Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Courtesy of the early FPS thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B16zqPAzXxQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Blur's "Beetlebum" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAXnqjUfal4) came up on shuffle the other day and I thought of this thread. Hard to imagine anything more '90s than anyone caring about a rivalry between two British rock bands, or rock music at all being relevant in popular culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7LckIuqp1E

The Gallaghers are dicks but I kind of do miss the actual existence of unironic rock stars who don't feel self-conscious about their fame. Noel Gallagher thinks he's a loving rock god to the depth of his core, and I kind of miss people being able to be like that.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Sep 20, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Liam Gallagher said nobody buys albums anymore so he can't go off buying planes and stuff right now. For some reason that makes me sad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Imagined posted:

Noel Gallagher thinks he's a loving rock god to the depth of his core, and I kind of miss people being able to be like that.
Yeah Kanye is the poo poo.

No, wait.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
After a discussion of what music should be on a Captain Marvel soundtrack that should be 90s girl power anthems, I added a bunch to my Google Play playlist

Elastica - Stutter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ie4x8hWYYE

Veruca Salt - Volcano Girls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyVSKydUxKk

And Seether
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC9AUR-iTo0

Though really, this was probably the best choice

Bjork - Army of me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeAZ9DQZFz8

I'm also thinking about the first time I heard about DVDs, it was in an Anime IRC chat room, and someone brought this up most people were all "pfft, laserdisks are better and no one will buy them!" and "they'll be too expensive for people to buy them, so they'll fizzle out". I then remember seeing them in a store at some point, only a handful, with Rumble In the Bronx the only movie I recognized. They were also in those crappy cardboard cases too. I literally bought LA Confidenal again just so I could have it in a regular case.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There are four movies I have on dvd which came in snapcases for some reason: Shaft's Big Score, Shaft In Africa, Natural Born Killers and, for some reason, the David Mamet movie Heist.

Probably the worst packaging for them. Even those big chunky jewel cases they used for PS1 games would been preferable.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I dunno if this has already been posted but this is the most 90s video I know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_e9eOVct6w

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

alphabettitouretti posted:

I dunno if this has already been posted but this is the most 90s video I know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_e9eOVct6w

Holy poo poo, that video is amazing.

Street Fighter 2 Turbo is one of the best games of all time.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
"Street Fighter 2 Turbo is keeping the arcades packed!"

He says from a nearly empty arcade

E: I'm not hating, SF2 was my early childhood. The arcades in northern England were grouped near penny slot machines so my dad would give me like 10p and I'd go gamble until I had enough for an actual game of Street Fighter. Now that I'm typing it out it seems odd lol

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jojoinnit posted:

"Street Fighter 2 Turbo is keeping the arcades packed!"

He says from a nearly empty arcade

E: I'm not hating, SF2 was my early childhood. The arcades in northern England were grouped near penny slot machines so my dad would give me like 10p and I'd go gamble until I had enough for an actual game of Street Fighter. Now that I'm typing it out it seems odd lol

The fighting game boom of the early 90s probably extended the lifespan of arcades by a few years, but they were beyond saving.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

The fighting game boom of the early 90s probably extended the lifespan of arcades by a few years, but they were beyond saving.

Definitely, video arcades were in their heyday in the 80's up until 16 bit consoles. Sure the arcade game version was better, but for $50 you could just play it at home for free forever.

I remember there were definitely some gimmicky arcade games, which could just not be replicated at home. There was a neat-o flight sim kind that you strapped into, and you would tilt, rock, spin as you flew around shooting space ships or something. That one cost an astronomical amount like $2 per game, and my mom would only let me play it once per trip to the arcade.

One of the other things that started happening around that time was the price of arcade games started going up. The base rate doubled to $0.50, on just about anything that wasn't from the days of Pac-Man or Space Invaders. Many just base games were $0.75 or even $1.00 if there was some kind of special controls.

That said I have many fond memories of burning up all my money being bad at video games after begging my mom to take us to the arcade.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

Definitely, video arcades were in their heyday in the 80's up until 16 bit consoles. Sure the arcade game version was better, but for $50 you could just play it at home for free forever.

