Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I've hatched 3 regionals among lots of Alolan trash so far. 2 Tauros and a Farfetched. I feel like the game is trolling me.

But today I was able to do my first ever Mewtwo raids and went 2/2, even managing to catch him on the 2nd and then 1st ball, with the second Mewtwo being a 91% (first was 71%).

Feels pretty cool to finally get to do a Mewtwo raid and catch him. Now if I can just hatch a Mr Mime or find someone with an extra so I can complete my Kanto dex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Caught a heap of Chikoritas, only one shiny, and none with good IVs

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Up to 21 alolan Meowths but finally got a little bit of other stuff today. A Farfetch'd, hairy Diglet, and Mr.Mime. I think thats all the regionals?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/p_cocoa_f/status/1043383297324150784

The secret is out. Everyone getting it after Chikorita day ends

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/p_cocoa_f/status/1043383297324150784

The secret is out. Everyone getting it after Chikorita day ends

Came here to post this, was confused as gently caress after event ended and they were everywhere

All the ones I caught were ditto but apparently you can catch one that doesn't change and you get a dex entry #352 for it or something? They all disappeared after 30 mins so catch em while you can!

Also I got 8 shiny Chikorita's and they are all dogshit IV wise, first one was 4% lol

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 22, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Welp! Gotcha already snagged me a perfect IV polywhirl.

That thing gonna put in work tomorrow

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dragonstoned posted:

Came here to post this, was confused as gently caress after event ended and they were everywhere

All the ones I caught were ditto but apparently you can catch one that doesn't change and you get a dex entry #352 for it or something? They all disappeared after 30 mins so catch em while you can!

wtf where did they even get this...thing from?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

wtf where did they even get this...thing from?

God knows lol for a moment I thought they were unknowns because they all popped up on the "nearby" list and then I caught one and it was just ditto.

Looks like its all just a glitch/error or something, here is a shot from Singapore with #352 which is Kecleon

all turned to ditto when caught, dunno why they saw the actual mon and everyone else got the bolt head guy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ah, i bet it's just a placeholder then. like missingo, but for pokemon go.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

ah, i bet it's just a placeholder then. like missingo, but for pokemon go.

It's got a fully textured and animated model, all of it listed in the assets as pokemon0891, implying it's something from gen8. Seems like a lot of work for a random placeholder.

Why the gently caress they put that model in Kecleon's data is a mystery to everyone.

Here's a screencap from the stream Chrales did over on twitch of him digging through all the assets and poo poo he pulled out of the network traffic:

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 22, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i mean, maybe it is a real new pokemon, but it'd be utterly bizarre for them to program a gen 8 pokemon into the game when afaik the gen 4 pokemon aren't even in there yet beyond their metadata.

then again it's niantic and who the gently caress knows why they do anything at all ever

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 22, 2018

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i mean, maybe it is a real new pokemon, but it'd be utterly bizarre for them to program a gen 8 pokemon into the game when afaik the gen 4 pokemon aren't even in there yet beyond their metadata.

then again it's niantic and who the gently caress knows why they do anything at all ever

Most people were assuming it was this: https://gamerant.com/pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-eevee-new-pokemon/

quote:

According to Game Informer, players will obtain a “special” Pokemon in Pokemon GO by connecting Pokemon Let’s Go Pikachu and Let’s Go Eevee with the mobile game. This special Pokemon is completely brand new, and will be the first Pokemon to make its franchise debut in Pokemon GO instead of a core game.

Then they started spawning it as disguised ditto, with Kecleon's cry, and nothing makes sense anymore.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Holy poo poo, i started playing 4 weeks ago and ive spent so much loving money, time and walked so god drat far thanks to this game.

It's awesome. Im level 30 and abuse the 3x exp today for community day too.

I caught 4 weather boosted mewtwos yesterday. Im now going to go catch a bunch more!

I think i need help.

Stingray019
Jan 12, 2007
Best theory so far is that Niantic intended to release Kecleon who would show up as a floating eye which when clicked would reveal the cloaked Poke. For this mechanic, Niantic reused some of the Ditto code. Nutto has the same cry as Kecleon and its eye is very similar. The Nutto model itself is a placeholder that was never meant to be fully visible.

Guessing when Niantic hit the switch something got hosed up..

