Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

less laughter posted:

They’ve also seen the Robert Downey Jr adaptations, since they ship both Sherlocks with eachother

Stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Firefly was on in 2002. BSG was still two years away at that point. The only other space sci-fi shows that were on at that time were Enterprise or Stargate (which was already 5 seasons in) and neither of those was exactly the same tone.

Add in Buffy fandom and the (justified) outrage over Fox's scheduling and it's not hard to see how it got the following it did.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

It's always the anime fans...

bull3964 posted:

Firefly was on in 2002. BSG was still two years away at that point. The only other space sci-fi shows that were on at that time were Enterprise or Stargate (which was already 5 seasons in) and neither of those was exactly the same tone.

Add in Buffy fandom and the (justified) outrage over Fox's scheduling and it's not hard to see how it got the following it did.

They cancelled Futurama too don't forget.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 22, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

Firefly was on in 2002. BSG was still two years away at that point.

Uhhhhh

Also I don't really care about what else was on at the exact same time. Western in space is not a unique setting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I wasn't arguing the Western point. I was simply stating why it got the fandom it did. Sci-fi fans were starved for content and you had a big network doing seemingly everything it could to bury the show.

I mean poo poo, the show parallels for the fan campaign pretty much wrote themselves at that point.

Had Fox ran all the episodes in order, on a regular schedule, and then quietly neglected to renew it the following year, people likely wouldn't be taking about it still.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh well my entire point in this discussion is that it was not a unique setting at all.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Battlestar Galactica is a space western. Outland is a space western. There's at least two Doctor Who episodes that are space westerns. Motherfucking Star Wars is a space western, Lucas has said western serials heavily influenced the story and setting.

loving BRAVESTARRRRRR

You forgot Silverhawks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

You forgot Silverhawks.

Nobody wants to remember that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There were some more explicit than others, of course:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The only Space Western I want tight now is a TV adaptation of Sparks Nevada, Marshall on Mars.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There was an anime that was a space western called Outlaw Star, and its plot heavily involved a naked young lady they find in stasis.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Rhyno posted:

As one of the twenty people that loved watching Silverhawks in syndication growing up I'm going to have to ask for you to finish your meal and leave this establishment. :colbert:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

Uhhhhh

Also I don't really care about what else was on at the exact same time. Western in space is not a unique setting.

And original flavor BSG had Mr. Bonanza himself Lorne Greene too. However, aside from the episode with the gunslinging Cylon, the Western flavor of BSG was drowned out by its disco trappings, and urge to mimic every genre of movie under the sun. Firefly, by contrast, was almost painfully overt in its Western in Space setting. The show had a high-low approach to technology that probably felt unique to a lot of people. For instance, Mal doesn't have a ray gun, he carries a six shooter (that might be a ray gun, but it looks like a six shooter), the costumes all looked more appropriate or a Western, there were even literal cows. It was a very steampunk sensibility, for better or worse. So no, it certainly wasn't the first Western, but Space, but it was probably the loudest about it.

Personally i wouldn't mind a Firefly reboot, the universe itself was pretty interesting which a modern take would probably do better justice (*cough*Asianrepresentation*cough*) than Whedon either could in 2002 or was interested in doing, and there was a ton of the world left unexplored, but I also don't really care about a continuation of the original show.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 7, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you want a Firefly reboot, just watch Killjoys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

If you want a Firefly reboot, just watch Killjoys.

KJ is better than Firefly in almost every way.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Firefly was a space western where the confederates were the good guys and the native american allegory were actual mindless killing machines that could also pilot space ships for some reason, if nothing else that is unique among its peers "Wagon Train in space", "Mormons in space", and " Animes in space".

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you want to be really pedantic you could probably muster some argument that Star Trek has some western elements (Wagon Train to the stars and all that).

Pedantic? It's right there in the intro; "space, the final frontier." Scifi took over what westerns were doing in a lot of ways in the early 20th century. Firefly was just a lot more obvious about it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

And yet you mentioned Bravestarr as somehow that’s better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

And yet you mentioned Bravestarr as somehow that’s better.

What's your problem with space Native Americans?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

What's your problem with space Native Americans?

Well for one if they’re from space they wouldn’t be Native Americans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Isn't the narrative of the show that they leave Earth to settle somewhere else or am I thinking of that stupid TNG episode?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Isn't the narrative of the show that they leave Earth to settle somewhere else or am I thinking of that stupid TNG episode?

