Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

TV Zombie posted:

Is it possible to get the VM cast back together for this? Surely, they must be doing other things? Also, why does this get brought back when Firefly is still dead in the ground?

They can pretty much do the show with just Kristen and Chase Graves.

She seems to be OK with doing stuff for the fans even if it is well below her pay grade at this stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People need to get over Firefly. The only guy who would actually come back was killed off.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rhyno posted:

People need to get over Firefly. The only guy who would actually come back was killed off.

:agreed: Alan Tudyk is somehow in everything though, so that's not really a stretch

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It was just a flesh wound.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Don't get ahead of yourself. His character arc feels disembodied with the rest of the story so I would call it a cameo.

I feel like Fillion unfairly gets it in the neck with regards to his Santa Clarita Diet appearances. He certainly comes out ahead of McHale or someone like that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nobody wants to work with Adam Baldwin either. Like, ever again.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Animal Lover is a good actor. He just need to shut down his Twitter account.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

less laughter posted:

lbh, you'll finish it tonight

I'm going to the pub tonight cause I have a social life :smug:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Maniac is really loving good and somehow not at all what I expected from Cary Fukunaga. I’m just over halfway finished with the third episode; it’s definitely as intense as you’d expect from that trailer, but it’s also bitterly, brutally funny.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Maniac is so loving weird.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think Firefly is the first time I can think of there being something with an insufferable fanbase but also being good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

China is supposed to be a huge cultural influence in the galaxy but they can't bother to have even one Asian/Chinese character. Show is racist.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lycus posted:

Maniac is so loving weird.

This show seriously needs a topic because wow there's a lot to unpack

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

swickles posted:

I think Firefly is the first time I can think of there being something with an insufferable fanbase but also being good.
*extremely long sigh*

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

This show seriously needs a topic because wow there's a lot to unpack

There is one tho

I’m stuck at work making tv and am dying to run home and watch tv, specifically that

:sigh:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

theflyingexecutive posted:

There is one tho

I’m stuck at work making tv and am dying to run home and watch tv, specifically that

:sigh:

Ahhh so there is. I would have found it eventually I guess.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

swickles posted:

Same, only insufferable backlash.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I liked Firefly very much at the time but I definitely was kind of turned off by the fanbase, and the Whedon fanbase in general that seemed like they had to call everything he did utter genius and any failure the fault of studios or whoever out to destroy him. Those auteur obsessed fanbases continue to weird me out today.

That was also like 100 years ago and dear God there's been a million shows since then. Firefly wasn't THAT good or different. But I'd probably say the same thing about Veronica Mars. So whatever. There's a million other things for me to watch.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I feel like Fillion unfairly gets it in the neck with regards to his Santa Clarita Diet appearances. He certainly comes out ahead of McHale or someone like that.

Maybe it's not technically a cameo, but seeing him in the show was kind of a surprise, the praises I hear for Olyphant and Barrymore pretty much buried any mention of him. That said, I love the show, and I loved his part of it as well.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They way things are shaping up Michaela Coel is probably going win an award for Black Earth Rising

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Firefly was great and also had an irritating fanbase. I don't think this is controversial.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Roger cross skips leg day.... say it isn't so!
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn9PhNWhkGr/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1xgqwmq119ah9

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

They way things are shaping up Michaela Coel is probably going win an award for Black Earth Rising

The show's excellent. Episode two was completely unexpected and very very good.

Buuuuut. I think Michaela Coel is miscast. It's fun seeing her do something completely out of her wheelhouse -- this proves, if nothing else, that's she's a strong dramatic actress on top of being a gifted comedian. But I think the character is far more vulnerable, on paper, than she is on screen. (I keep on comparing her to what John Goodman's doing as her offsider, which is probably unfair.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jesus. I'm not one to usually single out individual episodes of a show but I'm binging Castle Rock and Episode 7 "The Queen" just knocked the wind out of me. Like literally, that's how I feel. Like I just got socked in the gut and need to take a breath. That was something else.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Started Maniac and I don't want to spoil myself in its thread so: my extremely poor high school level japanese is long gone, so when aimee is talking to her big boss early on, is her japanese extremely basic 'hello my name is / I live at / my favourite food is' type stuff? The captions stopped for me there and there seemed to be a lot of repeated basic sounding phrases. If so that's hilarious.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I watched the first episode of Maniac and I have no loving clue what is happening

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

I liked Firefly very much at the time but I definitely was kind of turned off by the fanbase, and the Whedon fanbase in general that seemed like they had to call everything he did utter genius and any failure the fault of studios or whoever out to destroy him. Those auteur obsessed fanbases continue to weird me out today.

I've seen a couple of episodes of Firefly and they were fine, but it honestly is 15 years of constant gushing about how ingenious and unique it was that actually puts me off watching the lot. Petty of me, I know, but I'm a venal creature.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This is the best advertisement I've seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZuayQFD51w

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rarity posted:

I watched the first episode of Maniac and I have no loving clue what is happening

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've seen a couple of episodes of Firefly and they were fine, but it honestly is 15 years of constant gushing about how ingenious and unique it was that actually puts me off watching the lot. Petty of me, I know, but I'm a venal creature.

A lot of the concepts are ripped straight from Cowboy Bebop and I think Whedon even admitted this at one point.

Western in space isn't the most original or unique idea.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
There weren't exactly a huge amount of space westerns on at the time. It's a pretty unique concept even if there was once an anime about it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wandle Cax posted:

There weren't exactly a huge amount of space westerns on at the time. It's a pretty unique concept even if there was once an anime about it

Battlestar Galactica is a space western. Outland is a space western. There's at least two Doctor Who episodes that are space westerns. Motherfucking Star Wars is a space western, Lucas has said western serials heavily influenced the story and setting.

loving BRAVESTARRRRRR

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watched the first four episodes of Maniac last night and I honestly don’t know any more than the rest of you

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm on episode 5 now and I still have no idea but Jonah Hill and Emma Stone in swanky 40s fashion dancing with a zombie is so my jam

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Battlestar Galactica is a space western. Outland is a space western. There's at least two Doctor Who episodes that are space westerns. Motherfucking Star Wars is a space western, Lucas has said western serials heavily influenced the story and setting.

loving BRAVESTARRRRRR

If you want to be really pedantic you could probably muster some argument that Star Trek has some western elements (Wagon Train to the stars and all that).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you want to be really pedantic you could probably muster some argument that Star Trek has some western elements (Wagon Train to the stars and all that).

IT IS.

Space Western is at the basis of SO MUCH scifi and it's not even slightly a unique setting and to sit here and claim that Firefly is some special show is just hilarious.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Space Western is at the basis of SO MUCH scifi and it's not even slightly a unique setting and to sit here and claim that Firefly is some special show is just hilarious.

I must assume it's treated as this unique achievement mainly by people who only consume "geek" media or who have heard of westerns but never actually seen one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I must assume it's treated as this unique achievement mainly by people who only consume "geek" media or who have heard of westerns but never actually seen one.

That would explain it. Firefly fans tend to be among the worst of all fandoms.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

That would explain it. Firefly fans tend to be among the worst of all fandoms.

I imagine it's true of a lot of the Sherlock fandom as well.

At least anecdotally, the biggest Sherlock fans I know personally haven't really seen any other adaptations and aren't really into other detective shows. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
They’ve also seen the Robert Downey Jr adaptations, since they ship both Sherlocks with eachother