Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Did anyone else ever have a period as a white belt where they felt like learning more made them worse? I feel literally like I am doing worse than I was 2 months ago and I feel like its because I now know what I should be doing and I am trying to do it and failing instead of just flailing about and hoping for the best

Only judge yourself against yourself. You are improving but everyone else in your class is improving too so it can be hard to see. Just ask yourself if you could win against your year ago self and that is good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Do you guys ever have weeks or months when you just feel great about your grappling? I feel so great lately. Everybody is scared of my favourite submissions, and my coach seems to be showing me off and using me as an example a lot. It seems like everything we do in class lately is applicable to my A-game. Every week it gets a little bit stronger. I seem to be learning at a greater rate than I have been for many years. Feelin goooooood.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I do. Those usually last a week max then I encounter something that throws me back into a confused state.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

How long does it take to get a blue belt?

Back when I started training, the gyms I was at all took their time: 2-3 years was pretty normal, but more wouldn't be unusual. Sometimes it went faster, but that was if say a guy had extensive judo experience.

I ask because back then I'd read online about people fretting over the dilution of belts. That ~back in the day~ it used to take real work, but nowadays (5+ years ago now) gyms were becoming more mcdojo-ized, belts were being handed out like candy, making the belts worth less than they were in the past.

Now that I'm back at training, I'm wondering if this has been borne out. At the gym I train at, it seems like it hasn't. The blues have all been training for years. Whites with several stripes are 2-3 years in. I'm a blue myself, and so far all the blues I've faced have, well, felt like blue belts. Purple belts are consistently better; sometimes a great deal better.

What do you guys think?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
There comes a time as a white belt where you start to think about what you should do in certain situations instead of just spazzing around and that causes hesitation because you don't actually know much. I'm just a blue belt, but I know it happened to me and I see it all the time with new white belts. Everyone starts out just pushing really hard, but when they realise they should think about what they're doing a bit more they ease way back to think about things.

It's a good sign, just keep rolling and things will start to come together.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Count Roland posted:

Back when I started training, the gyms I was at all took their time: 2-3 years was pretty normal, but more wouldn't be unusual. Sometimes it went faster, but that was if say a guy had extensive judo experience.

I ask because back then I'd read online about people fretting over the dilution of belts. That ~back in the day~ it used to take real work, but nowadays (5+ years ago now) gyms were becoming more mcdojo-ized, belts were being handed out like candy, making the belts worth less than they were in the past.

Now that I'm back at training, I'm wondering if this has been borne out. At the gym I train at, it seems like it hasn't. The blues have all been training for years. Whites with several stripes are 2-3 years in. I'm a blue myself, and so far all the blues I've faced have, well, felt like blue belts. Purple belts are consistently better; sometimes a great deal better.

What do you guys think?

Obviously it depends how much time you spent on the mat, but it took me 11 months (after getting back into bjj after a 10+ year break) and I don't feel like it was too fast. Firas Zihabi says he feels like someone is ready for their blue belt when they can roll with someone new to grappling who is bigger than them and still take charge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXRstwdZ4Fo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Count Roland posted:

What do you guys think?

i think the internet is skewing things. enthusiastic people can have unlimited seminars on youtube whenever they're not actively at class and so i'd be stunned if a 1 year fresh blue belt nowadays wasn't at least as talented as a 3 year fresh blue belt from back in the day

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

It took me 3 months to get my blue belt so I'm not really an accurate gauge on the subject.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Took me 2 1/2 years since the day I started. With all the time off I had to take for various reason I probably only trained 1 3/4 of that whole time.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Most people get it in 3 years at my gym. I agree with Firas's take on things and think that training so much for blue is unnecessary

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It took me 2.5 with solid judo experience to get my blue, but my club is really lazy and there was a two-year period where literally nobody at my club got any belts, and then 12 blue belts went out at once.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean ultimately I dont think it really matters that much. If you get your blue belt from a mcdojo then you will still get choked out by a white belt at a better program. The belt is the signifier, not the sign.

Then again, my school does an unofficial green belt just so white belts dont get frustrated for those first 2-3 years

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

JaySB posted:

It took me 3 months to get my blue belt so I'm not really an accurate gauge on the subject.

What were the circumstances behind this?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Count Roland posted:

someone who has done wrestling before starting bjj?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Drewjitsu posted:

You're doing better all the time. Trust me.

Ok I have a question about this: Do you get better from a series of classes like going consistently for a few months or can you get better from a single class?

I want to think that you can get better from a single class like if you are drilling something you like over and over (like I did with triangles today). But not if you go to a class where you learn something that you will never add to your game.

Thoughts??

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean there are miles of difference between drills and rolling for me. I could drill moves for months but until I get a feel for using them in an actual situation its not really helpful for me

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Ok I have a question about this: Do you get better from a series of classes like going consistently for a few months or can you get better from a single class?