Someone would have to have watched or cared about Bravestarr in order to know that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Someone would have to have watched or cared about Bravestarr in order to know that.

Also are you saying that a Native American is no longer such if he leaves his home planet?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Also are you saying that a Native American is no longer such if he leaves his home planet?

No, I’m saying nobody knows who is what on that show because nobody watched it. I don’t even know if that show had an Earth or an America.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

X-O posted:

No, I’m saying nobody knows who is what on that show because nobody watched it. I don’t even know if that show had an Earth or an America.

That's all I was questioning.

I won't watch Bravestarr but all the way back my point still stands and that point is that Firefly is terrible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you are from space then no you are by definition not Native American. You’re indigenous to whatever planet you’re from. You may be a Native American analog, but you’re not Native American. So no there are no Space Native Americans. Though there may in fact be Native Americans in Space which is a totally different thing altogether.

X-O fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 22, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't think going to space changes where you come from originally.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I don't think going to space changes where you come from originally.

Well of course it doesn’t. If Bravestarr and his goofy rear end talking horse (which is literally the only thing I remember about that show) is a Native American from Earth that lives in space then yeah he’s a Native American. If he’s just somebody on an alien planet that is basically a Native American pastiche then he’s not actually a Native American. That’s the difference.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Don't make me watch this crap XO, you know I have no standards. I'm fairly certain the show's main plot is pushing out and colonizing the universe from Earth so they're still NAs.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I don’t have a clue why I turned on THE GOOD COP, the new cozy mystery starring Tony Danza as the World’s Most Lovable Corrupt Cop and Josh Groban as The Straightlaced Cop Son Who Can’t Stand Him But Loves Him Anyway.

However, I’m pretty sure goons have had nightmares about this exact level of aggressive mediocrity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DivisionPost posted:

I don’t have a clue why I turned on THE GOOD COP, the new cozy mystery starring Tony Danza as the World’s Most Lovable Corrupt Cop and Josh Groban as The Straightlaced Cop Son Who Can’t Stand Him But Loves Him Anyway.

However, I’m pretty sure goons have had nightmares about this exact level of aggressive mediocrity.

That's a bummer because I had morbidly high hopes for that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Don't make me watch this crap XO.

Making you watch a lovely cartoon was certainly not my intention at all. Nope. Definitely not.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rhyno posted:

That's a bummer because I had morbidly high hopes for that.

...honestly? Give it a shot. I’m not much of an ironic show watcher, but something about it is unintentionally funny in a way I can’t describe.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

I watched the first episode of Maniac and I have no loving clue what is happening

Update: I watched the whole season and I have even less of a clue now

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/jtes/status/1043530559035715584

Hey look they made half of all British TV shows into a real thing

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Rodenberry literally pitched Star Trek as a western set in space, and even things like Buck Rogers preceded it. Firefly was in no way a unique show, but at this point its difficult to find a unique TV show concept. Its the writing and characters that make a show stand out. Hospital show, cop/legal drama, workplace comedy, etc. 99% of scripted TV shows fall into one of maybe 5 or 6 categories.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Seems like The First got mixed reviews. I just finished it and loved it.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

X-O posted:

Bravestarr

vaguely remembered this from when i was kid so i googled it:

lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

swickles posted:

Rodenberry literally pitched Star Trek as a western set in space

He didn't actually.

quote:

STAR TREK is a "Wagon Train" concept — built around characters who travel to worlds "similar" to our own, and meet the action-adventure-drama which become our stories. Their transportation is the cruiser "S.S. Yorktown," performing a well-defined and long-range Exploration-Science-Security mission which helps create our format.

He's not actually suggesting that Trek is actually a Western, he's selling the sci-fi show by claiming that it could be just like another popular television show, which happens to be a Western.He's selling a show that hadn't really been seen on television over there -- a scifi show for adults that wasn't an anthology series -- by explaining how the show would work on a regular basis. i.e. just like the popular show Wagon Train, except they go to different planets and have sci-fi adverntures, instead of going to different saloons and having gunslinging funtimes.

(I don't believe he actually says "Wagon Train To The Stars"; I suspect that's a misattribution.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Luvcow posted:

vaguely remembered this from when i was kid so i googled it:

lol

Is that the show where either the Bravestarr or Sherlock Holmes falls through a time vortex? Because that's literally the only thing I think I remember about that show.