Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm an emerging VJ and I want to start incorporating realtime 3D into my show.
I'm trying out Smode and Simmetri right now, but I'm running into issues trying to make my first scene with both.

Problem the first: I need to bake my own gold material. I have what I would presume are standard material settings and no idea what to do with them.
The most I've gotten is that I want reflections and that it should be glossy.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read the OP. Will not bother y'all again.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Overlocked droid.

and some goofin

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

cYn posted:

and some goofin

I know you said you're goofing, but what's that big ol' dial supposed to be? It doesn't really match the rest of the design. It seems too sophisticated for how crude the rest of the gun is, while still being too cohesive with it to have been scavenged from somewhere else.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Any specific tips for 3D body scan capture?

We're going to be doing some small VFX for a picture shooting literally halfway around the world and I'm trying to communicate with the DP (no VFX supe) on how to relay what I might need for a 3D body scan of the creature.

I'm telling him:

Get the creature in a standard arms and legs slightly spread out pose.
Potentially find a way to prop the creature up or stuff it if possible to limit the actor possibly moving.
I sent him what a capture stage looks like so he can get a sense of the camera angles that are preferable.
He doesn't have to shoot it on green screen, but try to shoot it in an environment where the background isn't moving at all. (aka on a set where people might be crossing in the background).

Would it help to put agisoft trackers anywhere on it? Any other tips?

I'm basically having him do this as a "cover our rear end" scenario since there was no prep or anything and before the suit gets destroyed I want to have *something* to potentially build from if I need it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It seems like you're covered about as well as you can be in that situation. is there no way to find a 3d scanning studio and get the suit and actor to a real capture stage?

We recently got a quote for one which is VERY low for the raw data - they charge for cleanup and remeshing. If you plan to do that yourselves it might be very reasonable.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Terrorforge posted:

I know you said you're goofing, but what's that big ol' dial supposed to be? It doesn't really match the rest of the design. It seems too sophisticated for how crude the rest of the gun is, while still being too cohesive with it to have been scavenged from somewhere else.

Yeah unsurprising, I made it in without designing it at all, in a couple of hours. I think that's some Dredd lawgiver coming through. I was thinking of attaching some sort of glass reservoir perpendicular to the side filled with plasma or something, tiny screws and embossed text where applicable.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

It seems like you're covered about as well as you can be in that situation. is there no way to find a 3d scanning studio and get the suit and actor to a real capture stage?

We recently got a quote for one which is VERY low for the raw data - they charge for cleanup and remeshing. If you plan to do that yourselves it might be very reasonable.

That was my first thought too... but they're in Tbilisi Georgia and my google-fu isn't turning up much.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Only ones I know of are in france, amsterdam, and there are a shitload in london...
I suppose having someone fly over with the suit for a day is outside of the budget? don't know what the suit is like... maybe you'd have to buy a ticket for it & get the extra legroom seats.

..please do that and make sure it boards first. and film the reactions of people boarding. maybe you could put it on youtube and make back the cost of scanning in ad impressions.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

Only ones I know of are in france, amsterdam, and there are a shitload in london...
I suppose having someone fly over with the suit for a day is outside of the budget? don't know what the suit is like... maybe you'd have to buy a ticket for it & get the extra legroom seats.

..please do that and make sure it boards first. and film the reactions of people boarding. maybe you could put it on youtube and make back the cost of scanning in ad impressions.

Ha I wish! It's just under 1M budget for the movie I believe so no flying over the suit. At least not just for a scan... the producer (who is also acting as a line producer I think) it pretty, um, hardcore. However the suit will likely come back to the States so I can maybe get it done in LA after the fact if it survives.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Did anyone see Next Gen yet? Its got some really amazing visuals and was done in Blender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf3ALGKgpGU

Here's a podcast that has a bit about it: https://www.riggingdojo.com/?p=3570

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBf9f6Bw0PU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
So a few days back I asked about video cards and I'm back with a couple questions y'all might have answers to.

