Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Probably won't have too many parts to work with since we'll need to balance a good kill/death/escape ratio that falls within the expected newbie dungeon rates, plus there's going to be people looking to retrieve their loved ones' bodies from the dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Seed. I continue to be pro posting a job to the board for someone better at combat to take on Havar for us.

With a bonus if they can plant a seashell on him first.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Lone Badger posted:

1B. If we set this up right we can use the dungeon to identify heroes who would be better suited working for the other side. Capable lieutenants are always worth having.
Clone the likely ones and age up the clones, then shove them out the door as "oh no another victim of the amnesia gem!"

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Turn the fallen into Dungeoness Crabzombies. We have to use that pun.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

1B if we control what the new heroes train on, we can control what they know, so that way, our traps are either new to them, or don’t work as expected, so our defenses get more effective, also, we can poach the occasional hero to become a lieutenant. Win win.

If we can vote on both, 2B if not, go with my initial 1B vote

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
'Looming threat required'. Lol. If it's a neighboring kingdom to the Asherite homeland we can phone that one in.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Outrail posted:

'Looming threat required'. Lol. If it's a neighboring kingdom to the Asherite homeland we can phone that one in.

Excuse me? We are a professional.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

THE MISTRESS OF THE DEEPS REQUIRES VOLUNTEERS FOR A BRIEF SERVICE and possible body modification IN EXCHANGE FOR HER FAVOR. NO SOUL REQUIRED.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Shogeton posted:

Excuse me? We are a professional.

There's a difference between 'good work' and 'good enough' when working to a set goal.

Good enough is always good, but good isn't always good enough.

Professionals ensure their work is always good enough.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

We should figure out necromancy so we can go full Asherah. Undead Sahaugin GO!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Blasphemaster posted:

Turn the fallen into Dungeoness Crabzombies. We have to use that pun.

This is brilliant

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Can we keep our current home base near the Sapphire Isle the way it is and make our next Dungeon ice water and undead-themed?

I don't want to mess with the defenses we already have in place by adding a virulent infection vector to our lovely bespoke minions.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Turn some Vampire Squids sapient, hire someone to give them actual vampirism, and have them patrol the waters. Complete with spooky capes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Blasphemaster posted:

Turn some Vampire Squids sapient, hire someone to give them actual vampirism, and have them patrol the waters. Complete with spooky capes.

Yes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Blasphemaster posted:

spooky capes.

So, cuttlefish.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I think what we can all agree on is that the intersection surface of marine predators and necromantic endeavor is both large and fascinating.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Not so much.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

2a.

If we're going to keep that thing around, let's make sure it isn't going to try to eat us or something.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Cape Fear Squid

With the work done, Sarga realised that something was missing, something with a personal touch.
She decided that it had been far to long since she created some minions, and it was time to get her hands dirty again.
She began to leaf through her books, idlily looking for inspiration. She of course ended up in the section with tentacles, and after discarding the Kraken as to large for her purpose, she saw an entry on Vampire squids. They looked perfect, but their deep sea habitat made them slightly troublesome to move here.
Then she hit on an idea - she could cross them with Octopuses, to give them colour changing and climate traits, then add in some actual vampiric tendencies and bump up their intelligence to produce the perfect minions.

Work began, the first prototypes were a disaster, one exploded from pressure differentials, the other was apparently vegan and starved to death. The third had to many tentacles for even Sarga to be comfortable with.
Then she got her rhythm. And in a few other tests she was ready to mass convert her new creations. They would be able to feed themselves, but she wanted them to be special.
It turns out, finding a suicidal vampire was not all that hard. They were a moody bunch, and many who were turned did so because they thought it would be all nubile virgins and romantic nights. In reality for most vampires it was old people and cattle, they tended to miss the sun and blood was to salty for the human palite.

The one who entered the lab had gone full on baroque. Frills were to found at the ends of most places of his clothing, white face paint made him look pail rather than dead, and black and red seemed to be the only colours. He moped into the lab and sat in the chair.
”Lets do Zeeth.” he said around fangs. The accent was more from the reshaping of the mouth than anything else.
”Before we begin, I want to confirm this is a terminal procedure, and you understand this.”
”Yes Yes! I vont to bring this pail existansh to an end!”
”Sit back and say goodbye then!” having gotten that, and before the vampire could gloom up the place any more, she pulled the switch.
Lightning pulsed between the tubes and into the tank, giant syringes stabbed into the vampire and sucked him dry in seconds, His corpse exploded and Sarga began to cough as she inhaled Vampire dust.
As the dust settled, she cleared her eyes and staggered over to the tank she had been holding the test subjects in, she looked in and saw twenty forms moving. One popped to the surface and shouted.
”I Liv! And I Vant to Drink some Blud!”
”Gods drat it!” was Sargas reply.