I want to think that you can get better from a single class like if you are drilling something you like over and over (like I did with triangles today). But not if you go to a class where you learn something that you will never add to your game.

Thoughts??

Its all about consistency.

I've had classes where a technique finally clicked with me. But it wasn't that one class that was special, it was all those other times I'd practiced the move, and this was the day it came together on the mat.

If you often are in individual classes that work for you, then you'll probably progress more quickly. And one-offs like seminars, or private lessons can be very beneficial. But if you're not training regularly it isn't going to matter too much.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Count Roland posted:

Its all about consistency.

I've had classes where a technique finally clicked with me. But it wasn't that one class that was special, it was all those other times I'd practiced the move, and this was the day it came together on the mat.

If you often are in individual classes that work for you, then you'll probably progress more quickly. And one-offs like seminars, or private lessons can be very beneficial. But if you're not training regularly it isn't going to matter too much.

Yeah I think im figuring that out too. A friend and training partner and I have been consistently drilling triangles and then live sparring attempts to catch it. I feel like all those classes where I (and he) didnt feel like I was getting it or it wasnt "my move" kind of led to a moment where both of us decided that after class we are going to spend another 15 minutes until we both finally feel like we got it down. Its been about a week but consistently drilling it has gotten both to a point where we are pretty comfortable with setting it up and finishing it.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 21, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Count Roland posted:

I was training twice a day 5 to 6 times a week when I first started.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

How do you guys use DVDs and videos to develop? I feel like seeing it doesn't really help me learn a move. I always tell my partner when we practice that I want to feel the move first. Having someone hit me with it does way more for me than seeing it

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How do you guys use DVDs and videos to develop? I feel like seeing it doesn't really help me learn a move. I always tell my partner when we practice that I want to feel the move first. Having someone hit me with it does way more for me than seeing it

Break the move down to individual components. At least thats what helps me. I was just watching one on the Ghost escape and fortunately we went over it in class, but watching the video and breaking down where this arm goes, and where this leg is positioned and understanding the mechanics is necessary because those little details go a long way.

Just an opinion.

JaySB posted:

I was training twice a day 5 to 6 times a week when I first started.

Ok another question: Are you promoted faster based on how much you are coming in and how fast you are improving or are most instructors like: "Nope you havent been a white belt for a year yet (despite all that), Im not giving you your blue belt"??

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 21, 2018

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Ok another question: Are you promoted faster based on how much you are coming in and how fast you are improving or are most instructors like: "Nope you havent been a white belt for a year yet (despite all that), Im not giving you your blue belt"??

It's going to depend on the instructor. My school doesn't formally test, you just one day get smacked with your new belt by our head instructor while you're rolling. He deliberately fucks with guys too - a close training partner of mine started at the same time as I did and is a much better grappler than I am, largely because he puts in twice as many mat hours as I do. Yet for some reason our instructor gave me my blue a month and a half before he gave my buddy his, and was pretty open about the fact that the only reason for the delay was because he was loving with my buddy. I like that approach because it emphasizes that it doesn't matter what color your belt is. Are you better at choking people than you were yesterday, and are you better at not getting choked than you were yesterday? If so, great, and who cares what color fabric you tie around your waist if you're even a big enough nerd to train in the gi in the first place.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

The Gracie Humaita system does stripes and tracks hours. Each 25 classes you train as a white belt you get one stripe. After you get 4 stripes you're eligible to test for your blue belt., the blue best test is a demonstration of knowledge, for blue belt it's 2 sweeps, subs, and escapes from every position, 2 takedowns, and 5 self defense moves.

I'm missing my purple belt test because I'm in Europe right now :sad:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My coach kinda just gives you stripes/belts whenever in a sort of consistent manner, unless you're a competitor, then he tends to promote you quicker if it starts to look kinda like you're sand bagging your division or you medal at pans or something. You can, however; tell when you are gonna grab a belt promotion, because you'll end up rolling with him near the end of class and it'll feel like a century before times up.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

JaySB posted:

The Gracie Humaita system does stripes and tracks hours. Each 25 classes you train as a white belt you get one stripe. After you get 4 stripes you're eligible to test for your blue belt., the blue best test is a demonstration of knowledge, for blue belt it's 2 sweeps, subs, and escapes from every position, 2 takedowns, and 5 self defense moves.

I'm missing my purple belt test because I'm in Europe right now :sad:

I’m at a Humaita school now and we don’t use that system. My coach just kind of promotes people whenever, I believe. I’m only allowed to wear blue and white gis, though, so I guess he didn’t toss out everything

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Count Roland posted:

What do you guys think?