I remember there were definitely some gimmicky arcade games, which could just not be replicated at home. There was a neat-o flight sim kind that you strapped into, and you would tilt, rock, spin as you flew around shooting space ships or something. That one cost an astronomical amount like $2 per game, and my mom would only let me play it once per trip to the arcade.

One of the other things that started happening around that time was the price of arcade games started going up. The base rate doubled to $0.50, on just about anything that wasn't from the days of Pac-Man or Space Invaders. Many just base games were $0.75 or even $1.00 if there was some kind of special controls.

That said I have many fond memories of burning up all my money being bad at video games after begging my mom to take us to the arcade.

There used to be just random arcade machines everywhere, too. Go into a gas station and there would be a MK2 or SF2 machine.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I think the increased cost was a major thing that killed the games; there was also an increase in designing games that you couldn't win except by continually stuffing more and more quarters in. The simple fact is that arcades just got greedy. I think this is also part of why pinball has stuck around to a certain degree; if you're good you can play for quite a while on one spin.

Of course greed also happened there too. One of the places I eat lunch at sometimes had a pinball machine but it was a dollar so it got completely ignored.

Expecting somebody to pay $2 for a gimmick that would deliberately screw you over two minutes in to make you play again was the wrong decision. There's a place I walk to occasionally after work that doesn't do quarters and just does a "pay for how many hours you want then play as much as you want" sort of thing and I've been noticing that sort of thing in some of the games they have. The main reason I go there is because they have some very good classic pinball machines that are still fun but I've hit a few other things and...wow.

The shooters are the worst for that. They'll put more stuff on the screen than you can ever possibly shoot at but the thing that comes after you and actually attacks you just gives you no indication whatsoever that it's going to happen. Suddenly something will just rush out of the crowd and bite your face. It's completely unfair in the least obvious way possible. It's pretty blatant that you aren't meant to be able to avoid dying and having to stuff more quarters in. Of course with it being on a "push button to continue as you can play however much you want for a while" trivializes it. Playing skillfully enough to go through the entire game on one quarter is just a mathematical impossibility.

Compare that to, say, old arcade games where you have the potential for somebody to set a world record by playing for 20 hours in a single quarter.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's basically the same thing currently happening to movie theaters. Consumer tech got good enough to give you the same experience at home and ultimately cheaper / more convenient / don't have to deal with annoying people or poorly maintained facilities. And once again we see them throwing whatever gimmicks they can against a wall hoping something will stick.

I see a similar future for both: fewer venues, but they will serve beer

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We're getting a Dave & Busters put in 10 minutes up the road from me and sure it's an arcade which is rad but neither of the ones I've been to have anything resembling a fighting game. Lots of shooting games and racing games but no Street Fighter cabinets anywhere.

I'm going to enjoy Power Hour though because I want to play all the shooty games but I don't actually want to dumb tokens in them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sir Lemming posted:

It's basically the same thing currently happening to movie theaters. Consumer tech got good enough to give you the same experience at home and ultimately cheaper / more convenient / don't have to deal with annoying people or poorly maintained facilities. And once again we see them throwing whatever gimmicks they can against a wall hoping something will stick.

I see a similar future for both: fewer venues, but they will serve beer

I disagree that the home theater experience is the same, but then again I'm different from most people who are still happy with DVDs.

There's also the factor that the movie studios seem to be stagnating at indefinite sequels, limited original IPs, superhero movies out the rear end, etc. There really hasn't been anything I've been looking forward to seeing in a while.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

I disagree that the home theater experience is the same, but then again I'm different from most people who are still happy with DVDs.

There's also the factor that the movie studios seem to be stagnating at indefinite sequels, limited original IPs, superhero movies out the rear end, etc. There really hasn't been anything I've been looking forward to seeing in a while.

The Hollywood movie industry does the most profitable thing which is exactly that stuff. The U.S. also isn't where they're making their money anymore. The international market is enormous so they target that with formulaic action movies. Those do pretty good in America too but putting only stuff Americans would understand in is bad for profit so everything is increasingly generic.

