Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Zil posted:

But no more than six right?

not more than once a month, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
After what feels like over a year of seeing Beto signs all over the place, I finally saw a Cruz sign for the first time a few days ago along with a Culberson sign in front of one of the richest-looking houses in the neighborhood. I walked by there again today and realized it was actually a townhouse because I saw that their neighbor who lives in the other half of the building had put up a Beto and Lizzie sign only a few feet away on their shared lawn area. I know sign wars are old news at this point and they're not an indication of votes, etc. but I'm enjoying the passive aggression. The only other house in the neighborhood that I've ever seen put up a sign for Republican candidates doesn't have anything up this year for some reason.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I also saw my first Cruz sign today. One of my neighbors put it up, the only sign in the neighborhood because I’m pretty sure HOA doesn’t actually allow them so I could complain if I’m feeling really petty. They also had what looked like some home made or otherwise unofficial “stop Hillary” sign in 2016.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/freeyourmindkid/status/1042785027451482112?s=21

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
My Nextdoor anecdote: the local nextdoor is full of the stereotypical suburbanite complaining, including someone posting about “maniac drivers” in the neighborhood and posting pictures of their vehicles. So I did a license plate search and posted the results. Went back to work after lunch and waited for fireworks.

Awesome mix of “you shouldn’t have posted that” and “thanks, good to know where that guy lives, in case he runs over my kid”.

I uh, deleted my post.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Comrayn posted:

I also saw my first Cruz sign today. One of my neighbors put it up, the only sign in the neighborhood because I’m pretty sure HOA doesn’t actually allow them so I could complain if I’m feeling really petty. They also had what looked like some home made or otherwise unofficial “stop Hillary” sign in 2016.

Wrap it up O'rourkailures

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sign update: not surprisingly, at Will Clayton and 59 as I was on my way to the airport, spotted a giant "We Stand With Ted Cruz" sign at the SE corner across from the "Welcome to Humble" sign on the NE side. Probably at least 4' wide and 2-3' tall. I wasn't able to read who it was from where I was, but thankfully my eyes didn't roll so hard I couldn't drive anymore.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Comrayn posted:

I don’t think HOAs can’t stop signs. They can limit size, and how early they can be put out (90 days), and quantity (one per candidate) but they can’t stop people from putting them out

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

My Nextdoor anecdote: the local nextdoor is full of the stereotypical suburbanite complaining, including someone posting about “maniac drivers” in the neighborhood and posting pictures of their vehicles. So I did a license plate search and posted the results. Went back to work after lunch and waited for fireworks.

Awesome mix of “you shouldn’t have posted that” and “thanks, good to know where that guy lives, in case he runs over my kid”.

I uh, deleted my post.

are you a cop

I saw some people on nextdoor posting a HEADS UP JUST AN FYI NEWS BULLETIN about how now there are ~packs~ of shifty looking individuals (hispanics, largely) running down the road behind my house.

I live a couple blocks from a crossfit gym.

gently caress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/lbarronlopez/status/1043118563752587266

:yum:

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

skipdogg posted:

I don’t think HOAs can’t stop signs. They can limit size, and how early they can be put out (90 days), and quantity (one per candidate) but they can’t stop people from putting them out

HOAs can harass people into doing all kinds of things. They're the perfect vehicle for passive aggressive petty tyrants.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

saintonan posted:

HOAs can harass people into doing all kinds of things. They're the perfect vehicle for passive aggressive petty tyrants.

Oh I'm aware. It's also fun to gently caress with those tyrants when the law is on your side though.

code:
Sec. 202.009.  REGULATION OF DISPLAY OF POLITICAL SIGNS.  (a)  Except as otherwise provided by this section, a property owners' association may not enforce or adopt a restrictive covenant that prohibits a property owner from displaying on the owner's property one or more signs advertising a political candidate or ballot item for an election:

(1)  on or after the 90th day before the date of the election to which the sign relates; or

(2)  before the 10th day after that election date.

(b)  This section does not prohibit the enforcement or adoption of a covenant that:

(1)  requires a sign to be ground-mounted; or

(2)  limits a property owner to displaying only one sign for each candidate or ballot item.

