Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just put in an order for an xps 13-9370 from Dell Outlet less than 24 hours ago and already got the shipping notice. Yay. So much faster and cheaper than built to order.
Now I just hope the device wasn't returned for a defect.

E: if you don't see the exact build you want, just keep checking back. I didn't see a 16gb build with a 1080p screen at first, but four showed up an hour later. It looks like available inventory gets updated in small batches.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

isndl posted:

Like all thin and lights the 2-in-1s can run into thermal issues, particularly when gaming. This can be mitigated via undervolting and disabling turbo boosting on the CPU. A more serious enthusiast may opt to also repaste, but if your wife is just doing light gaming she's probably fine with the former two changes which can be done in software, or might even be fine with no adjustments at all.

Interesting. If she has problems with it after we get her one, I'll look into that.

Anyone have recommendations for good Dell 2-in-1s? We're looking for something that has at least a 15" screen, a 256GB SSD, and at least 8GB RAM. It seems like reviews for various models are all over the place or focus on things like "I think this laptop is ugly!"

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
Quick question: I have a universal dock for my home laptop that gives video out to two monitors, a keyboard, and a mouse. I now have an iMac with a broken screen that I want to be able to switch to with a (hopefully) a KVM switch.

Is this possible with the dock? Is there another solution I don't know about?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How does this look for a computer that would just be used for light internet use / video streaming and work processor stuff? Arrow Direct / Electronics is pretty fantastic, so I might ask what kind of SSD it is and what frequency the RAM is. My roommate wants to take some online courses (not sure what in, but not CAD / Photoshop / programming) since she’s got a baby at home, but they don’t have much money because again, they have a baby. I know she might think it’s ugly, but if I tell her how durable they are (again, baby) and point out how nobody is going to steal a computer that looks 18 years old she will probably see the benefit.

https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA5HA5UB9311

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

Interesting. If she has problems with it after we get her one, I'll look into that.

Anyone have recommendations for good Dell 2-in-1s? We're looking for something that has at least a 15" screen, a 256GB SSD, and at least 8GB RAM. It seems like reviews for various models are all over the place or focus on things like "I think this laptop is ugly!"

I bought the XPS 15 2 in 1 in July and I love it. It can play the games I like on medium setting without it getting too loud or hot. Divinity Original Sin 2 and ESO. I got a Bamboo Ink pen for $25 refurb on Amazon and am having fun trying to learn that. Battery life has been real nice, but I am coming from a crappy laptop, so I am biased. I got the non 4k screen and it is so bright and yummy and I like it.

Possible issues? Soldered RAM, so get as much as you want up front. The keyboard is low travel which doesn't bother me, but I don't type a ton. The lack of regular USB ports is annoying.

I like folding this thing over in my lap and playing solitaire on the touch screen, or just web browsing. It is big and heavy compared to some, but I have always been a lap desk person so it doesn't bother me.

I totally recommend it, but it isn't for everyone. If you aren't sure you will use the touchscreen a regular XPS is probably better.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How does this look for a computer that would just be used for light internet use / video streaming and work processor stuff? Arrow Direct / Electronics is pretty fantastic, so I might ask what kind of SSD it is and what frequency the RAM is. My roommate wants to take some online courses (not sure what in, but not CAD / Photoshop / programming) since she’s got a baby at home, but they don’t have much money because again, they have a baby. I know she might think it’s ugly, but if I tell her how durable they are (again, baby) and point out how nobody is going to steal a computer that looks 18 years old she will probably see the benefit.

I'm using the older T420 and I'm loving it for school. So far it's mainly been on OneNote and browser/pdf duty, and I honestly think I can use it forever if I can find a good source on new replacement batteries. I think the most heavy load I ever put on it was running VMs as test environments for the training classes I ran at my old job, and it never felt like it was slowing down, let alone chugging.

Just make sure to ask what resolution the monitor is, as I don't see that listed in the ad. I've got the 1600x900 screen and am happy with it, but the default option is usually 1366x768, which is going to feel cramped. Since I'm planning to run this thing into the ground I'm tempted to try a panel swap to put in an IPS 1920x1080 display, but I'm worried about what effect that might have on the battery life.

If you think the durability's going to be a selling point, here's a video to check out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfzvjUgqr4

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 20, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Good point, I'll ask about that too. Although she probably isn't ready to buy anything yet, she's very short on money. Her boyfriend basically hasn't worked for a week and a half because his retail job keeps sending him home because there's not enough work. Which is extremely lovely, but that's retail.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That looks fine; the only thing I'm curious about is the display resolution (ideally 1600x900) but the RAM, SSD, and CPU are all fine otherwise.

nerox
May 20, 2001
How long does it usually take for these new Ryzen chips to take from announcement to a purchasable product?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Minimum one month, usually flagship products first and budget models last. Intel has been hemmoraging for the last three years so I would expect AMD to ship faster than Intel at this point.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Atomizer posted:

That looks fine; the only thing I'm curious about is the display resolution (ideally 1600x900) but the RAM, SSD, and CPU are all fine otherwise.

