes down to talk to a helpdesk guy about it instead putting in a ticket because I would tell him we can't do it that way.

I guess he needs reminding that we can only have 2 gigamon email boxes per the owner of the company

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

THEY AREN'T EMAILS
IN EMAIL

The company I work at is going through some growth, and about four years ago we changed from being a small company (100 people) to a slightly larger size company (500 people). Part of that is starting to do things right, like having a real ticketing system for client support requests. The "support manager" (really just a guy that monitored client support emails) absolutely refused to do anything other than track client issues in email. Specifically his own email box. If he was away or not responding, it was nearly impossible to figure out what to do. He'd work weird hours, 11am-8pm for no reason, and get irritated when things weren't done. Mostly it was because he refused to use JIRA like the rest of the company (we have offices in other countries that were 100% on board with this).

I didn't work under him, but I'm an escalation point for harder system related issues, he'd email me to look at something, but of course since was never around and there was no documentation it was impossible to do anything efficiently. I started opening up tickets when he'd send me tasks, and he'd get pissed because now there'd be two places for him to monitor. I told him in very clear terms that he's right, there should be one place, and that should be JIRA not his personal inbox. We'd fight about it all the time and I wanted to push him down some step. He make so much extra work for all of us. He's gone now, and we are 100% in JIRA, and doing a pretty good job for the past three or so years. Every time I get a support request, and I lookup the issue and find a similar ticket that contains the specific fix I need, I almost cry. It wonderful when the system works correctly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The company I work at is going through some growth, and about four years ago we changed from being a small company (100 people) to a slightly larger size company (500 people). Part of that is starting to do things right, like having a real ticketing system for client support requests. The "support manager" (really just a guy that monitored client support emails) absolutely refused to do anything other than track client issues in email. Specifically his own email box. If he was away or not responding, it was nearly impossible to figure out what to do. He'd work weird hours, 11am-8pm for no reason, and get irritated when things weren't done. Mostly it was because he refused to use JIRA like the rest of the company (we have offices in other countries that were 100% on board with this).

I didn't work under him, but I'm an escalation point for harder system related issues, he'd email me to look at something, but of course since was never around and there was no documentation it was impossible to do anything efficiently. I started opening up tickets when he'd send me tasks, and he'd get pissed because now there'd be two places for him to monitor. I told him in very clear terms that he's right, there should be one place, and that should be JIRA not his personal inbox. We'd fight about it all the time and I wanted to push him down some step. He make so much extra work for all of us. He's gone now, and we are 100% in JIRA, and doing a pretty good job for the past three or so years. Every time I get a support request, and I lookup the issue and find a similar ticket that contains the specific fix I need, I almost cry. It wonderful when the system works correctly.

I’m not sure why we don’t attach the PO to the sales order
It would require searching etc in slightly different ways

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Two of my guys came to me with a minor problem and said we need to contact *contractor* and I said let me take a look at it first.

I did, and it was a minor repair, I did it, trained the guys on how to make the repair and how to diagnose that it needs doing.

An hour later *contactor* shows up out of the blue in my office and says I can't find any problems.

Sigh, they had already texted the guy out of channel when they talked to me, and then didn't cancel with him when I fixed it.

I should take the service charge out of their paychecks :black101:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Out for a day for training, when I left we had 21 tickets, my "teammate" updated 3 tickets (out of 29 we currently have), it was him copy pasting junk from vendor tickets but not taking any action; why the gently caress does worthless sack still have a job, loving hell.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MF_James posted:

Out for a day for training, when I left we had 21 tickets, my "teammate" updated 3 tickets (out of 29 we currently have), it was him copy pasting junk from vendor tickets but not taking any action; why the gently caress does worthless sack still have a job, loving hell.

Management doesn't realize that he does nothing. It's even possible he doesn't realize it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pixaal posted:

Management doesn't realize that he does nothing. It's even possible he doesn't realize it.

oh, they do, I have brought it up multiple times as have a lot of other people; he used to be on the team under mine and my then teamlead put worthless_fucker_01 and 2 other people up for taking a position on the team because he's a loving moron and thinks that liking a person is reason enough for them to move up. We're an MSP so we track stuff fairly religiously, it's not secret he does nothing. It's a running joke between my brother and me that this guy has a video of management banging hookers and doing coke or something crazy like that.

I'm just in a poo poo mood, normally I try to not let this lazy shits stuff not bother me, but every job prospect keeps falling through for :reasons: and I'm really going to have to put my job search on hold for ~2 months because I'm getting married and this job is really loving sucking the life out of me for a lot of reasons.

I kind of feel better already after typing that out, but only slightly, also it's kind of wordsalad ramble sorry not sorry.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I had a dev today get into a huge argument with me because the code he pushed into a kubernetes service referenced external URLS instead of internal name spaces. He was CONVINCED that this somehow worked before before despite the previous code branches not having any of this poo poo. He ended up getting so mad he was drooling on himself when he spoke. I have never had to call security to remove someone from my office before but today is a new day.

I have the type of devops environments that are people like me trying to herd developers like loving cats. For gently caress sake I had to have a 2 1/2 hour meeting yesterday with a group because they can't loving stop trying to fight against microservices. No mother fucker, stop trying to build monolithic apps and pretend they are microservices.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

MF_James posted:

I'm just in a poo poo mood, normally I try to not let this lazy shits stuff not bother me.

if he's getting paid and not getting in trouble for putting in only a low level of effort, maybe you could reduce your level of effort too?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

if he's getting paid and not getting in trouble for putting in only a low level of effort, maybe you could reduce your level of effort too?

