Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Dude, something is very wrong in your front suspension. You shouldn't have the symptoms you do if something were just worn out, you have something bending or broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Does anyone know off the top of their head if TJs have a plenum drain hose under the hood like YJs? A friend just bought an '01 and text me that his front floor was soaked after a rain and I'm trying to offer some ideas via text for him to look at. My YJ has been dry since I cleaned 24 years worth of crud out of my tube but I don't know if that's even a thing on the newer Jeeps.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It is. There are master splines on it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Son of a bitch:

The loving power steering bracket is cracked through there. Anybody got a spare lying around? This is for an 85 CJ-7 2.5L.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I was behind this guy yesterday on my drive home. I noticed what looks like a short linkage and a cable with a metal handle coming out the back, where the spare tire might be mounted? Any idea? A spare swaybar endlink? Rear wiper motor maybe?

Click for Full sized

I'm obviously not a Jeepophile.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

netwerk23 posted:

I was behind this guy yesterday on my drive home. I noticed what looks like a short linkage and a cable with a metal handle coming out the back, where the spare tire might be mounted? Any idea? A spare swaybar endlink? Rear wiper motor maybe?

Click for Full sized

That is nothing I've ever seen before, it's not big enough to be a swaybar endlink, the wiper motor for a hardtop is on the hardtop itself.

No clue

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Radio antenna mount. It just doesn’t have the whip / actual antenna attached.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

netwerk23 posted:

Click for Full sized

If I had to guess, that bumper had a tire carrier at some point. This one has a similar linkage to the one in your picture.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Edit: Oh I thought you were talking about the CB antenna mount.

I have no idea what that other thing is. The way the pieces fit together, it looks cobbled together/homemade. It does look similar to that ^

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 21, 2018

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Yeah it's the remnants of a hinged tire carrier and an antenna mount with no antenna.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

tuna posted:

Yeah it's the remnants of a hinged tire carrier and an antenna mount with no antenna.

This is probably the winner - thanks all.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Son of a bitch:

The loving power steering bracket is cracked through there. Anybody got a spare lying around? This is for an 85 CJ-7 2.5L.

The guy at the pick-and-pull lot said "Oh you're not going to find one of those out there," but then I found an 81 AMC Eagle. Thanks, parts bin manufacturing!

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Hey guys, weird insurance question here (I didnt find an insurance megathread?)

I want to insure a 1969 Jeep, and i want to use it offroad and drive it sometimes. Because they classify as "classics" all these insurance companies are putting huge restrictions on it or outright denying insurance.

Does anyone here have any experience dealing with this sort of stuff? How do people have those cool classic offroad rigs and get them insured? USA/California here if that makes any difference.

[edit] Wawansea insurance gave me a normal quote for a normal vehicle so maybe i found my insurer. Still open to what people have to say regarding this though.

tuna fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 26, 2018

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Usually for weird cars like classics, track cars, show cars, etc. you just get insurance for your liability and don't bother with comprehensive or full coverage. My friend has an Ariel Atom for example and it's the kind of wacky thing no insurance would touch but he was able to get a liability only plan so it's fine to drive (just realizing if anything happens to it you or the person who hit you are on the hook to pay for it).

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

Usually for weird cars like classics, track cars, show cars, etc. you just get insurance for your liability and don't bother with comprehensive or full coverage. My friend has an Ariel Atom for example and it's the kind of wacky thing no insurance would touch but he was able to get a liability only plan so it's fine to drive (just realizing if anything happens to it you or the person who hit you are on the hook to pay for it).

Thanks I'll look into that too.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Uh, Hagerty classic car insurance?

Edit: pretty sure they require a garage to store the vehicle in.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 26, 2018

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

angryrobots posted:

Uh, Hagerty classic car insurance?

Edit: pretty sure they require a garage to store the vehicle in.

I spoke to them, they hate the idea of 4x4s and offroad vehicles. Also I don't want insurance telling me where to store my vehicle.