The HD version of this model is 1366 x 768 - the HD+ one is 1600x900. Sadly I can't find anywhere on the newegg specs that say which one this particular one is.

I'm interested in cheap laptops like this myself, actually. Something lightweight, inexpensive, fast (for its price) good battery life, and good for basic browsing, typing, and media-watching.

I want to (in the new couple months) get a drawing tablet PC as my 'main' portable-PC investment for like $2k+/- to do professional animation work on the go. (I.E. A surface pro or a cintiq mobilestudio pro or something similar.) But having a low-end cheap thing for just easily taking into rooms to watch stuff or do minor tasks would be handy. (Also could potentially play youtube videos nearby while sketching on my tablet pc when on the go too.)

Anyway, if anyone knows of other cheap-but-good laptops like this, I'd love to know. I'd prefer something that's not a chromebook though.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 21, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I won't try to convince anybody to get a chromebook but just for the sake of enlightenment i'd be really interested to know what the hesitations are

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just scraped off all the texture dots on the trackpad sticker and polished it with some 1500 grit sandpaper, and man I wish I knew that was a thing you could do sooner. I have mouse and button control turned off since I prefer the trackpoint for that, but I use it all the time as a scrollwheel.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Statutory Ape posted:

I won't try to convince anybody to get a chromebook but just for the sake of enlightenment i'd be really interested to know what the hesitations are

There's several windows programs I'd like to be able to use in a pinch on the go, either to manage files or to modify something. I plan on doing that with an artist tablet PC as well but being able to do that from a small & cheap but decent little laptop would give me more flexibility. (Also I can install and play my lower-end pixel-art-ish steam games.)

That said - I'm not 100% against a chromebook. The 'cheap PC' route might be served by a cheap refurbished chromebook; I sort of see using a cheapo laptop as basically a glorified TV remote. (In addition to typing and basic productivity stuff.)

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Spacedad posted:

There's several windows programs I'd like to be able to use in a pinch on the go, either to manage files or to modify something. I plan on doing that with an artist tablet PC as well but being able to do that from a small & cheap but decent little laptop would give me more flexibility. (Also I can install and play my lower-end pixel-art-ish steam games.)

That said - I'm not 100% against a chromebook. The 'cheap PC' route might be served by a cheap refurbished chromebook; I sort of see using a cheapo laptop as basically a glorified TV remote. (In addition to typing and basic productivity stuff.)
Comedy option: Get a cheap laptop that is also a tablet. For example, you could buy this used Thinkpad Twist for $170.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Gobbeldygook posted:

Comedy option: Get a cheap laptop that is also a tablet. For example, you could buy this used Thinkpad Twist for $170.

:lol: wow

In all seriousness, I will be investing in a professional-quality tablet PC for myself later on.

One option that I ruled out: I was actually informed that Dell's XPS 2 in 1s actually use Wacom's pen tech. This is true, but they use the lower-end of Wacom's pen tech - so definitely not anywhere the same level of fidelity in drawing - which would be good for sketching but not really for doing serious work. I'd want a professional-grade product that I can get professional work done on.

I'm hoping Wacom updates the Cintiq Mobilestudio Pro line soon - their current specs are a bit behind and lack thunderbolt ports. (EGPU on such a device would be great. Then again, you can always use the mobilestudio pro as a tablet display with an existing desktop, which is essentially the same kind of flexibility in a more direct way than an EGPU.)

If I was an illustrator or comic artist instead of an animator, I would definitely want to get an ipad pro though - so much of the professional illustration and comic work you see these days are done on ipad pros, because artists like being able to flexibly use them anywhere and both their pen sensitivity & display are top-notch. But because I am an animator, I need to use a lot of software you can't really use on an IoS device. (Makes me want to see an ipad pro with MacOS.)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 21, 2018

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Spacedad posted:

:lol: wow

In all seriousness, I will be investing in a professional-quality tablet PC for myself later on.
To be clear that was only a suggestion for a cheap PC suitable for watching Netflix and playing Undertale with the bonus that you could doodle on the screen and absolutely not a suggestion for something on which you could do your serious animator work.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I mean, a cheap tablet 2 in 1 would be okay too I guess.

Whatever I get I would obv want something that's generally going to be a smooth browsing typing and media play experience + good battery life, for the value of the low price. Older-gen refurbished 900p display laptops are just fine for those purposes.