First, I'm upgrading from a GTX 780, and was looking to get a gtx 1080 Ti since the prices have dropped due to the new RTX line coming out soon. However, it looks like the jump from the 780 to a 1070 is significant, but from 1070 to 1080, I'm not seeing that big a jump in performance to justify the cost increase. This isn't a necessity, so now I'm leaning to getting a 1070 and saving myself $200. Does that sound like a good plan, or is there some reason why it would be smarter to jump all the way to a 1080 Ti? I have no plans to upgrade again for a while and certainly wouldn't be looking at an RTX card for quite some time. One thing I just noticed that is odd is that the 1070 Ti is not listed by Nvidia as a Cuda-enabled product.

Second, when I asked about brands in the part-picking thread, someone said the flavor of the card might be an issue with rendering software- they have all these versions of cards, FTW, OC, SC, SC2. Does that sound like something I need to consider when picking the exact model of the card?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Do you plan to do gpu rendering, or is it just for a viewport? If just viewport you'll be fine with a 1070. 1080ti minimum for gpu rendering.

I don't know what you mean by flavor of card, never seen those acronyms before.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The acronyms are just stuff like OVERCLOCK!!!! or SUPERCOOL and don't actually mean anything, they're just acronyms manufacturers slap onto gpus where they've used a different kind of cooler, or factory overclocked the card by 100Mhz, or what have you.

I don't see how the flavour would in any way impact rendering, outside of the consideration that a better cooled one would be a better bet for long term usage. (And that an overclocked one will have a higher base clock, but you can just have the card automatically overclock inside it's thermal profile anyhow, so they're not super relevant.)

It's also very worth mentioning that once the RTX cards come out, prices on used 10-series gpus will drop quite a bit, if you want to grab a better card for less.

Dunno where you saw that the 1070 Ti isn't CUDA enabled, it's on nvidia's list of supported gpus for CUDA. ( https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/cuda/supported-gpus )

Brandwise, I've had ASUS gpus for the last 2-3 gpus and I've been perfectly happy with them, the STRIX cards usually have 3 fans, and the passive cooling on them ( due to large heatsink.) is good enough that my gpu's fan isn't even on most of the time during normal desktop usage + browsing.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Modo + Octane for rendering, anyone using this combo? Looking for opinions

I´m currently on Modo indie which is extremely cheap, but lack of gpu rendering is pushing me to get full versions, even though I’m a hobbyist it might be worth it in terms of time saved (seen differences of hours in Modo compared to minutes in Octane), plus the renderer looks nicer than the default Modo(too noisy, something I can’t pinpoint)

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

cubicle gangster posted:

Do you plan to do gpu rendering, or is it just for a viewport? If just viewport you'll be fine with a 1070. 1080ti minimum for gpu rendering.

I was thinking of trying out Redshift with Houdini. I'm not working in production, so while I would of course appreciate more speed, I'm never going to be in a situation where my job depends on something being completed by a certain date. So my follow up would be, if I went with a 1070, would I just have somewhat longer render times or is it one of those cases where the minimum specs posted by the company really aren't the minimum specs and I'll struggle to get anything done? Would the difference be so substantial that I'd be angry with myself for not going for the 1080 Ti just in terms of quality of life?

SubNat posted:

Dunno where you saw that the 1070 Ti isn't CUDA enabled, it's on nvidia's list of supported gpus for CUDA. ( https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/cuda/supported-gpus )

Brandwise, I've had ASUS gpus for the last 2-3 gpus and I've been perfectly happy with them, the STRIX cards usually have 3 fans, and the passive cooling on them ( due to large heatsink.) is good enough that my gpu's fan isn't even on most of the time during normal desktop usage + browsing.

The System Requirements page at Redshift links to an Nvidia page that lists Cuda-enabled cards, and under the Geforce line the 1070 Ti is oddly not listed, but yeah after going to the card's product page they do have it listed as an included technology. Must have just been an oversight.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Anybody use PFTrack and see the new features today in their live webinar?