After she had cleaned herself up, and had the lab cleaned as well, (the dust was kept, you never know when something like that would come in handy.) She had a good talk to her new minions. They were intelligent, they had inherited the annoying over dramatic tendencies of their host, but apart from a long cape like appendage growing from the back, they were perfect. Their colour changing abilities allowed them to hide well, they were quick and could immobilize prey quickly.
This was not to say there were not a few, erm, teething troubles. In the first week they found a beaver person drained of all blood. The Octaquids were not stupid enough to try and hide it, but they had to have a severe lesson on who they could and couldn’t eat.
A few days later one of them turned up staked. The lack of a heart had caused the attacker some issues, but they had experimented until they had got it right. Sarga then had to have a chat with her other minions about not killing the defense system.
With that, if not sorted out, at least moved to a back burner of hatred and resentment, she moved on to other things.

She took a trip to the Dark Isle, and after a normal bit of pampering, she retrieved the Elven artifact from the vault. She was not sure why, but part of her had been clamouring to know what is was.
Returning to the Grotto, she began her tests - she was not sure if it was a seed, a magical item or a religious artifact.
Three days of searching and testing left her none the wiser.

Whatever it was, it seemed to thirst for power, it was trying to draw power from its surroundings, and the box seemed to have a nullifying effect on this.
She had to know what it was, but how to properly test it.

do we
A - Plant it in the ground on the Sapphire Isle?
B - Give it a small amount of power?
C - Give it a large amount of power?
D - Give it to Asherah to see what his Priests think?
E - Have a beaverperson hold it.
F - Put it back.
G - Something else.

quote:

Mana = 100/450
2 Manawells 1000/1000, 1000/1000
Gold = 63,380 (13,380 in the vault at the Sapphire Grotto)
Income per week - 750
Wages per week - 150
Net Per week - 600

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.
Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.
Asherah - the Hammerheaded “god”
Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
Krull and Khrol, Seatrolls.
75 Beaverpeople. 10 beaverkids. (lead by Holta.)
19 Vampire Octasquids.
A selection of Bodkin Eels.
6 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
12 Crabbersons.
Mining rate - 750 gold a week. (0 crates on hand)

Well defended entrance.
Spike traps, magical traps, blast doors, loop holes, teleportation zones and a bound sea elemental.
Living quarters - attuned to restore 4 mana a day.
Barracks for 50 people.
Large lab.
A library full or rare books.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

AB - Plant it and power it!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Anticheese posted:

AB - Plant it and power it!

ayup

srusnak102
Apr 13, 2015
AG:let's plant it in a mana well. I mean if we are going to give it power let's give it power.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

:3: awww vegan octosquid starving to death

AB

*place hand over eyes, press button from behind sandbags with stick*

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

srusnak102 posted:

AG:let's plant it in a mana well. I mean if we are going to give it power let's give it power.

AG-manawell gently caress it yolo

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

dont be mean to me posted:

AG-manawell gently caress it yolo

We've got a phylactery, so that isn't quite true. Which means we should do it as hard and fast as we can.

Maybe like... offsite, though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Relentless posted:

We've got a phylactery, so that isn't quite true. Which means we should do it as hard and fast as we can.

Maybe like... offsite, though.
Plant it in the fuckyou volcano, feed it the last dribbles of the mana font.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

We should absolutely be feeding this thing Scarga-brand evil mana, but in controlled quantities.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

wiegieman posted:

We should absolutely be feeding this thing Scarga-brand evil mana, but in controlled quantities.

While I'm all for accidentally reviving an evil elvish god, maybe we find someplace secure to do so not in the middle of our base. Volcano sounds like a good plan, if its cool we help it feed, but if it tries to overpower us we send it into lava, or we slip away and just pretend we didn't do anything while it ravages a part of the world fara way from us.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Nephzinho posted:

While I'm all for accidentally reviving an evil elvish god, maybe we find someplace secure to do so not in the middle of our base. Volcano sounds like a good plan, if its cool we help it feed, but if it tries to overpower us we send it into lava, or we slip away and just pretend we didn't do anything while it ravages a part of the world fara way from us.

I mean, that's where they left the twig. Not our fault the box we don't know about opened on it's own and fell into a Manawell we forgot we left there.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Let's splice it with seaweed DNA before we activate it so it matches our underwater theme.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

What is the box made of? Can we build a room in the Grotto with similar properties in which to test the seed safely? If it ends up being something useful/something we'd want to protect or imprison it will have been bad to plant at the volcano.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

Let's splice it with seaweed DNA before we activate it so it matches our underwater theme.

I'm thinking we grow it into the living throne at the center of the future kelp forest dungeon.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Contact someone at our University in the Dark Isles who knows Elf Artifacts. All we need is a tree branch that sucks up all the water on a given plane of existence.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Guys, don't forget where this Seed came from. I am all for planting it somewhere that is safe for us and our loyal minions, but It is incredibly valuable and will raise all sorts of Elven (+elven hero) attention that we DO NOT WANT just yet.

