Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Atomizer posted:

Apparently that bottom switch was a feature requested by "pro gamers," presumably because they're liable to unintentionally hit that switch in the middle of a match (except you can reassign its function in software.)...

Hey this is kind of late, but a lot of pros (at least in CS) either A) have mousewheel bound to jump, or B) have mousewheel up/mousewheel down bound to discrete important functionality.

As a dude with long fingers who plays FPS competitively, but not at a high level, I have occasionally tapped the dpi switch on my g703 when in a high-adrenaline situation, when I flick down on mousewheel quickly to try and get my finger back on m1 ASAP. It is insanely frustrating and I can only imagine the damage I would end up inflicting on my mouse ifit happened and I were say, playing in a large tournament and it cost my team a round/the match.
(For context, I have mousewheel up and down bound to switching to different grenades, since 1-6 on my kb are already each bound to a weapon/nade.)

I also try to avoid adjusting button functionality in the logitech software, and instead purely use in-game binds, because I have had occasional glitches with the software in the past, and it's also easier if I just have to load up my one .cfg file for the game to have all my settings when I switch to a new PC or anything. Less possible points of failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
G703 has onboard memory. Set a single DPI value, unassign the button, and uninstall the software. The pros we work with basically all do this.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Goo...... tell them to hurry up with that new Logitech G-13 please (linux support greatly appreciated). :pray: :pray: :pray:

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
That's a funny way to say G MX518

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Audax posted:

If I knew the nod and point smilie I would use it now. So pretend I just did. I need to open mine up and try to clean up the scroll wheel again. It’s such a good mouse aside from that, I’ve had it for 6+ years now.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Audax posted:

Just had to google that one..... who melted holes in it with a soldering iron, a shameful display. :cry:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

surc posted:

Hey this is kind of late, but a lot of pros (at least in CS) either A) have mousewheel bound to jump, or B) have mousewheel up/mousewheel down bound to discrete important functionality.

As a dude with long fingers who plays FPS competitively, but not at a high level, I have occasionally tapped the dpi switch on my g703 when in a high-adrenaline situation, when I flick down on mousewheel quickly to try and get my finger back on m1 ASAP. It is insanely frustrating and I can only imagine the damage I would end up inflicting on my mouse ifit happened and I were say, playing in a large tournament and it cost my team a round/the match.
(For context, I have mousewheel up and down bound to switching to different grenades, since 1-6 on my kb are already each bound to a weapon/nade.)

I also try to avoid adjusting button functionality in the logitech software, and instead purely use in-game binds, because I have had occasional glitches with the software in the past, and it's also easier if I just have to load up my one .cfg file for the game to have all my settings when I switch to a new PC or anything. Less possible points of failure.

I get what you're saying, but I still think that the software solution (unassigning the button if you're worried about accidentally hitting it) is a better route than moving the button itself to a position where it's all but worthless for everyone who wants to use that mouse, casually or competitively. I mean I understand it's supposed to be "for the pros" but has to be sold to consumers at large for practical reasons, so we end up with hardware gimped all because some "pr0 g4m3r" doesn't want to hit a button in the heat of battle, and is worried that the software will "glitch out" randomly because it happened that one time several years ago (and also, because "competitive gaming" is such a critically-important part of our society, it would collapse if someone hit the wrong button and lost a match. :rolleyes:)

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Hi goons, I just launched the beta of a site that recommends a mouse sensitivity based on various factors (mousepad size, gameplay style, etc), and helps you keep it consistent between all your games. It's called Head Click.

I've been using it myself for the 5-6 months I've been researching and working on it (eating my own dog food, so to speak), and it's been super useful. It helps me avoid the problem of adjusting between different games with arbitrary sensitivity settings. My sensitivity is 48, around what a lot of pro CS players use. Shroud uses 47, for example.

Feel free to throw it in the OP if it proves useful.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Anyone try the J-Tech V628 vertical mouse? My Anker vertical mouse's scrollwheel crapped out recently, and I'm going to break the rest of the mouse trying to fix it. Not sure if I want to just get another Anker, or try the other mouse.

Edit:
I managed to fix it and put it back together! I actually feel a bit of accomplishment. One goon project done!

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 20, 2018

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

Anyone try the J-Tech V628 vertical mouse? My Anker vertical mouse's scrollwheel crapped out recently, and I'm going to break the rest of the mouse trying to fix it. Not sure if I want to just get another Anker, or try the other mouse.

Edit:
I managed to fix it and put it back together! I actually feel a bit of accomplishment. One goon project done!

I started off on that Anker but mostly use the JTD Scroll Endurance now, looks like it's the older model of that V628.