The Hagerty rep did put me onto another insurance place and im waiting for a callback from them tomorrow.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mod sassinator posted:

That's a REALLY niche example, and not representative of basically anything except supercars or specialty imports.

You can typically get regular insurance with most of the big-name insurance companies, but realize that if you end up in a "total" situation you're probably hosed. There's classic vehicle insurance, usually through a company like Hagerty; this is where you end up with mileage restrictions, can't take it to certain places (ie if your door gets dinged at walmart you're probably hosed because why are you driving it to walmart?), and so on.

I carry normal insurance on my '66 Corvette because I bought it to drive; I've had this policy with minimal changes in Oklahoma, Utah, and Nevada. In a couple of weeks when the temperatures are below 95 consistently I'll probably drive it to work 2-3 times per week. Can't do that with any classic insurance policy I've seen.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Try safety insurance. I've been told they'll insure a 30 year old military truck with no garaging and no mileage limit so you should be no big deal to them.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Whomever you're considering, do a little bit of legwork researching claims that they actually paid.

Up until a few years ago I was into high-performance standup jetskis that can easily cost upwards of 25-35k. They are notoriously difficult to insure, partially because they're all custom and get operated in a high-risk environment.
Some companies popped up claiming to offer insurance for these and plenty of riders took them up. When it came time to pay out some claims (sunk or stolen ski), plenty of reasons were found to not pay out.
So, just because they say they'll insure you doesn't mean they will ever pay any claim.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oof, I had a breakdown on my way home from work a couple nights ago. Gears suddenly wouldn't shift anymore, and *something* sprung a leak and was spraying what looked like rusty water or oil onto my radiator, making a huge white plume. The engine stalled when I pulled over and came to a stop.

I was considering just giving up and looking for another car at that point, but I slept on it and decided to have it fixed up again since I really shouldn't be trying to buy a whole car right now, and it's far less hassle to bring it to the shop. Besides, I have too much drat history with this XJ. :argh:

After this fix, I really need to buckle down and just start cleaning/replacing anything that looks worn or rusted.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just snagged a rental 2018 wrangler jk sport unlimited. On a work trip in the bay area for all of October, and I got it expensed through the company also! Was shockingly only $20 a day.

So far I absolutely love it, I daily a miata and civic si so driving something huge is pretty fun, but its hilarious how i can just blow over anything with no consequences.

I plan on taking it off roading in tahoe or knoxville devilshead road next weekend - anyone wanna join?

I may have to get a beater jeep when i get back home....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Hey guys, I got a new Jeep:

Here it is on the maiden voyage back home with me, broken down on the side of the road. Fortunately it just ran out of gas - a thing I expect a lot more of in the future.

More details later, but basically original axles/Ford 351 v8/np205//37" tires and a bunch of more random stuff. No rust.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

tuna posted:

Hey guys, I got a new Jeep:

Here it is on the maiden voyage back home with me, broken down on the side of the road. Fortunately it just ran out of gas - a thing I expect a lot more of in the future.

More details later, but basically original axles/Ford 351 v8/np205//37" tires and a bunch of more random stuff. No rust.

Holy loving poo poo that is beautiful!

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
That is awesome, congrats, and fix the fuel gauge.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

That is one :krad: jeep. Congrats dude.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Thanks all!
Yeah I will run another tank of gas through it and see if the gauge is still way off. I'll have to drop the tank and check the sender and other related tubing when I get time. Main tank is 28Gal original, and it has a second 50gal aux tank in the bed that I will definitely have to drain and test. This thing probably needs all 78Gal on any sort of road trip lol.
I will also need to do some MPG calculations, but this week I'm basically going to familiarize myself with it.

I've got a bunch of plans for it, but we'll see what I can get done. I basically want to leave it as is for a year or so.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That thing is amaaaaaaaaaaazing. When are we going wheeling???

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm really drat jealous. An m715 is on the short list of vehicles I don't already own that I want. In fact other than that I basically just want a dentside Ford wrecker, an unmolested fleetside j truck, and any military 5 ton wrecker.