(c)  This section does not prohibit the enforcement or adoption of a covenant that prohibits a sign that:

(1)  contains roofing material, siding, paving materials, flora, one or more balloons or lights, or any other similar building, landscaping, or nonstandard decorative component;

(2)  is attached in any way to plant material, a traffic control device, a light, a trailer, a vehicle, or any other existing structure or object;

(3)  includes the painting of architectural surfaces;

(4)  threatens the public health or safety;

(5)  is larger than four feet by six feet;

(6)  violates a law;

(7)  contains language, graphics, or any display that would be offensive to the ordinary person; or

(8)  is accompanied by music or other sounds or by streamers or is otherwise distracting to motorists.

(d)  A property owners' association may remove a sign displayed in violation of a restrictive covenant permitted by this section.

Added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 1010 (H.B. 873), Sec. 1, eff. June 18, 2005.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

skipdogg posted:

Oh I'm aware. It's also fun to gently caress with those tyrants when the law is on your side though.

I mean, I hear you, but the statute has enough loopholes to drive a truck through. For just one example, grass is a plant material, so just jamming a sign down into your lawn could violate a covenant if some busybody wants to look close enough. And, of course, they always do. Power corrupts, and HOAs corrupt absolutely.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Marxalot posted:

are you a cop

I saw some people on nextdoor posting a HEADS UP JUST AN FYI NEWS BULLETIN about how now there are ~packs~ of shifty looking individuals (hispanics, largely) running down the road behind my house.

I live a couple blocks from a crossfit gym.

gently caress.

Nope, it’s publicly available data.

gently caress Nextdoor though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1043186573389508609

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I don't know what other drinking game rules will be good for this debate but if Beto straight up calls him 'Lyin' Ted', I'm finishing my drink.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/KHOU/status/1043270365626212358

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Npr Android app with the KUT stream or just radio is having the debate right now, Cruz just tried to spin the shooting of the guy in Dallas killed in his home into something else unsurprisingly.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
These moderaters need to tell Ted to shut the gently caress up when his time runs out.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

loving lol this audience.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Jiro posted:

Npr Android app with the KUT stream or just radio is having the debate right now, Cruz just tried to spin the shooting of the guy in Dallas killed in his home into something else unsurprisingly.

gently caress that

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Dameius posted:

These moderaters need to tell Ted to shut the gently caress up when his time runs out.

i see you've never watched a political debate before welcome to the circus

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Cruz is weaving amazing amounts of bullshit. And just putting it into partisan crap so well it's kind of impressive, if you really weren't paying attention to what he's trying to say and pay attention to how it makes you feel.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Lol Ted Cruz going hard on noted relevant political figure Hilary Clinton

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
CRUZ

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
FARMERS AND RANCHERS

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

I am so on board the Betomobile right now. He's good, he's drat good.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
HILLARY CLINTON

DEATHTAX

HILLARY DEATHTAX

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

This is getting harder to listen to, everything that comes out of Cruz's mouth pisses me off. And it's a finely honed tactics befit of being a champion debater.

He knows how to nitpick poo poo and suck you into bullshit arguments. Beto is trying to fight this by being calm and factual. I don't think it's working.

Also the moderators seem pretty easy on Cruz.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efTm9eZ1qvM&hd=1

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Jiro posted:

This is getting harder to listen to, everything that comes out of Cruz's mouth pisses me off.

thats how normal people respond to cruz

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
yeahyeah sure cruz you are so libertarian that's why you oppose abortion right

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
DRUGS DRIVING CARS

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Ted Cruz is basically just lying at this point? Why am I not surprised.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Winning a debate with voters is not anywhere near scored the same way as winning debate on a college team.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
What do you mean isy lying at this point? That is how he started and he hasn't stopped since.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
oh god cruz is gonna do the tear jerking thing

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
FACTS ARE LEFT WING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Cruz stepped into an unforced errors there that's a result of his debate training. Beto says he wants to end the War on Drugs and Cruz said "Yes, yes but he didn't dispute that he wants to start a debate on it!" He's focusing on the letter rather than the spirit.