Prefer the JTD but there isn't terribly much difference in use. Both are a hell of a lot cheaper than the Logitech vertical mouse which looks to be just trading one the name which is a pity.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Logitech needs to recreate the g13 with better joystick, less mushy buttons and no LCD panel. My g13 died and I found a razor chroma mecha membrane keyboard on sale so I picked it up, thinking it would be nice....

Logitech software Is objectively better than all other gaming peripheral software. Especially the hot mess that is razor. Yes, razor, please make me sign Into a cloud account with software that refuses to self update and hates not crashing.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
You forgot to add "Runs even when disabled".

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Received my G Pro Wireless. I'm stunned. I'm going from the deathadder elite, which is legit wonderful in its physical and reliable sensor(everything else regarding razer is just... ugh). The mere fact that there is no cable is already amazing. The shape and size are pretty much perfect for my hand. Coupled with a QCK XXL from steelseries, I feel... unchained? Odd hyperbole maybe, but I feel so much more nimble in Quake, it is unreal. I'm over and undershooting all over the place but that's because apparently my muscle memory totally incorporated the cord drag. So much even, that I initially thought that I had set up the dpi wrong in the mouse - it felt faster than the original setting.

Despite that I'm now beginning to actually get to the magic 40% lg mark that eluded me personally for so long. Rail improved noticeably. The raw % is not that much higher, but the level of difficulty in the shot that I can now pull off has risen quite a bit. Not even remotely close to pro mind you, that's impossible for me, but the difference is not placebo. It's just too much. And the scoreboards back it up.

It's always possible that I wouldn't have been this enthusiastic if I had the wireless predecessor of this one. But I don't, so!

But not everything is rosey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyfeu_rzJdY

I think my model is affected - the left click and right click plates can drift every so slightly and so in certain earlier versions of this model this translates to your lclick getting stuck under your rclick or vice versa, in heated moments. For me that equates to either not jumping when I should, or withholding a critical shot. Apparently logitech is aware so getting it switched out is not an issue.

Does anyone here have experience with getting equipment replaced straight through logitech? Is it their procedure to send out a replacement once you provide proof of purchase, or do they wait for the defective product to come in?

Basically I am asking "will logitech let me play with my slightly defective yet awesome toy while I wait for my perfect version of said toy". I'm totally spoiled now, pretty much. :v:

e: the manual included suggested(through a simple picture) that the wireless receiver should be within 20 cm of the mouse. That's rather short but with the receiver plugged straight in the pc, quite a bit further away so far there is no issue.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 21, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mindblast posted:

Received my G Pro Wireless. I'm stunned. I'm going from the deathadder elite, which is legit wonderful in its physical and reliable sensor(everything else regarding razer is just... ugh). The mere fact that there is no cable is already amazing. The shape and size are pretty much perfect for my hand. Coupled with a QCK XXL from steelseries, I feel... unchained? Odd hyperbole maybe, but I feel so much more nimble in Quake, it is unreal. I'm over and undershooting all over the place but that's because apparently my muscle memory totally incorporated the cord drag. So much even, that I initially thought that I had set up the dpi wrong in the mouse - it felt faster than the original setting.

Despite that I'm now beginning to actually get to the magic 40% lg mark that eluded me personally for so long. Rail improved noticeably. The raw % is not that much higher, but the level of difficulty in the shot that I can now pull off has risen quite a bit. Not even remotely close to pro mind you, that's impossible for me, but the difference is not placebo. It's just too much. And the scoreboards back it up.

It's always possible that I wouldn't have been this enthusiastic if I had the wireless predecessor of this one. But I don't, so!

But not everything is rosey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyfeu_rzJdY

I think my model is affected - the left click and right click plates can drift every so slightly and so in certain earlier versions of this model this translates to your lclick getting stuck under your rclick or vice versa, in heated moments. For me that equates to either not jumping when I should, or withholding a critical shot. Apparently logitech is aware so getting it switched out is not an issue.

Does anyone here have experience with getting equipment replaced straight through logitech? Is it their procedure to send out a replacement once you provide proof of purchase, or do they wait for the defective product to come in?

Basically I am asking "will logitech let me play with my slightly defective yet awesome toy while I wait for my perfect version of said toy". I'm totally spoiled now, pretty much. :v:

e: the manual included suggested(through a simple picture) that the wireless receiver should be within 20 cm of the mouse. That's rather short but with the receiver plugged straight in the pc, quite a bit further away so far there is no issue.

He maps RMB to move forward?!? :psyduck: (Aside from that, again I'm reminded that RJN is ridiculously good at that game.)

