Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The Heartcatch movie is the best possible articulation of the genre, fight me. The midboss of Happiness Charge should've been the end boss. The last two episodes of Splash Star kicked my rear end. Kintolesky is the first boy cure, I don't care what anyone thinks, he's pretty, he's cure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Happiness Charge's movie was decent. Could have taken a harder stance with its theme, but its villain was better than the show's villain

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd probably go Heartcatch, Yes and Maho Girls in order of the best 3 Precure movies. Heartcatch and yes are 1 and 2 just because they are such good self contained stories (free Rie Bones and Dark Dream got robbed) and Maho Girls let Tanaka just go crazy with the action.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Max Heart's second movie is the best one I've seen so far. The action was so drat good and there was so much gay subtext that Nagisa and Honoka may as well be married at this point. I love the ending where they ski off into the sunset leaving the Token Male Character behind in the dust and then we get an ending musical slideshow featuring tons of shots of the two girls with lyrics like "I LIKE YOU THE MOST IN THE WORLD!"

BattleCattle posted:

Kintolesky is the first boy cure, I don't care what anyone thinks, he's pretty, he's cure.

My favorite Kintolesky moment is when the other baddies tell him to use strategy, so he puts on a dumb mask and then immediately takes it off when he confronts Pretty Cure and then gets all "Wow strategy is stupid, what was the point of that" :allears:

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 22, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No one, NO ONE can keep a straight face without crying in that scene in the Maho Girls movie when Mofurun turns back into a normal teddy bear.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

Max Heart's second movie is the best one I've seen so far. The action was so drat good and there was so much gay subtext that Nagisa and Honoka may as well be married at this point. I love the ending where they ski off into the sunset leaving the Token Male Character behind in the dust and then we get an ending musical slideshow featuring tons of shots of the two girls with lyrics like "I LIKE YOU THE MOST IN THE WORLD!"

To be fair, that's pretty much par for the course as far as Precure shows go anyway. Like this bit from Princess for example:

Don't remember if there's actually been any characters who are explicitly identified as gay though.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

To be fair, that's pretty much par for the course as far as Precure shows go anyway. Like this bit from Princess for example:

Don't remember if there's actually been any characters who are explicitly identified as gay though.

Akira and Yukari had their one confession episode, their super gay duet song, Akira's intensely suggestive image songs (which are pretty blatantly directed at Yukari), and a bunch of art by the Kamikitas (official manga artists) where they're doing things like getting married or being surrounded by magical yuri babies, so I think they're the winners so far

https://twitter.com/futagokamikita/status/961923474934480897

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 22, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, yes how could I forget about those two. Somewhat related but have any of the Precure manga been fully translated yet? If so, are they particularly any different than the anime version?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

Ah, yes how could I forget about those two. Somewhat related but have any of the Precure manga been fully translated yet? If so, are they particularly any different than the anime version?

Not fully translated but pits and pieces. Before Go's manga they had differences but mostly followed the series. With Go the twins were given freedom to go anywhere and they've run with it and that's lead to some wild volumes including the Kira Kira Chapter where Yukari has to save Akira from an obsessive fan girl villain.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Rikka and Mana are basically married, too.

I forgot to mention, doki doki’s really good. It has the best ending dance choreography. There’s a body roll in there, it’s great.

Pikestaff posted:

My favorite Kintolesky moment is when the other baddies tell him to use strategy, so he puts on a dumb mask and then immediately takes it off when he confronts Pretty Cure and then gets all "Wow strategy is stupid, what was the point of that" :allears:

He’s such a pure man. He’s considerate, he fights fair, he stands up for what he believes in, and he has the only acceptable mustache. He even helped Saki learn to draw, and immediately apologized for breaking her pumpkin mask.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 22, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That's another odd thing, I forget if this started in Splash Star or Yes! but why is it that almost all Precure ending themes are more or less the same (dance party featuring the main girls)? Technically Futari Wa ended with a dance of sorts as well but that one was at least a bit more involved.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It actually started with Fresh and continued cuz it was really popular.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Dance parties are cute and fun. If precure is the best at anything, it’s getting the audience involved. They even make lessons for each of the dances and put ‘em on youtube! It’s a very good call imo.

edit: I dunno if they put ‘em on youtube, but they certainly wind up there.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 22, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

It actually started with Fresh and continued cuz it was really popular.

Fair enough, my main problem is that aside from the girls dancing there's usually not really that much else to a lot of them (Hugtto is a little better in that regard though). I liked the one in the original series though as it got almost the entire cast involved (including the villains), the song was pretty catchy as well though I forget what it was called.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

BattleCattle posted:

Rikka and Mana are basically married, too.

Regina and Mana are the Doki couple and Regina should of been Ace

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Regina and Mana always feels about what Regina wants. It's not really a balanced relationship.

