Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
This is great. I love these one shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I love how unprepared Sam is

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

The only thing Sam knows less about than this game is how cars work.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

Keru posted:

I love how unprepared Sam is

His complete ignorance regarding cars is hilarious.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

When I saw that game about raccoons racing my first thought was "Critical Role really needs to do a one-shot with this."

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Drunk pike is amazing

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

What are all the one shots that I should watch? I just hit the time skip And want to watch some of those before I dive back in.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

RC Cola posted:

What are all the one shots that I should watch? I just hit the time skip And want to watch some of those before I dive back in.

Honey Heist is one, definitely-- both the first and the second were great. First's on G&S, second's on CR's channel. I haven't got around to Liam's Quests, which folks seemed to like, and also Travis's oneshot where he DMed as Grog.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Grog's would be a good segue back into the campaign since it features VM.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

RC Cola posted:

Grog's actually takes place during the break. The Honey Heist episodes are amazing. Liam's Quest is good but trippy. Taliesin's vampire game is very dark humor but it takes place post-campaign 1 so I'd hold off on that.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Update. Liam's quest was amazing and perfect.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

All of them? There's 3 total.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

There's only 2 Liam's Quest games. He has other one shots, but Liam's Quest specifically refers to the ones where the cast are playing as themselves.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The Screw Job is great and has Ashly Burch, but Sam's Bar Room Blitz also has her AND Mary Elizabeth McGlynn so I'd suggest both of those.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Malpais Legate posted:

The Screw Job is great and has Ashly Burch, but Sam's Bar Room Blitz also has her AND Mary Elizabeth McGlynn so I'd suggest both of those.

OK, speaking of Mary, can someone clear something up for me? Are she and Steve Blum married? Or at least an item?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

OK, speaking of Mary, can someone clear something up for me? Are she and Steve Blum married? Or at least an item?

Married I believe. They showed up on Talks together at one point, I think after the Screw Job actually.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Malpais Legate posted:

Hmmmm isn't mcglynn in the screw job too

Natroga
Apr 20, 2008
FYI - for people who are into that sort of thing - the Vampire: The Masquerade four-shot(?) with Erika Ishii that they are currently running on Geek&Sundry is also really good.

And since they are clearly not above guest stars (ep 2 spoilers) Mark Meer out of loving nowhere!, I've not given up hope that Taliesin shows up.

Lid posted:

Yes she is

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Honey Heist and Grog's one shot have potentially end game spoilers so I would wait to watch those.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Lid posted:

Oh gently caress you're right they're both perfect!!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Feels like this series is going to become even more of a trainwreck because in addition to everyone being a Chaotic Stupid rear end in a top hat that can't take a hint from the GM, they now have a boat and thus they can do aimless pirate bullshit.

tbh if Beau had died and not Molly it would have been far better.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

SunAndSpring posted:

they now have a boat and thus they can do aimless pirate bullshit.

But that's awesome???

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
No it just means they can run away from yet more loving plot hooks and do dumb exploration poo poo.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

No it just means they can run away from yet more loving plot hooks and do dumb exploration poo poo.

Dumb poo poo is where we got most of the best moments of Grog, Tary, Pike, and Scanlan.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Gettin mad that D&D players are playing D&D itt

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015

SunAndSpring posted:

Feels like this series is going to become even more of a trainwreck because in addition to everyone being a Chaotic Stupid rear end in a top hat that can't take a hint from the GM, they now have a boat and thus they can do aimless pirate bullshit.

cool

If this is your first post in this thread then you might want to reconsider if this show is really for you.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, ummmm, Matt gave them a pretty explicit plot hook that Travis is probably gonna want to follow: The island where the pirate who was supposed to get his orb lives.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this group is really enthusiastically following plot hooks lol, they've never been more excited than to meet Jester's mom and find out about the Gentleman

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1043910788614828032?s=21

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:perfect:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

SunAndSpring posted:

Idk why people keep acting like Matt is somehow upset about the game taking radical turns he wasn't predicting. Matt's been pretty clear about the fact that he loves when the players do unexpected poo poo and 'ruin' all his plans because his plans continue in the background whether the players interact with them or not. Serious D&D and story development is fun, but wild and crazy D&D with shenanigans is the heart of the game.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Finally got a chance to see this week’s episode, and holy poo poo did that go sideways fast.
I enjoyed Travis’s look of resigned disbelief though.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Sam's one shot is on YouTube. It's less than 10 minutes and I love it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SunAndSpring posted:

Molly was the worst member of the party both characterwise and extremily so in combat hth

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Lid posted:

Molly was the worst member of the party both characterwise and extremily so in combat hth

The best part of this thread was people wanting molly to stop vicious mockerying everything. Prove me Wrong.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So many campaigns were broken on the rocks of the phrase, "let's be pirates". Good luck with that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Firstborn posted:

So many campaigns were broken on the rocks of the phrase, "let's be pirates". Good luck with that.

The Critical Role crew isn't exactly a regular campaign. They regularly break just about every traditional rule of party cohesion and behavior without issue (like inter-party conflict and theft).

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Somehow I am pretty drat sure that the party actually wants to follow plot threads. Which ones do you think they're ignoring? The war with Xhorhas, which as a bunch of level seven characters they'd really pretty much just be rank and file soldiers in?

And why is it Beau's fault? Does nobody remember that Molly actively RAN AWAY from his personal backstory and from the Empire, and per Taliesen would always have done so if he had the choice because "he didn't need anyone to fix him"? (Hell, if we're interested in Molly's backstory, assuming that he will ever reappear in any fashion getting killed may have been the one thing that ENSURED we'd get a Molly backstory.)

I'm not really convinced the gang actually wants to be pirates either. They've always actively pursued any plot hooks that were presented to them which they could make a difference in. And I'm sure that the Empire plot will shove itself back into the story soon enough.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 24, 2018

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

kingcom posted:

The best part of this thread was people wanting molly to stop vicious mockerying everything. Prove me Wrong.

I’m only on C2E12, but so far all I get from Molly is:
1 - vicious mockery (with a few blood maledicts)
2 - missing poo poo with his swords
3 - “ahhhh, excellent. I say we wrap this up, get paid, and go have a drink. Shall we?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

After basically the first episode, someone should have handed Molly a longbow and called it a day. Blood Hunter struggles as a melee combatant, and doubly so with dual-wielding.

Rest in peace, you ridiculous rear end in a top hat.