My 88 MJ stranded me Sunday night. Luckily it was 1 block from home and turned out to be just the hose from the fuel pump to the sending unit bracket inside the tank, and I only lost about a quart of gas when I pulled the sending unit to fix it. Could have been far worse. So it ended up getting a new fuel filter (I tried that first since I had no idea when it was last changed and it didn't involve pulling the sender, and I knew I had serious fuel pressure issues after hooking up the gauge and measuring 15psig with the pump on and return line clamped, when idle pressure is supposed to be 39psig) and I ended up getting a gasoline bath to replace a $0.75 hose.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Krakkles posted:

That thing is amaaaaaaaaaaazing. When are we going wheeling???

Im gonna familiarize myself with this thing first (and need to fix up some stuff on the JK). The brakes are absolutely terrifying so if I took it offroad i'd prefer it to be... flat.
[e] hydroboost for the brakes might be a very early upgrade for me.

kastein posted:

I'm really drat jealous. An m715 is on the short list of vehicles I don't already own that I want. In fact other than that I basically just want a dentside Ford wrecker, an unmolested fleetside j truck, and any military 5 ton wrecker.

I can only imagine how rusted these would be on your side of the country. There is no water proofing to speak of, huge gaps everywhere.

tuna fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 5, 2018

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Philip J Fry posted:

Holy poo poo ZJ seats are amazing in the XJ. These were out of a '98 and look/feel practically new. So much cushier than the factory ones and a lot easier to clean. Best $50 upgrade ever.

My buddy did the same thing with his XJ. They were awesome because the stock seats were so uncomfortable.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Look what I found today. Unfortunately I did not pull the trigger. Only $900 though, so very tempting. 1992, 4.0 HO, and the owner says it runs, but I didn’t get into further details than that.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I finally had the day to explore the 715 in a bit more depth. Bit of a boring post about it incoming:

Overall the thing drives great! The brake pedal is very tough to press down and tiring to hold down at a light while in drive, but I can lock the wheels up with the stock drums so that's good enough for now. It's a great vehicle to putter around town at a slow, leisurely pace. You really notice how garbage people drive when you're taking life a bit slower. Car parks are insane and people drive way too fast around them as I try to compensate for all the blind spots I have. I also pretty quickly noticed that the driver's side door interior handle doesn't open the door, so I'll have to fix that. For now it just means rolling down the window to open it from the outside. I also noticed the rear driver side leafs aren't all aligned as nicely as they should be.

I did find a couple of rust spots but they're in simple areas to fix and clean up-
this is underneath the cabin, around the driver footwell/pedal area. That isn't a hole, but it is flaking.

This the worst spot, it's also under the cab but behind the driver's seat. Through the rust there is corrigated steel keeping it all in palce, so this should be fairly easy to cut out and weld in something to replace it.

The tires it came with are 37" x 16.5" goodyear military tires. They drive fine but one of them has some dry rot cracks:

I think they'll at least last another year.... right?

Here's a pic of the bed with the spare. Obviously a different wheel and ND tire. Pictured behind it is the 50Gal aux fuel tank that I'll probably end up using as the main tank in the future. Also note the absolutely tiny rear window. I got all kinds of blind spots:

The interior! Nice and spartan, a few extra switches for wipers and the aux tank pump. I might have to do something about the steering wheel, maybe find something Jeep, or just replace it with something a little smaller. This thing has power steering so it doesn't need this size really. The gauge cluster is new / custom and is begging to be painted. The center console is just placed there, not bolted down and you can see the auto lever for the C-6 trans. I love these old dashes because there's so much room for me to add/change things around. I will need a GPS/phone mount. The data plate is not mounted right now but I plan to mount it:

Speaking of which, here is the original data plate still in the fire department yellow:

The PO actually had all new data tags etched up, just not mounted. I'll probably hang this thing up in the garage and rivet the new plates to a new piece of steel and mount it in the cab. A thing I've seen people also do is use this as a "door" to a radio cut into a cubby in the dash.