Anyways, Logitech may send a replacement with a box and prepaid shipping, or they may require you to return the original mouse first, but either way why don't you just contact Logitech CS and find out instead of asking strangers on the Internet?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Because the question is already sent but Im still waiting so hey why not. It started as a "hey this thing is good" post but then the rest rolled un afterwards. :v:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

It's aight. All I can tell you for sure is that Logitech CS will make you satisfied. I'm also glad to hear you're enjoying that mouse; I'll be in for one (partially due to Powerplay compatibility) but only when I find a deal on it because I'm not exactly short on gaming mice at the moment.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Thanks for answering!

I can totally get waiting on it. I just felt like getting Christmas early I guess. Benefit of waiting is that is that it drops the odds of you running into this odd problem!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Atomizer posted:

He maps RMB to move forward?!? :psyduck:

That's classic. I used that for Q1 right shift was back. Strafe next to that and jump with rctrl

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

syscall girl posted:

That's classic. I used that for Q1 right shift was back. Strafe next to that and jump with rctrl

It sounds like you're talking about using the arrow keys (which I used to do back in the day) instead of WASD, but it also sounds like you're loving with me. :xd:

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Are wireless mice these days good enough that they are indistinguishable from wired mice for FPS gaming for a ~*~*~casual~*~*~ who just likes to play a bit of Battlefield when the Good Lord sees fit to align the circumstances that will grant him a bit of lonesome time?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Are wireless mice these days good enough that they are indistinguishable from wired mice for FPS gaming for a ~*~*~casual~*~*~ who just likes to play a bit of Battlefield when the Good Lord sees fit to align the circumstances that will grant him a bit of lonesome time?

Logitech wireless mice, at least, are excellent. Absolutely a viable (and preferable) alternative to wired.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Mindblast posted:

Yes, I had to get my G603 replaced a while back. Button + scroll wheel issues. Quoting myself for some pertinent information:

Ofecks posted:

Some more info about my experience that I left out. I was given what's called an "advanced replacement", which means they just sent me a new one straight-up, and didn't require me to send back the defective unit. According to Goo, this does not happen often. Keep that in mind when making a warranty claim.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Yes, the Logitech ones that use a receiver are. Bluetooth continues to suck, but 2.4Ghz is great. I use an MX Anywhere 2S and am no worse than when wired.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

androo posted:

Hi goons, I just launched the beta of a site that recommends a mouse sensitivity based on various factors (mousepad size, gameplay style, etc), and helps you keep it consistent between all your games. It's called Head Click.

I've been using it myself for the 5-6 months I've been researching and working on it (eating my own dog food, so to speak), and it's been super useful. It helps me avoid the problem of adjusting between different games with arbitrary sensitivity settings. My sensitivity is 48, around what a lot of pro CS players use. Shroud uses 47, for example.

Little late, but this is really good. A bit of feedback: for the profiler resolution list, it took me a minute to find 2560x1440 because it was listed as WQHD rather than numbers. I think just ordered number resolutions would be a bit more straightforward. Otherwise I really like it! I've been using mouse-sensitivity.com, and it would be nice to have all the various game options available here too, but your interface/app is much more intuitive/easy to use. Definitely would recommend, nice job!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Logitech wireless mice, at least, are excellent. Absolutely a viable (and preferable) alternative to wired.

Ynglaur posted:

Yes, the Logitech ones that use a receiver are. Bluetooth continues to suck, but 2.4Ghz is great. I use an MX Anywhere 2S and am no worse than when wired.

Thanks! My only experience is with cheapo Buffalo wireless mice and they have not been good at all for FPS gaming.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Atomizer posted:

It sounds like you're talking about using the arrow keys (which I used to do back in the day) instead of WASD, but it also sounds like you're loving with me. :xd:

Nope, left pinky strafe left with the b, middle on m to go right, switch weapons with ring on n

If you're on WASD you have a wide stance

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Atomizer posted:

They may be excellent, but since a signal's propagation speed through the air is slower than copper i simply cannot see how one can say "preferable". At most they can be "fine".

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks! My only experience is with cheapo Buffalo wireless mice and they have not been good at all for FPS gaming.

If you're on a tight budget, you can often find the MX Anywhere or MX Anywhere 2 for much less than the 2S. They're basically the same (though I'm sure Goo could point out differences.)

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So it's that time again. The switches on my G700 have finally poo poo the bed completely, and I need a replacement.