Everybody, however, understands giant robots and/or super heroes with cool powers beating the poo poo out of each other near a bunch of explosions rendered lovingly in CGI.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

There used to be just random arcade machines everywhere, too. Go into a gas station and there would be a MK2 or SF2 machine.

My friends and I beat double dragon one afternoon in a grocery store. Just completely random, we decided to start playing and we were doing great, so we kept at it. There were four of us switching off, and at one point we ran out of quarters so tried begging a few from passers by. Another kid gave us 50 cents when we told him we were almost at the Willy stage and then he hung around to watch us finish it.

I had totally forgotten that until now. Thanks 90s thread.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Iron Crowned posted:

For me it's that a ton of movies released theses days seems to be 2.5+ hours long. Every loving superhero movie is long as poo poo.

The last time I went and saw a movie in theaters (A Quiet Place) someone took a picture of the movie with their flash on. The general public are loving animals.

I'd much rather wait a few months and pay Microsoft $7 to stream it in 4k. That way I can pause it to go smoke and make myself a G&T. I maybe see two movies a year in theaters and one of them is usually a Star Wars flick.

Even then, I didn't see Last Jedi until it was stream-able, and I never made it out to see Solo.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beastie posted:

For me it's that a ton of movies released theses days seems to be 2.5+ hours long. Every loving superhero movie is long as poo poo.

The last time I went and saw a movie in theaters (A Quiet Place) someone took a picture of the movie with their flash on. The general public are loving animals.

I'd much rather wait a few months and pay Microsoft $7 to stream it in 4k. That way I can pause it to go smoke and make myself a G&T. I maybe see two movies a year in theaters and one of them is usually a Star Wars flick.

Even then, I didn't see Last Jedi until it was stream-able, and I never made it out to see Solo.

The last movie I went to the theater to see was The Simpsons Movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The Hollywood movie industry does the most profitable thing which is exactly that stuff. The U.S. also isn't where they're making their money anymore. The international market is enormous so they target that with formulaic action movies. Those do pretty good in America too but putting only stuff Americans would understand in is bad for profit so everything is increasingly generic.

Everybody, however, understands giant robots and/or super heroes with cool powers beating the poo poo out of each other near a bunch of explosions rendered lovingly in CGI.

I think Star Wars is the last major franchise that's consistently more popular in America than it is in the rest of the world. Not to downplay its popularity in the rest of the world, of course, but one thing that's very interesting to me is how Star Wars just can't crack China, the largest movie market in the world, because it's so heavily driven by nostalgia and China a) has no nostalgia for Star Wars because the old movies didn't come out there until the 2000s or 2010s; and b) they weren't impressed by the old movies when they actually got to see them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Randaconda posted:

First played MK2 at a 7-11.
Then I picked up a Superman comic because maybe the Reign of Supermen was going on at the same time? Hard to remember.

Comics were everywhere at that time, too.

There's no doubt the line of games from SF2 through MvsC2 kept arcades hopping. I'd argue there was a little more lift thanks to DDR and Beatmanias coming over in the early 2000s, as well.

After that it gets into increasingly complex custom cabinets for rhythm games and whatnot that's too costly to play and too difficult to maintain.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

quote:

Did you get the disk?
Are the Teletubbies gay?

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
I still vividly remember when MK1 was at the height of popularity back in my home town. My family went on a long drive to my grandparents and at the rest station, I found MK2. The sound quality. The new characters. It was loving unbelievable.

After that trip, I went home and told EVERYONE at school about it. "Liu Kang can throw fireballs IN THE AIR guys! And you can play as Reptile and he spits acid and you can even play as Shang Tsung and morph into other people and" and they ate it all up. I was the loving king prophet for like a month until the local arcades got MK2 machines.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The Arcade/Console gaming worlds used to have a pretty big divide not only in the tech of the games, but the type of games. I think someone years ago said the biggest problem with Sega and the Dreamcast (a game system that came out as the arcade scene was starting to die out) was that so many of their titles were 'arcade' styled games tht you were expected to play in more short bursts.

Meanwhile, Nintendo and Sony were had 1st/3rd party titles that were very popular that leaned way more into an at-home experience. Long playthroughs, save states, big storylines. Things you couldn't pull off in the arcades.