Regina being Ace would have also sucked all the conflict out of the rest of the series, not to mention any real mystery over what happened to the princess or what drives Makoto to finally accept that she's never going to really get her back.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The conflict between selfish love and selfless love literally tearing someone apart is a very compelling narrative, imo. It certainly didn’t make me feel anything at all, no siree, sniffle.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

Fair enough, my main problem is that aside from the girls dancing there's usually not really that much else to a lot of them (Hugtto is a little better in that regard though). I liked the one in the original series though as it got almost the entire cast involved (including the villains), the song was pretty catchy as well though I forget what it was called.

it IS super catchy. GET YOU LOVE LOVE MOODO-JAN

the dances are really cute because they're usually easy enough for the target audience (young girls) to learn and then you get really adorable videos of a bunch of five year olds dancing at Precure live events.

Alternatively you can dance along to the video game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb-cI8Aqi6M

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 23, 2018

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

In the latest Hugtto episode it explicitly says that Ruru and Emiru love each other and want to remain together forever. Also there's Henri's character arc as well now

Julias fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 23, 2018

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i can't think of anyone else in the precure series who is gay. none

(honoka and nagisa are pretty gay. emiru and ruru are pretty _explicitly_ gay)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Generally, the guy and girl relationships between main characters tend to be rather poorly written in Precure, with the guy either being uninteresting, them having no chemistry, being somewhat problematic in some way, or it becoming a series devouring black hole that consumes half the series that reflects badly on otherwise good characters.

I'm talking about Happiness Charge.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair enough, I guess a better question is who's straight in this series? Nozomi from Yes! is about the only one I can think of with a confirmed male love interest that actually goes somewhere (Nagisa was also crushing on a guy but I don't think anything ever came of it).

Off the subject, but in regards to Hugtto does the phrase "Mechokku!" actually mean anything or is it just a nonsense word Hana says a lot?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's mostly an expression of shock.

Komachi also had a boyfriend, and Mana is shown to have eventually married a guy in the Doki Doki movie.

Which ultimately achieved in convincing NO ONE.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

doesn't hana explain mechokku at some point early

like 'mega shock' or something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah its just a portmanteau of 'mega' and 'shock'

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

(Nagisa was also crushing on a guy but I don't think anything ever came of it)

my favorite was in the Max Heart movie 2 when Nagisa was upset that said dude was hanging out with Honoka, although it was framed so it looked like she was jealous of the dude because Honoka is hers damnit. Honoka even came and asked her if she was distraught over him and Nagisa's response was to get all upset and exclaim "NO YOU DON'T GET IT" because come on Honoka, that girl loves you. she loves you so much.

anyway no one is straight in Precure maybe some of the girls are bi but no one is straight.

as an aside check out this bootleg merch I found at Dollar Tree last week

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nagisa is still one of my personal favorite Cures. She's just an adorable little dork (as well as a giant powder keg of emotions you really don't want to mess with). Though to be fair, "massive nerd" seems to generally be a prerequisite for being a Precure team leader.

It was fun seeing them come back in Hugtto even if it did emphasize the massive difference in fighting styles between the two teams and I'm glad they seem to have a major role in the upcoming movie.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 23, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I keep trying to find those at my local Dollar Tree but can never find them.

Also they could just be repacks of stuff that never sold in Japan.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
:ughh:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 24, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The film really just, does not beat around the bush about the relationship they end up in later, lol.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

drat the last couple of episodes of Splash Star weren't messing around. Some absolutely brutal fight scenes plus a villain whose motivation is to just. Reverse entropy. Daaaamn.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Pikestaff posted:

drat the last couple of episodes of Splash Star weren't messing around. Some absolutely brutal fight scenes plus a villain whose motivation is to just. Reverse entropy. Daaaamn.

Stop! Stop! You're gonna make me watch every drat Precure series at this rate :cry:

:sigh: gently caress it. I know I'm going to. I should just give in and do it. Any particular subs for each?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Irritated Goat posted:

Stop! Stop! You're gonna make me watch every drat Precure series at this rate :cry:

:sigh: gently caress it. I know I'm going to. I should just give in and do it. Any particular subs for each?

Not sure what groups have done them as I've mainly been watching whatever was up on KissAnime. The first season is also up on Crunchyroll (it's the only one there for some reason) but both the sub and the video quality are kind of crap so I'd highly recommend just tracking down the fansubbed version in this case.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so these are things that are happening

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

so these are things that are happening

So is this just an ad for the upcoming movie or a hint we might be getting some more in-series crossovers eventually?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This is in-series stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

This is in-series stuff.

Sounds good to me, though I'm not sure how they're going to fit it all in considering we're already about halfway through Hugtto right now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd be fine with a few one-off episodes but I hope they don't go overboard on this. Hugtto has been so good on its own merits that I'd rather it give more time to developing its characters than trying to nostalgia pander.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I like that we're getting some actual teamups outside of the movies but they'd probably be better suited to a season devoted to the concept (though I'm not entirely sure how or if a Precure equivalent to Gokaiger/Decade would work exactly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://files.catbox.moe/bwf1iw.webm

I hadn't realised the Nanoha films had this much budget.

(Warning: lots of flashing lights.)