I love the logitech shape, and the switchable scroll wheel is a lifesaver, so I guess I'm stuck with the brand. Is the G502 a good choice, or is there a better one? Looked at the PRO, but those rightside buttons are a killer for me, since I grip hard right where they are.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Volguus posted:

They may be excellent, but since a signal's propagation speed through the air is slower than copper i simply cannot see how one can say "preferable". At most they can be "fine".

Response delay is not the only metric of quality. If there was a wireless G502 I'd absolutely replace my wired G502 with it, because not having a cord running across my (magnificent, extremely large, $2000) desk would be nice.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The response times on some of the wireless Logitechs is faster than a lot of wired models, so a wireless mouse is absolutely fine.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

androo posted:

You did good. Bookmarked, this is a lot easier than explaining to everyone the basics of sensitivity.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Volguus posted:

This:

everythingWasBees posted:

The response times on some of the wireless Logitechs is faster than a lot of wired models, so a wireless mouse is absolutely fine.

Logitech's wireless is really, really good. And any imperceptible delay is certainly worth not having to deal with any cable drag, and Powerplay is the cherry on top in that you no longer have to deal with charging. But don't take our word for it, try out some wireless Logitech gaming mice and see for yourself.

Naturally Selected posted:

So it's that time again. The switches on my G700 have finally poo poo the bed completely, and I need a replacement.

I love the logitech shape, and the switchable scroll wheel is a lifesaver, so I guess I'm stuck with the brand. Is the G502 a good choice, or is there a better one? Looked at the PRO, but those rightside buttons are a killer for me, since I grip hard right where they are.

Is your G700 still under warranty? Feel free to contact Logitech CS and see if they'll do anything. Otherwise, if you liked the G700, why not get another? How about a G703?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Naturally Selected posted:

If you're handy with a soldering iron you could replace the switches, but due to the age of other components I could understand the desire for an upgrade:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Logitech+Wireless+Gaming+Mouse+G700+Left-Right+Click+Button+Replacement/95701

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

everythingWasBees posted:

I got an orange steelseries kinzu v2 mouse years ago and I swear to god it had some kind of input delay that left me flabbergasted. I mean an input delay on a wired mouse, what the gently caress? That didn't seem real so I just exiled it to a spare machine.

Granted it's not like I went ahead and did a mountain of tests on it but having used logitech mice for a decade and then suddenly feeling is wrong with the motion, I couldn't get used to it.

e: Holy poo poo it apparantly has a click delay of over 3 times what I was used to

nftyw fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 22, 2018

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Volguus posted:

This is no longer the case. That's the whole reason I jumped on this. Welcome to the future, it is now and good.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Mindblast posted:

This is no longer the case. That's the whole reason I jumped on this. Welcome to the future, it is now and good.

Yep. Signal propagation is only one part. Signal processing matters too. Logi wireless is great.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

...where does this idea that signals travel faster through copper than through air come from? It's not a huge difference but the advantage is definitely the other way.

There's no way a human being notices the difference between (speed of light in air) vs. (like 60 m/s slower than that) over the three feet of separation, this is miles below the 1ms limit 1000Hz USB polling imposes. Possibly decoding a wireless signal adds some latency but it's not because copper is "faster" than air.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Probably was the decoding thing, especially if you consider wireless mice starting coming about almost 20 years ago now and wireless technology was a lot worse back then. And since mice generally operate on 2.4ghz, which is one of the most crowded bandwidth in most built-up areas now.

I didn't notice any issues with wireless mice the last time I used them a few years ago, but I'm sure back when the whole thing started it was an issue. Kind of like how CRTs used to be the better gaming monitors because they had a much lower latency, and now it doesn't matter at all because there's a ton of IPS monitors with 1ms response times.

I've always used wired mice because I didn't want to deal with a battery dying when I was in the middle of a game, but I think at this point it's probably not really an issue so if and when I finally give up on my MX518 I might just go wireless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Atomizer posted:

Is your G700 still under warranty? Feel free to contact Logitech CS and see if they'll do anything. Otherwise, if you liked the G700, why not get another? How about a G703?

Way out of warranty, and the g703 seems to have nothing in common with the 700 function or shape-wise, which is why i'm asking about the 502. Ideally I would just get another 700, but they've been out of production for a while-which is why I'm asking for advice.

Speaking of which, does any other company do the switchable/clutched scroll wheels? I'd be open to ideas, but don't even know where to start.

Rexxed posted:

If you're handy with a soldering iron you could replace the switches, but due to the age of other components I could understand the desire for an upgrade:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Logitech+Wireless+Gaming+Mouse+G700+Left-Right+Click+Button+Replacement/95701

Yeah I've actually opened up the switches and fixed the little copper membranes before, but at this point I just don't feel like messing with all that again.