Not to say Sega DIDN'T have such games, but on the consoles Sony/Nintendo just had more and more popular ones.

I'll admit, the PS1 was a massive game changer in the 90s. For years before its release, the kind of 3D gameplay it made possible for consumers was rare not only on the console market and in the arcade market. Probably not even many PCs at the time were going to be capable of turning out with anywhere near that price point of a $200-300 console in it's 90s lifecycle and stuff like DirectX on PC was still taking a while to work out its early bugs.

(edit: As a related note, I seem to recall a mid-90s PS1 reveal event where folks were getting their first looks at the hardware/software and apparently industry folks were shocked with the 3D graphics of Jumping Flash on a home console.)

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Star Wars is the last major franchise that's consistently more popular in America than it is in the rest of the world. Not to downplay its popularity in the rest of the world, of course, but one thing that's very interesting to me is how Star Wars just can't crack China, the largest movie market in the world, because it's so heavily driven by nostalgia and China a) has no nostalgia for Star Wars because the old movies didn't come out there until the 2000s or 2010s; and b) they weren't impressed by the old movies when they actually got to see them.

Could there also be an issue of the themes of Star Wars? There might be some elements in the franchise when it comes to China and those could be hurting the ability of the franchise to be really accepted or even played in China, for a lot of reasons. It could be the message of the movies, it could be some story elements that are seen as potentially problematic, etc.

Also, the big things that the West goes for, China can't give a can't care about. Ford, Fisher, and Hamill are just actors in these roles and they probably aren't as big a deal to see on the big screen not just in their previous roles, but in ANY roles.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Sep 20, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

Could there also be an issue of the themes of Star Wars? There might be some elements in the franchise when it comes to China and those could be hurting the ability of the franchise to be really accepted or even played in China, for a lot of reasons. It could be the message of the movies, it could be some story elements that are seen as potentially problematic, etc.

Perhaps the idea of an authoritarian state which pursues massive public works projects as the villains is unappealing in China. :v:

At the same time, while even Force Awakens didn't do brilliantly in China (as far as money goes, it did slightly better than it did in Britain, a country with a much smaller movie-going population but one where Star Wars has always been very popular), apparently Rogue One resonated with a lot of Chinese audiences, who related the lead characters' struggle to their own revolutionary tradition.

Conversely, the Fast and the Furious movies do reasonably well in America but they do insanely well in China.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Rogue One felt (to me, at least) like it was really downplaying the Empire/Rebellion thing a bit and made it feel more like the Empire was some massive antagonistic 'outsider' agency that had swooped in and overpowered a bunch of smaller systems or the Republic as a whole, as opposed to how the OT/PT canon seemed to set things up.

Maybe in part because there is a bit more of a divide between the presentation of the Empire/Rebellion in Rogue One. Empire is massive technologically advanced powerhouse with sleek ships and trained soldiers built for war and domination. The Rebellion looks like they're just these poverty riddled loose affiliation of nobodies who never had anything or any plans to fight back with in the first place. (I might be wrong, though, it's been a while since I've seen it)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JediTalentAgent posted:

Rogue One felt (to me, at least) like it was really downplaying the Empire/Rebellion thing a bit and made it feel more like the Empire was some massive antagonistic 'outsider' agency that had swooped in and overpowered a bunch of smaller systems or the Republic as a whole, as opposed to how the OT/PT canon seemed to set things up.
I think part of that is showing the whole empire oppression thing through Erso's experiences.