It has running lights! PO put these on and I'ma complete child so I think they look cool. It'll be a shame to lose them when I switch to a soft top:

Ze engine. Ford 351w police interceptor I think. The fire department actually put this in way back. I'm not really an engine guy but it seems to run well and it sounds as you'd imagine a rumbly V8 with short exhausts would.

Warning! Very sp00ky picture ahead:

Future plans:
I'm going to drive this mostly as is for a year. Eventually a rollcage is a must. I'm also going to be on the lookout for Superduty (kingpin) 60s, van or duallie rear 14 bolts (this thing needs 73"+ wms/wms axles) so I can build those up over time to drop them in when I can. The issue with the current axles, besides being dana 70/60 with the strength of a modern 44 and garbage drums, is the bolt pattern. It uses a very specific pattern that requires custom wheels and I don't got time for that, give me regular 8x6.5 and 17" rims as god intended. Maybe a magnum box for the NP205 transfer case. Also, because it has no door locks and a very basic ignition key - tomorrow I'm building in a sneaky killswitch that I won't go into. Longer term I will probably put 4 link/coilovers in this as tastefully as I can.

tuna fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 7, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Look what I found today. Unfortunately I did not pull the trigger. Only $900 though, so very tempting. 1992, 4.0 HO, and the owner says it runs, but I didn’t get into further details than that.

$900 seems about right. :stare: Has that thing been on its lid?

Tires look dryrotted as hell. Between the location (looks like it's actually in or near Cleator?) and the stickers, you know that thing has been beaten hard offroad.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The 715 looks awesome. The XJ looks like you're going to get hantagonoherpesyphilaids just opening the door.

On axles for the 715 remember that there's no easy way to put newer axles in an older truck usually. Check the leaf spring pad spacing before you commit to anything. If it's like my j10 it has the old 60s/70s 32in-ish spacing. 80s, Chevy, Dodge, and all later 60s use at least a 36in-ish spacing. So you're either outboarding your leafs or linking and coiling it. Neither is a bad thing, you should just look out ahead of time because complexity and/or cost will get away from you fast.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 7, 2018

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

kastein posted:

The 715 looks awesome. The XJ looks like you're going to get hantagonoherpesyphilaids just opening the door.

I can smell the stale cigarette scent through my screen.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

IOwnCalculus posted:

$900 seems about right. :stare: Has that thing been on its lid?

Tires look dryrotted as hell. Between the location (looks like it's actually in or near Cleator?) and the stickers, you know that thing has been beaten hard offroad.

Yeah it’s in Cleator, which means it had to travel some rough minimum maintenance roads just to get home. Kind of think it would be a fun project to fix up, but it could also be a serious money pit (aka all jeeps ever). I should probably invest in fixing up my TJ before starting another project, but hey this is the Jeep thread and we all understand that fallacy. It looks like he even left the key in the ignition.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mechanic called back. Sounds like one of the engine freeze plugs corroded to the point where it failed. :yikes: At least I was correct when I assumed it was coolant-related! So they're replacing it, doing a coolant flush, and also replacing some cracked hoses (which I was planning to do anyway so that's fine). The quote was much less than I expected for my budget.

He also mentioned a few other things that need to be done, but it was all stuff I regularly do myself and it would have doubled the quote, so I opted out. I'll take care of it next weekend.

I really gotta find some pick-and-pull places already.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If one of the freeze plugs is bad the others aren't far behind and you should just do them all and get the pain over with. Assuming it's a 4.0 most are on the driver side of the block and there's one on the back of the head, maybe another on the back of the block, I can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

kastein posted:

If one of the freeze plugs is bad the others aren't far behind and you should just do them all and get the pain over with. Assuming it's a 4.0 most are on the driver side of the block and there's one on the back of the head, maybe another on the back of the block, I can't remember.

Back of the block under the flexplate and the one on the head.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/freeze-plug-replacement-4-0-a-234265/#post3371928

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 9, 2018