That new dashboard is pretty slick. The design is a bit 90s and at first I was like "ughhh... what?" but the functionality is pretty legit. The project browser, ability to archive and unarchive right there, snapshots, hardware manager, GPU manager, all that poo poo... right there. Kinda neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAZYy5U7p0I&t=370s

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Listerine posted:

So my follow up would be, if I went with a 1070, would I just have somewhat longer render times

mostly just longer render times. there's a memory difference on the cards but you can work around that if it's not production work.

it's a pile of poo poo to try and read because there are thousands of entries, but from the looks of this - https://benchmark.chaosgroup.com/gpu?page=33
a single 1080Ti is about the same as 2 1070's (44s ish)
a single 1070 is about 80s.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Guess adding quadrupeds to my reel really helped, I'm getting interviews at the big VFX studios now. Will be refreshing to try something new after all the kids shows.

Edit: Accepted a job in Montreal. Any other CG goons work there?

Ccs fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 21, 2018

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

cubicle gangster posted:

mostly just longer render times. there's a memory difference on the cards but you can work around that if it's not production work.

it's a pile of poo poo to try and read because there are thousands of entries, but from the looks of this - https://benchmark.chaosgroup.com/gpu?page=33
a single 1080Ti is about the same as 2 1070's (44s ish)
a single 1070 is about 80s.

Yeah okay, I think the extra $200 is worth it for a doubling in speed, thank you very much for the response.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone know of any 3D software for the iPad?

Texture painting app would be awesome

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

echinopsis posted:

Anyone know of any 3D software for the iPad?

Texture painting app would be awesome

There’s Putty 3D and Forger, two sculpting apps, but both are sort of lacking in my opinion. Mainly in interface and control, they’re just not easy to use. Could just be me though, as I’m using them on an iPhone 7+.

Texture painting is even harder to do - you can kinda do basic painting in the above, but there’s nothing like substance out there, iirc.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Ccs posted:

Guess adding quadrupeds to my reel really helped, I'm getting interviews at the big VFX studios now. Will be refreshing to try something new after all the kids shows.

Congrats!! What kind of stuff will you be doing?

I hope you have some fun with the new gig!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

uMake - 3D CAD Modeling for iPad https://itunes.apple.com/mx/app/umake-3d-cad-modeling/id1042246861?mt=8

Subscription based but I tried the beta and it seemed fine, if this sort of thing helps

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Gasmask posted:

Congrats!! What kind of stuff will you be doing?

I hope you have some fun with the new gig!

Animating, haha. Not allowed to say on what or any details. Thanks though! In a year or so I'm hoping I can post what I worked on.
Met some cool people in Montreal the other day, so many artists are up here from South America. One guy who works in layout used to be a director for Cartoon Network shorts in South America and directed some award winning films. But everyone wants to come to Canada because there's more work and there's the possibility of settling down in a place that's more stable than their home countries. True for me too, since I escaped from America. I can't imagine being a contract worker in America, the amount you'd have to pay for health insurance is insane.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Gasmask posted:

There’s Putty 3D and Forger, two sculpting apps, but both are sort of lacking in my opinion. Mainly in interface and control, they’re just not easy to use. Could just be me though, as I’m using them on an iPhone 7+.

Texture painting is even harder to do - you can kinda do basic painting in the above, but there’s nothing like substance out there, iirc.

A shame, because the iPencil is good on the Apple Pad

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Ccs posted:

Congratulations man!

Having a good quadruped on your reel as a rig/animation is pretty much the quickest/surefire way to get into a VFX company. Your GF is already out there right? The main thing I'm concerned about regarding Quebec is... its a country within a country compared to the rest of Canada, to the point where they are really huge weirdos on permanent residency requirements. Anywhere else in Canada you can get PR status with just English but not Quebec.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Does anyone have experience with https://www.sheepit-renderfarm.com/? Basically, you get credit by rendering other people's stuff, and then get your stuff rendered by the farm, and the advantage there would be that you could build up credit with your idle time and then get stuff rendered faster when you have something to render. It sounds pretty nifty on paper and I'm curious if it's as good as it sounds.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Big K of Justice posted:

Congratulations man!