Edit: A customer actually gave me an answer back on the display resolution for the lenovo someone posted above. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5HA5UB9311

quote:

Q: What's the resolution on this model?

A: It depends, and unfortunately you can’t tell from the description. This model was made in several different resolutions; mine turned out to be 1600x900, which was great (some models are only 1366x768). I contacted Arrow before I bought it and they couldn’t tell me either, but said they have a very generous return policy and you can return anything you’re not fully satisfied with. This is the second Thinkpad I’ve bought from them and they both looked brand new.

So you can take a chance on this and return it if it's not your thing. But it's good to hear that these include the 900p displays. I'm assuming the vendor would need to physically crack open the box to find out the display for each of them individually.

But yeah, that little guy looks basically like the kind of thing I would want, at 900p for a cheapo general-use laptop.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 21, 2018

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Faster sleep mode wakeup?

My co worker's 3 year old Lenovo wakes up fairly instantly when he opens it.
When I open my Aero15x 8 it takes a bit longer. Almost like a full boot up, but it isn't. What could be different. He is on Windows 7, im on 10.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Faster sleep mode wakeup?

My co worker's 3 year old Lenovo wakes up fairly instantly when he opens it.
When I open my Aero15x 8 it takes a bit longer. Almost like a full boot up, but it isn't. What could be different. He is on Windows 7, im on 10.
Is it possible you're hibernating rather than suspending to ram?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Spacedad posted:

The HD version of this model is 1366 x 768 - the HD+ one is 1600x900. Sadly I can't find anywhere on the newegg specs that say which one this particular one is.

I'm interested in cheap laptops like this myself, actually. Something lightweight, inexpensive, fast (for its price) good battery life, and good for basic browsing, typing, and media-watching.

I want to (in the new couple months) get a drawing tablet PC as my 'main' portable-PC investment for like $2k+/- to do professional animation work on the go. (I.E. A surface pro or a cintiq mobilestudio pro or something similar.) But having a low-end cheap thing for just easily taking into rooms to watch stuff or do minor tasks would be handy. (Also could potentially play youtube videos nearby while sketching on my tablet pc when on the go too.)

Anyway, if anyone knows of other cheap-but-good laptops like this, I'd love to know. I'd prefer something that's not a chromebook though.

FYI the one I linked definitely doesn't qualify as light, it's something like 4.5 pounds for a 14" laptop. It's also maybe an inch and a half to two inches thick when closed. Battery life would also probably depend on finding a new production battery compatible with it, I'm not sure if mine was replaced when I got it but I get an hour and a half tops on it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nerox posted:

How long does it usually take for these new Ryzen chips to take from announcement to a purchasable product?

Lenovo Japan just announced that they will start selling an AMD Ryzen powered X280, the A285, on September 21, 2018

No idea if it has 2 or 4 pci lanes on the Thunderbolt 3, but it does have Vega graphics built in

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

mystes posted:

Is it possible you're hibernating rather than suspending to ram?

Possibly. I never had a good laptop so I didn't know there was a suspend to ram option. I'll check it out, thanks.

edit: yup. I have switched it to "sleep"

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 21, 2018

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

FYI the one I linked definitely doesn't qualify as light, it's something like 4.5 pounds for a 14" laptop. It's also maybe an inch and a half to two inches thick when closed. Battery life would also probably depend on finding a new production battery compatible with it, I'm not sure if mine was replaced when I got it but I get an hour and a half tops on it.

Good to know. Well I'll keep weighing my options. I will actually be in touch with a bunch of artists and IT people at my new workplace so I might be able to give some of the products I'm interested in a try or get discounts on stuff I need.

But yeah my general plan right now is a to get a general use budget productivity laptop, and invest in a more expensive professional-grade art-tablet pc.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 21, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

FYI the one I linked definitely doesn't qualify as light,

Spacedad posted:

Good to know. Well I'll keep weighing my options.

lol you guyss

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I'm looking for the best gaming laptop I can get for about $900-1000. I'd like it to play Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out.

I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to computer specs so any advice would be appreciated.

I've been looking at Costco laptops and the Lenovo LEGION Y520 caught my eye.

https://www.costco.com/Lenovo-LEGION-Y520-Gaming-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---GeForce-GTX-1060---1080p.product.100403680.html

For $949.99 you get Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor 2.8GHz, 16GB DDR4 (2-DIMM) RAM, 256GB PCle Solid State Drive, and 6GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Graphics.

Is that even an acceptable video card for this day and age?

Right now I've got a 7 year old i7 8GB RAM Asus. It runs XCOM 2 a little slowly and it's been a great workhorse throughout the years. I was looking for another Asus but I couldn't find one in my price range. Should I wait until closer to Christmas for a sale?