"We're really disappointed with how much your performance has dropped off"

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

v--- this guy gets it

Thanks Ants posted:

"We're really disappointed with how much your performance has dropped off"

Basically, this dude is somehow untouchable, hence the cocaine and hookers video comment, whereas I am not.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've had a ticket open for a month with Google support because enabling data residency options in G Suite stops the email log search from working if you're trying to search by message subject. For three weeks it was a bug that was being investigated, then it was 'working as expected' - e.g. the subject field wasn't meant to work if you'd selected a data region, despite this limitation not being documented anywhere. Then when I pushed back to ask for the documentation that explained this loss of functionality I got a response from a different agent saying that it was definitely a bug that was being worked on.

Now the two support techs are arguing within my ticket about whether this is a bug or a feature, and if it will be fixed or if it's working as intended. I thought Office 365 support wasn't great, but holy poo poo Google's is awful.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

I've had a ticket open for a month with Google support because enabling data residency options in G Suite stops the email log search from working if you're trying to search by message subject. For three weeks it was a bug that was being investigated, then it was 'working as expected' - e.g. the subject field wasn't meant to work if you'd selected a data region, despite this limitation not being documented anywhere. Then when I pushed back to ask for the documentation that explained this loss of functionality I got a response from a different agent saying that it was definitely a bug that was being worked on.

Now the two support techs are arguing within my ticket about whether this is a bug or a feature, and if it will be fixed or if it's working as intended. I thought Office 365 support wasn't great, but holy poo poo Google's is awful.

I am not surprised by their support being lovely, but the agent slap fight sounds great

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

MF_James posted:

I am not surprised by their support being lovely, but the agent slap fight sounds great

OMG this. I would love to print out that support case and frame it at on my wall at work: "This is how NOT to communicate with your customer, folks."

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I got the slugs booted on on the way to being booted from my group. Let me say that as a result of this, I have more work to do for the next several months until people can be replaced or things corrected . So, some shitwork being done is better than none.

I also hosed up adding a calendar event on my iPhone and accidentally invited the whole department and the CIO to come hang out at a Jamba Juice.

Ooops.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Partycat posted:

I also hosed up adding a calendar event on my iPhone and accidentally invited the whole department and the CIO to come hang out at a Jamba Juice.

Ooops.
Actually this sounds like a great party. Just expense it!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Hey IT, I need my account to mirror the permissions of this guy, so add me to whatever groups he's in and find out which servers he has local access to, and give me those permissions. Also, remove me from the SG_Developers group. My boss will follow up with his approval for this request.

"Okay, it was too hard to find out what servers he has local access to, so we didn't do that. Can you tell us what servers he has local access on? And we removed your access to the SG_Developers_CSG and SG_Developers_Internal groups."

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

anthonypants posted:

Hey IT, I need my account to mirror the permissions of this guy, so add me to whatever groups he's in and find out which servers he has local access to, and give me those permissions. Also, remove me from the SG_Developers group. My boss will follow up with his approval for this request.

"Okay, it was too hard to find out what servers he has local access to, so we didn't do that. Can you tell us what servers he has local access on? And we removed your access to the SG_Developers_CSG and SG_Developers_Internal groups."

"Let's set up a 10 minute phone call so we can line-by-line go over what $guy has access to, so we can properly itemize and write up the change request to copy those permissions to you, with your supervisor's and the change approver's permission, of course."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lord Dudeguy posted:

"Let's set up a 10 minute phone call so we can line-by-line go over what $guy has access to, so we can properly itemize and write up the change request to copy those permissions to you, with your supervisor's and the change approver's permission, of course."
Nah, he just closed the ticket. This guy is so dense he's got his email address in his signature with a mailto: link for someone else.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Currently on a conference call with our phone var as they upgrade some backend voice servers. At least this time I was smart enough to do this from home. Last time I was in the office until 3am.

I'm not actually doing anything, just sitting here incase there is something I can fix.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Partycat posted:

Ooops.

I say you let it play out and see what happens.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

CitizenKain posted:

Currently on a conference call with our phone var as they upgrade some backend voice servers. At least this time I was smart enough to do this from home. Last time I was in the office until 3am.

I'm not actually doing anything, just sitting here incase there is something I can fix.

Update: 4 hours in. Sounds like its going to be a cert issue again.

We absolutely need to get these engineers onsite instead of this remote poo poo.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I was cleaning up in my garage just now and decided to tidy up the cabling in my cabinet. I saw this weird discoloration in one of the empty rj-45 ports so I pulled out a flashlight for a closer inspection.

:nms: It was a spider. A gnarly piece of poo poo gently caress-you gross spider. :nms:

It was all snugged in there so I couldn't swat it or stab it or crush it without forever getting guts all up in the port and the shop vac couldn't pull enough air around it to dislodge it.

I'm ready to smash the whole switch out with a hammer and set fire to my garage.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Agrikk posted:

I was cleaning up in my garage just now and decided to tidy up the cabling in my cabinet. I saw this weird discoloration in one of the empty rj-45 ports so I pulled out a flashlight for a closer inspection.

:nms: It was a spider. A gnarly piece of poo poo gently caress-you gross spider. :nms:

It was all snugged in there so I couldn't swat it or stab it or crush it without forever getting guts all up in the port and the shop vac couldn't pull enough air around it to dislodge it.

I'm ready to smash the whole switch out with a hammer and set fire to my garage.

He just wants to be your cute little friend! You should take him inside so he can eat any insects that makes its way into your house.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
He's just hooking your switch up to the web.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Agrikk posted:

See if you can fit its legs into an RJ45 connector

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Checks out; 8 legs, 8 bits.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

So if it had been a centipede, I would have had to raise the MTU size?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

This is the most 1990's pun and I can 100% see it printed on a poster and hung in a school library.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Serious answer, do you have a small pair of tweezers that would fit into the port? You should be able to grab and remove a spider without crushing it with one.