Having a good quadruped on your reel as a rig/animation is pretty much the quickest/surefire way to get into a VFX company. Your GF is already out there right? The main thing I'm concerned about regarding Quebec is... its a country within a country compared to the rest of Canada, to the point where they are really huge weirdos on permanent residency requirements. Anywhere else in Canada you can get PR status with just English but not Quebec.

Thanks! Yeah I’m running into a lot of artists from abroad who are getting worried about PR cause of the language thing. Thankfully I already have PR from my years on the east coast so I don’t have to go through that hurdle. I’m taking French lessons online though because I’d like to stay in Quebec long term as long as work remains consistent and the rents stay affordable!

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/devongiehl/status/1044251659159760896

man this whole telltale debacle has cemented my view that the games industry is badly in need of unions (and that gamers are poo poo)

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
anyway, support gameworkersunite! https://www.gameworkersunite.org/

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/thatJaneNg/status/1044469939887734785

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The gamer community makes me glad I work mostly in advertising, where no group cares about, or even wants the content I create.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Lol that dude has a Nazi Donald Duck avatar.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I've had a great experience working at a video game company :blush:

The TT story is crazy and definitely sounds like they are potentially getting around the WARN act to turn to an outsource model but who knows. Super lovely but I do think you kind of have to keep check of where you are and if you are being exploited or the place seems in danger it's time to be pro-active. Dropping everyone with no benefits or healthcare is extremely irresponsible and hosed and should be illegal imo.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I'm going to say something that might be unpopular but relevant to TT. I used to work with a person that got hired a long time ago to work at TT. That person was really bad in 3DCG and had an atrocious portfolio and people weren't really sad to so that person be let go. When I found out TT hired that person, It immediately made me weary of that place and what's happened over there since makes a lot of sense.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
CG talk just redesigned their website (again)
I think this one might be a little on the nose

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

^Lol well if you can't beat em join em I guess.

Check out this stylized League of Legends thing. While it sorta sucks that they don't have a dedicated in house cinematics department like Blizzard, it means every League of Legends video has a wildly different and awesome look. This is probably my personal favorite for perfectly skirting the line between stylized cell-shading and CG rendering. Every frame is like a Magic card.

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1044977395227381761

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Odddzy posted:

I'm going to say something that might be unpopular but relevant to TT. I used to work with a person that got hired a long time ago to work at TT. That person was really bad in 3DCG and had an atrocious portfolio and people weren't really sad to so that person be let go. When I found out TT hired that person, It immediately made me weary of that place and what's happened over there since makes a lot of sense.

This exact scenario was what made me not respond to them trying to get in touch with me. They hired a person my previous company wouldn't hire (because honestly his portfolio was bad, and I agreed despite that person wanting a referral from me). You can usually tell a studio's overall intention and goals by how thorough or patient they are with the hiring/recruiting process. It's also never a good thing when studios actively try to hire people who they suspect will be cheaper than a more qualified or harder to acquire candidate.

My portfolio is so out of date these days that it's not really indicative of my skills, but it's because I have so much NDA stuff that has either never been released or the company just won't allow me to post it publicly. I still show NDA stuff to prospective employers on a passworded site unless the title is unannounced, in which case I abide by the NDA because I know how much work and money goes into marketing and launch/announce campaigns.

That being said, my current job and company is pretty fantastic and the people I work with are all so much more diverse and friendly than previous places I've been. And it's nice to finally, after 8 years of travelling around for work...be working close to home. It means so much to me, because that was my goal when I first got started in games. I still don't think I'll stay in games long enough to retire from them, there's much more I want to do and it really is a volatile industry.

Also, I do wish that games (or even the individual trades within them) unionized. I would have no problem paying a bit for trade unity and job security.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

What are you thinking of doing after games? It's always seemed like an niche industry that's hard to transfer from unless you're a programmer.