Thanks guys.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm looking for the best gaming laptop I can get for about $900-1000. I'd like it to play Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out.

I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to computer specs so any advice would be appreciated.

I've been looking at Costco laptops and the Lenovo LEGION Y520 caught my eye.

https://www.costco.com/Lenovo-LEGION-Y520-Gaming-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---GeForce-GTX-1060---1080p.product.100403680.html

For $949.99 you get Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor 2.8GHz, 16GB DDR4 (2-DIMM) RAM, 256GB PCle Solid State Drive, and 6GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Graphics.

Is that even an acceptable video card for this day and age?

Right now I've got a 7 year old i7 8GB RAM Asus. It runs XCOM 2 a little slowly and it's been a great workhorse throughout the years. I was looking for another Asus but I couldn't find one in my price range. Should I wait until closer to Christmas for a sale?

Thanks guys.

The 1060 is still an excellent midrange GPU, and that laptop is basically identical to the one I typically recommend for around the same price (Acer Helios 3000, ~$1050.) The only upgrade it needs is some kind of HDD for game storage; IIRC you can fit a 2.5" SATA drive internally, or just use any USB3 external drive(s.)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If you're going to install aftermarket storage remember to check the service manual for your prospective purchase to make sure you're comfortable with the process. I helped install a SSD into a Sager today and it needed me to remove the keyboard which was a pain in the rear end, while swapping the SSD in a XPS15 was super simple in comparison (until the screw stripped and had to get Dremeled anyways).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

isndl posted:

If you're going to install aftermarket storage remember to check the service manual for your prospective purchase to make sure you're comfortable with the process. I helped install a SSD into a Sager today and it needed me to remove the keyboard which was a pain in the rear end, while swapping the SSD in a XPS15 was super simple in comparison (until the screw stripped and had to get Dremeled anyways).

Dell XPS are known for having issues with the screws even though they are fairly easy to upgrade and change things like the WiFi card once the bottom cover is off.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My 9670 XPS 15 started creaking when I picked it up last night. It's a very small creak, but it's still annoying, especially since I've had it less than 60 days and it's never left the house. I thin a large part of it is the increased torque on the frame when you pick it up by one corner compared to a 12 or 13" class frame.

By comparison, my X230 is 6 years old, has never creaked once and I've literally lost count the number of countries and sailboat races it's been on. At least 20/5.

Going to keep an eye on the Thinkpad A285 and see if that comes with 4 pci lanes and price out a 1080ti eGPU solution. You can get a 1080ti for $630 these days.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to buy a single stick of 8GB DDR memory to give some new life to an old laptop (plus an SSD, ofc).

Everything I see in Amazon is off-brand and has few reviews. Is there a reliable website or brand for this?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm looking to buy a single stick of 8GB DDR memory to give some new life to an old laptop (plus an SSD, ofc).

Everything I see in Amazon is off-brand and has few reviews. Is there a reliable website or brand for this?

Crucial? Newegg? Fry's, Microcenter?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Ah, sorry, I guess my head has been fried from just buying from Amazon for years. Thanks!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DDR3 ram is literally a commodity bought and sold on an exchange that also trades corn and wheat

Match the numbers of what you have vs what you're buying and you'll be good

It's possible the solder joint might fail at some point in the future but unlikely. You might be able to measure some single digit performance gains by buying some special brand but you wouldn't know if someone swapped one 8gb stick for another if they didn't tell you.

TL;DR don't think about it too much

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, definitely not worried about min-maxing, just going to an SSD will make this thing feel like from the future to this person, I was just worried about buying some off-brand crap that would break down in 6 months.

Thanks!

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
I'm thinking about doing a display upgrade on my laptop. Can anyone point me to some resources for figuring out compatibility and finding parts? I'm used to desktops where everything's standardized so like... I'm not sure if I have to get OEM parts or if I can go off the map as long as the form factors match.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

betamax hipster posted:

I'm thinking about doing a display upgrade on my laptop. Can anyone point me to some resources for figuring out compatibility and finding parts? I'm used to desktops where everything's standardized so like... I'm not sure if I have to get OEM parts or if I can go off the map as long as the form factors match.

Just got a “genuine Lenovo ips screen 1080p” from some Newegg reseller.

It’s dog poo poo and viewing angles and everything are every bit as bad as the 1366x768 screen it replaced. Brightness controls don’t work either.It was like $90 and the seller gave me back $24!

The laptops we have here with the factory 1080 screens are much better.

So what I’m saying is research the gently caress out of whatever you buy.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

or sell your old laptop and get one with the screen you want

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dr. Despair posted:

or sell your old laptop and get one with the screen you want

True - but this was a work laptop. T550S I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

True - but this was a work laptop. T550S I believe
You replaced the panel on your work laptop?