Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

musk fans

nice av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

this guy definitely does not gently caress

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

volunteering to help spread the real truth about a business you have strong feelings about seems to be a trend these days

i loving love science and engaging with brands

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i finally saw a parked model 3 today. i have peeped 5-10 model S over the past year or two but i finally got to see something else. it has misaligned panels all over the place. i didn't do a full 360 on it but every panel on the front (bumper, hood, etc) was clearly misaligned

props to the owner i guess for being the only person i've seen use a public EV charger. the only other one i've seen in use here is by the chevy volt owner who uses the charger at the one really good inner-ring suburban library near me

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

fishmech posted:

musk fans

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

ADINSX posted:

Would this be possible I wonder? It still trips me out that some motorcycles have the engine as a stressed component of the bike

Yep, but it's a niche thing. Formula E cars are built the same was as a "traditional" single seater, where the engine and transmission bolt directly to the back of the tub and carry all of the rear suspension. In Formula E's case there's a big battery pack in place of the engine, but it's still performing the same structural role, and then has motors & a transmission hanging off the back somehow.

This is why they do the comedy car-swap thing instead of changing batteries mid race, changing batteries is an involved process that takes hours and involves splitting the car in half.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i finally saw a parked model 3 today. i have peeped 5-10 model S over the past year or two but i finally got to see something else. it has misaligned panels all over the place. i didn't do a full 360 on it but every panel on the front (bumper, hood, etc) was clearly misaligned

props to the owner i guess for being the only person i've seen use a public EV charger. the only other one i've seen in use here is by the chevy volt owner who uses the charger at the one really good inner-ring suburban library near me

how does that happen. like theres screw holes and you screw the stuff on and it fits, right? "oops it just wont fit together right, little crooked, guess thats good enough though" is for $20 walmart chipboard tables not cars

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The only thing worse than the transition of silicon valley CEOs into the automotive world is the transition of silicon valley fanboys into the automotive world.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

how does that happen. like theres screw holes and you screw the stuff on and it fits, right? "oops it just wont fit together right, little crooked, guess thats good enough though" is for $20 walmart chipboard tables not cars

It depends on the making of the car. In the premium segment panel couplings are usually adjustable. Now you still can have plastic clips for the large surface connection but when it comes to the connections close to what will Form the panel gaps, it might be screws with wide washers or movable chassis nuts so that you can move the part around before tightening everything down.

This process requires experience and a good understanding of tightening procedures and tolerances. At VW for example, alignment works were usually limited to senior workers back in the days.

If you make cheap cars, usually you will only use snap connections for body panels. These are easier and faster to install, but your panel gaps will depend on production tolerances and might end up horrible. The benefit is that you don't need any experienced workers to do the alignment.

I don't know the panel fastening on teslas, but factory bad panel gaps either mean they did very cheap engineering and their QM and process Management sucks, or they employ workers unfit for the task of panel adjustment, which would usually correct itself with time though.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

iow you have to be good at making cars to make a good car. and tesla is not good at making cars so their cars are bad

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

iow you have to be good at making cars to make a good car. and tesla is not good at making cars so their cars are bad

cant defeat this logic. lets get some emptyquotes goin on this one

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

weighing the water

:psyduck:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

1g of water by weight is 1ml by volume though

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

1g of water by weight is 1ml by volume though

At what temperature though

AT WHAT TEMPERATURE!?!?!?!?!?!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Powershift posted:

room idk

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Powershift posted:

you have to know where the beans came from and then heat/cool the correct amount of water to the median daytime high temperature during the last third of the growing season.

come on.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

President Beep posted:

you have to know where the beans came from and then heat/cool the correct amount of water to the median daytime high temperature during the last third of the growing season.

come on.

You also have to heat up the mug you're going to drink it from in the same manner

Coffee is cool and good but it gets just as zany as audiophile stuff past a certain point

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

President Beep posted:

come on.

But at what altitude and barometric pressure?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

jammyozzy posted:

Yep, but it's a niche thing. Formula E cars are built the same was as a "traditional" single seater, where the engine and transmission bolt directly to the back of the tub and carry all of the rear suspension. In Formula E's case there's a big battery pack in place of the engine, but it's still performing the same structural role, and then has motors & a transmission hanging off the back somehow.

This is why they do the comedy car-swap thing instead of changing batteries mid race, changing batteries is an involved process that takes hours and involves splitting the car in half.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stressed_member_engine

pretty much limited to motorcycles, electrics, and exotic sports and race cars

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

jammyozzy posted:

reminder that formula e is so lame that Montreal, a city that hosted two of the championship circuit race for a year, a city that basically shuts down every year for the F1 race, a city that religiously supports a hockey team that hasn’t had a shot in the cup in 20 years and still makes a fuss about a MLB team that left twenty years ago paid eight figure contract penalties so they could kick them out faster

seriously I went to one of the race and it was super lame

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Powershift posted:

a gram of water at 0C somehow heated to 100C with no loss through evaporation etc. would weigh approx 5 picograms more, so weighing water is far less temperature dependent than measuring it by volume. otoh i doubt even the most yospos of yospos coffee thread enthusiasts are using their scales in a vacuum, so the additional air displaced by the greater volume of hot water would actually make the apparent weight less if your water is in an open container

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

i doubt even the most yospos of yospos coffee thread enthusiasts are using their scales in a vacuum

on the other hand, ur posts do tend to suck the air out of the room...

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

President Beep posted:

on the other hand, ur posts do tend to suck the air out of the room...

everything i know about sucking i learned from your mum

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

god dammit

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

SpaceX Previews Its Mars Base Alpha and New BFR Design

“Musk previously noted that it will probably take SpaceX until 2028 to build on Mars.”

i can’t wait!!! :monocle:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

SpaceX Previews Its Mars Base Alpha and New BFR Design

“Musk previously noted that it will probably take SpaceX until 2028 to build on Mars.”

i can’t wait!!! :monocle:

lol it's good that now that he's no longer running a company he's getting into Bryce 3D

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

haha

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

L to the M to the A to the O

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1043293219205787648

things are definitely going well when the ceo starts soliciting volunteers to help sell cars

lmfao

wow

this might actually get him ousted if it gets picked up by the media

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
seriously what's it gonna take though? he's already well on his way to going full mcafee

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cold on a Cob posted:

seriously what's it gonna take though? he's already well on his way to going full mcafee

Be real

Musk has nothing on mcafee

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Mcaffee is the ceo we need but not the one we deserve

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

Be real

Musk has nothing on mcafee

not yet, we all gotta start somewhere though

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cold on a Cob posted:

not yet, we all gotta start somewhere though

If Elon had an actual flamethrower then we could chat

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

he’s also incredibly popular with a whole bunch of people, which helps insulate him from consequences.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i weigh my water on a kitchen scale instead of measuring by volume. get on my level, needs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just remembered that elon said he'd make the manufacturing tolerances literally 10x more accurate than the rest of the car industry when someone asked about panel gaps

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
drat that's hardcore I just spit into the reservoir until it looks full enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
my only concession to being a coffee sperg is a burr grinder and a french press

beyond that it's just pour some boiling water over the grounds and wait a few minutes