Its a lot about mat time at my gym. We had a guy go from white to blue at our gym in 6 months from nothing, but he was training 5 days a week for two 2-hour sessions a day for 6 months, not to mention going to multiple other open mats nearby. I've been training maybe 5 hours a week on average for 11 months and have about a third the mat time he has gotten since he started and I'm not at all surprised he is better and also got promoted sooner. The average seems to be ~2.5 years to blue for most people at my gym who only train a couple days a week. We also dont do stripes at all, our instructor thinks theyre silly and we should just train for the sake of training.

On the bright side, I'm getting better too, and caught the newly promoted guy with 2 ezekiels in a single roll last week and I felt really good about myself after.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I got my blue in exactly one year. I was training 5 to 6 times a week and even doing double classes some days. One year was definitely faster than average at that time.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Yuns posted:

I got my blue in exactly one year. I was training 5 to 6 times a week and even doing double classes some days. One year was definitely faster than average at that time.

Yuns I forget did you get your black from Renzo? Have you been at Renzo's the entire time you've trained?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I got my blue in a year thru the time honored method of having done no-gi for some time before. I'm making up for it with purple by moving to new gyms very often

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

butros posted:

Yuns I forget did you get your black from Renzo? Have you been at Renzo's the entire time you've trained?
Yes, I got my black belt directly from Renzo. I've been at Renzo's the entire time.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Any one actually have cervical disk replacement surgery or fusion and return to training? More neck pain than training lately...

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

heeebrew posted:

Any one actually have cervical disk replacement surgery or fusion and return to training? More neck pain than training lately...
Some of my teammates have.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Count Roland posted:

What do you guys think?

It's more useful to think of it in terms of mat hours and not a time duration, though it's also harder to track. Someone who trains 2 hours a week is going to progress much more slowly than someone training 10 hours a week.

As far as ~dilution~, I've only ever rolled with one blue belt who was just objectively bad at BJJ, and every black belt I've ever rolled with might as well have been a wizard compared to me, so the system seems to be working pretty well despite having no universally standardized criteria. If anything, it's probably gone more in the other direction at some schools, where you have coaches holding back their *very* talented lower belts so that they can rack up prestigious tournament wins for their gym.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Based on criticism of my sleep schedule in this thread, I decided to experiment and sleep as much as I needed on weekends and also to force myself to sleep more. When I turned off my alarm on weekends and just let myself naturally wake up, I wake up after 5 or so hours and feel completely fine. One day I slept 6 and last night I slept 4 and a half hours but still feel fine. I don't have insomnia and have no trouble falling asleep so on some days I went back to sleep to make myself sleep 8 hours and even tried sleeping 8+ on a couple of days. I didn't feel any better with 8 hours of sleep and in fact felt worse if I slept 9+ hours. I can make myself sleep 8 hours but it doesn't seem to benefit me and feels like a huge waste of time. I just don't think I need more than 5 to 6 normally.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I heard that Guy Richie got his black belt from Renzo. Any other celebrities that are secretly good at BJJ?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

Based on criticism of my sleep schedule in this thread, I decided to experiment and sleep as much as I needed on weekends and also to force myself to sleep more. When I turned off my alarm on weekends and just let myself naturally wake up, I wake up after 5 or so hours and feel completely fine. One day I slept 6 and last night I slept 4 and a half hours but still feel fine. I don't have insomnia and have no trouble falling asleep so on some days I went back to sleep to make myself sleep 8 hours and even tried sleeping 8+ on a couple of days. I didn't feel any better with 8 hours of sleep and in fact felt worse if I slept 9+ hours. I can make myself sleep 8 hours but it doesn't seem to benefit me and feels like a huge waste of time. I just don't think I need more than 5 to 6 normally.

Plenty of people function well on a limited number of hours of sleep. Especially after years of conditioning your body to do so. A change isn't going to have immediate positive effect either.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MRLOLAST posted:

I heard that Guy Richie got his black belt from Renzo. Any other celebrities that are secretly good at BJJ?

Al Bundy has a brown belt from the Machados iirc.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Ed O'Neill (Al Bundy) is a black belt under Rorion Gracie. Sean Patrick Flanery of Boondock Saints is a black belt and has his own school. Guy Richie trained in our morning gi class with us years ago back when he was a brown belt and he is legit good. Paul Walker was a brown belt before his death. A lot of other celebs are blues and purples but not so many browns and blacks.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Dave Bautista of WWE/Guardians of the galaxy fame is a purple belt under Cesar Gracie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Think hes a brown now.

Ashton Kutcher posted a photo of him getting his blue belt.

CM Punk was, allegedly, a blue belt with the one Gracie who is married to a WWE girl (Gracie Breakdown, which idk) prior to his UFC debut. But having seen his grappling in his 2 UFC fights I have a hard time believing that's accurate.