Stingray019 fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 22, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Stingray019 posted:

Best theory I've read is that Niantic intended to release Kecleon who would show up in the overworld as a floating eye which when clicked would reveal the cloaked Poke. For this mechanic, Niantic reused some of the Ditto code. Nutto has the same cry as Kecleon and its eye is very similar. The Nutto model itself is a placeholder that was never meant to be fully visible.

Guessing when Niantic hit the switch to activate Kecleon something got hosed up..

this makes the most sense since the bottom of it is really obviously just a white ditto

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Best community day ever

Wheany fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 22, 2018

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm confused. Isn't community day later today?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
European community day ended 20 minutes ago, American cd is later today

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Community day just ended here and now these weird Dittos are spawning loving EVERYWHERE.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Ok whew I got worried for a minute

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I’m over in the US still several hours from Community Day but apparently at least one of these things spawned here, near a regular hotspot for Pokémon Go playing. So I guess they’re worldwide right now, but only doing their :zerg: at the end of each Community Day.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yeah in Luxembourg we had a few of those weird things appearing this morning, then as soon as the event was over they were everywhere for half an hour then gone.

I'm keeping the dittos they turned into incase Niantic unfucks their mistake.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is the little nut head ONLY turning into Dittos? I want a little nuthead

edit: The "nearby" thing showed a nuthead down the street. Bothered to walk down to where it was, it spawned, and then after the first pokeball failed it ran. :mad: GIMME THE NUTHEAD

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 22, 2018

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If you have no GPS, when you evolve your bayleef, it just learns normal moves. :(

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Had two false alarm Unown announcements this morning because of that thing.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Beachcomber posted:

If you have no GPS, when you evolve your bayleef, it just learns normal moves. :(

I totally forgot to evolve any during the window. It's ok I think we'll survive without it. How do you play without gps anyway?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I was on a train, so it was fading in and out.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

I've realized something else about the nutboy ditto.

It has a tail. The tail is red for the normal version, and blue for the shiny version from the stream of the model and all the texture info from yesterday.

Pretty convinced the nut and "ditto" body are just reference sections and shouldn't actually be there. The eyeball and the "tail" are actually kecleon's body stripe and eye, giving it a partially invisible model. The nut is the bounds of the eyeball's movement, not unsimilar to a chameleon's eye.

The most likely explanation from there is someone accidentally uploaded a dev or testing build, likely when getting everything ready for community day. They're using the ditto mechanic to transform the invisible model in to the full model, but when somebody hosed up and threw it in to production, it took the place of all the ditto spawns instead, and whenever the "end event" flag trips, it spawns nothing but these hosed up ditto monsters for half an hour as a means of testing the mechanic.

I sincerely doubt this is a new pokemon at all, but I'll bet Niantic is grinning like maniacs with all the free press from it.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 22, 2018

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Is community day just one day this weekend? In the US it’s today at 11 am pst, right?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Louisgod posted:

Is community day just one day this weekend? In the US it’s today at 11 am pst, right?

Yes

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Saw some sort of brand new guy who turned into a ditto, weird

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
https://ibb.co/cZSvRp

I'm screaming irl

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I would be happy if I could catch a Machop over 50% I must have caught 30 during this event and they all suck

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Best community day ever

Oh, and moments ago I caught a perfect mewtwo... really, after a ditto that's kind of a step down.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Do I need to evolve a Meganium during the event hours to get the special move or is there a grace period like with the eevees?

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?

Vord posted:

Do I need to evolve a Meganium during the event hours to get the special move or is there a grace period like with the eevees?

No grace period.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Pez posted:

I would be happy if I could catch a Machop over 50% I must have caught 30 during this event and they all suck

Trade them with your friends, crap machops are good daily trading fodder

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Wheany posted:

Oh, and moments ago I caught a perfect mewtwo... really, after a ditto that's kind of a step down.

When they add a Pokémon Breeder to this dystopian nightmare world you can force your Pokémon to gently caress that Ditto, harvest their children and turn them into candy by the thousands.

This game is really hosed up and dark when you think about it.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Loser_Rex posted:

No grace period.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Guess I'll dedicate the last 30 minutes to rating what I caught and trashing the trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
All they had to do was name the feature "release [back into the wild]" instead of "transfer [to the professor]" and we wouldn't have these unsettling implications.

• Locked thread