Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

They don't care about his brain trauma, mostly because next to no one knows about it. His mom, girl, and coaches know, but it's not like his press release on his retirement explained why. He basically just said "I'm done now, thanks for everything".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Notorious ZSB posted:

They don't care about his brain trauma, mostly because next to no one knows about it. His mom, girl, and coaches know, but it's not like his press release on his retirement explained why. He basically just said "I'm done now, thanks for everything".

Shouldn't anyone who saw his fight with Guevara have noticed the obvious? Even if you just excuse his problems with dodging and landing hits to having to fight a southpaw, Ippo was getting knocked down by grazes to his head.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I don't get why Ippo wouldn't make a public statement saying that "Hey the doctor told me that If I continue to box I'm gonna give myself brain damage. So I gotta stop. Thanks for your support."

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

oh my god it went full circle

it was just tyson vs lennox lewis from 2002

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what kind of boxers and boxing fans aren't familiar with the concept of traumatic brain damage? it's an integral part of the sport.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what kind of boxers and boxing fans aren't familiar with the concept of traumatic brain damage? it's an integral part of the sport.
MMA is actually a lot safer than boxing as far as brain injuries go.

Boxing is basically tailormade to give you brain damage because generally you're going for a knockout via a headshot- liver punches naturally put anyone on the ground but they're a lot less common. The way boxers fight upright and the way the count works causes boxers to sustain even more headpunching because being knocked out on your feet from a full fighting stance in boxing usually causes the shock from the fall to wake you up, so someone who is definitely concussed can just pop right back onto their feet and take a stance to continue the fight even when they're barely conscious of what they're doing. In MMA if you get hit on the button and get KO'd the guy can just ground and pound you and the ref will immediately call the fight the instant he notices you can't resist.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Please brain damage can be overcome with enough FIGHTING SPIRIT! Just gotta smash your head into some trees so your brain can be hurt but heal to be stronger. Some people go the next step and headbutt cars instead

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

the ones that believe the samurai bushido spirit conquers all

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
chapter 1234 is out.
Miyata, current boxing champion, please dont swing at your co-workers.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ChaseSP posted:

Please brain damage can be overcome with enough FIGHTING SPIRIT! Just gotta smash your head into some trees so your brain can be hurt but heal to be stronger. Some people go the next step and headbutt cars instead

A brain made out of nothing but scar tissue is the strongest brain.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Kumi and Ippo need to do a thing, anything besides staring at each other wistfully.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Kumi and Ippo need to do a thing, anything besides staring at each other wistfully.

Never gonna happen and you know it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The only things happen in Shounen with couples is kissing or kids. And Ippo can’t even bother to kiss after.. what 800 chapters? Yeah it ain’t happening

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think ippo has even realized that he is gay as all get out

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
It's weird that Ippo hasn't even held hands with whats her face, but he's been jacked off several times by Takamura

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shindragon posted:

The only things happen in Shounen with couples is kissing or kids. And Ippo can’t even bother to kiss after.. what 800 chapters? Yeah it ain’t happening

Hinomaru zumo had them at least visit a love hotel before she got cock blocked

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

i don't think ippo has even realized that he is gay as all get out

Ippo just assumes that he loves Kumi because he thinks she's a nice person and gets along with her.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Itd be cool if Ippo and Miyata just admitted being gay as hell for each other

And then the manga is just their hilarious gay hijinks managing Takamura on his way to the tippy top

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ElGroucho posted:

managing Takamura on his way to the tippy top

Speaking of which, how much longer do you think Morikawa is gonna waste our time with middleweight title defenses before we finally see the Super Middleweight title match?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Jose posted:

Hinomaru zumo had them at least visit a love hotel before she got cock blocked

I honestly forgot about that. Haha my bad

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Some good Takamura action in 1235. This is basically The Simpsons of manga now but I'm still morbidly curious how long they're going to dance around Ippo un-retiring.

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry

Takes No Damage posted:

Some good Takamura action in 1235. This is basically The Simpsons of manga now but I'm still morbidly curious how long they're going to dance around Ippo un-retiring.

They will dance around it for 500 more chapters.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

love how takamura completely defeats them both

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

1236 is translated and out. Gaze into the abyss.

A rather unsurprising return. Time for Ippo to get his first student.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

I think this is still set in the 90s so maybe they aren't as aware of brain injury.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Ippo is out changing lives in 1237.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Umezawa talking about bullying, given he was Ippo's bully in chapter 1, will never stop being funny.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Ippo you idiot.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh boy this is gonna turn to Rocky 5 ain't it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Flubby posted:

Ippo you idiot.

just pretend I quoted this after every chapter

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1238 is out. Chapter 1239 is supposed to follow shortly.

People seem to be thinking he cheats to get the 5 leaves.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I just wanna know whats the angle of this. Is Ippo this brain dead? Punch drunk? :v:

Is this gonna be just Ippo takes him down because dude is cleary using boxing so he can beat up kids later.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

And we got 1239.

Shindragon posted:

I just wanna know whats the angle of this. Is Ippo this brain dead? Punch drunk? :v:

Is this gonna be just Ippo takes him down because dude is cleary using boxing so he can beat up kids later.

Teru ended up being a pretty cool guy so I'm really hoping that we don't get a Rocky V situation with Taihei just being a jerk.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 21, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Was a page skipped?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Didn't seem like it, though the leaf catching thing seemed bullshit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I believe in this cheating bully and I hope he inherits Ippo's legacy and defeats Miyata or whatever.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I do not like the cheating bully and hope he loses to an even bigger cheater in his debut match

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I hate cheating bullies and I hope Ippo beats the poo poo out of him while sparring.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Remember when there was a cheating bully and Mashiba went and Tyrannosaurus Rekt his poo poo so loving bad he smashed his motorcycle into oncoming traffic and got brain damaged all to hell?

That was some good Morikawa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Didn't seem like it, though the leaf catching thing seemed bullshit.

7 to 8 seemed like an awkward jump.