If we plant the seed in the Sapphire Isle, as soon as word of its existence gets heard by elven ears they will piece together who took the seed from their shipping boats in the first place. NOT GOOD.

I vote we:

F: Put It Back (for now)

and

G: Incorporate it in our next big above-ocean-level dungeon, in a well-defended grove.

Then, since we're not doing anything, let's hit the job boards!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Lolling at the Vampiric Octosquid genisis. Obviously they're 'Zeeths'?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I am Moot. (LEGALLY DISTINCT FROM ANY MARVEL PROPERTIES)

Experimentation was the key. While the urge was there to throw this thing all the power she could, she knew that would be a bad idea.

So, she returned to the site of her greatest success, the Eel Volcano. The volcano was finally setting down after a year of eruptions, and the land bridge was now a couple of miles wide. The tear in the earth core she had made was now a good kilometer above sea level now.
The area around her was black wasteland, the constant eruptions having scoured it clean time and time again, but there was a nice layer of ash she could plant the artifact in.
Once she had done this, she stepped back and used Bad Tidings to push some power into it. She felt the artifact awaken, and begin to move. She quickly began to cast a binding spell on it, and stepped back as a tree erupted from the earth and grew before her eyes. She throttled back the power and weaned it off as the tree grew to the size of a fifty year old oak in five minutes.

As she ended the flow of mana, a face began to form in the front of the tree, branches thickened into arms, legs began to form, but she stopped that with her spell.
”I must grow!” the tree roared.
”I control you! You will only grow when I wish it.” Sarga declared back. ”Tell me who you are spirit!”
”I am Moot Rootstock. Father of the Ents and lord of the woods.”
”An Ent? There have not been ents in thousands of years!” Sarga was shocked. All had heard tales of the Ents, guardians of the forests. They had been long lived creatures who hated most forms of humanoids. They had gotten on with the elves for a long time, until the spread of civilization and increasing numbers had lead to them trying to cull the Elvish population.
It was about that time that the Elves discovered Entwood made for powerful magical items - bows that shot further than any other, shields that were lighter than steel and more durable.

The elves always portrayed themselves as tree hugging hippies, but here they showed their true colours, while modern elves tried to distance themselves from their cannibalistic forebears, but they can't hide the truth - here they committed genocide on the Ents to win back control of the forests they so loved, then they reshaped them to fit their own needs.
The modern elf was a tree dwelling socialite, with all the Faye, as the humans now called them, fleeing to the Dark Isle to continue their darker existence.The ents had gone the way of history.
Until now.

”GONE! My children! how!” the tree exclaimed, writing against the binding spell.
”The elves killed them, chopped them up and made them into trinkets. Nowadays Entish wood is one of the most valuable artifacts. The elves treasure it above all else.”
”They will PAY for this! You will all pay for this! I shall have my revenge and return my people to the forests!” He descended into a monologue and Sarga switched off for a while, she had to decide what to do, she had just woken the last remaining member of a very powerful species, what she did next would be very important. She could feel him strain against her spell, he must be drawing power from the sun and the ash around her. She suddenly remembered that volcanic ash was very fertile, and she had planted a tree god into the perfect postion.
She would have to think quick.

So, what do we do with this basically god-like creature?
Gods created = 1 Gods released = 1.

A - Kill it and harvest the wood for magical items.
B - Release it - Sarga is a creature of the sea and cares not for the land.
C - Try and teleport it to the middle of an eleven forest.
D - Make a deal and work along side it.
E - promise to bring it some Faye - who may well worship it. (and charge them for the privilege)
F - Something else.

quote:

Mana = 50/450
2 Manawells 1000/1000, 1000/1000
Gold = 63,380 (13,380 in the vault at the Sapphire Grotto)
Income per week - 750
Wages per week - 150
Net Per week - 600

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.
Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.
Asherah - the Hammerheaded “god”
Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
Krull and Khrol, Seatrolls.
75 Beaverpeople. 10 beaverkids. (lead by Holta.)
19 Vampire Octasquids.
A selection of Bodkin Eels.
6 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
12 Crabbersons.
Mining rate - 750 gold a week. (0 crates on hand)

Well defended entrance.
Spike traps, magical traps, blast doors, loop holes, teleportation zones and a bound sea elemental.
Living quarters - attuned to restore 4 mana a day.
Barracks for 50 people.
Large lab.
A library full or rare books.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can we short Entwood futures back on the Isle? I mean, if he's the /father/ of Ents there may be a bunch more around soon.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

D. I think we've found our next mission!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D

Let's help the Ents secretly return, surprising the elves when it's too late. We could create new breeds of guerrilla Ent capable of ambushing the elves and heavy units that can destroy their cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
D - "Elves, gently caress 'em, right? Speaking of which what do you need for acorns and can I get it for you." Followed by airdropping them all over the world like at the start of Day of the Triffids.