In unrelated news, Please to be enjoying Sampsins Bort Merchandise

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

twistedmentat posted:

After a discussion of what music should be on a Captain Marvel soundtrack that should be 90s girl power anthems, I added a bunch to my Google Play playlist

Elastica - Stutter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ie4x8hWYYE

Veruca Salt - Volcano Girls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyVSKydUxKk

And Seether
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC9AUR-iTo0

Though really, this was probably the best choice

Bjork - Army of me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeAZ9DQZFz8
Hrm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgffRW1fKDk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxvkI9MTQw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKLiU7Hq93w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmd3UiNfNkA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1aGcJVrvlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCZVRQ3z5qE

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Catatonia - Mulder and Scully is about as 90's as it gets for me. I don't think it was all that popular in the US but in the UK it was huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEhpmuXHmRQ

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Just in time for the '92 election (I loved this show).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q5ugkUhocE

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Seldom Posts posted:

My friends and I beat double dragon one afternoon in a grocery store. Just completely random, we decided to start playing and we were doing great, so we kept at it. There were four of us switching off, and at one point we ran out of quarters so tried begging a few from passers by. Another kid gave us 50 cents when we told him we were almost at the Willy stage and then he hung around to watch us finish it.

I had totally forgotten that until now. Thanks 90s thread.

*Fred Savage: "You got 50,000 in Double Dragon"?!?!?!?!

Oh wait, that was the 80s.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Most of these were on there too, suggested by other people. Except the Bikini Kill song and someone suggested a different L7 song.

I cannot hear Republica without hearing the Monarch from The Venture Bros going "She had a a red streak in her hair like Saffron from the band Republica!"

My favorite thing about Garbage is their drummer, Butch Vig was also the guy who produced Nirvana. That also reminds me he did a remix of House of Pain's Shamrocks and Shenanigans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9cKQNpETq0
Looking at HOP these days, they look more like they'd be at Unite the Right Rallies shouting nazi slogans and hiding behind cops from the mean SJWs.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

twistedmentat posted:

Looking at HOP these days, they look more like they'd be at Unite the Right Rallies shouting nazi slogans and hiding behind cops from the mean SJWs.
They were very popular with the Peckerwood/NLR crowd back in the day, so no real change there.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Trying to figure out what poo poo from Back To The Future 2 will actually come true was pretty 90s as I recall.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Peeny Cheez posted:

They were very popular with the Peckerwood/NLR crowd back in the day, so no real change there.

Why am I not surprised?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Liam Gallagher said nobody buys albums anymore so he can't go off buying planes and stuff right now. For some reason that makes me sad.

Imagine that. 25 years of aggressive lobbying causing playing a record in a house party, or listening radio in a taxi, to count as a public presentation and not being allowed, and earmarking bought music to a one particular device, and people stop to give poo poo about buying records and listen free"ish" streaming services. How unforeseeable.

These same people considered the Steam-approach to game sales to tank the industry because why would anyone want to buy anything, if they can get one friend to buy the game for a reasonable price, and rip that copy to their friends.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I probably mentioned last time this topic came up that I'm not a huge Oasis fan but I do kind of enjoy the Gallagher brothers basically swaggering about like Faces era Rod Stewart being unabashed rock stars. I do not like U2 or their music, but at the same time, I sort of like Bono running around in his sunglasses like he runs the world and doing the whole "dropping to his knees in a stadium and getting 50,000 people to sing the chorus with him" thing.

I'm not sure when rock musicians became embarrassed about being rock stars but it's too bad in a way. I remember a few years ago Alice Cooper caught some heat from the readers of this classic rock magazine I was reading when he said he think most 21st century rock stars look, dress and sound like lumberjacks and Lady Gaga and Katy Perry were better rock stars than most actual rock musicians.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I mean it became mainstream in the 90s. Kurt Cobain is the ur-example, with his "success = sucks eggs" conflicted self-consciousness. Fitting for a guy whose favorite bands were Aerosmith on the one hand and Pixies on the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Imagined posted:

I mean it became mainstream in the 90s. Kurt Cobain is the ur-example, with his "success = sucks eggs" conflicted self-consciousness. Fitting for a guy whose favorite bands were Aerosmith on the one hand and Pixies on the other.

Kurt was also pretty mentally ill, so it’s no surprise that he struggled with the cognitive dissonance of chasing popularity while hating it.

In some ways I think Kurt died at the optimum time. He got to spend his entire career at the top of his game, rather than having to deal with the inevitable collapse from grace and further destruction of his life from drug addiction. Nobody gets to remember him as a crazy old conspiracy theorist who got fat and struggles to sell tickets to a show when he used to be great. He spends eternity famous, rather than as a joke.